Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,064 | Hads: 2,935
3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

A- light tan bubbly head (like a mocha latte). Dissipated quickly and minimal lacing. Fairly dark, mahogany, amber, copper.

S- clean, malty, sweet, fruit (raisins), spices. Sherry-like. Very pleasant.

T- reminded me of a scotch ale. Sweet, malty, caramel.

M- light to medium body. Creamy. Well balanced.

O- a very nice beer. A good effort by a great brewery at a Dopplebock. Most impressed by the evenly balanced mouthfeel given the various aromas and tastes happening in this brew. Would have again and definitely recommend.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a decent beige head that quickly fades to a thin remnant. Brew is a brilliant copper-caramel color, dark but very clear.

Tons of toffee and caramel in the aroma, plus dark fruits: figs and grapes.

Flavor follows the nose: sweet raisins and grapes, chewy bready malts, tons of caramel and brown sugar. A bit of rum raisin meets fruitcake.

Long, long sticky finish from a light but creamy body. Extremely easy drinking, with no hint of the high ABV, and little sting.

Very tasty dopplebock.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Undated bottle at 40 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of malt
Head small (2 cm), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to 1 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing none
Body dark red-amber, clear
Flavor begins heavily sweet and lightly roasted malty, ends sweet, perhaps a hint of yeast esters; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, creamy, soft carbonation

This is a very nice doppelbock, not cloyingly sweet and hiding the alcohol and hops well.
The fizzy head and no lacing detract from the appearance.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - one inch creamy, off-white head, very deep red coloring, mahogany, beautiful

S - alcohol, toffee, molasses, caramel, lots of malt, faint apples

T - roasted/toasted grains, malt, lots of caramel, can taste the alcohol but in a good way, sweet but has nice balancing with the ever faint hops in the background

M - creamy, dry, full bodied

O - This is a fantastic beer. From the appearance to the aroma to the taste - delicious, Beautiful coloring, the taste and smell of the malt and the caramel is great. I would recommend this beer to anyone regardless of their taste preferences.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: A dark amber color, very transparent, not hazy. Little head on this one. But I am a failure at pouring beers. If it poured with a little more head, I'd have rated it a bit higher. Otherwise, I like the dark amber color.

Smell: Spices, cinnamon, syrupy, Very sweet aromas

Taste: Almost has a scotch like taste to it, but very sweet. I'm not a big scotch drinker so I could be way off here. It reminds me of some scotch ales I've had. Otherwise it's sweet, and still something about this beer is making me think of syrup.

Feel: Medium bodied, with some slightly creaminess to it.

Overall: Not really "my" type of beer, this. But it's good nonetheless. Definitely something I could drink again, and enjoy.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Cherry amber, cloudy like fresh pressed cider, no sustained head only beige foam.

S: Toasted malts, crème brulee, caramel, sweet, burnt toast, light fruitiness.

T: Sweet, toasted malts, crème brulee.

M: Thick, sweet and syrupy, medium low foamy carbonation.

O: Very well done doublebock! Great on all sides and balanced. Drank June 10, 2014 in Clearfield, PA.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

From the can into a stein.

The pour produces a frothy, light-khaki head that stands about four fingers tall. As the head dissipates, it leaves lots of thick, frothy lace about the glass almost to the lip. The body is brown with amber hues and good clarity against light.

Burnt caramel, bread and sweet malts are heavy on the nose. Hints of fruit, maybe a crisp apple.

Sweet malt and bread continue their little festival on the palate. Caramel still comes through. I get a bit of floral hop bitterness towards the finish, but mostly this is thick, creamy and malty. It's a very smooth, clean mouthfeel though.

I enjoy this beer and find it surprisingly easy to drink.

3.93/5  rDev +1%

A- Very nice deep red brown hue. A ring of lacing around the top that quickly falls back into beer. Whatever head was there did not last long.

S- Very pleasing and sweet but not over the top. Toasted sweet malts and figs.

T- Similar to smell, sweet malts with a big of fig but not over the top. Has a moderately long lingering sweet taste that is just about right.

M- This is the most intriguing part of this beer for me. It is a thicker beer, a little chewy. A little bit of carbonation makes it sit very well on the tongue with a little crispness.

