Scratch Beer 12 - 2008 - Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 12 - 2008Scratch Beer 12 - 2008

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Released as both Drafting Room 14th Anniversary Ale and Troegs Scratch 12. This bold IPA is brewed with Pils and Vienna malt and Amarillo, Warrior, and Mount Hood hops. It has fresh citrus and pine aromas followed by bold dry hop flavors, a faint nutty malt backing and a tantalizing hop finish that lingers on the tongue.

(Beer added by: akorsak on 06-07-2008)
Reviews by kkipple:
3.35/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Massive Mega Scratch Beer Tasting @ the Meat Meet, 8.21.2010. Thanks Unclejedi!

Scores reflect how the beer is drinking NOW, and not when released.

Light gold, no head, no bubbles! Some faded East-coast citrus hops here in the nose (and flavor), slight bubblegum, orange zest. Goes down easy. Wet. Powdered sugar. Drinks alright, tho the hops have gone the way of the Dodo. Fun to try, but nothing special.

kkipple, Aug 22, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

A-Virtually no head, with decent pour, Very light lacing on top that did not last at all, Orange/honey color, cloudy and flat looking, small suspended white particles, almost looked like cloudy incarbonated hefe. Does not look very appetizing
S-Sweet malt, lots of citrus, tons of grapefruit-things are looking up.
T-Grapefruit and citrus hop upfront, alot of yeast flavor giving spice characteristic, sweet honey dough malt flavor underneath with grain flavor as warms. If didn't know the style, I might have guessed a highly hopped Belgian trippel/IPA.
M-Prickly carbonation, better carbo than look, med in mouth
D-Not really a fan of this one. Almost like it could not decide what style it wanted to be but didn't pull off either very well.

hopsleeroy, Sep 15, 2008

Good head. Light in regards to color, but thick enough to prevent absolute translucence. The head is full, at least a 1/4" thick, and kinda bubbly. It looks like a good beer.

The smell is actually okay to me--surprisingly good to me considering the color. I'm working on detecting special intricacies in beer aromas, so I'll offer this for the Scratch 12: pine cone, citrus...kinda west coasty for a beer brewed and bottled in Harrisburg, PA.

Still, I don't like the taste. The aftertaste is even worse. Pine cones? Did I get it right? I taste it and then I go back to my smell rating--I feel certain that this beer tastes worse than it smells. Since I initially appreciated the smell, I'm taken aback by how I want to reduce the smell score every time I taste this brew. I really just don't even like it. I think it's cool that the brewery has released some of these scratch concepts--I get it and all, but I can easily understand why these beers didn't make it into full production.

The mouthfeel sucks. The longer I let it rest in my mouth, the more it transitions into a watery, sorta piss-like taste. Just for clarity's sake, I haven't tasted it (thus "piss-like"), but I suspect piss would taste slighty similar if chilled.

The more I taste this beer, the more I want to reduce every rating. This is the second one I had--the first I shared with friends. It was unremarkable the first time but, by God, this time I'm convinced it sucks! I'm halfway thru the beer and trying to determine how to proceed with my rating. I guess I'll just stick with how I see it: it started out looking purty good but when it gets down to it, this beer just gets worse and worse. I'm not really a drain-pour kinda guy, but I'd just as soon never see this particular choice ever again.

You can bet I won't take this one home to mama! In a twisted sorta way, I'm back where we started;)

marvin213, Mar 04, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

Got a case of this beer a week after if came out penciled in this review about 2 weeks ago the beer hasn't changed much since.

Poured into a nonic glass Hazy glowing amber with a 1" bone white head very creamy full of suspended yeast particles leaving little webs of lace down the glass. The look of the beer kept reminding my of Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, nothing wrong with that a farovite IPA of mine.

Very nice inviting aromas clean at first toasty,lots of fruityness,big pineapple aromas with tangerine.Floral with citrus fruit.

Very clean start as the nose would indicate,tasty semi sweet maltiness with some burnt carmell and a slight metallic note,not offensive in any way.Very well balanced with tart tropical fruityness piney followed by a nice citrus finishing with a citrus rine/light grapefruit coating the palate making a mouthwatering finish.

Very smooth and creamy giving the beer a light textured feel. Hard to drink this one slow,just don't want to stop. Tastier with every mouthful. Expected this beer to be more like the Nugget Nectar instead it suprized me with a great everyday driniking IPA more like the pale ale. If this beer was avalible all the time it would be on my draft system all the time.

jcdiflorio, Aug 27, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to med for this beer as an extra!

Pour was much lighter and cloudier than most ipa's i usually drink, but was pleasant with some nice lacing and a good head.

