Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,049 | Hads: 2,857

This is an outstanding craft brewed bock.
A- Pour into a pint glass- deep brown with russet undertones, dense creamy head.
S- dark, malty, sweet. A little yeasty, a little flowery.
T- Mature, spicy, outdoorsy, deep caramel but not cloying. Dark caramel with a balancing hop flower and alcohol richness.
M- Nice carbonation lightens the complexity and keeps it balanced.
D- Obviously not a session beer, but a nice finisher.
A treat to find this in Massachusetts now. (469 characters)

This is an exceptional beer, one of the best (in my opinion) I have ever had. Since I normally favor milk stout - I was surprised how much I really liked this beer - but I really do just love dark beer in general and this one is awesome! I had this at the "Spotty Dog" in Hudson, NY and also took a growler full to a Zombie Walk in Albnay later that day. This beer was great straight form the tap, slightly chilled, in a pint and also fresh from the growler out of a red plastic party cup! This is a deep, dark, malty-roasted, slightly sweet brew with a very distinct flavor - pleasing and thick. I may try from a bottle, but tend to find beer usually tastes best from the keg. (677 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25%

A- Deep and dark for a double bock. Muddy chocolate with a frothy tan head.

S- Deep smells of dark chocolate and hints of carmels and malt. A slight dark cherry hint.

T- Toasty and nutty. Full malt and a hint of burnt marshmellow.

M- creamy, medium bodied. Slightly dry with whisps of filmy whip cream.

D- Complex and deep. Very robust and savory. Strong with a bit of rum sweetness and bite. If served cold you don't notice its 8%. Smooth and goes down very easy. It will sneak up on you. Each beer gets better. (516 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I like this Double Bock, it has a dark reddish brown color and a rich tan head that holds up pretty well with lots of lacing. You only get that nice head if you serve it cool not Ice cold, the flavor and aroma also open up when it's about 45 degrees. It's malty and fruity and very drinkable for a beer with an ABV of 8.2... If you have tried it ice cold and didn't like it I would recommend that you let it warm a bit and try it again. It is my go to beer for now! (465 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +22.7%

I confess that I have no prior exposure to particular style; this is my first double bock. Thus---reading the other, less favorable, reviews---I can't help but wonder if my experience allowed me to be won over too easily.

I loved it. Reading up on the style I think I expected a more bitter flavor, but the only bitterness I noted was the delightful hoppy bitterness. I expected a darker beer, but this was a nice reddish amber with a subtle, non-overpowering aroma. Perhaps, as a double bock, it was supposed to have more?

It was as the brothers describe the style, a "huge beer," almost a meal. I had poured it into a brandy snifter (helped retain what little head it had) and drank it while eating pizza; I wound up wanting only one slice. Yes, a meal. And the alcohol crept up on me, surprised me a little.

Others described this beer as not very complex---which seems appropriate to me---but I do not criticize it for that. It was extremely flavorful. Yes, twas perhaps a bit fruity, but that means ....?

Like most visitors to this site (it would appear), I favor the IPAs, the stouts, the brown ales. Yet this was an absolute delight.

I wonder if after trying more in this style, I'll come back and downgrade my rating. But why? I loved it! I have to believe I'll buy it again!

Nuff said. (1,311 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - dark appearance is very traditional of doublebock beer, very nice head that disappears very slowly

Taste - Troegenator has a very distinct taste, a very full beer. I sense hints of nutmeg, Carmel, A distinct after taste, in a good way. This beer to me on tap was very smooth and had a very different taste from the bottle. On tap the beer is much smoother than from a bottle, from a bottle, the beer taste kind of stale compared to on draft.

Mouthfeel- Very heavy in alcohol and you can feel it in the texture in your mouth after a few of them. Very distinct taste fills your mouth, kind of a fullness and very flavorful dark fruit filling

Overall this beer is probably my favorite, I love the rich taste of it and living in harrisburg currently has allowed me to try all the troegs beers in the tasting room. This is definitely a beer worth trying, it will be unlike many beers you have ever tried. (916 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

A -- A clear reddish brown. Mohogany? My wife said the color reminds her of a Ruby.

S -- Aromas of Bread & fruity sweetness. A bit of caramel maltiness & molasses. A bit of boozieness.

T -- Wow, bread, sweetness, malty on the front. Slight caramel with a smokiness, sort of reminds me of baking bread or toast. Fruity on the end with a bit of alcohol bite.

M -- Medium & syrupy with a dry finish.

