Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Troegenator Double BockTröegs Troegenator Double Bock

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
americanwolfdrea

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a glass it had a dark brown appearance and a seemingly thick quality about it. It had a heavy mouth feel and a filling taste. It had a strong aftertaste as well. I can see pairing it with a heavy meal suck as a steak or such..

08-23-2007 02:04:40 | More by americanwolfdrea
ommegangpbr

3.93/5  rDev 0%

A very pretty beer. Pours a rich mahogany color with an off white head that leaves some decent lacing on the glass.
Scents are strangely weak here. What one can smell isn't bad by any stretch but it doesn't tell you much about the beer. Some malt, some hops and a good hit of booze, maybe some raisin after lots of warming.
Flavors are far more forward. A rich smokey, malty realm to be experienced in here. Rum raisin ice cream comes to mind. Plenty of sweetness is in there as well as a drying bitterness that keeps the sweet from being too sticky.
Hella drinkable for the style. As some have said before I could see people drinking a few of these and then falling off of their chairs for not knowing how strong this stuff is, alcohol wise. This beer is a good way of satisfying a malt craving.

08-23-2007 00:11:45 | More by ommegangpbr
ElectricHarry

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Pours a really nice deep, rich, red-amber. One finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. I came back and boosted my score on this after getting another 6 pack a few weeks later. I really love the color of this beer, it's just a joy to look at.

S - Sweet malts, and a little alcohol. Not really breathtaking, but worth a whiff.

T - Delicious! Malt flavors everywhere, caramel is the most prevalent. Where did that 8.2 ABV go?! Barely a hint of alcohol.

M - Thick, but not as thick as most double bocks. This may seem negative but it didn't bother me in the slightest. A little more body might do it some good though

D - For a double bock, excellent. Less body + total masking of alcohol flavor = most drinkable beer with this much ABV I've ever had. I could see someone who didn't look at the label drink a bunch of these without realizing the high ABV and start to get toasty real quick.

I really enjoyed this tasty brew from Troegs, who is quickly rising to the top of my favorite brewer list.

08-20-2007 07:21:44 | More by ElectricHarry
jamie2dope

Yet another Troegs beer. Poured from a bottle with a cool looking label into a sniffer. Color was brownish amber, with no real head, just a white ring around the glass. Smell was very milky, with a bit of powdered chocolate in there as well. It also just had that sort of robust doppelbock smell that is difficult to explain. Taste had milk chocolate, caramel and toasted grains. It starts off sort of carbonated, then becomes very silky smooth. This might be a little light for this style, but the malt still makes this seem pretty big. This is my kind of doppelbock in that it is not too light and not too big, with lots of tasty flavors going on. I would get this again for sure if it were available in my area. Cheers

08-13-2007 23:36:17 | More by jamie2dope
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

Appearance- Pours a nice dark color with hints of red.

Smell- Nice robust malts with hints of caramel.

Taste- Chocolate malts with hints of caramel and coffee.

Mouthfeel- Full body.

Drinkability- It isn't a bad beer. I wouldn't drink this on a regular basis.

08-08-2007 22:22:18 | More by Beerbuddha
Jmamay22

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a dark amber with a thin layer of head that leaves good lacing. This beer has a complex nose revealing floral hops as well as sweet bready malts and caramel. The 8.2% is well hidden, but the flavor lacks some of the depth found in its scent. Malty bready flavor that doesn't develop, but is nonetheless enjoyable. Lacks the sweeter flavor found in many other doppelbocks and focuses on a bread like taste. The mouthfeel is creamy, yet medium to light. It's a lighter take on doppelbocks, but still packs a wallop of alcohol that is well hidden. A very drinkable beer and an interesting take on a classic German style. Another solid offering from Troeg. Pairs well with a hearty German meal, but be careful you'll feel stuffed!

08-04-2007 00:43:35 | More by Jmamay22
chadspivey

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

pours a dark oak color with a one finger beige head.

Thanks to upsjeff for the opportunity....

S: robust dark malt. sweet maltiness.

T: chocolate malts, caramel, small hints of coffee. not a bad dopplebock. There's better ones out there. The finish is mediocre.

M: full bodied, as it should be.

D: I really would prefer a different dopplebock over this one. I guess i'm just spoiled on celebrator. I guess I COULD drink a lot of these, but the question is why.

