Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,064 | Hads: 2,935
3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Fast pour and still no head. Deep clear amber color. Light foamy ring around the glass.

S: Malt aroma is fairly strong with notes of cherry and sweet corn.

T: Bready, caramel malt taste that has a light sweetness to it. Not overly complex, there is a very clean taste to this beer. I didn't realize the alcohol was all that strong really.

MF: Light to medium thickness, decent smoothness and carbonation.

D: The flavor of this beer wasn't too bad, but everything else about it kind of let me down. However, I am not a fan of dopplebocks, so don't take my word for it.

4.76/5  rDev +22.4%

I confess that I have no prior exposure to particular style; this is my first double bock. Thus---reading the other, less favorable, reviews---I can't help but wonder if my experience allowed me to be won over too easily.

I loved it. Reading up on the style I think I expected a more bitter flavor, but the only bitterness I noted was the delightful hoppy bitterness. I expected a darker beer, but this was a nice reddish amber with a subtle, non-overpowering aroma. Perhaps, as a double bock, it was supposed to have more?

It was as the brothers describe the style, a "huge beer," almost a meal. I had poured it into a brandy snifter (helped retain what little head it had) and drank it while eating pizza; I wound up wanting only one slice. Yes, a meal. And the alcohol crept up on me, surprised me a little.

Others described this beer as not very complex---which seems appropriate to me---but I do not criticize it for that. It was extremely flavorful. Yes, twas perhaps a bit fruity, but that means ....?

Like most visitors to this site (it would appear), I favor the IPAs, the stouts, the brown ales. Yet this was an absolute delight.

I wonder if after trying more in this style, I'll come back and downgrade my rating. But why? I loved it! I have to believe I'll buy it again!

Nuff said.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a nice, clear red with not much head at all. No lacing.

Aroma is interesting for a doppelbock... apples and sour fruit, the usual sweet maltiness, and some fruity hop bite.

Taste is somewhat bland. Very malty, of course, but a bit grainy. Some darker fruits (but very faint), bread, and a little bit of hop presence. Alcohol is well hidden. Dull, mildly sweet aftertaste. Decent, if somewhat ligher than expected, mouthfeel.

Definitely not one of my favourite doppelbocks, but good to have in a local brewery (at least, it was local when I was working in NJ).

3.5/5  rDev -10%

A - 1" beige head on top of a cola colored double bock. Some red against the light. Large bubbles. No retention, no lace.

S - Sweet and malty, just like a DB should be. Vinous undertone in the aroma.

T - Rich, round malt. Brown sugar. Lots of honey. Alcohol burn. One dimensial to the sweet side.

M - Full mouthfeel. Low to mid carbonation.

D - Decent drinkability. Thanks to Maltygoodness for this beer!

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

This is ok, nothing remarkable. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent beer I enjoy drinking. But I don't think I'll pick it up again. It ranges between good and decent, thus the ratings. Appearance and drinkability are good. Smell, mouthfeel, and taste are good enough but nothing to write home about. It does well enough masking the relatively high ABV.

Definitely get malty and a hint of caramel with this, basically no hops. Finish is clean, but fades fast. Medium-rich body with the alcohol smoothly coming through in the body. Light sweetness but not much.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

I had a friend buy a case of this a little while ago, and he really picked out a good one. Gorgeous red amber coloring. Strong sweet malty beer. The alcohol really doesn't overpower the caramel, slightly fruity flavoring. Nice on a colder night. I will buy this beer again

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%

Gorgeously glowing titian, heavy on the orange-red portion of the color spectrum. The beer looks for all the world like a DIPA and is one of the lightest doppels that you'll see. The DIPA comparison even extends to the head, an orangish ecru affair that is heavily creamy, nicely tacky and deposits chunks and sheets of lace all over the upper portion of the glass.

The nose is a disappointment because none of the usual doppelbock aromas are present. In fact, I'm finding it hard to appreciate much, even when I get my nose within dipping distance of the beer. What I do smell is more like a maibock than a doppel: blond malt with a smattering of earthy, slightly spicy hops. Chocolate malt is in use, but you'd never be able to prove it by me.

