Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,769 | Reviews: 1,059

This is an exceptional beer, one of the best (in my opinion) I have ever had. Since I normally favor milk stout - I was surprised how much I really liked this beer - but I really do just love dark beer in general and this one is awesome! I had this at the "Spotty Dog" in Hudson, NY and also took a growler full to a Zombie Walk in Albnay later that day. This beer was great straight form the tap, slightly chilled, in a pint and also fresh from the growler out of a red plastic party cup! This is a deep, dark, malty-roasted, slightly sweet brew with a very distinct flavor - pleasing and thick. I may try from a bottle, but tend to find beer usually tastes best from the keg.

4.86/5  rDev +23.7%

Fantastic brew, malty with the right balance of bitterness and alcohol prescience

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

A- Deep and dark for a double bock. Muddy chocolate with a frothy tan head.

S- Deep smells of dark chocolate and hints of carmels and malt. A slight dark cherry hint.

T- Toasty and nutty. Full malt and a hint of burnt marshmellow.

M- creamy, medium bodied. Slightly dry with whisps of filmy whip cream.

D- Complex and deep. Very robust and savory. Strong with a bit of rum sweetness and bite. If served cold you don't notice its 8%. Smooth and goes down very easy. It will sneak up on you. Each beer gets better.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I like this Double Bock, it has a dark reddish brown color and a rich tan head that holds up pretty well with lots of lacing. You only get that nice head if you serve it cool not Ice cold, the flavor and aroma also open up when it's about 45 degrees. It's malty and fruity and very drinkable for a beer with an ABV of 8.2... If you have tried it ice cold and didn't like it I would recommend that you let it warm a bit and try it again. It is my go to beer for now!

4.76/5  rDev +21.1%

I confess that I have no prior exposure to particular style; this is my first double bock. Thus---reading the other, less favorable, reviews---I can't help but wonder if my experience allowed me to be won over too easily.

I loved it. Reading up on the style I think I expected a more bitter flavor, but the only bitterness I noted was the delightful hoppy bitterness. I expected a darker beer, but this was a nice reddish amber with a subtle, non-overpowering aroma. Perhaps, as a double bock, it was supposed to have more?

It was as the brothers describe the style, a "huge beer," almost a meal. I had poured it into a brandy snifter (helped retain what little head it had) and drank it while eating pizza; I wound up wanting only one slice. Yes, a meal. And the alcohol crept up on me, surprised me a little.

Others described this beer as not very complex---which seems appropriate to me---but I do not criticize it for that. It was extremely flavorful. Yes, twas perhaps a bit fruity, but that means ....?

Like most visitors to this site (it would appear), I favor the IPAs, the stouts, the brown ales. Yet this was an absolute delight.

I wonder if after trying more in this style, I'll come back and downgrade my rating. But why? I loved it! I have to believe I'll buy it again!

Nuff said.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company