07-30-2007 06:01:45 | More by chadspivey
geexploitation

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Pours a deep, honeyed mahogany color with minimal head that fades to a ring. Smells are of dark, doughy bread crusts and sweeter, molasses-y smells. Some cloves and raw alcohol are in there as well. On the palate, this beer is rich and smooth with substantial bitterness, followed by some orange rind and slight alcohol burn. It reminds me quite a bit of Spaten Optimator, but with more of a bitter chocolate note. Mouthfeel is high gravity, with some raw alcohol and surprisingly robust carbonation, given the size of the head. Overall, this is a very decent doppelbock, with good drinkability and solid flavors. It doesn't compare to the best of the genre, but it's good enough for regular purchases.

07-18-2007 21:19:48 | More by geexploitation
mikesgroove

South Carolina

This one has been sitting around in my fridge for a good long while,
again waiting for the day that I would choose it. Tonight just felt like
I needed to finally give this one a try. I will admit, initially I was
not a fan of the Dopplebock, and have had a a few misses with this style
already. The last couple I had tried had really kinda brought it back to
me and allowed me to sort of really get this style so to speak. So I
pulled this old man on the bottle out of the fridge and told him it was
his night and decided to go ahead and go for it. Now on to see what kind
of damage this one will cause on a rainy summer night. On a side note, it has now stopped raining so I guess it was enjoyed on a steamy summer night...

Poured into a pint glass with relative ease. No head whatsoever even from the beginning. A thin film of lace was present around the top of the glass, but even that faded rather unremarkably and left behin just some token light clingy lace along the sides of the glass. The tone was very nice. I would have to describe it as a rich cherry oak, or mahogany color. A very rich brown with a touch of red to it. Great color on this. Very clear to. For such a rich tone I would have thought that it would have had to be a bit more hazy then it actually was. It was damn crystal clear. Lots of visible carbonation. Chains of bubbles rippling to the surface from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. Other then the color, this had a simply average appearence to it, nothing truly spectacular.

Moving onto the nose on this one. It left me rather underwhelmed would be a polite way of saying it. Just too light for me. What was there was slightly oakey in nature. A slight note of a hope presence was also detected, but was really nothing extrordinary or stood out much. Maybe a note or two of sugary tones and a definate earthy feel. Some burnt wood or roasted barley percolated through at the end, but overall it just came off as a bit light to me. Hopefully the flavor will leave a better and more lasting impression on me.

First sip left me hanging a bit, really. It just felt too thin, not enough life to it and nowhere near strong enough in the profile. What really shocked me was that this was over 8% ABV. I really could not setect that anywhere, I would swear this was floating down in the 4-5% range, not a touch of alcohol could even be detected. The flavors were also somewhat muted. I think part of this may have been due to the watered down nature of both the flavor and the feel. Just felt real thin and light to me. It did have a some detectable notes were found. Lots of earthy hop top flavors in the finish, but even that left it feeling a bit slick. Flavors of burnt wood, and roasted barly were again detected. I really wish it would have been thicker or more robust then it was I just didnt pick any of that up at all. Just seemed too watered down and bland for me.

Overall this one just really underwhelmed me. It lacked the certain something that makes it stand out above the rest. I actually prefered a local Dopplebock, which has scored much lower then this, to be much more appetizing. Maybe it was me it just did not impress at all. I would say it sessionable only because it was so light and the alcohol really did not show through. Will have to try some of the other in the category, to see how it holds up, or maybe I just got a bad batch. Will try one again if it comes my way to make sure. One thing I will give it however was it was definatly not heavy and well suited for a warm summer night!

07-10-2007 16:58:10 | More by mikesgroove
kajerm

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Pint at Standard Tap. Pours reddish-amber, headless, and surprisingly clear. Carbonation is invisible to all senses.

The smell is mixed malts and alcoholic spiciness, with a little bit of phenol character. Taste is the same. There's just very little to say about this one-- it's a bog-standard doppelbock; great if you like 'em, bad if you don't.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I expected, but on a hot summer day, this is actually a positive, as it helps drinkability.

Hey, at least it was cheap.

06-24-2007 22:10:43 | More by kajerm
perfectkaos

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Ah, Troegenator, the most readily available Dopplebock where I live, so naturally I'm a little biased. Pours a dark red color with almost no head whatsoever.

The aroma isnt all too great, just some hints of alcohol and not much else.

Trogenator is one of the lightest tasting dopplebocks I've had to date. Caramel tones with slight alcohol warmth are present, but nothing is overpowering.