D -- Goes down smooth, a lot smoother than you'd expect from an ABV of 8.2%...lookin' forward toafew more of these while watching the JETS beat the PATRIOTS this afternoon! CHEERS! (632 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this beer many times before but only in bottles and this time it was from a growler. What a difference! I loved it before but the tastes just jump out this time. The biggest difference that the freshness made was a strong nutty flavor present in the beer, which I absolutely loved. There was also more head and it was longer lasting. Other than those things it was pretty similar to a bottle but that was enough to impress me thoroughly. (446 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just had this beer on tap and wow another great beer from troegs.A great ruby color with a creamy 3 finger head served in a 12oz tulip glass.Slight bread aromas are present with a touch of sweetness.The sweetness continues in the palate but nothing over powering.Perfectly balanced.Finishes smooth. (298 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first doppelbock that i tasted. It was at rock bottoms brewery in Boston. I like its taste overall. This made me try some other doppelbocks and this one does standout. has good mouth feel. Color dark brown. some hint of nuts and a lot of malt. I tried it for its alcohol content and it did not disappoint me. Very good taste for this strength.

Like i feel for movies. A great movie is one that makes you watch more movies in that genre. Similarly this is the beer that opened up Doppelbocks for me. (504 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just got this beer as an extra in a trade and I love it. Don't have much experience with Double Bocks, but if they are as delicious as this one is I will need to change that (173 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this beer. Many complex flavors. Not sugary, but a bit of "sweetness" to the finish. Medium ABV at 8.2% so a couple of these is all you need. Nice head when poured from a tap. Rich color. Low bitterness at 25IBUs. (236 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

A - Served on tap, poured into a standard pint glass. Nice pinkish-creamish colored head fades into the beautiful crimson beer. Head sticks around for a while, and leaves thick lacing all over the glass.

S - Has a nice bready, malty aroma. Picking up some dark fruit and chocolate as well, but absolutely no scent of the high ABV whatsoever.

T - Each sip of this beer is like biting into a succulent steak; every single morsel of it must be enjoyed. Not a beer you want to drink quickly, or you'll miss the wonderful flavors it has. Chocolate, figs, raisins, caramel, prunes and some other fruits all there, but the alcohol is nowhere to be found. Very deceptive, but incredibly delicious.

M - A thick and chewy beer. Very heavy mouthfeel, but that's a good thing. Sticky texture that clings all over the mouth, but goes down smoothly.

O - Honestly, this beer is in my top 5 as far as my personal favorites go, so reviewing it was a breeze. It's a delicious beer, and THE prime example of how a double bock should taste. It has a fairly high ABV as far as beers go, but you would never be able to guess it by drinking it alone, and that's the beauty of it. I'd more closely compare this to a fine wine than a beer, and it should be enjoyed like the thing of beauty it is. (1,277 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Overall impression is a big, big, grin. Aside from a technical review, I just plain liked this beer and can't wait to have another some day soon.

L: Very reddish amber without much head. Nice lacing stays on the glass.

S: Earthy and malty.

T: Tastes slightly of alcohol, but mainly there are tons of smooth malts. A bit of plum fruitiness ad candied sugars, making this a fairly sweet drink.

M: Well balanced all around, including carbonation, alcohol, and weight.

D: at 8.2, this is a dangerously drinkable lager. (519 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer from the Troegs Brewery. Generally I don't prefer a beer this sweet, but the malty profile is absolutely delicious, and it extremely smooth and drinkable for a brew of such high ABV. as I said, it may be on the sweet side for some, but it's definitely worth a try for fans of any style. Probably one of the most drinkable heavy beers, even for people who generally don't like something this strong. A fantastic beer overall. (441 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

The Troegenator is now in top five for dopplebocks. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very well balanced; not as sweet as some dopplebocks and has a caramel note. This beer compares favorably with Celebrator, Maximator, and Salvator. Does not tast as big as its 8.2 ABV.

This is the first Troegs beer that I've tried but I want more! (340 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%

Thanks to merlin48 for the bottle of this one. Pours a ruby color with a moderate head that falls fast and doesn't leave too much lacing on the glass. The color seems wrong on this one. Aroma is full of malty goodness with some nuttiness. Nice. The flavor was much better than I expected. Very nice. Smooth and almost creamy. Lots of malty caramel goodness and a slight chocolate and roasted character. This one surprised me and I liked it a lot. (446 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Nice deep dark red color with only a small head. The kind of color you like to stare at through the glass!

S: Malty, carmel aroma with a slight hint of a cherry smell.

T: Subtle sweetness to begin with a burst of dark fruit/carmelized sugar to end with but not overly sweet.

MF: Full bodied enough to get your attention but not a "heavy" feel. Very balanced. Good amount of carbonation.

