Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,836 | Reviews: 1,075
1.18/5  rDev -70%

This beer pours a cloudy ice-tea color with a thin head and no lace. It's aroma has a hint of chocolate at first then caramel takes over. The flavor is one dimensional, purely sweet malt with a hint of brandy in the finish. The flavor is sweet to the point of being sickening, like the hops were forgotten. The mouthfeel is thick. Troegs Troegenator Double Bock is a not a good beer, a poor representation of the style. Not recommended!

1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

Utterly disappointing. Tastes like they dumped in extra flavored like caramel instead of having them form naturally.

2.15/5  rDev -45.3%

Boozy Sam Adams Boston Lager: Nothing to see here...(Does have an almost a bourbon-barrel type taste / finish.) Color is amber, nothing special in terms of head or lace. Was hoping for more: Certainly doesn't compare to something in this style from say Spaten.

2.48/5  rDev -36.9%

Serving from a bottle

App was a reddish brown, no head, minimal lacing

Smell was that of La Choy soy sauce, I even went to the pantry to compare aromas and boy, I thought I should be pouring this in a Chinese dish

Taste, well I cant shake the soy sauce thing and thats what I feel I am drinking at this point

Overall I was pretty dissappointed with this brew

2.62/5  rDev -33.3%

Bottle into pint.

The flavor here reminds me of some sort of candy my grandma used to have around... It was some brand of candy with individually wrapped pieces-- like chocolate wrapped around a different center... Some were caramel, others had more chocolate... And then there was the dreaded coffee-flavored filling that my 8 year old mouth hated! This beer reminds of all three of those, and though I've grown to love coffee flavor now, 22 years later, I must say there is something off-putting about the way this beer hits on those flavors.

Caramel, chocolate, and coffee flavors hit with an English toffee note and a chalky, residual syrup thing happening on the back end that reminds me of chhildrens cold medicine (mote in terms of feel than flavor).

The nose is mild, but the malts make themselves known. The flavor isn't BAD, but it certainly doesn't do it for me, and the chalky feel on the finish is offensive-- it's hard to separate that chalkiness from taste and feel, as the flavor profile is what seems to lead to it. The beer just suddenly dries out at the finish and becomes unpleasant.

The body looks fine: good coppery brown color and decent head. Retention and lacing were weak.

Overall, this is not a beer I would want to seek out.

2.62/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bland. Not very flavorful. deep red color

2.67/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: dark amber, thin head

S: thinly sweet, medicinal

T: sweetened prunes, very little burn, watery malt finish

M: slight carbonation up front, lingering syrupy sweetness

O: first beer I've had in almost two weeks, and not a very memorable one to come back to. the relatively high abv (8.2) isn't noticeable, but then again very little about this beer is.

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

I could taste too much alcohol. Nice hints of raisin. You get a sweet raisin taste up front followed by a malty bread flavor then it ends with a slight hop bitter. The alcohol flavor overpowered everything else. I am not a huge bick fan this beer is true to the style if you are a big bock fan give it a try its just not the beer for me.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Troeganator. $4 Bottle at Winking Lizard. Poured into a clean, clear pint glass.

A Dark brown but translucent body under a nice light brown head. True to style.

S Medium to dark malts, not much bitterness at all. Cannot smell too much alcohol but it is in there. Again, true to style.

T Front is a nice dopplebock sweetness but then that gives way to a slightly unpleasant alcohol punch that unfortunately hangs on for the next 2 minutes (well into the aftertaste). It is a pungeant grainy taste with the alcohol.

M Kind of rough and not smooth like Optimator (one of my favorite beers and a Dopplebock). This is a big beer with reasonably high ABV.

D Not very good. The pungeant kick in the middle and high ABV make it so for me.

Notes: That's "2 for 3" for Troegs for me as their Mad Elf was one of my favorite Seasonals last year and their Hop Back Amber was a nice surprise. This one was not to my liking.

2.74/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured a modest light tan head that quickly subsided. No lace. Aroma was beery and malty. Color is a hazy dark amber brown. Taste is malty with a bit of caramel and honey. Body is a basic malty beer thined a bit with this strong alcohol which is completely hidden in the flavor. Pleasant finish that is sweet. Thanks to Paul B. for this sample.

2.75/5  rDev -30%

Aroma: Sweet bananna bread flavor in the nose. No noticible hop aromas. Bannana smell uncharacteristic of style. No diacetyl. As beer warms, banana aroma begins to disappate and more of a sweet bread aroma comes through. Whiffs of chocolate and just a very slight hint of alcohol.

Appearance: Pours with a thin white head that disappates quickly. Poor head retention with no lacing. Color very clear and ruby amber in color. Color slightly more red than expected of the style. For being right in the middle of the alcohol range of the style (8.2%) I won't take the alcohol content as an excuse for the head retention.

Flavor: Rich sweet maltiness with moderate fruitness remencicent of plums and hints of that banana again. Sweet bread crust flavor, especially in the aftertaste. No detectile diacetyl or hop flavor. Sweet but balanced enough not to be cloying. Lingering sweetness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium full body and medium-low carbonation. Smooth without any astringency. Creamy mouthfeel that leaves some coating across roof of mouth after swallowing. Barely detectable alcohol warmth.

