Tröegs Sunshine Pils - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2002)
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a straw gold color with a small frothy head. Some lacing, average retention.

Aroma is pretty nice: full of spicy, earthy and grassy hops.

The flavor is good. It's a well-balanced pilsner. The elevated hop character is balanced by a solid, bready continental maltiness augmented with crystal malt. This crystal malt provides some sweetness I don't find totally fitting for the style, but in the end, I like this beer. Bitterness is relatively high for the style. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated but oddly, a bit soapy.

This goes down easy, even though there are other pilsners I'd reach for. B.

dasenebler, Jun 11, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours lemon yellow with snow white head that leaves sheets of lace. Butter and spice nose. Shortbread malts and grassy hops with some lemon. Tight leave, light, no cling.

Hoppy, but not enough to push it past other good German pils into being uniquely American. In other words, doesn't hold a candle to Prima.

StJamesGate, Jun 08, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle courtesy of johnmichaelsen, gracias amigo! Bottled on code of 033010. Pours a very clear medium yellow color with a nice cap of white foam. Retention is a little above average and the lacing is really nice.

Nose is pale malt graininess and a nice flowery, grassy hop aroma. Very pleasant, I could sniff on this all day.

I can see where the crystal malt comes in as it does have a sweet side to it. Hops contribute a zesty and grassy flavor but lean more towards a bittering finish. I get some minerality at the end too. Not too much to complain about, but I could use a bit of a bump in body and more hop flavor. A more than solid pilsner and PA residents are lucky to have so many good ones readily at hand.

twiggamortis420, Jun 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to djrn2 for sending me this beer as an extra.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is earthy hops with pilsner malt. The flavor is pilsner malt as well as earthy and spicy hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. The beer is very drinkable.

Mora2000, Jun 01, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to aglose45 for this. 12oz.

A: Pale yellow in color with a stark white head, right at a quarter of an inch, pretty decent retention and nice lacing. Excellent clarity, and there's a fair amount of carbonation moving through this one. Nice looking beer.

S: Nose is subtle, with a nice grainy pils malt nose and a decent blast of spicy noble hops, and maybe even a little bit of a citrus to it, lemon maybe. Nice.

T: Has all the qualities I look for in a well made lager. Initial malty grainy pilsner malt profile that fades into a strong hop bitterness. Bitterness is pronounced and of the classic noble hop variety with a hint of citrus, but a lot more towards the strong spicy flavors. All in all very flavorful.

M: A little on the fuller side, nice carbonation, quite crisp and dry. Refreshing.

D: This would be a great one to watch a baseball game with. This wouldn't be hard to drink a whole sixer of. Nicely done. Very flavorful pils. I wish more craft breweries would focus on making stellar lagers. Excellent!

Thanks Adam!

pokesbeerdude, May 22, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Picked up a 12 of Troegs new Anthology mix pack the other day to share over the weekend. Sunshine Pils is the first one to come out of that box. Poured a crystal clear pale, golden yellow in color. It started with a fluffy white head and although it settled down it did leave a nice layer on top of the beer as I drank it. Pretty decent lacing on the glass as well.

The aroma has a zesty, lemony citrus flavor to it with an earthy, spicy, noble hop presence as well. Little bit of a grassy flavor present in the aroma as well. The taste has also shows the lemony citrus flavor up front with the noble hops coming through more in the finish. It has a bit of graininess to it as well that comes through more in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average, which fits the style pretty well. Drinkability is good, it's a very well made pilsner style beer. The Noble hops gave it some nice earthy hop spiciness to it that I liked. Great summer, lighter style beer. In relation to others in the style I think this one does pretty well.

billab914, May 22, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle, served in a standard pint glass

A - very light in color, pale golden and clear. very minial (less than quarter inch) of very loose bubbly foam which settled quickly to a thin film and ring.

S - lightly grassy, grains, some noble hops...delicate. lemon peel adds a subtle tart and fruitniness.

T - lemon peel is very present, making the beer almost slightly tart. hops quickly come in and balance it out with a light yet pleasant grassy bitterness. dull grains meld it all together.

M - very light body, carbonation is present yet lacking just a bit for an extra *bump* to the flavor profile.

D - a decent German Pils, made drinkable by being on the lighter side in both flavor and body. not my favorite but gets the job done - good hot weather beer.

Stigs, May 17, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

A- A bright yellowed with a small white fluffy head. Strong carbonation can be seen in the glass as head disappears rather quickly leaving behind little amounts of lacing.

S- Cereal grains along with a malty sweetness gather up front on the nose followed by notes of lemon and orange intermingling on the back end of the beer.

T- Bready flavor along with some biscuit malt that blends into a slight malt sweetness. Sweet lemon and citrus flavor round out the middle of the beer as it slides into a slight hop bitterness that lingers on the back of the tongue for some time.

M- Thin mouthfeel that makes this a refreshing beer on a nice warm day. Lack of carbonation holds this beer back a little.

D- Easily drinkable, but not that much complexity going on in this beer which would make me second guess on whether or not to have another.