This is the first dopplebock I've tried so I'll rate it more generally as a beer and not as a dopplebock. It is a very good beer, it's got me interested in the style now.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: deep garnet color tending towards brown. Small tan head that fades quickly and leaves nothing behind

Smell: I get almost a mix between molasses and maple syrup. Further along it separates out into dark fruits, figs plums and dates, along with bready malts and a little bit of a spicy kick at the end

Taste: opens with some lager yeast and a good dose of bready malts. Dark fruits are there but weaker than the smell. Some alcohol but not astringent. Ends with spicey notes.

Mouthfeel: pretty thick and chewy. Not quite a perfect cleanness to it. Some alcohol kick

Overall: the smell of this one was very good but the mouthfeel lacked a little. I think I may have drank this one too cold and will surely revisit at the right temp to get a better guess.

3.11/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: Almost opaque deep amber brown with a minimal reddish brown head that dissipated quickly.

S: This reminds me a lot of the Monk's Blood that I had recently. Similar fruity notes, with a lot of Belgian candi and yeast notes. Slight earthiness. I get caramel and cloves.

T: Tastes odd to me. It is just weird. There is a weird funk to it. Strange malt flavors here that are a bit dry and off. Gets a bit better as it warms, but it tastes like earthy food. It is like rotten bananas.

M: Slightly crisp, with thin bubbles throughout.

O: I've heard so much about this beer and haven't had too many doppelbocks, but this doesn't taste like any of the ones that I've had. Sorry Troegs, not a fan.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

Another gift given to me from someone traveling on the east coast.
Bottled on 3-10-14

A - Pours out a crystal clear dark ruby red with a dark tan-ish head that died out quick. Nice amount of carbonation streaming up from the glass.

S - Mouth watering sweet bready maltiness, caramel, fig, cream, slight spice.

T - Sweet malt with fig, breadiness, caramel, slight apple and nut, ends with a spice.

M - Medium body, slightly chewy, carbonation moves the flavors across the palate well.

O - Have not had a ton of Double Bock's in my day but this is one tasty brew. If your in the mood for a sweet malty beer pick this one up if you can its worth a try. Really enjoyed this one , cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This may well be my favorite offering from Tröegs, even *gasp* better in my opinion than Nugget Nectar. I like Bocks. They are one of my favorite styles of lagers for their color and flavor and doppelbocks are very tasty. This one is no exception. I bought this around Christmas time (Yeah, yeah, I should have gotten some Mad Elf but I wasn't too familiar with Tröegs at the time). Altogether this a good beer for many different applications. It is a little bit high gravity to be a perfect session beer, but the flavor is both strong and not intrusive with plenty of the malt characteristic that I like and the hoppiness I expect from Tröegs, though not as much as in Nugget Nectar or something like that. Good for before, during, and after dinner and very good as the first alcoholic thing I drank after finishing my wisdom teeth pain medication.

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Looks good! Deep amber with moderate carbonation and a substantial off-white head.

S: Not much to the aroma. Sweet malts with a hint of biscuit. Lots of alcohol.

T: This is way left on the malt-to-hop scale. The malts contribute a gently sweet and even lightly toasted biscuit character. To me, almost no hops can be found. Throughout the last half of the taste, the booze dominates. Not very light on the palate.

M: Surprisingly creamy. Has a decent medium body with a slightly watery finish..

O: I enjoy bocks and the rest of the lager family, but doppelbocks aren't my favorite. Just a little too harsh for my taste. The Troegenator is actually a decent double bock; don't let me put this down for you. For me, I find that the flavor isn't balanced enough with hops to compensate for the high alcohol content. For the style, this beer is above average, but it can be found pretty much anywhere. If you're a fan of high-gravity lagers, check this one out!

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours light and translucent with a nice head. Smells bready, bocky, and surprisingly alcoholic, even for its style.

Tastes quite intense. Aggressive bread starts thing off, followed by an strong bock-malt push that's equal parts astringent and zippy. Gets sweet again near the middle and ends dry with a long, lingering sourness on the back of your tongue.

Good, but it takes a few sips to get used to. I've had a few other d-bocks lately, but they've been the hyper-smooth big boys (Celebrator and Optimator), and I'm not used to one that's as rough around the edges as this.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: An amber color with a thick head, most likely from my poor pour.