The smell was very nice with some grapefruit esters.

The taste is very good and is very carbonated and has kinda spicy note on the tounge thats hard to pinpoint.

Drinkability is very nice a good session beer for sure

jamesm7485, Aug 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance is a pale glowing golden hue with a large bright white head forming thick with even lacing speckled behind each sip. Aroma is full of mild cat pee dank wee tones with heavy grapefruit notes playing a factor as well. Mild biscuit pils malt combo going on here with a sweet nectar like floral aroma. Flavor is upfront with bitterness but honey like biscuit malt sweetness coats each layer of hop bitterness, this stuff is amazing. Very unique and true to Troeg's great stuff here, grapefruit bitterness is kicking with herbal cali kind bud like weed flavors. Mouthfeel is medium bodied mild oily texture with a very dry pils like finish. I consider this brew a hybrid, carbonation tickles a bit. Drinkability is nice a very solid all around brew with a massive hop profile nothing else to compare it it to this is an original style of brew I'm a fan.

WVbeergeek, Aug 30, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer pours a cloudy straw yellow color, with a pillowy looking white head. The head fades very slowl,y leaving a massive lace.

The aroma if this beer is very mild. It is quite hard to pick much out at all. It has a slight citrusy hop aroma. I can pick out some grapefruit. Not much else.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Very mild. Some citrus flavor.

This beer is carbonated well. It leaves a citrusy aftertaste. Not much more to it.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is not very aggressive, and the alcohol is not high.

Overall: Thanks to DrJay for generously hooking me up with this one. This beer is not what I expected at all. I dont dislike it, but I dont think it was a remarkable beer. Just too boring. More hops would help. It was very subtle even for an IPA.

OStrungT, Nov 10, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

I picked this growler on my visit to the brewery. I couldn't make it to the fest/brewery over the weekend but wanted to grab some before it's all gone.

A - Cloudy golden yellow color. Surprised by how light in color it was, especially compared to the Troegs Pale Ale my wife was drinking. Frothy one-finger head leaves some lacing as the pint is consumed.

S - Some hops at first (mostly a pineapple smell). Earthy tones overpower pretty much everything else. From time to time, I also detect a bit of a sour smell as well (not sure where that is coming from).

T - Very unique brew here. I cannot say it is what I was expecting, but it is very complex to say the least. On first taste I actually thought my growler might have been filled with the wrong beer. This is because the sample I had at the brewery I got a burst of citrus, but it wasn't there. Hops are not present the whole way through they shine through in the end. I agree with akorsak with the fact there is a bit of a Belgian twang to this beer, not strong, but I noticed it because I wasn't expecting it. That twang was something that wasn't present in the sample from the brewery.

I will tell you this once you make sure when you drink/review this beer. Drink some at first then let it warm up. Trust me you will have two completely different tastes.

M - Medium-bodied. Smooth with a bitter finish and a drying sensation in the end.

D - I liked the beer much more after it warms. So I would order my second glass about half way through my first. I could enjoy a few of these in a sitting.

I am very interested in comparing this to the bottled version.

dashirey, Jun 25, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

An above average IPA with grapefruit colour and some white head, and citrus tangerine aroma and taste. Good balance and good bitterness.Pils and Vienna malt and Amarillo, Warrior, and Mount Hood hops. Brewed for The Drafting Room.Almost like a double IPA.
Dr. Jay thanks for this second well-balanced sample, got a creamy mouthfeel and nice citrus, and I rerate up.

Sammy, Jul 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle, obtained from kegatron in the preseason bif...chosen at random from 3 remaining scratch beers

appearance: poured into an imperial pint glass - light tangerine body, very cloudy, suddsy beige cap

smell: tangerine and fresh citrus, pulpy and juicy, lemon zest, grassy and fresh

taste: fresh zesty ipa, juicy tangerine and orange citrus, lemon zest, fresh green hops. Bitterness levels are relatively low as this ipa focuses on a more drinkable fresh citrus profile

mouthfeel: light, pulpy

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Dec 14, 2008

Gonzoillini, Dec 15, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

bottled in 08, not sure when. i thought this was a tripel so i slept on it. appears to have held up alright.

pours very murky, looks like a hefe. thick inch high head with nice retention.

no real scents that i detect. VERY faint malts and even more faint citrus hops.

very bitter flavors. bitter hop from start to finish, light biscuit flavor from malts but i stress on the light. finish has a citrus flavor, close to white grapefruit with maybe a hint of red.

very full with nice carbonation that tingles through the finish and leaves your gums tingling as well.

excellent drinkability. very refreshing and a lot of fun. great for any hop head.

the pour was decent but the smell was non existent. i was worried this would be a bomb but the flavor is excellent. this is my 2nd offering from troegs and by far will not be my last.

hooliganlife, Apr 07, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another one from Hophead101, cheers Greg!

