Scratch Beer 14 - 2008 - Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 14 - 2008Scratch Beer 14 - 2008

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.70% ABV

Scratch #14-2008 is our interpretation of a farmhouse ale—a once near-extinct winter-brewed (and summer–imbibed) Belgian ale. celebratory brew starts with a black pepper and ginger nose. The nicely carbonated brew releases a honey-malt flavor that gives way to a tart crisp finish that masks the elevated ABV. We use a blended yeast strain (Saison Dupont & Le Chouffe) to create the traditional peppery, spicy earthy flavors of the saison. Slight hints of ginger also come through in the finish. Drink it ‘til the wedding bells chime!

(Beer added by: akorsak on 09-28-2008)

Saisons are a style that I occasionally flirt with. I like a lot of aspects that saisons offer, but all too often I don't like the finished whole that they create; nor do I appreciate the price tag that many of the finer examples of the style come attached with. So when a friend (thanks Andrew) gave me a bottle of Scratch 14, approached it with some trepidation. But I have to say, I very much enjoy this one. It offers a nice creamy head and a good, lightly cloudy, body. Looks pretty nice to me. The taste offers a strange mixture of saison and hefe-weizen, due in no small part to the large and very loose yeast plug at the bottom of the bottle (much of which ended up in my glass). The beer smells of apricots and pears. The taste follows the smell, at least initially. Then the yeast crash the party bringing out a lot of earthy notes that I suspect are there anyway. The beer has a long, dry bubblegum finish. It is the finish that reminds me the most of a hefe-weizen. It just seems very very German to me.

A very nice beer. I dig it.

shbobdb, Dec 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

12 oz bottle from dyan, thanks brogg.

Appearance: Straw colored, opaque, pretty cloudy stuff and there's a ton of sediment in the bottle. The head falls flat somewhat fast, receding to a disc.

Smell: A nice farmyard aroma of apples and citrus, dry biscuit malts, a bit of musty cellar. Some banana-like phenols appear as it warms. Pleasant.

Taste & mouthfeel: Really crisp and dry up front. Lemon peel bitterness, light esters, white pepper. Delicious. The finish is bone dry and surprisingly hoppy and bitter, enjoyable so, though it borders on excessive for the style. This is a pretty impressive American interpretation of a saison. Hoppy, but with a great farmhouse yeast character. I'd drink a lot of this if it was locally available.

largadeer, Dec 03, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Troegs- Scartch 14 (Saison)

A- Bright, yet slightly hazy, yellow with a small foamy sticky head.
S- Tart lemon and orange with cloves and hay/ straw/ wheat.
T- Big tart lemon and oranges with a dose of cloves and wheat thrown in. Sweet funky wet hay/ straw malt body. Slightly like a Hefe.
M- Sweet and tart with a spicy perfumy clove touch. Finishes off dry and tangy.

Overall- Nice taste/ flavors and enjoyable. A Hefe with quite a funky tart twang. I, personally, wouldn't make this a session beer.

NJpadreFan, Dec 02, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Was able to grab a six pack of this at the brewery. The renovations are incredible.

Pours a hazy, dark yellow with sprinklings of yeast with very little head for the style; no lacing-- what so ever.

Tastes amazingly crisp and complex at the same time. Biscuit and fruit combines to make up the dominant flavors in this beer.

Mouthfeel shines through with this brew. Almost sparkling wine carbonation-- but, not in a bad way.

All I have to say about drinkability is that I am kicking myself for only getting the six pack when there were still cases available.

ClassicBrad, Dec 01, 2008

Bottle courtesy of ClockworkOrange poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy, fluorescent yellow with a small bubbly white head that dissipates to a ring quickly and leaves very little lacing.

The aroma is dominated by the pepper and Belgian yeast. There is the banana and bubble-gum on top of a bready malt base as well.

The taste starts with a bit of honey sweetness that flows into the Begian yeast and bready malts. It's in the finish where the spices, especially pepper, comes back in.

The mouthfeel is smooth with enough carbonation to enhance the pepper and tingle the tongue a bit.

This is an interesting example of a saison, if not 100% true to the style, and extremely drinkable. The spices are there but in enough moderation to make it very smooth. One of the better Scratch beers I've had.

gford217, Nov 30, 2008

12 ounce brown bottle with 14-2008. No freshness date beyond that...

