Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Troegenator Double BockTröegs Troegenator Double Bock

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros

Light reddish colour, good suitable hops, creamy easy drink. Well malted including chocolate malt, carmel. Damn good for the style. Well carbonated. Bit of yeast, toast. Light spiciness and orange mid-sip. Light bitter finish. Unique, I like this brewery.

Sammy, Jun 03, 2005

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

spycow, Mar 11, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate brown color bordering on chestnut with a nice off white head. However, not much lacing at all as it goes down the side of my pilsner glass. The nose brings some lighter amounts of dark fruits as well as caramel and toffee. The flavor is mainly dominated by a bit of caramel and some bread. Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation and a bit of booze. Drinks quite well.

Thorpe429, Oct 24, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

acurtis, Sep 02, 2013

nmann08, Nov 25, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

A: The beer is very clear dark amber in color and poured with a finger high white head that quickly dissipated into a thin film of bubbles covering the surface. A light amount of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: The nose is rather malty and is filled with aromas of dark fruits such as plums and raisins.
T: Like the smell, the taste is also very malty with a mild amount of sweetness and also has flavors of grapes.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied, very rich and viscous on the palate with just a little bit of carbonation. There are some warming sensations from the alcohol.
D: The beer isn't that difficult to sip (the alcohol is well masked) but there's no way that I could have more than one of these in a single sitting given its high alcohol content.

metter98, Sep 05, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Texasfan549, May 02, 2012
3.93/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy burnt sienna color with a thick and sturdy head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Bready, with roasted malt and dried dark fruits on the nose; plenty of caramel with an undertone of cherry

Taste: Sweet and malty, up front, with caramel and fig flavors predominate; the sweetness lingers throughout, though there is some hoppy bitterness in the mix as well

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full-bodied, with moderate, but prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Although it is not a match to its best German counterparts, this is nevertheless a very drinkable brew; in fact you can drink this more readily than a German as it is less of a sipping beer

brentk56, Aug 22, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Gorgeously glowing titian, heavy on the orange-red portion of the color spectrum. The beer looks for all the world like a DIPA and is one of the lightest doppels that you'll see. The DIPA comparison even extends to the head, an orangish ecru affair that is heavily creamy, nicely tacky and deposits chunks and sheets of lace all over the upper portion of the glass.

The nose is a disappointment because none of the usual doppelbock aromas are present. In fact, I'm finding it hard to appreciate much, even when I get my nose within dipping distance of the beer. What I do smell is more like a maibock than a doppel: blond malt with a smattering of earthy, slightly spicy hops. Chocolate malt is in use, but you'd never be able to prove it by me.

The flavor is somewhere between the extremes of appearance and aroma in terms of quality, but I'll be damned if Troegenator isn't a dead ringer for a maibock/helles bock. What was a sneaking suspicion in the nose is a dead cert on the palate. The blond malt backbone is decently sturdy, though the whole 'meal in a bottle' thing doesn't really apply in this case.

Good use of hops (Hallertau for those keeping score) with a fair amount of bitterness that is able to cut what could have been an overdone malty sweetness. The beer is a little fruity as well, but there's no hint of chocolate, coffee, etc. that could be attributed to roasted malt. The finish is a gradual lessening of what came before and adds nothing of interest.

The body/mouthfeel is a high point, though not as lofty as the appearance. It's medium-full with a lithe smoothness that I'm enjoying a great deal. A restrained amount of carbonation only adds to its likeability. No trace of the 8.2% ABV can be found.

Troegenator Double Bock (like Boston Beer Company, Troegs insists on using the Anglicized version of the name) isn't much of a doppelbock, but is a pretty fair maibock. Worth a look.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 02, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

kjkinsey, Jan 04, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (Courtesy of Adrian910ss): Poured a clear dark brown color beer with a small brown foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of sweet malt with some dry figs and plums is very enjoyable. Taste is very sweet with good caramel malt and some dry figs and plums. I thought this was closer to a BW then a doppelbock though; I could not detect any of the banana or cloves characteristics that I usually associate with the style. Body is about average with medium carbonation and alcohol is well hidden.

Phyl21ca, Jan 03, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a deep clear copper with an orange/light brown thick head that quickly fades.

Nose is pure ripe banana with undertones of light coffee and carmel as it warms.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, although Flavors are assertive but simple. Nicely balanced bitter and malt but simplicity of light coffee, light roasted grain and a short finish (although with a bit of bitter light espresso) make other doublebocks a better choice.

This is not a "bad" beer. It simply is nothing special and not all that food friendly or drinkable. However, bottle has a cool label, I'll give it that!

GRG1313, Mar 06, 2010

This one has been sitting around in my fridge for a good long while,
again waiting for the day that I would choose it. Tonight just felt like
I needed to finally give this one a try. I will admit, initially I was
not a fan of the Dopplebock, and have had a a few misses with this style
already. The last couple I had tried had really kinda brought it back to
me and allowed me to sort of really get this style so to speak. So I
pulled this old man on the bottle out of the fridge and told him it was
his night and decided to go ahead and go for it. Now on to see what kind
of damage this one will cause on a rainy summer night. On a side note, it has now stopped raining so I guess it was enjoyed on a steamy summer night...