Overall: Why a 3.5 overall when all but mouthfeel was in the 2's? Because this is a pretty good beer when only focusing on drinking enjoyment, but not a good example of the style. The beer, rightfully for a double bock, leans toward malty sweetness but balanced enough to avoid being cloying- it's a drinkable beer. Bannana aroma detracted and not typical of the style- not a typical clean lager fermentation. Maltiness was rich but lacked melonodian depth that exemplifies the style. Being part of a mixed 12 pack won't deter me from purchase but I'm sure not buying a straight sixer. Disappointing considering the other brews Troegs puts out.

2.77/5  rDev -29.5%

A: Extra-dark reddish-brown with a fluffy tan head. Decent head retention, but not much lacing.

S: Rich caramel malt, some dark fruit. Lots of alcohol, and some hops in the background. Spices are also in the mix. Pretty sugary smell.

T: Fruity on the tongue, strong alcohol, a little cloying. Smoky malt is in the background. The sweetness of this is overpowering, as is the alcohol.

M: Really dry and clean. Carbonation good, non-astringent. Too bad the taste doesn't match the quality of the mouthfeel.

D: I can barely drink it, but someone who appreciates massive fruit and alcohol might.

2.79/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bottle into Chimay glass.

A - Dark copper look. Looks like iced tea almost as some would prefer a long island ice tea.

S - This smells better then this taste which is rare in most of the beers i have drank. Oh yeah, i should probably describe what this smells like. This may be way off but it smells like fresh almonds even though i'm sure they were nowhere within the brewing process.

T - I find this beer tasting like nothing i can think of. It's kind of a unique taste.

M - This beer had a terrible feel. It has a rough texture and a horrible aftertaste that reminds you more and more why this beer isn't that good.

I'm not a fan of this brewery, and this beer is just another reason why. This is a standard beer that I think isn't worth a shot at.

2.82/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer has an amazing brown town hue. The smell was not to my standards at all, at bit funky in my book. The taste is very unique and differnt upon other beers i have sampled. points for orignality. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth even though lotta alchol. Drinkable nonetheless and yours truly

2.83/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Troegenator Doppelbock Troeg Brewery
12 oz bottle in Pint Glass at 50 degrees F

Appearance: The rich red-amber of marzen malt. The head is a nice caramel/beige. Head pours large but dwindles a touch fast. Color right on but head is too weak. Wonderful clearity. (3.0)

Smell: the notes are vanilla, toasted nut/bread, and that unique malt sweetness of the German caramel malts. None of the flavors are robust nor are they truly unique. Nice attempt at the style but need more richness and could be more aromatic. (2.5)

Taste: tastes like it smells. Would be good for an Octoberfest, but not sweet enough or full flavored enough to be a Doppelbock. No alcohol warmth either. This kind of beer is why the Germans have laws about their beer. Simply I felt jipped when I drank this –imitator. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Pretty good. Big compared to a pils but not quite the density of a weisse beer. Not enough to compensate for the other disappointments. (3.5)

Drinkability: Actually, as an Octoberfest beer, I would sit back a guzzle quite a few. Unfortunate mislabeling. (3.5)

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Maybe I just had a bad bottle, but this made me physically ill to the point that I could not finish the bottle and actually didn't touch another doppelbock for another 6 months; had some good doppelbock since then, but certainly can't bring myself to drink another Troegenator, even if it was just a fluke

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Sorry I just didn't get it with this beer. Poured a meager 1/8" head which immediately disappeared. Had no smell to me. Simple mild and sweet malt flavor. Just not much to it in my sample. Probably the best thing about it was the somewhat unique auburn brown color.

Maybe I had an old or bad sample? Worthy of a name like Troegenator? Not today. And I'm generally a big fan of Troegs.

2.86/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a pint glass.
Pours a cherry burgundy with lots of carbonation. A black cherry glow with a two fingered head.. The head is light and fluffy that leaves a ring of lace around the constant head.
It smells of sweet malts and alcohol. Dried dark fruit and red licorice. Funky cherries and alcohol. A bit sour and sweet.
The taste is very sweet and very alcoholic. Sweet mollases and cough syryp. Red licorice with a boozy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is creamy and thick. A full bodied beer with a warmth of alcohol.
I give the drinkability a low score considering the alcoholic aftertaste that taste like cough syryp. It lingers on far after you have finished this beer.

2.87/5  rDev -27%

Pours a deep clear copper with an orange/light brown thick head that quickly fades.

Nose is pure ripe banana with undertones of light coffee and carmel as it warms.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, although Flavors are assertive but simple. Nicely balanced bitter and malt but simplicity of light coffee, light roasted grain and a short finish (although with a bit of bitter light espresso) make other doublebocks a better choice.

This is not a "bad" beer. It simply is nothing special and not all that food friendly or drinkable. However, bottle has a cool label, I'll give it that!