A: Pouring this beer at 40 degrees was the most interesting experience ever! I read some prior posts, but none described what I saw. After pouring this clear beer into my pilsner, a large bubble-like yeast funnel dropped down the center of the glass, much like a lava lamp when heated. I was a little nervous to drink it, but after it settled it appeared a bright, yet hazy brass in color with a super thick and chunky head that disappeared after about 5 minutes... The lava lamp effect was a first for me, bizarre!

S: Smells of fresh, zesty grapefruit-like citrus, some mild spices, Belgian candied sugars and Belgian yeast.

T/M: Tastes like the nose. Rich and a bit tart at times. Medium body with medium to full flavor throughout. Medium to high carbonation with a wet and slightly bitter finish.

D: Very tasty for a style of beer I don't normally go out of my way to try. Recommended if you are a fan of a nice American take on a Belgian-style ale.

beachbum1975, Nov 27, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Another surprise from Guzzle last night, and boy did he ever keep me busy. I had not had a new scratch beer in a few months so I was very happy to see this one come across my plate. Served cold, this twelve ounce bottle was decanted into a pint glass as I did not know the style going into it. Consumed on 11/18/2008.

The pour was huge. A large billowing cloud of white came up to a height of around three inches and stayed there for what seemed to me to be like ten minutes, only then settling down to manageable level and depositing tons of lace up and down the glass. Very hazy golden yellow in color this was certainly a very nice looking beer with lots of carbonation running through it as well.

The aroma was highly charged. Lots of notes of banana, clove, light pepper like spices that just perked up the nose as well. Some light grain touches were balanced in throughout now as well. The flavor followed along rather nicely I have to admit. Really very solid here, with a rich grain bill evident right up front. Nice touches of fruit mixed in now s well, banana, peach, pears, hints of pepper almost and a nice bit of fresh grass coming in through the finish. Nice medium body was more then adequately carbonated and the overall feel on this one was one that I really enjoyed quite a bit.

Overall I really liked this one, one of the better in the style I have had lately, as I have had a few that I was less then thrilled with to be honest. I would not mind at all seeing this one again, in fact I would look forward to it greatly.

mikesgroove, Nov 21, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Pours 1 finger of white head that doesn't stick around too long and leaves minimal lacing. The beer is a semi-transparent yellowish-orange. There's a good bit of sediment visible in the beer, as well as some carbonation bubbles.

S - Right off the bat the pepper and ginger make themselves known. Belgian yeast is also very prominent in the aroma.

M - A light bodied beer with a fairly high carbonation, but it works well with the beer.

T - Honey is the first flavor that strikes the palate. It slowly blends in with the Belgian yeast, pepper, and spices. There's a slight ginger flavor in the aftertaste. The taste from the Belgian yeast lingers after you swallow.

A pretty decent offering from Troegs. The carbonation keeps it nice and crisp. It's worth a try if you can find any.

boralyl, Nov 21, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz bottle hand-delivered from the brewery by idesofmarch89 (thanks!) poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a fairly light golden yellow with a white head that retreats into a halo rather quickly. Unlike a lot of previous reviews, mine poured rather clear (although poured very carefully.)

The Belgian yeast dominates both the smell and the taste. The nose also carries hints of citrus. Bananas and bread are also very present. As the palate adjusts, the light spicing is more apparent - clove stands out the most. There is an earthiness that emerges as it warms.

There is enough carbonation to keep this beer active. It is crisp and clear on the tongue.

A very drinkable offering where all of its aspects are present without being overpowering.

guzzle211, Nov 16, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

As always, many thanks go out to Deuane and ClockworkOrange for hooking me up - this time with a whole damn case!

Pours a vibrant, golden tangerine sort of color, cloudy but impressively colorful. Two fingers of white head settle to a pretty full lace and leave some stick here and there. A good amount of sediment is evident in the bottle, and I stirred a bit of it up and poured it in, which contributes to the cloudiness and leaves a dusting of sediment on the bottom of the glass, as well.

Smell is quite a bouquet of floral, herbal and fruity aromas, many of which are clearly the product of a great yeast strain. Also some honey-like sweetness, ginger and a bit of spice. Quite a bit going on and it comes together very nicely.