Lolli1315, May 14, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -23%

Acuired as a trade extra. Liked it for the style. Just finnished the lawn and couldn't think of a better beer for 90 degree weather. I hate to say this but there are many other beers out there which could perform the same or better. This I would keep on hand for lake or river days.

cochell, May 14, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -27%

Troegs is a top tier micro-brewery and I enjoy almost all of there beers this is probably the only one out of 7 of their beers that I'd had that I wouldn't highly recommend.

A-Gold, average frothy head
S-grass, wheat
T-grassy, then metalic(yes metalic), then very slight hops
M-smooth on the palate and good fermentation
D-not my favorite. Not really sure when I'd recommend this beer. I'd opt for a Heineken over this but #1 choice for easy drinking summer beer is Harpoon Summer (Kolsch)

Cheers!

klink40, May 14, 2010

pours a transparent golden yellow with a bit of a sparkle to it and soft carbonation. spare to no head lacing was the same all but non existent. slight citrus hop smell with some hints of lemon. light malty straw like flavor. light body and texture. light bitter metallic like finish and short flavor duration. o.k. beer, probably wouldn't drink again. first troegs beer i've had that i didn't love.

berpwillie, May 12, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

This is the first Pilsner I have tried since being blown away by the Sam Adams Noble Pils. Before having the Noble Pils I can't remember the last time I even drank a Pilsner. I will admit, it's never been a style I have been enamoured by but perhaps I simply haven't tried enough.

That being said... this was not my first taste of Troegs. I have had the Troegenator and the Nugget Nectar. Both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was hot this past Friday so I decided to go with a summer style beer. I usually go for the traditional wheat. In this instance I went for the Pilsner.

The appearance was a little lighter than what I was expecting. It poured a very clear golden color. It wasn't necessary a bad color just one that didn't entice me. It had a fairly small head and some light lacing.

The smell wasn't too complex. There was a citrus smell that's common with most summer style beers that came through. I also noted it smelled pretty hoppy but not too overpowering.

The taste and mouthfeel were both good (taste more so than the mouthfeel). It tasted a lot stronger than it looked that's for sure. I noticed the heavy hops and lemon notes. There was a nice bitter aftertaste which is probably in line with most craft Pilsners. Other than that I can't say I was really wowed. The mouthfeel was pretty average.

I could definitely polish off a few of these. However, on a hot day I was looking for a little more. If anything I would enjoy this beer more late winter/ early spring. That being said, it is certainly not a bad offering but my least favorite from Troegs so far.

skullsplitter, May 11, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- A very pale yellow with a 2 finger white head that quickly fades. Leaves nice lacing. I would like to see the beer itself be a little darker, but alas.

S- Not much of an aroma...I get some lemon, and some noble hops. Thats about all, and its not really deep enough for me to get a good feel of it.

T- Its almost bitter because of the lemon...but its nice. The noble hops don't come through all that much, though. Its very summery, at the least.

M- Light and crisp. There is some carbonation. But really...nice and light. Not a whole lot to say about it.

D- The lack of hops makes this quite drinkable. This is a fantastic beer to have at a ballgame.

bigfnjoe, May 11, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Beer served in a strange. Beer is light yellow and clear. Forms a big white head of medium and large bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and steady.

Aroma is really weak. Nearly nothing.

Beer is thin and has a slight aftertaste of grains. Its a little bitter in the back and I wasn't expecting it. Overall its light and simple.

drabmuh, May 11, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

Feint aroma of artificial lemon dish soap, color to match. Actually, somewhat resembles Bud in color, though slightly more yellow. Not pretty to look at, based on that.

From the pour, fridge-cold to glass, a nice bitter, lemony zing. Pencil-width head. Crisp, dry, champagne-like finish while it's still bubbling a bit. As it adjusts to the room, and all but loses the bubbles, the lemon comes out further, honey flavors take shape, and the feel smooths out, becoming, I admit, a moderately decent swig. The lemony quality dominates to the last drop.

Not all that bad, but not on par with the plis elite. No need to return.

Bouleboubier, May 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a duvel tulip

Appearance: Pours a piss golden yellow color, little head and crystal clear. Bright vibrant yellow piss color.

Smell: Smells like a true german pilsner. Nice european aroma comming through with a solid crispness on the back end. Lemon peel and pith comes to mind.

Taste: Tastes very sound and crisp. Light in approach with lingering hop bite and disjointed bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly over carbonated, almost club soda like. Tingly hop bitterness leaves the palate semi-dry.

Drinkablility: Nice summer sipper. Great "lawnmower beer" but it has the umph to stand up to most white meat dishes.

Augustiner719, May 08, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Got this from Cmurren25 in a gracious thank you box.

I poured this into a standard pint and was surprised at how bright ad clear it was. It has been quite some time since I've had a Pils, so forgive this review.

This poured up with less than 1 finger of head, but the lacing is quite remarkable for such a light brew. And I mean light not just in the color. The body is light and airy and very refreshing. A floral and citrusy nose is certainly translated to the taste in a pleasant, innoffensive way. This is a good beer for those times when you want a beer, but you don't want to review it and think about it too much... It is like reading Ayn Rand. It passes the time.