Smell: Nice not strongly bitter or alcoholic.

Taste: Sweet and thick, hardly any bitterness.

Mouth fell: Thick and very enjoyable.

Overall: This is one of my favorite double bocks, well done fellas, very enjoyable and easy to enjoy

4.79/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I like this Double Bock, it has a dark reddish brown color and a rich tan head that holds up pretty well with lots of lacing. You only get that nice head if you serve it cool not Ice cold, the flavor and aroma also open up when it's about 45 degrees. It's malty and fruity and very drinkable for a beer with an ABV of 8.2... If you have tried it ice cold and didn't like it I would recommend that you let it warm a bit and try it again. It is my go to beer for now!

3.06/5  rDev -21.3%

Very dark with a red tint, bordering on purple.

Aroma is yeasty with a hint of sweetness.

Tastes of malt and very ripe dark fruit. Particularly as it warms, the fruitiness becomes predominant.

Rather heavy carbonation, but it works pretty well in balancing out the flavor.

Just an ok beer. Felt like it was missing something that I couldn't figure out.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a 16oz pint can into a glass. 8.2% abv

Appearance- Pours a very deep brown with a slight reddish tint. Quite dark. Not unlike the color of a root beer really. Also has a massive head that is a shade dark.

Smell- A sweet malty aroma, roastiness in the smell. Reminiscent of a roasted caramel chocolate bar.

Taste- Quite malty up front with a caramel chocolate type of sweetness that really lingers. It is not overbearing as it is not the usual sweetness since the roasted malt tones add much complexity. Only hints of fruit, perhaps along the lines of raisins. Still more chocolate than anything else to me. Alcohol undetectable to say the least.

Mouthfeel- Heavy and thick. The creamy qualities are appropriate to this beer and style. Clean slick finish.

Overall- I thought this was quite satisfying. To have a beer with over 8% abv covering that fact up so well and adding nice complexity is a solid craft. No wonder the ratings for this Troegs offering rank at the top of the doppelbock style. Troegs nailed it. Since it is so heavy, it may not be a beer that is bought often but is a must try for sure!

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Props to mps for helping me gets this one.

Appearance - The beer was a murky brown color with various hues highlighting the glass.

Smell - It seems a bits mild for a doppelbock, the sweet malt come to the front. The sweetness does seem to suggest the thickness of a doppelbock.

Taste - At the front was the chewy sweet malt. Later, one detects sour apple, banana, and brown sugar. The taste does linger, but the sweetness fades to more Earthy notes in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - The Doppelbock ws thick enough to coat the tongue and allow the taste to linger. At the same time, it doe snot really measure up to an elite doppelbock

Overall - It is not the best doppelbock I have had, but I would certainly drink it again.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A pretty clearly, a bit dark amber color. Nice head that goes away pretty fast and leaves no lacing behind.

Smell: Sweet. Reddy. Malty. Nothing unexpected. There's also maybe a slight spicy hop character to it, but it's certainly a malty, sweet beer just from the aroma alone.

Taste/feel: Tasting a lot like the smell. Solid, but not with a lot of depth, or blowing me away. 8%? Who would ever guess that? There's no booze in the taste, and there's no warmth at all. The feel is very nice on this -- a great nearly full-bodied mouthfeel and medium-ish carbonation. Again, just a lot of sweet malty "red" flavors in this beer.

This is an ignorant-as-all-hell review because I'm not sure I've had a Doppelbock before. From what I know about them, this is what I'd expected. I didn't think I'd love them, and I don't love this beer. However, the feel on this beer is great, and it's very drinkable at 8%. I'm just not high on the style, simply because I find it -- or at least this beer -- relatively uninteresting. I reiterate AGAIN, it's still enjoyable, and very well crafted, without a doubt. A great choice for people who love sweet, malty brews.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured aggressively into a .5l glass.

A- Beautiful dark reddish brown with a rich off-white head, that slowly dissipates, and (SOMETIMES) laces well.

S- This beer needs time to open up!
It's strong, give it time. Over time more ripe fruit, including banana as another reviewer wrote, along with caramel, malt, cinnamon, nuts, spice cupboard. A bit of hop stink.