The flavor is somewhere between the extremes of appearance and aroma in terms of quality, but I'll be damned if Troegenator isn't a dead ringer for a maibock/helles bock. What was a sneaking suspicion in the nose is a dead cert on the palate. The blond malt backbone is decently sturdy, though the whole 'meal in a bottle' thing doesn't really apply in this case.

Good use of hops (Hallertau for those keeping score) with a fair amount of bitterness that is able to cut what could have been an overdone malty sweetness. The beer is a little fruity as well, but there's no hint of chocolate, coffee, etc. that could be attributed to roasted malt. The finish is a gradual lessening of what came before and adds nothing of interest.

The body/mouthfeel is a high point, though not as lofty as the appearance. It's medium-full with a lithe smoothness that I'm enjoying a great deal. A restrained amount of carbonation only adds to its likeability. No trace of the 8.2% ABV can be found.

Troegenator Double Bock (like Boston Beer Company, Troegs insists on using the Anglicized version of the name) isn't much of a doppelbock, but is a pretty fair maibock. Worth a look.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Dark bronze, almost brown, body, topped by a fistful of off-white soft edged foam. Excellent lacing.

Aroma is candy sweet and bread twirling together, hints at an alcoholic punch to follow, but also invites.

Taste is caramely sweet, not terribly though, and also a bit bready, yeasty. Not as big a taste as you might expect.

Mouthfeel is a bit light for the style, lacks a bit of gravity. That does aid drinkability though.

Not a big huge example of the style, but a pleasing one.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours up a slightly hazy orange amber color, medium light tan foamy head of big bubbles, drops quickly, with thick lace.
Smell is caramel and sugar, with a hint of citrus hop on the sides.
Taste is very similar to the smell, with an earthy/bready aspect as well. Alcohol sneaks up in the aftertaste along with the tangy hop presence. Not bad at all.
Medium mouthfeel, nice and tingly carbonation.
Drinkability is pretty high for a beer with this much alcohol. I would have this one again.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

Somewhat of a strong malt aroma. Light brown to copper in color. Very clear in appearance, with moderate carbonation and a slight head. Very easy going down, no bitterness or aftertaste. A very smooth overall mouthfeel. I consider this a good tasting beer with no harsh aftertaste. Will buy this again.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Brown-amber pour with a tight white head of creamy foam that lingers for quite some time. Nice.

Smell is malty, with cherries, plums, raisins, and toasted grains coming through, and a bit of a doughy backbone.

Flavor is sweet with the same fruity notes, particularly cherry and raisin, and a dry finish. Not as sweet as other doppelbocks I've had, but the somewhat-tempered maltiness coupled with a light Euro hop bite on the back end adds to the considerable drinkability.

Overall: I'd been living in the Philly area for two years when I finally got around to trying this one. It's exquisite, and I should have gotten to it sooner.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

I hadn't seen this particular beer available in my area, so when I found a 6-pack of it, I immediately grabbed it. Perhaps, I shouldn't have been so eager. Overall, this is not a bad beer, but it's not a very good beer either.

Poured a rather translucent medium brown color with a soft white colored head that left behind just a touch of lacing. The color was not nearly as dark as I had expected given the style. It seemed more like an amber ale than a Doppelbock. Aromas of alcohol and grains dominated the scent. I really couldn't get much out of this and it was my first indication this beer wasn't what I had hoped it would be. The taste was understated, to say the least, with a very subdued malt presence. The beer was sweet overall, but it didn't taste as if different types of malt had been used, though I'm sure they did. Even as the beer warmed, I couldn't get much in the way of other flavors; fruits, earthy tones, etc. Every other flavor was so subtle, I could decipher what I was tasting in subsequent sips. The mouthfeel was just as average as the taste with not much intensity or texture. The beer felt rather thin in my mouth as if it had been watered down. Despite these apparent flaws, I love this style of beer and so I could see myself having more than 1 in a sitting, especially with the right cuisine.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Don't see a freshness date on the bottle.