D: Great beer. This has quickly become a "go to" beer for me and I tend to have some on hand. Has become a "crowd pleaser" with my friends. (537 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

Cheers to GnomeKing for this, enjoyed in a Andechs glass

Pours caramel/ruby red with a rocky 4 fingers deep sand colred head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Semi-intense breadyness, pepper

T: Breadyness, caramel & slight warming alcohol. Roasted grain & some chocolate notes follows. Brown sugar & hints of cinamon also surface. Finishes warming, bready & yummy!

MF: Chewy with low carbonation & great balance

Drinks very easy for the abv. Lack some style points on asthetics, but a really nice dopplebock, if I could get this all the time it would be in the rotation to be sure! (596 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18%

A - Beautiful and distinctive deep red body, maybe slightly brown tinted and translucent/transparent. Big foamy head and lively carbonation inside my pilsener glass. Lacing was good and head retention was better than the other doppelbocks I've tried.

S - Bread, yeast, caramel, malt, and even some fruitcake, with a hint of some delicate spice perhaps.

T - Great balance between the sweet malt and the very slight bitter/sour notes. Best I've had for a doppelbock. I swear with the big head it was like a marshmallow at times.

M - Medium body, very smooth and not very sticky on the palate, making it very drinkable. Alcohol content is not noticeable at all.

D - For a high ABV brew, this goes down easy and gives no hint of it's 8.2% alcohol content! A very well balanced doppelbock. Not too malty sweet, but all the definitive flavor and then some! Will have to pick up a 6 pack of this in the future. (907 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Enjoyed my first glass of this at Monks on Spruce Street in Philadelphia:

-L- Ruby red. Dark. Looks almost black outside of the light. Great head that clings to the glass.

-S- fruity but not over bearing. Plum. cherry. Sweet.

-T- Woody. Amazing malt flavor. The plum flavor is only a hint as is a roasting of the malts and a slight taste of chocolate.

-F- Bready. A tremndous dopplebock. Very complex with a bit of drynss at the end.

-D- Amazing. So smooth. Each sip I had left me wanting more. One of my favorites right now. I prefer this one at at a warmer temp so it got even better as the glass went on. (612 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

A- Had a dark red color that looked alot like black cherry cool aid. Nice thick head and decent lacing. This color was so rare to me that it had an aura about it that just was mesmerizing.

S- Wow, sweet dark fruit and a whole bunch of caramel malts. Maybe just a touch of smoke.

T- Taste just like the smell. super sweet caramel and dark fruit like plums and dark cherry. Little bit of the malt and a hint of pepper.

M- Goes down super smooth. Not over carbonated and a creamy texture.

O- Some people might not light the extreme sweetness of this beer but I love it. I could not stop swooning over this beer. Almost reminds me of a Mad Elf (643 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +17.5%

Wow, excellent. I'm from the Harrisburg, PA area, yet as a beer newbie, I haven't gotten to try this before. The only other Troegs beer I have tried in the past is Mad Elf last year. I'm only 23, and have never tried a dopplebock before. Anyway... Opened the beer from a six pack, hit with a nice soft scent from it, not what I was expecting. Poured into a standard glass a dark amber, when held up to the light, it reminded me of a port wine, and minimal lacing. One interesting note is that it left large bubbles in the bottle, something I've never seen before. Smell was of the malted barley up front, followed by a lingering scent of the hops and a bit of alcohol. Taste was just as the smell, sweet malt followed by slight bitter of hops and warmth of the alcohol down the back of the throat. It surprised me how easy it is to drink, everything is layered together, but in a great way. One does have to worry about the 8.2% alcohol level, it can sneak up on you. Excellent beer, wonderful for a nightcap or just a winter warmer. (1,033 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber from the Liquor Shop in Tyngsborro, Mass. Pours a brilliant translucent red-brown with a half inch of light tan head. Caramel, nut, toffee, and a slight background of herbal hops characterize the aroma. Caramel and toffee hit first in the flavor, plenty of nut, slightly herbal hops in the background, and just a hint of alcohol warmth, though it does not taste like an 8.2% beer. Toward the fuller side of body with moderate carbonation. Not viscous like some dopplebocks, makes this one more refreshing and drinkable than expected. All around, one of the best dopplebocks I have ever had. Well-balanced, drinkable, pretty. No complaints here. Glad I can get this in Tyngsborro! (691 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this from the one, the only, CRABBICUS!!! (He should be BA of the decade)

This ones great. I love the candy/cherry smell. Taste really follows suit. I can see my self drinking myself stupid with these on a cold winter night. Malty, candy, cherry, darker fruits. Incredible. I like it...
Cheers! (299 characters)