I smell a lemony scent right now, as well a spicy note that mingles with the bittering hops and really smacks on the finish. I will blame the Hallertauer hops for that one! This really is a pretty refreshing beer, and the body, mouthfeel and carbonation level are in line with style. This isn't really my favorite style, so I'm trying to be objective--- but as decent as this beer is, I personally don't have any interest in drinking it again. If I wanted a hot weather beer, I would grab a nice pale ale or even a wheat beer over this one. That, is of course my preference, but I could understand why this particular beer is liked so much and is rated as highly as it is.

Overall impression- This is a great version of a style that I don't really care for. As such, it deserves a B+/A-, but this will remain a beer that I don't want to really have again.

AleWatcher, May 07, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

I love Troegs beers and wanted to try this since I'm a hophead and this is supposed to be a hoppy pilsner. It didn't let me down.

Pours a very very light clear yellow with a decent head that falls pretty quickly. To my surprise, it left a couple nice rings of lacing. Head is bright white and pretty rich for a pilsner.

Smell wasn't bad. Not as floral as I thought it would be since it's supposed to be a hoppy pilsner. Definately a nice smell and true to style just nothing special. Smells of pure ingredients malt and hops and no adjuncts.

Taste was surprisingly good. Bready and faint hop flavor. The bitterness is the high point of this beers taste. It has a refreshing long lingering bitterness that hits the spot for me. Tastes like a high quality pils but has more hop bite than your average pils. Very nice.

Mouthfeel was to style. I think the carbonation is lower than most pilsners but I like it cuz I don't like overcarbed fizzy beer. Light but not watery mouthfeel. Light fizz in the beginning but smoother medium carbonated feel halfway through.

Drinks like a light beer packed with flavor. Could drink this like Miller Lite but actually enjoy it. Great Summer brew.

BigDoug, May 06, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Review from notes taken 3/29/10

On tap in the Troegs sample room it pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a white head that displays minimal retension and a little bit of lace clings upon the glass. Nose is slight piney hops with a note of sulfur twang. Taste is bitter upfront from the pine-like hops with some notes of sulfur clashing with the slight malty character. Finishes relatively clean and crisp, slightly bitter. Light feel with minor carbonation.

stakem, Apr 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

I just got done mowing the lawn...time for Sunshine Pils! Bottled in early March 2010, so you know it's fresh! Standard, boring, pint glass.

A: Crystal clear and very light straw. slight head that dissipates into a 1/32" thin disk. Wispy lacing.

S: Grassy, fresh scents. Nice. Nothing overpowering, just pleasant.

T: big flavor for a nearly clear beer. Any sweetness that might be there gives way quickly to a nice bitter finish.

M: watery, with clean, crisp finish.

D: Yeah, it is in a style that is inherently drinkable and it never failed to deliver. Complex enough to keep you interested, not heavy enought to stop you from the next.

I like. I will be seeking a full case of this for summer season sipping.

Scrapss, Apr 27, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer pours a solid gold color with not much head, but considerable lacing. The nose is intriguing, consisting of honey, fresh mown lawn and hay. The flavor profile is attractive, with some light honey initially that is quickly pushed aside by some biscuit, bread dough and hoppy bitterness. It's nice, though I do wish the beer had a bit more flavor. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and drinkability is quite good. The alcohol is barely noticeable in this well made beer, and it comes across as light, crisp, and refreshingly bitter.

Very nice beer.

John_M, Apr 27, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is of malts, some sweetness. Taste is crisp, some hops, a bit sour. Not a whole lot going on here. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this makes for a very mediocre offering.

tone77, Apr 18, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazy pale golden straw yellow color. One finger white head comes and goes at a quick rate. Light ring lacing on the glass.

S- Light sweet malts mix well with a grassy hop scent. Some citrusy lemon grass earthy hints here and there as well.

T- Sweet malts come into play a little more in the front of this than I would have liked. Noble hops are a little faded and only come out in hints here and there. Light grassy notes in the entire beer. Sweet finish on this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Light noble hops and a sweetgrass flavor is left on the palate and in the aftertaste. Clean flavors throughout.

D- Refreshing drinker that I would love to get my hands on more of. Pleasant surprise from the boys at Troegs

alleykatking, Jan 08, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a fairly transparent gold into a pilsner glass, with obvious quantities of carbonation, two fingers of bright white head, and great lacing. The smell was certainly Noble hops-ish, with floral notes, grass, hay, and dry bitterness. The flavor certainly echoed the nose, with herbal hints throughout, and a nice crisp dry finish. Nicely carbonated, light mouthfeel. A great session pilsner. Well done.

donniecuffs, Dec 08, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz bottle courtesty of Ryan011235, poured into a pilsner glass.

See-thru bright golden body with a modest white head that leaves minimal lacing.

Aromas are mild but pleasant- floral, herbal, ligthly sweet and clean.

The flavors prove to be more interesting, with a grainy, wet hay malt and a grassy/lemony bite of hops. A hint of sourness. Lightly sweet, with a hint of something prickly along the lines of a sprinkling of white pepper toward the finish. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall impression: Goes down nice and easy. An enjoyable brew.

PDXHops, Dec 08, 2009