Poured into a Pilsner glass. Very deep amber. Just about red in fact. A thick foamy head that laces heavily.

It smells all Bavarian and malty. And sweet, like chocolate or caramel (malts).

Tastes malty too. Real malty. It's sweet and creamy with undertones of hop bitterness. Lots of body in this beer. And a creamy/chocolatey aftertaste. The more I drink, the more I enjoy it. It's very rich.

This is actually the first doppelbock I've tried and I hope it isn't the last if they're all like this. I'm very pleased with it and that's not the alcohol talking.

Makes me wish it was colder this winter....

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

A- An amber, copper orange pour with a nice 2in white foamy head

S- Smell is somewhat nutty with a little bit of alcohol in there which isn't suprising with the 8.2%abv. Throw some caramel in there along with a little bit of malt

T- A very warm and malty flavor. Alcohol mixed with a little bit of fruit. Very interesting.

M- Medium bodied mouthfeel

D- I can put a couple of these down even with the abv. Very interesting beer

3.42/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a translucent dark red, amber I guess, not much head to it. It has a nice scent of roasted malts, very bready.

Tastes like bread crust with a bit of a bitter bite to finish, pretty good balance. It's not incredibly smooth, I can definately notice carbonation but it's enjoyable. I was not disappointed.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

orange on the pour, more amber in the glass, clean and clear. one full finger of slightly off white head, dissapates reasonably but not quickly to the edges of the glass, ok lacing. nothing great, nothing bad.

the roasted malt notes of a usual db are buried under a hop blanket, it is there but is harder to detect than on most DBs, mild pine is detected and the alcohol as well, if you let this decant a bit it resembles a more traditional DB a little more, but not completely. It almost smells like and APA mixed with a DB... not bad.. just different.

taste etc...
like many troegs offerings this really has a great mouthfeel, creamy, almost nitro esque, like the smell this is really a "tweener" meaning it makes you think you are drinking an APA mixed with a DB... I personally like it although if you are in the mood for roasted malty goodness this may not satisfy. This has just enough hop and just enough roast flavor to pull it off. Neither is really over bearing here. A very drinkable brew.. I can't believe the ABV is 8%...

like the oatmeal stout from troeg's.. this is solid. Very available here and I will certainly be sticking a 6er of this in the fridge. Just tasty all the way around. Very drinkable for the ABV and a nice in between option if you are in the mood.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been drinking this beer for a while now, a very worthy beer. Better than its score, a "good drinking beer" Its taste is quite malty, but not overbearing, perfect for this style of beer. Pours a dark brown, little or no head but has a decent lacing. Very smooth and hasd a pleasant aftertaste. If you can get some, drink it!!

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

Nice fluffy head that sticks around, coats the glass and fades to a rocky texture. The color is a crystal clear reddish brown and the head is tan with golden highlights. The aroma is fairly clean, with a maltiness that is a little soft and almost fruity. The flavor is dominated by sweet maltiness, with some toasted character and a hint of toffee, and almost a licorice like note. The sweetness is stays just under the point where it gets to be too much. The hop character seems to show up only at the end as bitterness for balance. There is a slight alcoholic warming that is appropriate although its a little rough.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

From BA Riggsy as part of Secret Santa 2005, this 12 oz. bottle yielded a beer that was clear and deep orange in color, and possessed a rather large three finger head that prevented emptying the entire contents into a flute glass (also courtesy of Riggsy). The color was a little light for a Dopplebock, but the overall presentation was very good.

The aroma was quite uncharacteristic of a Dopplebock, with floral, citric, hoppy smell that was a little too light on malts. The taste was rather citric, hoppy, and dry, none of which should not be the primary flavors of a Dopplebock. The mouthfeel was thin and crisp, which was another puzzling deviation from the style. Aftertaste was a little bitter and spicy, rather than smooth and creamy.