Taste starts off with a nice, subtle sweetness upon which there are complex floral, herbal and yeasty flavors. Some clove, anise and other spicing is also evident, along with some ginger. There is a cooling, menthol sort of sensation, as well; I'm sure the ginger is contributing to that. The taste is just a bit more grainy than the smell, but still I really like it. Complex, flavorful, smooth, and very easy to put down.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and quite smooth, also a touch on the dry side, and overall this is a very drinkable saison. I'm extremely impressed by this effort from Troegs. I've found a lot of the Scratch beers to be only so-so, but this one is excellent. I'm glad I have a case!

number1bum, Nov 13, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz Bottle

I just received this freshly released bottle from jasonm in a trade last week, thanks Jason! The large carbonation bubbles hyperactively swirl to the surface keeping the clean white micro bubbled head at a constant cap. The body is polished golden with a touch of haziness throughout. Each quick swirl brings the head back alive in no time. A chunk or two of lacing is left behind here and there after each drink. I'd like to see more of the Belgian styled meringue-like heads that stick everywhere.

The on this saison has a lot of spice to it. Clove and banana leap from the glass and are the most dominant of the spices. Bubblegum plays a big role as well. The yeast Troegs used is hugely expressive and leads more along the lines of a hugely estery Belgian pale. There's a slight bit candi sugar-like sweetness in the pale malt profile. This beer smells good but I can't find a whole lot of saison in the mix which hurts the score.

The banana and clove fade in the flavor letting more of the bubblegum and some earthiness that I couldn't pick up in the nose. Actually as this beer warms the clove picks up on the swallow which doesn't seem to fit the style. There is a spicy hopping mid-palate that's very enjoyable and eventually leaves a little tingle on the tongue. A slight clean booziness can be felt in the nose. This comes closer to a saison than the nose suggested but the spices are still the main focus.

The mouthfeel isn't very saison like either but it does fit the flavor profile nicely. There's a moderate bodied smoothness with a touch of viscosity and a rather mellow carbonation. The body lightens up before the swallow. The mild grassy hoppiness lingers.

The drinkability on this beer is pretty good. The glass disappeared before I realized it. I'm usually not that big on clove but this beer just kept going down.

This wasn't much of a saison, in my opinion, but it is a good brew overall. I like trying these Troegs Scratch Series beers. Thanks for the bottle Jason!

joe1510, Nov 08, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Received the brew from one of my main men BeerTruth. I've liked all of the Scratch brews except for the Belgium style ones. We'll see if this can change my mind. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Pours a nice bright yellow with a super fluffy bright white one finger head that recedes very slowly. Left behind is a thin cap and thick collar that manages to leave some spotty lacing. Champaign like carbonation bubbles throughout.
Smell- Starts with loads of sweet banana and lemon peel with a bit of spiciness in the background. I hope this doesn't taste as sweet as it smells. Ginger, white pepper and a bit of clove really come together nicely.
Taste- Soft banana and bits of ginger start the flavor with the tiniest bit of sweetness. A small amount of citrus lemon peel and maybe even a bit of orange is somewhat acidic. Bready at times with a raw doughy taste and light funky yeast. The finish is somewhat pithy and dry with a lemony bitterness.
Mouthfeel- A bit thin but not horribly so with some light crisp carbonation and dry tart finish.
Drinkability- Overall this is definitely my favorite of the Scratch Belgium brews. It's got a nice light Saison profile without being kind of over done like the others. Good brew but can't wait for 15, that's gonna rock. Big thanks again to Adam!!

younger35, Nov 07, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle from Capone's (Norristown, PA). Pours hazy golden, capped with a moderate sized white head. Appealing aroma of spice, citrus, banana, yeast, and white pepper. Flavor of wheat, honey, and yeast, with spice and cloves building towards the finish. Spice, herbs and earth linger for a long finish. A bit thin bodied, but a nice, refreshing beer overall.

krkearney, Nov 06, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

A bottle of the latest SB release. Had it on draft and while good I wasn't wowed by it.

A-Hazy, orange kissed, golden yellow with a thin white head that reduces to a ring leaving spotty lace.

S-Bright citrus aroma with lemon and orange being dominate. Earthy, musty yeast and a bit of chalkiness in the background.

T-Bright citrus smack with lemon and orange being dominate. Earthy, musty yeast and chewy biscuit malt in the finish. Dry chalky feel in the finish. Certainly a more citrus zing forward brew from the bottle than from draft.

M-Light to Medium-light body, bright and lively with a dry finish.

