Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
2.77/5  rDev -29.5%

A: Extra-dark reddish-brown with a fluffy tan head. Decent head retention, but not much lacing.

S: Rich caramel malt, some dark fruit. Lots of alcohol, and some hops in the background. Spices are also in the mix. Pretty sugary smell.

T: Fruity on the tongue, strong alcohol, a little cloying. Smoky malt is in the background. The sweetness of this is overpowering, as is the alcohol.

M: Really dry and clean. Carbonation good, non-astringent. Too bad the taste doesn't match the quality of the mouthfeel.

D: I can barely drink it, but someone who appreciates massive fruit and alcohol might.

2.79/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bottle into Chimay glass.

A - Dark copper look. Looks like iced tea almost as some would prefer a long island ice tea.

S - This smells better then this taste which is rare in most of the beers i have drank. Oh yeah, i should probably describe what this smells like. This may be way off but it smells like fresh almonds even though i'm sure they were nowhere within the brewing process.

T - I find this beer tasting like nothing i can think of. It's kind of a unique taste.

M - This beer had a terrible feel. It has a rough texture and a horrible aftertaste that reminds you more and more why this beer isn't that good.

I'm not a fan of this brewery, and this beer is just another reason why. This is a standard beer that I think isn't worth a shot at.

2.82/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer has an amazing brown town hue. The smell was not to my standards at all, at bit funky in my book. The taste is very unique and differnt upon other beers i have sampled. points for orignality. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth even though lotta alchol. Drinkable nonetheless and yours truly

2.83/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Troegenator Doppelbock Troeg Brewery
12 oz bottle in Pint Glass at 50 degrees F

Appearance: The rich red-amber of marzen malt. The head is a nice caramel/beige. Head pours large but dwindles a touch fast. Color right on but head is too weak. Wonderful clearity. (3.0)

Smell: the notes are vanilla, toasted nut/bread, and that unique malt sweetness of the German caramel malts. None of the flavors are robust nor are they truly unique. Nice attempt at the style but need more richness and could be more aromatic. (2.5)

Taste: tastes like it smells. Would be good for an Octoberfest, but not sweet enough or full flavored enough to be a Doppelbock. No alcohol warmth either. This kind of beer is why the Germans have laws about their beer. Simply I felt jipped when I drank this –imitator. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Pretty good. Big compared to a pils but not quite the density of a weisse beer. Not enough to compensate for the other disappointments. (3.5)

Drinkability: Actually, as an Octoberfest beer, I would sit back a guzzle quite a few. Unfortunate mislabeling. (3.5)

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Sorry I just didn't get it with this beer. Poured a meager 1/8" head which immediately disappeared. Had no smell to me. Simple mild and sweet malt flavor. Just not much to it in my sample. Probably the best thing about it was the somewhat unique auburn brown color.

Maybe I had an old or bad sample? Worthy of a name like Troegenator? Not today. And I'm generally a big fan of Troegs.

2.86/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a pint glass.
Pours a cherry burgundy with lots of carbonation. A black cherry glow with a two fingered head.. The head is light and fluffy that leaves a ring of lace around the constant head.
It smells of sweet malts and alcohol. Dried dark fruit and red licorice. Funky cherries and alcohol. A bit sour and sweet.
The taste is very sweet and very alcoholic. Sweet mollases and cough syryp. Red licorice with a boozy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is creamy and thick. A full bodied beer with a warmth of alcohol.
I give the drinkability a low score considering the alcoholic aftertaste that taste like cough syryp. It lingers on far after you have finished this beer.

2.87/5  rDev -27%

Pours a deep clear copper with an orange/light brown thick head that quickly fades.

Nose is pure ripe banana with undertones of light coffee and carmel as it warms.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, although Flavors are assertive but simple. Nicely balanced bitter and malt but simplicity of light coffee, light roasted grain and a short finish (although with a bit of bitter light espresso) make other doublebocks a better choice.

This is not a "bad" beer. It simply is nothing special and not all that food friendly or drinkable. However, bottle has a cool label, I'll give it that!

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Nice Brwon-amber color, good creamy head
But after that this beer is forgettable.
I just wasn't really impressed. The balance is too heavy on the hops which would be fine, but those aren't really in concert with each other. The malt again is ok, but that's about all I can say.
It's an ok beer.

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

This review is short, and to the point. I really didn't have much to say about this one. Being a local beer, I'll likely try it again in the future, and re-review it. Hopefully something else will strike me.

Poured a reddish brown, with just a little head, which receded quickly.

Seemed to have a complex aroma to it, but nothing I could distinguish specifically at the time. This was a definite downer for me.