T- dark fruits & malt pre-dominate. cinnamon, and cupboard, mahogany, wet wood tones... like the smell, the taste blooms if you give it time. needs to warm & breathe.

M- Medium-heavy body, low carbonation. satisfying weight.

O- Very flavorful and complex beer. It's also a very drinkable doppelbock. Being in center of Pennsy German region, it makes sense that Troegs would trump this style!

The key is let it breathe, give it time. More and more complexity, ester, sweet flowers, with mahogany and pleasant alcohol emerges over time.

Would definitely recommend for winter sessions.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearence: clear brown, thick off shore head with nice retention.

Smell: refined yeast, a bit of sweetness. Not unpleasant but lacking.

Taste: some deep malt notes and a bit of hops and hints of fruit but the taste was heavily overpowered by alchohal.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, full body, not dry. Very filling.

Overall: for me the flavors were lacking, do that the most discernable tadte was alchohal, which isnt too pleasant, I cant see myself buying this again and I had higher hopes from this brewery.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

16 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a minimal head that reduced quickly to nothing. It is a deep crimson color

Smell: Sweet caramel, toffee, and bready malts followed by banana, raisins and some earthy and grassy hops.

Taste: Nice sweet malts, booze, bananas, raisins bready malts, nice alcohol, and mild tingly grassy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, bready, sweet, medium to full bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Mmmmm, I'm starting to enjoy doppelbocks. Especially during this blizzard here in Boston.

3.54/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into Pilsener glass.

A: Pours a deep mahogany, and even with a mildly aggressive pour, there's not much head to speak of. Needless to say, the lack of head results in a lack of any lacing. Perhaps I was a little sloppy with the pour, but, as it stands, this one is very lackluster in the aesthetics department. Only a re-visit in the future will tell if the fault is with me or the brew itself.

S: Some brown sugar and malty sweetness. A slight hint of roasted grains underneath, but not prominent enough to balance out the sweetness. Comes across a bit too clean, but not off-putting.

T: We're slowly improving as we go. An aggressive wave of dark chocolate and caramel sweetness comes through, immediately cut down to size by some toasted grains and a slight twang of hop bitterness. Surprisingly, for a beer above the 8% ABV mark, the alcohol is absolutely shrouded for the most part. A very slight hint of it can be detected behind the roasty aftertaste.

M: Thank goodness this brew feels better than it looks. A medium-full body offering a well-controlled carbonation and a moderately creamy textures. Does a good job of expanding in the mouth and sliding across every tastebud. Finishes smooth.

O: I'm not "wowed" by this and it's definitely not Troegs' star brew, but it's not bad by any means. The flavors aren't overly complex, but they're satisfying and it offers exceptional drinkability. It's dangerous in the sense that it's flavorful and feels sessionable even though it's donning an 8.2% ABV. Not outstanding, but I'd recommend it to fans of the style. Worth picking up a bottle if you can.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance (4.25/5): Deep brown-red, clear, ruby red highlights, a pretty two finger head of tan foam. The head dissipates fairly slowly but there's little of it that remains after drinking commences. Alcohol legs cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell (4.25/5): Strong notes of fig, black cherry and caramel and dark breads. Very clean and features a ton of dark fruits. Really great maltiness with a touch more hop presence than you would find in a traditional German import doppelbock.

Taste (4.25/5): taste follows the nose--highly malty, with notes of fig, black cherry, raisin and dark bread. Caramel and toffee (though none of the stickiness associated with those candies). Clean flavors (this is a lager–don't be fooled by this beer's decadence) and no alcohol present until the finish–the alcohol flavor is faint and sweet and supports the overall flavor of the beer.

Mouthfeel (4/5): Troegenator is clean and nicely chewy (not sticky or resinous in any way), though I do wish it had a longer finish. The carbonation level is pretty low, though this is fine–indeed expected–from a beer of its size and style.

Overall (4.25/5): I have to agree with the majority of people that this is among the best American interpretations of the German doppelbock style. While there aren't that many domestic breweries that have put their spin on it to begin with, Troegenator is, simply put, a damn good beer that's great during the cold months and a great alternative to an imperial stout if you're burned out on that style but still want something big and dark in your glass.

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company