Pours a slightly hazed honey with a finger of pearl colored head. Good head retention & average lacing

S: Lemons & breadyness & grapefruit

T: Hop forward, lemons, pineyness, herbal hops & grapefruit, plus light breadyness up front. Slight grainyness, more grapefruit, & slight astringency as this warms. Finishes dry, grapefruitty & astringent

MF: Medium bodied, light carbonation, okay balance

Drinks alright, not enough malt depth or complexity for me to get excited about, I'm sure most hopheads would disagree. I could do a few pints before moving on

russpowell, Nov 11, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy light orange with 1 1/2 fingers of foamy brite-white head. Fizzles down to just the thinnest layer of retention that leaves some decent lacing behind. The aroma on this is quite the little aromatic bouquet, with a combo of earthy hops and grass all the way with this guy, mixing in with some rather rich citrus notes and underlying malt sweetness.

The taste is pungent biting hops up front that still retains an overall earthy feel in the mouth. Like a traditional English IPA that been jazzed up some some American hops. The bitterness however is well balanced by some prominant zesty citrus character and caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is mediumm bodied with an overall smooth feel but is also posesses some underlying prickly carbonation that helps accenuate the bitterness.

Very nice take on the IPA style from Troegs, taking the overall feel of an English style IPA and amping it us with American hop character. Fresh, tasty, and different. I think I'll go have another!

Kegatron, Jul 18, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Got a growler filled at the brewery Saturday morning before heading to the festival. Pours a hazy orange-yellow with two fingers of frothy white head which lasts a while. Lots of lacing. Intense citrus, flower and pine hop aroma. Sweet at first with lots of grapefruit taking over and leading to a nice dry finish. Somewhat heavy feel to this one but still very tasty and quite drinkable.

TheBCrew, Jun 25, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

A 12 oz bottle from a case purchased at the brewery.

A: The IPA is a pale, straw color, more of a saison in appearance than an IPA. A decent head (over two fingers) required two pours to empty the bottle. Scads of lace result from those two pours.

S: The ale exudes citrus, thick lemon, tart grapefruit and sweet pineapple. Medicinal, herbal hops add a leafy tobacco scent.

T: The ale's taste lacks most of the citrusy pizzazz of the nose. Lemony bite, sugary sweet and slightly tart, remains and mixes with more tobacco and herbal hops. Caramel malts appear just after the hops and add a nice biscuity balance to the ale. The finish is boozy, even though the ale isn't that strong.

M: The hops bite and leave a nice rind flavor (both lemon and orange) long after the sip is gone. An interesting IPA that is better now than when I had it on tap.

D: The ale is a solid IPA, outfitted with a unique hop profile that will, at the very least, make you want to finish the glass.

akorsak, Sep 09, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Slight white head... Hazy hale straw color... Lots of mixed speed carbonation, some slow, some fast, and some just clings to the glass... Solid lacing... Looks life a hefeweizen...

S - Sweet citrus aroma... Red grapefruit... Mandarin orange... Lemon... Floral notes lay underneath... Grain...

T - True to the scent... Very well balanced IPA... The hops and malts play well off f one another with the hops pulling though at the end...

M - Smooth... Medium bodied... Slight carbonation on the tongue... Mildly bitter... Slightly chalky texture post swallow... Goes down very easy and leaves wanting another sip...

D - Solid IPA... I could see this in Troegs regular rotation...

philbe311, Oct 27, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Stephen at The Drafting Room for hooking me up with this beer.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a pale golden yellow that is slightly hazy. A 1.5-finger white head forms on top and takes forever to drop. When it finally does, it settles at a full surface of head with some lacing holding up the sides of the glass.

SMELL: Excellent balance of malt and hops in this one. The malt aroma is pure pale malt and very clean. The hops are subdued for an IPA but are certainly present in mostly a citrusy form.

TASTE: More balance here too. The hops come first with the same citrus flavors, but they quickly yield to the clean pale malt base. Crisp and clean, this is flawless simplicity at its best.

MOUTHFEEL: Light bodied with an average-level carbonation. It's slightly sticky, presumably from the hops, but still great.

DRINKABILITY: Incredible, especially for something 6.5%. I did dock half a point for it being so not-IPA-like, but I'd drink this beer all night.