Smooth, medium body, with an alcohol feel, which was no surprise.

The tastes were similar to the smell, a lot there, but nothing that I could pick up on individually, though there was a slight coffee aftertaste.

Seemed pretty average, but the potency was obvious. I never did decide whether that was good or bad. The flavors all seemed well blended, obviously, based on this vague review, but it was still a decent beer.

My only other thought on this one was the lack of fresh hop aroma that Troegs seems to use in so many of their beers. The lack of it disappointed me. I look forward to it.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottled 21JUN11

A: pours a brown ale with cherry hues. Despite full bore pour, no head formation. Central cap of off-white foam with a rim of the same. No lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Apple skins, sugar, faint praline. Dirty malts. Okay, a bit sweet without the complexity to justify it IMO.

T: Roasty malts and sweet alcohol. Some nice overtures of raisins, wood and caramelized sugars. Alcohol is a little sharp, but not too bad.

M: Thin for the style with moderate carb. Dry finish. Not impressed here.

O: Meh, mediocre doppel to me. I would like the beer to be a hare turbid, produce some head, more complex and layered flavor profile, a better feel and long finish .

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Did not care for at all. More of a whiskey kind of after taste.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottled 12/13/10. Bottle pictures the Jewish Moses with horns...I think. Maybe that's the Troegenator himself. Hazelnut with auburn edges. White head is a shy maiden as it quickly retreats into a thin skim.

Like Grenouille in Patrick Suskind's Perfume, this baby has no scent. Maybe some Munich toasty sweetness? I'm trying to hard for an 8.2% doppelbock.

The soft, plush mouthfeel stands out more than any actual flavor. Taste is mostly blah Munich toasted sweet with a chocolate malt whimper in back. Little hop spice.

This one has been sitting around in my fridge for a good long while,
again waiting for the day that I would choose it. Tonight just felt like
I needed to finally give this one a try. I will admit, initially I was
not a fan of the Dopplebock, and have had a a few misses with this style
already. The last couple I had tried had really kinda brought it back to
me and allowed me to sort of really get this style so to speak. So I
pulled this old man on the bottle out of the fridge and told him it was
his night and decided to go ahead and go for it. Now on to see what kind
of damage this one will cause on a rainy summer night. On a side note, it has now stopped raining so I guess it was enjoyed on a steamy summer night...

Poured into a pint glass with relative ease. No head whatsoever even from the beginning. A thin film of lace was present around the top of the glass, but even that faded rather unremarkably and left behin just some token light clingy lace along the sides of the glass. The tone was very nice. I would have to describe it as a rich cherry oak, or mahogany color. A very rich brown with a touch of red to it. Great color on this. Very clear to. For such a rich tone I would have thought that it would have had to be a bit more hazy then it actually was. It was damn crystal clear. Lots of visible carbonation. Chains of bubbles rippling to the surface from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. Other then the color, this had a simply average appearence to it, nothing truly spectacular.

Moving onto the nose on this one. It left me rather underwhelmed would be a polite way of saying it. Just too light for me. What was there was slightly oakey in nature. A slight note of a hope presence was also detected, but was really nothing extrordinary or stood out much. Maybe a note or two of sugary tones and a definate earthy feel. Some burnt wood or roasted barley percolated through at the end, but overall it just came off as a bit light to me. Hopefully the flavor will leave a better and more lasting impression on me.

First sip left me hanging a bit, really. It just felt too thin, not enough life to it and nowhere near strong enough in the profile. What really shocked me was that this was over 8% ABV. I really could not setect that anywhere, I would swear this was floating down in the 4-5% range, not a touch of alcohol could even be detected. The flavors were also somewhat muted. I think part of this may have been due to the watered down nature of both the flavor and the feel. Just felt real thin and light to me. It did have a some detectable notes were found. Lots of earthy hop top flavors in the finish, but even that left it feeling a bit slick. Flavors of burnt wood, and roasted barly were again detected. I really wish it would have been thicker or more robust then it was I just didnt pick any of that up at all. Just seemed too watered down and bland for me.

Overall this one just really underwhelmed me. It lacked the certain something that makes it stand out above the rest. I actually prefered a local Dopplebock, which has scored much lower then this, to be much more appetizing. Maybe it was me it just did not impress at all. I would say it sessionable only because it was so light and the alcohol really did not show through. Will have to try some of the other in the category, to see how it holds up, or maybe I just got a bad batch. Will try one again if it comes my way to make sure. One thing I will give it however was it was definatly not heavy and well suited for a warm summer night!

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company