D-A rare case of a beer that is better from the bottle than it is from draft. Citrus notes are brighter and crisper with the musty, earthy yeast notes becoming secondary. This is what I enjoy in a saison. Very nice, jaunty, light and enjoyable brew.

Deuane, Oct 26, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks as always to number1bum and all the others in the PA crew involved that got another Scratch beer up to CNY.

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a murky yellow with a one finger slightly off-white head that slowly falls to a thin layer of foam. A few thin spots of lacing remain on the sides of the glass, but not much. Smell consists of sweet banana's, belgian yeasts, and a touch of ground pepper. Honey and pale malts tickle the nose as well with a bit of orange peel. Taste begins with more banana and clove followed by a citrus hop sting. Bread, pepper, and some grit midway. Aftertase is lemony and somewhat dry with more yeast flavors that linger on the tongue. I could see why the other reviews wouldn't like the mouthfeel on this beer, but personally I really enjoy it. Yeah, it's unique for the style but I think that's why I like it so much. A creamy, medium body with a light and flowing carbonation. Very smooth in the mouth, me likey. The other Belgian beers in the series (two tripels and a belgian strong) have been so-so, but this Saison is a winner. I've said it before and I'll say it again, let's see a Quad!!

BeerTruth, Oct 25, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

a: This was a cloudy, pale straw color. It poured with a medium sized white head that quickly faded to lace.

s: Aromas of sweet bready bananas are the most obvious smells. I also found prickly, funky rye, some peppery cloves, and some lemony hops.

t: This starts off sweet, with flavors bananas and doughy bread. The finish is hugely comples with a cluster of flavors all vying for attention. Drying rye flavors along with spicy (lots of pepper) and lemony hop tastes. This kind of reminds me of a cross between a hefe and a tripel.

m: They got the genuine, Belgian champagne like carbonation just right. The body has a slick, oily quality that I really like.

d: Troegs keeps putting out winner after winner. I keep waiting for a clunker in the scratch series but it hasn't happened yet. Lovin' Troegs more and more.

DIM, Oct 21, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Hazy gold with a short, bright white cap. Clumpy lacing. Looks pretty good. Nice aroma, lemon and bread up front with notes of yeast, cloves, honey and banana. The flavour was soft and full of malt (bread and honey sweetness) and light banana at first, but gave way to a solid spice character towards the end with plenty of white pepper and cloves lingering into the finish. Lemony citrus filled in mid-palate, creating a bridge between these two extremes. Quite tasty. Slightly slick texture with a smooth mouthfeel and very lively carbonation. Very drinkable with enough complexity to keep it interesting, but not enough to make it feel cloying. Another winner in the Scratch series.

DrJay, Oct 12, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazy, gold color with 1 finger-thick of an eggshell colored fairly dense head. The head dissipates to a thin surface layer after a minute or two.

Nutmeg and pepper hits my sinuses right away. A bit of sweet grapefruit and citrus aroma also comes through, but not very complex. Aroma is very aparant, but nothing flashy.

Sipping reveals a bit of a pepper right away on the tip of my tongue, while a bit of spice hits the sides of my tongue. A bit hoppy on the swallow. Again, nothing flashy, but good.

Sharp, tingly carbonation hits my palate right away. Fairly crisp, autumn brew. Finish is smoother than the upfront experience.

Very drinkable brew. Not the most flashy Troegs offering, but I don't believe it was their intention either. It makes a great session brew. I'm sure I'll finish my growler tonight! Sticks very true to the style, and represents the diversity that Troegs can really bring on. Overall, well done!

Fish113d, Oct 12, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Got a growler full of this liquid gold courtesy of Deuane in Growling at the Moon!!!

Pours a honey/lemon color, smallish white head fades out pretty fast, leaves a few stray spots of lacing on the glass. Smell is yeasty & grainy, a good amount of clove, and a faint whiff of pepper. Some banana flavors, more clove and pepper, hearty bread flavors, and some slight lemony tartness. Slightly creamy mouthfeel, but still relatively crisp and refreshing. I've got a growler to finish, so it's a good thing the drinkability is high on this one!! Big thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with such a tasty beer!!

corey0212, Oct 09, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz bottle received in trade from Deuane. Thanks man! Into my Chimay goblet.

A: This is one yeasty, cloudy beer that pours a light mango color. There's a thin white head that dissipates fairly quickly to a ring

S: On the nose, this beer is pretty darned delicious with a ton of spices - pepper, clove, a hint of ginger, honey-like sweetness, fruitiness with a mild orange-like character. Beautiful and complex.