Poured into a pint glass with relative ease. No head whatsoever even from the beginning. A thin film of lace was present around the top of the glass, but even that faded rather unremarkably and left behin just some token light clingy lace along the sides of the glass. The tone was very nice. I would have to describe it as a rich cherry oak, or mahogany color. A very rich brown with a touch of red to it. Great color on this. Very clear to. For such a rich tone I would have thought that it would have had to be a bit more hazy then it actually was. It was damn crystal clear. Lots of visible carbonation. Chains of bubbles rippling to the surface from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. Other then the color, this had a simply average appearence to it, nothing truly spectacular.

Moving onto the nose on this one. It left me rather underwhelmed would be a polite way of saying it. Just too light for me. What was there was slightly oakey in nature. A slight note of a hope presence was also detected, but was really nothing extrordinary or stood out much. Maybe a note or two of sugary tones and a definate earthy feel. Some burnt wood or roasted barley percolated through at the end, but overall it just came off as a bit light to me. Hopefully the flavor will leave a better and more lasting impression on me.

First sip left me hanging a bit, really. It just felt too thin, not enough life to it and nowhere near strong enough in the profile. What really shocked me was that this was over 8% ABV. I really could not setect that anywhere, I would swear this was floating down in the 4-5% range, not a touch of alcohol could even be detected. The flavors were also somewhat muted. I think part of this may have been due to the watered down nature of both the flavor and the feel. Just felt real thin and light to me. It did have a some detectable notes were found. Lots of earthy hop top flavors in the finish, but even that left it feeling a bit slick. Flavors of burnt wood, and roasted barly were again detected. I really wish it would have been thicker or more robust then it was I just didnt pick any of that up at all. Just seemed too watered down and bland for me.

Overall this one just really underwhelmed me. It lacked the certain something that makes it stand out above the rest. I actually prefered a local Dopplebock, which has scored much lower then this, to be much more appetizing. Maybe it was me it just did not impress at all. I would say it sessionable only because it was so light and the alcohol really did not show through. Will have to try some of the other in the category, to see how it holds up, or maybe I just got a bad batch. Will try one again if it comes my way to make sure. One thing I will give it however was it was definatly not heavy and well suited for a warm summer night!

mikesgroove, Jul 10, 2007

ygtbsm94, Jan 29, 2012

jaydoc, Jan 28, 2014
3.85/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for sending me this one.

A: This pours a dark caramel color with lots of hints of brown and some red. A nice fluffy white head sits on top.

S: A lot of sweet smells coming from this beer. I picked up a bunch of sugar and malty sweetness. Perhaps some dark fruit aromas. Not really much contrast here.

T: The taste is a bit more impressive than the nose. A big punch of caramel, accompanied by brown sugar and dark fruits. A bit of breadiness helps to even out the sweetness.

M: A low carbonation gives a smooth, slick mouthfeel.

D: I'm not the biggest fan of bocks, but this one was fairly good. I had no problem taking this one down, so I'd have to say it has high drinkability.

womencantsail, Oct 01, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

This was probably one of the first Doppelbock's I'd ever had. I didn;t know too much about them or what they were. What I quickly founf out though was how great this one tasted. I found this beer to be very nice from start to finish. The pour was a deep mohagany brown color with a nice looking tan head. The retention was pretty good through out. The smell is sweet with dark malts and some fruits in there along with a touch of hops. The flavors of the beer are pretty intense. The first thing you get is the sweetness of the malts and perhaps some brown sugar. The second thing I get are the roasted malts with some hops tingling my tongue. The aftetaste is try with some subtle sweet flavors still lurking in there. The mouthfeel is very drinkable I think. It makes this brew a little dangerous because of it's high ABV. However, it's a really nice brew one of the best from Tröegs without a doubt.

Knapp85, May 16, 2011

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a deep copper/amber color with a light but sticky head,the a aroma is bready and malty not much sweetness in the nose.The tasteTaste is very bready and not really sweet for the style some lingering caramel notes but not much,the ending is rather dry and hoppy for a doppell.Not bad but not sweet enough for me.

oberon, Aug 09, 2003

JAHMUR, May 21, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Dark but clear reddish-amber. A dense one finger head forms, but reduces to a ring somewhat fast.

Smell: Malt-forward and fruity (dates and figs), almost has a melted brown sugar over oatmeal sort of smell to it.

Taste & mouthfeel: Sweet and fruity with a lot of date and raisin flavor. I'd like a bit more roastiness to balance the sweetness of the malt, but this is nice all the same. The texture is medium-full, definitely thick for the style. The finish is sweet but brief, and ultimately clean. Very little bitterness throughout.

Notes: Got this from Dyan - thanks dogg.

largadeer, Aug 12, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thanks to Tedwarhc for this bottle!

I miss having ready access to this stuff whenever the mood struck me to grab some. Oh well, that's what trading's for, right? It pours a clear dark garnet-russet topped by a relatively short-lived finger of dirty sandstone foam. The nose comprises caramel, figs, red grapes, toffee, butter, light cinnamon, and light rye bread. The taste seems to want to follow this directive, but a sharp nip of orange peel and astringent (though kinda light) coffee detract somewhat from the otherwise pleasant flavors. It's not enough to completely torpedo the proceedings, but enough to be negatively noticeable. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a smooth, lightly grainy feel. Overall, though a teensy bit thin and that touch bitterly unpleasant on the tongue, this is still a very solid d-bock. Generally good times.

TMoney2591, Apr 14, 2011