None of these characteristics made Troegenator a bad beer, but it was much too far off the mark from the style they were aiming for. If you like it for what it is, then good for you, but don’t look at this as a prototypical example of the style.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Twelve ounce bottle with no visible dating system

Pours clear copper with a rich lather of yellow / tan foam with much staying power. The nose is standard doppelbock with a huge Euro-malt aroma with a little chocolate tossed in for good measure.

Entry shows zippy carbonation without being prickly and a pleasant filling mouthfeel. Midtaste shows off the bready malt base without invoking one's gag reflex. The finish is a slow sweet fade which starts at the back of the mouth and slowly moves its way down the throat.

The 8.2% abv is well-hidden in this gem and I'd love to try it with braised lamb. Thanks to my Secret Santa froggyfrog for providing the goods!

3.29/5  rDev -15.4%

A ho-hum amber color, minimal head or head retention. Light color for style. Aroma is toffee like. Taste is strange, a slight corn flavor. Slighty twangy/sour. Alcohol, while present, isn't obtrusive. Not one of my favorites for this style. Mouthfeel is good, slightly thick.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Well, I didn't have any flutes or pilseners available (they were dirty) so I popped a brew and poured it into a Burgundy glass (my favorite glass for viewing/reviewing a beer). Rusty red with a minimal head and a solid ring. Smell is roasted malt with a sugary, almost marmalade odor. Some zest but not overwhelmingly citrus. Hops are nearly non-existent. The tongue senses some astringency in the water mixed with some malty flavors. Mouthfeel is far too thin for this style. This is a tasty beer but lacks for the doppelbock style, yet it is very drinkable. Don't pass it up. Check it for yourself. Not bad at all.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer pours an amber/ruby semi-clear like an herbal tea color. Nice ivory head. The aroma is mild and hidden but suggests malts, syrup, and bread. Undertones of Hops show up more and more as (both in the smell and in the taste) the beer warms and the glass empties. The taste is one of heavy malts, caramel/syrup, and dark fruits. Yet it is not too sweet, there is a nice amount of bitter hops to balance things out. As the beer warms though; the malty upfront stays pleasant but the aftertaste becomes slightly more bitter (not awful though). I’d suggest drinking this while its still mostly cold. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing; light/medium with just a hint of ‘chewability’ (maybe because of the sweet sticky flavor). While this is maybe not the MOST intriguing unique out of this world beer I have ever had; it IS extremely drinkable! Most of the beers I have rated I’ve suggested that they be slowly enjoyed. This however, is better cold, goes down very easily with little distractions and does not sit heavily in your stomach. It is not quite as malty sweet as some other Doublebocks but it is very drinkable and it can also be enjoyed by all your macro-brew drinking friends. This is the beer I’d suggest to a BA who wants a better beer for a party. As an added bonus the 8.2% ABV will sneak up on your unsuspecting friends and make for a VERY interesting party. This is a drink all night beer. PARTY ON!
Hope this is helpful.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Troegenator Double Bock:

Not much to look at…right now the best thing about this beer is the Unibroue Chalice it sits in. Crystal-clear tea colored with zero head. Aroma ain’t much either, except for a splash of alcohol, and grapes perhaps?. Given their Oatmeal Stout and Mad Elf, I’m expecting a lot…maybe I’m expecting too much. Or maybe the Korbinian I had over the Thanksgiving holiday set the bar a bit too high for the next Doppelbock to come down the pike…no matter, let’s give it a fair shake. First taste is biscuity, malty, with a slight acidity that doesn’t distract. Not a bitter hop in sight, but spicy enough to let you know they are there. Alcohol subtly makes it’s appearance, without being overpowering…brings the drinkability up a skosh.

Decent, but not even close to many readably available doppels.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a nice reddish color with an off-white head that does not last long. Slight lacing around the glass. Smells of complex malts and possibly some noble hops. The taste is warming with a presence of alcohol that lasts in your stomach and throat. Very clean taste and yet a syrupy body in the presence. Hops are slightly present. This feels and tastes like a good dopplebock.The aftertaste is very malty and sits well on a cold winter night. Nice beer and I think it fits the category well.

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company