Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Troegenator Double BockTröegs Troegenator Double Bock

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,051 | Hads: 2,881
3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

From BA Riggsy as part of Secret Santa 2005, this 12 oz. bottle yielded a beer that was clear and deep orange in color, and possessed a rather large three finger head that prevented emptying the entire contents into a flute glass (also courtesy of Riggsy). The color was a little light for a Dopplebock, but the overall presentation was very good.

The aroma was quite uncharacteristic of a Dopplebock, with floral, citric, hoppy smell that was a little too light on malts. The taste was rather citric, hoppy, and dry, none of which should not be the primary flavors of a Dopplebock. The mouthfeel was thin and crisp, which was another puzzling deviation from the style. Aftertaste was a little bitter and spicy, rather than smooth and creamy.

None of these characteristics made Troegenator a bad beer, but it was much too far off the mark from the style they were aiming for. If you like it for what it is, then good for you, but don’t look at this as a prototypical example of the style. (995 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz.

A: Pours a brownish-red caramel color with a nice off-white head.

S: Treacle, raisin bread, maple, molasses, a hint of nutmeg. Very sweet aroma.

T: Birch syrup, mild hop bitterness, toasted grain, prunes, dark bread. A bit of alcohol in the finish.

M: Between medium and thick-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: I wasn't too impressed by this one. (360 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle. Poured a clear dark amber, with a smallish head that didn't stick around long. Aroma is nice and malty with a hint of caramel and fruit. taste is more of the malt, with a hop twang that isn't usually present in a double bock. Mildly carbonated, slightly thin mouthfeel that has a nice quick sweetness followed by the hop twang. Even with the higher alcohol this is an easy drinking beer. (401 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Tanger for this bottle, which came out of my BA Secret Santa box.

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Surprisingly clear and see-through. Brown copper colored liquid with a tan cap. Retention isn't the best, and it doesn't leave much lacing. I was sort of expecting it to be slightly hazy or opaque, and this is totally clear.

The nose is light, and doesn't really give off any strong scents. I get sweet malts and a bit of alcohol up front. Very sweet, with hints of German hops right around the finish. Light and subtle, was expecting just a bit more.

The taste is hidden by the carbonation, but more on that in a bit. Sweet and slightly roasted malts dominate. Alcohol creeps in, just like the nose, but not as bad. Also, the small hop character in the nose is all but gone in the taste. Sub par, in my opinion, I expected better from Troegs.

Mouthfeel is overcarbonated, and it doesn't allow me to properly pick out the subtlties of the taste. Otherwise, it's medium bodied, with a slightly dry finish. Drinkability is ok.

Overall, sort of disappointed. Even among a style that I'm not particularly a fan of, this isn't among my favorites. (1,162 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 1 Pint 6 Fl Oz. bottle into a 10 oz pint glass.

A-Pours a reddish/dark brown, mahogany color. A beige, one finger head formed at the top of the glass.
S-hints of chocolate and malty sweetness. I also picked up on the alcohol.
T-The sweetness is there at the front, but it quickly gives way to the hints of chocolate and alcohol. As the brew warmed, the sweetness came through a bit more and the burn disapated. Picked up on a little cinnamon as well?
M-little carbonation so this had a think, almost chunky mouthfeel.
D-Despite the higher ABV, I was able to put down the bottle with ease. Once the brew warms, it gets better, so gave it a chance to settle a bit. It finishes with a burn at first but gives way to the malty sweetness.
Good for a pre dinner drink, perhaps something to hold you over until your next meal.
All in all, a good doublebock, but I think I like Tommyknockers Butt-Head a little better. Give this a shot though! (951 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%

Sat down with this a my favorite local pub with the Ravens & Falcons on the tube. I drank it slowly, yeah, I kind of nursed it, it being my last of the evening.

The color was intriguing, a reddish. slightly hazey brew with a off-white head that lasted well enough, but without much lacing.

The flavor was all-malt and a bit on the sweet side, with a touch of an unknown dark fruit. Not very bock-like, but tasty. I detected a twinge of alcohol, which might have been more prominent had this been my first beer of the evening.
Worth another try. (551 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

The Tröegenator didn't really do it for me flavorwise. Really weak head, less than a finger, but with a nice, deep earthy malt aroma. Poured a nice deep reddish-bronze in the glass. Full-bodied, dry sweetness, with some bready flavor and a savory finish. The finish also had some unpleasant, lingering buttery/diacetyl things going on that severely cut down on the drinkability for me. I've had much more balanced doppelbocks, for sure, and better offerings from Tröegs. (472 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

A clear dark amber brown beer with a fleeting off-white head.

Smells of caramel and little else.

Surprisingly hoppy. Notes of caramel linger on the tongue; the roasted malts hit the mouth nicely.