The beer is very drinkable, probably too drinkable considering its 8.2% alcohol kick. If there was a such thing as a session dopplebock, this is it.

06-18-2007 02:19:09 | More by perfectkaos
TurdFurgison

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

I brought back 2 bottles from Pittsburgh this week, looked forward to trying it for some time. Now that I have I'm a little disappointed. It tasted more like a maibock than a doppelbock, less rich in every way than I expected. Not a bad beer as such, just not what I'd hoped.

Nice appearance, copper colored and clear with thick chunky foam. The smell was sweet malts buch not the definitive smell I get from every Optimator, Salvator, etc. Taste was understated too, not bad but not great. I'll drink both beers no problem, but they're not the special treat I'd hoped they'd be.

06-17-2007 20:49:56 | More by TurdFurgison
shertz

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a bottle dated fresh before 9/16/07 into a Pint Glass.

A- Two finger head quickly goes down to a thin layer on top. Nice Amber color with lots of bubbles rising to top. Looks nice.

S-Malty and sweet. Floral smells are ample but the smell is quite sweet.

T- Taste like sweet pineapple with molasses. Alcohol does come out after a few sips, almost like Nyquil in the aftertaste.

M- Some carbonation, but oily mouthfeel. Pretty thin.

D- I think drinking more than 2 of these may leave you feeling toasty for the night. It's pretty good for the style. Would be a good sessions beer if not for high ABV.

Cheers,
Scott

06-02-2007 20:20:25 | More by shertz
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

A 12 oz. bottle, laser dated "bottled on 01/04/2007" on the neck; consumed on 05/15/2007. A more stylized label than the one currently shown in the photo (red-brown background with a larger version of the horned character). Thanks to Metalmonk for sending this.

A: Auburn and surprisingly clear, tinted with ruby red highlights. Head is just a light tan cream rimming the glass and a thin swirl of film across the top. The few slowly rising bubbles give this beer a 'thick', syrupy look.

S: Pleasantly sweet malt, filled with raisins, caramel, maple sugar and a little booze. This one reminded me of a light-version of 'Samichlaus', which is certainly a compliment.

T: Sweet malt, peaty, caramel, cocoa powder. Spicy and less bitter than another fine doppelbock I tried on the previous night (Thomas Hooker Liberator). Finish is full of sweet cocoa powder and reminds me a little of Ovaltine. Tasty.

M: Creamy and smooth, maybe a touch thin. Light-medium body with a sneaky amount of carbonation and a light alcohol warmth.

D: Warm, flavorful dopplebock. Very easy to drink this; I wished I'd had another. Smooth, spicy flavors and clean-finish, a nice example of the style.
Recommended.

05-20-2007 14:29:16 | More by msubulldog25
alexgash

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Clear, darkish sienna brown with bourbon highlights. Thick, creamy, resilient, dirty khaki head. Nose of chocolate Twizzlers, licorice, caramelized brown sugar, root beer, dark fruits, and snappy noble hops. Sweet caramelized fruits, cola, and cookies up front. Becomes slightly tangy and vegetal with raisins and licorice. Spicy, vegetal hops in the finish along with vanilla and cookie dough. Lasting herbal bitterness. Not bad. A little bit hoppier than more traditional examples. Moderate body seems a little thin for the style. All in all, a nice interpretation of a doppelbock, but would benefit from a fuller mouthfeel.

05-17-2007 01:45:24 | More by alexgash
jdg204

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Finally picked up one of the staple brews from one of PA's staple breweries. This brew is definetly a gateway to a world of better lagers (which shouldn't be forgotten amongst all the big bad ales).

Appearance - Nice dark, clear, cherry wood color. Had a nice slightly brownish white head which quickly disipated.

Smell - Very nice sweet, roasted malty odor with a bit of a nice chocolate/birch undertone.

Taste - Wonderful deep, thick malty flavor, gotta love it. A light chocolate flavor and a nicely roasted undertone with just a touch of cherry, all very well balanced and not overdone.

Mouthfeel - Very deep flavor which leaves the mouth with a nice dry, clean finish. Only real weakness of the beer is a bit of a watery consistency, but it's nothing crippling.

Drinkability - Another winner from one of PA's best, this brewery could definetly give the boys from Victory a great run for their money (not to mention Stoudt's and Weyerbacher). I really loved the cleaness of this deep, flavored lager and after this and a great Pilsner (Troegs Sunshine Pils), I'm definetly looking forward to seeking out more great Lagers. A must try.