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Nice Brwon-amber color, good creamy head
But after that this beer is forgettable.
I just wasn't really impressed. The balance is too heavy on the hops which would be fine, but those aren't really in concert with each other. The malt again is ok, but that's about all I can say.
It's an ok beer.

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

This review is short, and to the point. I really didn't have much to say about this one. Being a local beer, I'll likely try it again in the future, and re-review it. Hopefully something else will strike me.

Poured a reddish brown, with just a little head, which receded quickly.

Seemed to have a complex aroma to it, but nothing I could distinguish specifically at the time. This was a definite downer for me.

Smooth, medium body, with an alcohol feel, which was no surprise.

The tastes were similar to the smell, a lot there, but nothing that I could pick up on individually, though there was a slight coffee aftertaste.

Seemed pretty average, but the potency was obvious. I never did decide whether that was good or bad. The flavors all seemed well blended, obviously, based on this vague review, but it was still a decent beer.

My only other thought on this one was the lack of fresh hop aroma that Troegs seems to use in so many of their beers. The lack of it disappointed me. I look forward to it.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottled 21JUN11

A: pours a brown ale with cherry hues. Despite full bore pour, no head formation. Central cap of off-white foam with a rim of the same. No lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Apple skins, sugar, faint praline. Dirty malts. Okay, a bit sweet without the complexity to justify it IMO.

T: Roasty malts and sweet alcohol. Some nice overtures of raisins, wood and caramelized sugars. Alcohol is a little sharp, but not too bad.

M: Thin for the style with moderate carb. Dry finish. Not impressed here.

O: Meh, mediocre doppel to me. I would like the beer to be a hare turbid, produce some head, more complex and layered flavor profile, a better feel and long finish .

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Did not care for at all. More of a whiskey kind of after taste.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottled 12/13/10. Bottle pictures the Jewish Moses with horns...I think. Maybe that's the Troegenator himself. Hazelnut with auburn edges. White head is a shy maiden as it quickly retreats into a thin skim.

Like Grenouille in Patrick Suskind's Perfume, this baby has no scent. Maybe some Munich toasty sweetness? I'm trying to hard for an 8.2% doppelbock.

The soft, plush mouthfeel stands out more than any actual flavor. Taste is mostly blah Munich toasted sweet with a chocolate malt whimper in back. Little hop spice.

This one has been sitting around in my fridge for a good long while,
again waiting for the day that I would choose it. Tonight just felt like
I needed to finally give this one a try. I will admit, initially I was
not a fan of the Dopplebock, and have had a a few misses with this style
already. The last couple I had tried had really kinda brought it back to
me and allowed me to sort of really get this style so to speak. So I
pulled this old man on the bottle out of the fridge and told him it was
his night and decided to go ahead and go for it. Now on to see what kind
of damage this one will cause on a rainy summer night. On a side note, it has now stopped raining so I guess it was enjoyed on a steamy summer night...

Poured into a pint glass with relative ease. No head whatsoever even from the beginning. A thin film of lace was present around the top of the glass, but even that faded rather unremarkably and left behin just some token light clingy lace along the sides of the glass. The tone was very nice. I would have to describe it as a rich cherry oak, or mahogany color. A very rich brown with a touch of red to it. Great color on this. Very clear to. For such a rich tone I would have thought that it would have had to be a bit more hazy then it actually was. It was damn crystal clear. Lots of visible carbonation. Chains of bubbles rippling to the surface from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. Other then the color, this had a simply average appearence to it, nothing truly spectacular.

Moving onto the nose on this one. It left me rather underwhelmed would be a polite way of saying it. Just too light for me. What was there was slightly oakey in nature. A slight note of a hope presence was also detected, but was really nothing extrordinary or stood out much. Maybe a note or two of sugary tones and a definate earthy feel. Some burnt wood or roasted barley percolated through at the end, but overall it just came off as a bit light to me. Hopefully the flavor will leave a better and more lasting impression on me.

First sip left me hanging a bit, really. It just felt too thin, not enough life to it and nowhere near strong enough in the profile. What really shocked me was that this was over 8% ABV. I really could not setect that anywhere, I would swear this was floating down in the 4-5% range, not a touch of alcohol could even be detected. The flavors were also somewhat muted. I think part of this may have been due to the watered down nature of both the flavor and the feel. Just felt real thin and light to me. It did have a some detectable notes were found. Lots of earthy hop top flavors in the finish, but even that left it feeling a bit slick. Flavors of burnt wood, and roasted barly were again detected. I really wish it would have been thicker or more robust then it was I just didnt pick any of that up at all. Just seemed too watered down and bland for me.

Overall this one just really underwhelmed me. It lacked the certain something that makes it stand out above the rest. I actually prefered a local Dopplebock, which has scored much lower then this, to be much more appetizing. Maybe it was me it just did not impress at all. I would say it sessionable only because it was so light and the alcohol really did not show through. Will have to try some of the other in the category, to see how it holds up, or maybe I just got a bad batch. Will try one again if it comes my way to make sure. One thing I will give it however was it was definatly not heavy and well suited for a warm summer night!

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company