Really a nice carbonation level, though a little heavy in the mouth.

I'm still not entirely certain that I like Doublebocks, but I think I liked this one. (354 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

Served at cellar temp in a Duvel tulip.

Pours reddish copper with a big tan head that recedes leaving some residual head behind. Smells of caramel malts, and has a breadiness about it from the yeast. Reminds me of another beer I can't quite place yet. Contains a hop bitterness and spiciness which is welcome along the warming alcohol flavor/sensation. Big body here which is helped out with a nice dose of carbonation. Big alcohol helps keep a slow and steady pace. (467 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured a 1 inch light tan head in a pint glass that disappeared quickly. Deep copper color, very clear. Sweet malty molasses with a faint chocolate smell. Taste was all sweet malts, a bit too sweet for me. There is low carbonation and a glycerin type feel in the mouth, like a big red wine. It seemed to leave some alcohol in the mouth. Very drinkable, I didn't notice the high alcohol. (386 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was a little disappointed with this beer, it wasn’t my idea of a true dopplebock. It pours a nice dark copper color with a small white head that fades away quickly. The aroma isn’t as sweet as most dopplebocks that I’ve had. Caramel, hops, and roasted malts are the most apparent scents. The taste is much like the aroma with a slight caramely sweetness detected upon the first taste, with mild chocolate undertones. There is, however, a dominating taste of alcohol noted during the entire drinking experience. The body is very thin and bitter. This is a decent beer from Tröegs but not the best that I’ve had from them. (627 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Fast pour and still no head. Deep clear amber color. Light foamy ring around the glass.

S: Malt aroma is fairly strong with notes of cherry and sweet corn.

T: Bready, caramel malt taste that has a light sweetness to it. Not overly complex, there is a very clean taste to this beer. I didn't realize the alcohol was all that strong really.

MF: Light to medium thickness, decent smoothness and carbonation.

D: The flavor of this beer wasn't too bad, but everything else about it kind of let me down. However, I am not a fan of dopplebocks, so don't take my word for it. (583 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -11.3%

Original Rating Date:
July 29, 2008

Not a lot of aroma coming from this beer. Dark mahogany color with a super thick, large brown head -- delicious. Excellent mouthfeel, super creamy, fabulous texture with almost no carbonation. Taste is a malty, toasted coffee with a prune undernote. Very good doppelbock, super enjoyable, but the rating is hurt by a lack of aroma on the pour. (380 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz bottle poured in a wizen glass.

Pours a deep amber with a small head that fades really quick. Has a bit of lacing. Smell is malty and sweet, slightly boozy as well.

Taste is quite malty and pretty sweet. Again kind of boozy but it's got a good taste to cover most of it up. Overall pretty good but not amazing. (317 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a nice full amber with about 1 and 1/2 finger head.

Smells like a bmc, unfortunately.

Tastes malty. Somewhat smokey, and well balanced. I def taste malty hops and some graininess in there.

Its a great doppel, but nothing to write home about (other than its affordab ility).

I will buy this again for sure. (316 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to korguy123 for this brew.
Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Very dark amber/brown colour with a small amount of light brown head.

S - Sweetness up front from the malts with notes of toffee, caramel and dark fruit. No bitterness at all.

T - Sweet malts dominate the palate. Notes of brown sugar, toffee, raisins, figs. No hops at all. Slightly too sweet for me but a nice overall flavour profile.

M - Medium body, low carbonation. Slight chew.

D - Nice flavour but too sweet for me. (495 characters)

Awake the Troegenator...says the bottle

Appearance-Deep reddish brown mahogany colored body, an ok head that sticks around and leaves lace. Looks appetizing in the pint glass.

Smell-Hoppy, some spicy malt kicked in, rather earthy odors, various hops come out but not that powerfully.

Taste-Dark, quite smooth, a lot of bitter hops hit the palate immediataly along with spice from the malt, some disguised alcohol comes out, given the high octane of the brew.

Mouthfeel-deceptively smooth, an interesting flavor, quite powerful as well.

Drinkability-it obviously isn't a session beer due to the ABV but it's very drinkable and smooth, just know what your doing.

Overall-very good interpretation of the style, the alcohol doesn't overpower it and it's surprisingly drinkable. Retains the high quality of Troegs in its own fashion and while I prefer some of Troeg's other offerings (only because this isn't my most favorite style) I can still recommend drinking it. Beware the Troegenator. (1,005 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: This is a perfect copper color with an typical head of off white about a 1/2" tall. The retention was weak, but the clarity of the body was excellent.

Smell: Wow. A very strong smell that remids me of my first taste of beer. Strong lager scent, light alcohol, German malts and hops round it out. Not really a good one, but certainly memorable.