05-17-2007 00:36:09 | More by jdg204
guinnessfan

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz bottle poured into Alewerks pint glass.

A: Dark, clear, reddish-brown with limited head that quickly recedes, leaving no lacing.

S: Sweet caramelized malt and dark fruit. Possible alcohol smell.

T: Sweet, dark fruit, slightly boozy. Roasted malt.

M: Somewhat thin but well carbonated. Alcohol, combined with carbonation, leave a numbing prickliness on the tongue.

D: Good flavor, alcohol well hidden. Easier than some doppels.

05-08-2007 00:40:59 | More by guinnessfan
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a two finger foam, deep amber color, little lacing. Nose is all sweet malt and fruit, plums and prunes. Tasty, although not too compleext. Taste is similar to the nose, pure plums, brown sugar, just a hint of citrus fruit as well. Hides the fairly high ABV pretty well. Body is medium to a little thin for the style. Overall, a tasty beer; not necessarily the best of Troegs nor the best of the style, but good nonetheless.

04-30-2007 21:25:20 | More by soupyman10
vtfan77

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Nice reddish orange with just a very small light tan head. The head doesn't stick around too long.

S- Lots of malt, as expected. Hints of chocolate and some toasted aromas are evident as well.

T- More malt on display in the taste. Not as sweet as I was expecting. Toasted bread and a sort of coffee-like flavor are prominent. Alcohol pops up from time to time. Hops contribute a little bit of spiciness and add a nice touch of bitterness to the finish.

M- Medium-full mouthfeel with a good carbonation level.

D- Not bad. Obviously this isn't a session beer but it goes down easy enough. I'd have another.

Overall a good beer. This is a style with which I'm not overly familiar, but this stacks up fairly well with the few other doppelbocks I've tried. This beer was quite tasty and enjoyable. In fact, I think I might feel a doppelbock kick coming on. Recommended.

04-24-2007 20:23:53 | More by vtfan77
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Pours a crystal clear deep amber color with a dent head. Minimal lacing as the head wanes into a tan ring around the surface of the beer where it meets the glass.

Smell is of sweet malt and alcohol with just a touch of spicy hops. Taste is big and bready with malt a bitter hop a slightly alcoholic finish. It finishes quickly, leaving you ready for the next warming taste.

This double bock has a medium body and is very smooth. All in all a pretty mild example of the style. I could drink a couple of these before realizing it is a bit stronger than your average beer.

04-16-2007 00:39:51 | More by ZimZamZoom
ggaughan

The beer poured a clear amber body into my pint glass with a slight tan ring around the glass. The nose of the beer gave me a malty and sweet quality with some citrus notes as well. The taste is also malty, toasted and sweet making for a refreshing bock.

04-14-2007 03:40:40 | More by ggaughan
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a modest light tan head that quickly subsided. No lace. Aroma was beery and malty. Color is a hazy dark amber brown. Taste is malty with a bit of caramel and honey. Body is a basic malty beer thined a bit with this strong alcohol which is completely hidden in the flavor. Pleasant finish that is sweet. Thanks to Paul B. for this sample.

03-24-2007 22:34:26 | More by drpimento
Wasatch

Utah

Thanks goes out to JohnnyM2002

Pours a nice clean/clear dark golden brown/amber color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is of sweet malts, and caramel. The taste follows the nose. The alcohol is hidden very well. Medium body. Drinkable, a slight twist on a doppelbock, just about like many other's I've had from this brewery.

03-24-2007 00:17:08 | More by Wasatch
kernalklink

Arizona

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Very nice dark slick brew. Thick dark fruit and malt aromas, sweet and resinous. Chewey- big malt sugar presence with a slight spiciness- very nice. Great balance with a slight cooling hop aftertaste to counteract the warming effect of the high alcohol content. Especially liked the thickness of this brew- a very tasty meal in a bottle.

03-05-2007 22:46:45 | More by kernalklink
montageman

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

This is my first Troegs offering. Poured into a pint glass. Clear reddish brown in color with no head and very little lacing is left after moments. Nothing much going on in terms of smell - some malt maybe a little brown sugar, nothing too impressive though. Taste is better - roasted malts and caramel with a little hoppiness to balance it out. Mouthfeel is decent - I like my dopplebocks a little more syrupy, though. Regardless, this isn't bad by any means & I would definitely go for another of these. Recommended.

Received in a trade with markgugs.

03-05-2007 02:03:06 | More by montageman