T: On the palate, this beer explodes with a ton of spices - pepper, clove and nutmeg spring to the front, followed up with some floral and honey-like sweetness. Dries up on the finish, leaving an excellent, spicy finish with a fleeting hint of ginger.

M: Oh dear lord, if this beer wasn't as flat, this would be spectacular. The carbonation in this bottle is lacking, leading to it being rather heavy on the palate. This is not a fullish- beer, though - it's rather dry and some carbonation would have been wonderful

D: Excellent, I could go for another. I'm going to hold off and hope that the others carbonate, though

DefenCorps, Oct 09, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

Many thanks to Dyan for sharing a bottle from his 6 pack of this delicious stuff.

The beer pours a hazy gold color with fair head retention and good lacing. The beer looks OK, but the first indication I'm in for something special occurs when I take the first sniff. Holy mother Maria! There is a huge presence of banana, clove and allspice, wrapped aroud sweet cherry honey. This beer really smells pretty amazing.

As good as this beer smells, it's even better on the palate. The beer is moderately sweet with tons of clove, allspice, nutmeg and honey. The combination of bubble gum and clove is mind boggling, making for a rich exotic flavor package. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth and the alcohol is fairly well disguised. The beer is not heavy or cloying on the palate, though rich as it is, I'm not sure I could ever drink more then one or two.

This is an absolutely amazing beer, one I wish Troegs made more of, or at least made it more available. Hopefully they'll have it at the brewery for a while, as I've suddenly discovered a need to go make a special visit, growler in hand.

John_M, Oct 08, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks go to Deuane for this bottle.

Pours an extremely hazy, yellow / dirty orange color. Probably the only beer I have ever seen that was this color. Thin off-white head leaves only a speck or two of lacing. Something about this just looks dirty.

The scent is very faint at first but improves as it warms. This one has a musty aroma to it... very barnyard. There's a bit of bread in there, wet hay and some citrus, too. Somewhat spicy.

The flavor is more on the spicy side. It has a dose of funk and some sweet lemon grass. Yeast is noticeable throughout.

Thinner feel to it. Prickly, dry tingle on the tongue. Overall a rather enjoyable beer. Another interesting brew from Troegs in the Scratch series.

Imstillthegman, Oct 06, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -2%

A growler filled on 3-Oct-08 and consumed the following day.

A: The saison is a turbid yellow-brown color that I'd call yellow tang. The haziness is unmistakeable and never quite settles out. A small head emerged on each pour.

S: The nose is musky, strong with spices and yeast. The spices include anise and pepper; the yeast dry with heat and fruit.

T: The saison is somewhat pedestrian up front, showcasing some spices but nothing memorable. As a sip continues to develop, anise flavors emerge with some peppery heat. A touch of brett-inspired funk, like a fresh Orval, lingers in the background. Ginger? I'm not picking that one up but a subtle anise flavor nicely carries the ale. The yeasty dryness lasts long.

M: The dryness of the yeast really nails this as a saison. Anise, in a mild form, works well also.

D: A better than average saison, this one works but doesn't set a gold standard (like many other Scratch offerings have).

akorsak, Oct 05, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Via growler pour into Mad Elf challice on 10/3/08. Shared with Deuane and brewslut.

A - Pale orange/cantaloupe-colored body with very slow-rising bubbles of carbonation and almost one finger of off-white head that transformed into a wispy film and left sparse lacing.

S - Spicy nose with a bit of pepper, ginger and citrus notes. Heavy on the Belgian yeast. Ginger becomes more pronounced as the liquid warmed up. Hints of orange zest also emerge.

T - Pepper and ginger up front with a mild fruity aspect and plenty of yeast. Barnyard funk and some wet hay in the backend with a bit of spicy, earthy yeast and a musty character. Some crusty bread emerges in the finish as well.

M - Pretty light bodied with a slightly syrupy texture and quite a bit of carbonation on the tongue, resulting in a prickly mouthfeel. Finish is dry, spicy and a little bitter on the palate.

D - Another solid Scracth brew from Troegs. Not one of my favorite styles, but this is pretty light and drinkable. This brew has a lot of spice and musty qualities, but otherwise it is pretty accessible.

ffejherb, Oct 04, 2008