Props to The Drafting Room for getting Tröegs to make them such an awesome beer for their anniversary. I hope to be enjoying pints of this for a while longer.

jmalex, Sep 04, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +11%

I shall make it through si of these today damnit! I pulled out #12 when I was cooking as I wanted something a little bit lighter. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this beauty of an IPA was consumed on 12/21/2008.

The pour was very nice, a rich golden amber with a soft haze to it. Some light touches of sediment in the bottom which were quite suprising. The soft white head only came up to about an inch before dropping back down with some subtle lacing into a broken crown.

The aroma was light and very pleasing. Rich citric hops, light orange and tangerine were leading the way here, with a nice sweetness to it overall. The flavor was crisp and clean, very nice for an IPA. Medium body lended itself well as it was filling enough to let the flavor coat the tongue throroughly on its way down. Nice biting orange flavor right as you take the first sip. This melds well with a light grain flavor that comes up through the middle before diving back into a grapefruit and pineapple led finish that dries you out and begs you to take another sip.

Overall a nice little IPA. Classic west coast style here and one of my favorites of the day so far.

mikesgroove, Dec 21, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head with a cloudy yellow color.

Smell is of some sort of rubbery agressive hops that remind me of chinook hops. There is a little grapefruit underneath that as well. The smell is a little better than 3.5, but the taste is a little under so I adjusted accordingly.

Strong grapefruit comes through with pale malts. This is followed by a strong hop bitterness (reminds me of amarillo and chinook, but I've never had an east coast ipa with these hops.)

Mouthfeel is fairly crisp with adequate carbonation for the style.

This is a decent light malted ipa. The hop bitterness is fairly aggressive and I think with such a pale malt profile, some citrusy hops would be more beneficial for my personal taste. However, they got what they were trying to accomplish and this is a fairly good offering.

jasonjlewis, Aug 06, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

A bonus from leftmindedrighty.

Bright yellow colored beer with a small white head. Very bright and can see what some of the other post are taking about with the fluorescent yellow observation.

Smell is fruity and floral with a stiff hop aroma. There is a smell here like the hot scent of raw tobacco. Malt is not obliterated here and comes through as mostly pilsener malt with a little honey pollen scent to it.

The taste starts out neutral in sweetness and not particularly hoppy. Quite herbal and something more like the British version of the IPA. It gets more herbal as you drink it and has a menthol and mint flavor.

Mouthfeel is good.

Big on Drinkability. I love the West Coast style IPAs but after a while your taste buds get wrecked and you need to take a break from them usually porter and stout or Belgians. This doesn't get tiring and it would be exceptionally easy to drink a liter mug of at Oktoberfest.

Zorro, Aug 05, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

an interesting beer. I did not look up what it was listed as prior to enjoying.

A - hazy straw yellow color, nice white head
S - citric, lemon, wheat, caramel
T - sort of a hefe with a heavy hit of piney resiny hops, slight notes of citric, pineapple and lemon.
M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, resinous slighty bitter hop finish.
D - probably would've been better with a spicy dinner, but it was a nice overal brew

barleywinebrewer, Aug 30, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Troegs beers are hard to find in New England, so I thank my friend from the brewery for this one.

It's color is a cloudy yellow and lighter than most other IPA's that I've tried. It poured nicely into a glass with a inch thick head. The smell took me by surprise, as I wasn't quite sure what to think about the pine and it took me a few minutes to identify the aroma. That's not a smell I'm used to with an IPA. After a couple of sips, I decided that I really like the smell. The taste does not knock you over with hoppiness and is very well balanced between the pine and citrus. It has a smooth texture and goes down very easy. Definitely one of the better IPA's I've enjoyed.

mtbbaboon, Aug 05, 2008

Served in a snifter:

Pours clouded golden with a white head that becomes a bubbly patch. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of grapefruit, pine, lemongrass - pretty powerful.

The taste is resiny, grapefruity a bit bready - slightly tinny. Sweet grainy malt peeks through before a dry, bitter, hoppy finish.

Medium-bodied, with a bit of a kick.

A nice IPA - hoppy, but balanced - great American IPA aroma. It has a tasty, resiny afteraste that lingers a bit.

jwc215, Jul 17, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to Kegatron for this one.

Poured from the bottle a cloudy tangerine color with a thin but sticky white head.

The aroma is sweet and juicy with a big whiff of clementine oranges, lemon zest, and rock candy.

The taste packs none of the sweetness of the aroma. Bitter hops dominate with a light citrus backdrop. Finishes with biscuit and black pepper.

Medium bodied, crisp and dry, with a moderate carbonation.

Quite drinkable, but sadly, the aroma wrote a check that the taste couldn't cash.

Monkeyknife, Oct 24, 2008