Taste: Again, this is an odd one. It has a very firm base of malt, munich and dark, that melds well with the alcohol content which I found to be apparent, but not obvious. There is a moderate note of hops that end slighty spicy giving a somewhat more pronounced bite than the German original bocks. I just tend to think this is less sweet than most other dopplebocks I've come across, and I'm not sure I like the departure.

Mouthfeel: Sort of light for a dopplebock, not cloying, low to moderate carbonation gives some life to the rich malts.

Drinkability: Not immensely drinkable. It's not bad to sip or to sample, but I don't think I'll revisit this one. I had 2 tonight because the first may have been too cold, and I feel like the second was a bit forced. I'm glad to have tried this, and I love Troegs in general, but I believe the rest of the six pack will depart in a slow manner. (1,256 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Label lore: Greeted by an old cartoonish bearded man with horns type character. 8.2 % ABV.

Pours clear yet mahogany dark with a pillowy off white head coating.

Clean root beer malts and leafy celery vegetable aromas.

Tangy malty almost whiskey like flavors. Butter pecan ice cream flavors. Slightly reminiscent of Rogur Dead Guy.

Buttery caramel feel.

Last swigs: Props to the TROEGS gang for giving this away at Sippin' by the River, just because I was there. Maybe it's the 8.2% ABV, maybe the overwhelming malts, but not a swiggable drinker. This is a beer to enjoy while the weather turns and you need a good sipper.

Beer is good. Happy beering. (668 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

I poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Troegs "Mad Elf" tulip.

A: Dark red, almost into Cherry Coke territory, with a slight foamy head. Perfectly acceptable for this style.

S: Cherry is the main scent I'm detecting. I spent a few seconds here and the sweetness is very much a kind to beet sugar.

T: Rich, yet a bit on the bland side. The sugar is very in your face, but not totally in a bad way. This would be a good accompaniment to cheesecake.

M: Coats the mouth with tons of sugar. Definitely full-bodied, which are what Double Bocks are supposed to be. The carbonation is pleasant.

D: I honestly couldn't imagine having more than one.

Overall: I am a big fan of Troegs, however, this is one brew in their line-up that I think could use some work. Admittedly, this style isn't my favorite, but this is still sort of a "by the numbers" Doppelbock. (853 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Appearance is a deep, dark red. No head or lacing to speak of at all, maybe its my Brooklyn brewery glass IDK. But this beer overall looks like a flat black cherry soda, but has beautiful color.

S: Nice caramel aroma on top followed by a nutty, almond-type smell with a hint of dark fruit.

T: The taste is sweet, beginning with an enhanced version of the dark fruit aroma. Has a raisin type flavor to it with a little bit of tang at the end. The aftertaste does leave that almond or nut brown feel to it.

M: Mouth feel is ok, kind of disappointed by the lack of Caramel in the flavor. Mild carbonation and very thin for a double bock.

O: I have had this beer once before and thought it was good the first time drinking it out of the bottle. Not so much now that I've had it in the glass. The alcohol is not hidden at all and there is not a lot of malt character here. This is a so-so beer for me! (903 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a translucent dark red, amber I guess, not much head to it. It has a nice scent of roasted malts, very bready.

Tastes like bread crust with a bit of a bitter bite to finish, pretty good balance. It's not incredibly smooth, I can definately notice carbonation but it's enjoyable. I was not disappointed. (312 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%

This one poured a nice dark red amber color. It has a short head that disapates rather quickly. The nose is very malty and there is just a tiny bit of a fruity, somewhat wine-like aroma in there too. I don't detect too much alcohol in the nose for having such a high ABV. The taste is another big dose of malt. The taste seems to mirror the nose with a slight winey taste. It's also a bit yeasty/bready tasting. Nice medium to full body, but definitely lighter than some of the darker doppelbocks out there. On the finish there is a nice mild hop bitterness that drops in.

Overall, good, but not great IMO for this style, but I tend to prefer the darker beers in this style. I would definitely drink it again and it is an enjoyable pour from a good brewery. (761 characters)

Bomber from Rivers Bend.
Pours brown in color with ruby highlights around the edges. Decent inch of frothy head atop the beer. Smell is slight toffee and a bit of a lager smell as well. Mouthfeel is pillowy soft and very nice. Taste is lacking a little complexity and strength. Needs more toffee/caramel and a supporting flavor. They nailed the mouthfeel though. (362 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearence: clear brown, thick off shore head with nice retention.

Smell: refined yeast, a bit of sweetness. Not unpleasant but lacking.

Taste: some deep malt notes and a bit of hops and hints of fruit but the taste was heavily overpowered by alchohal.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, full body, not dry. Very filling.

Overall: for me the flavors were lacking, do that the most discernable tadte was alchohal, which isnt too pleasant, I cant see myself buying this again and I had higher hopes from this brewery. (520 characters)

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company