2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Flying Mouflan - Tröegs Brewing Company

Flying MouflanFlying Mouflan

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  9.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,242 | Reviews: 563 | Show All Ratings:
wedge421

Just posted my video review for this amazing beer. This beer will be the game changer for Troegs.

A- Dark mahogany with the smallest tint of a red to it. Egg shell head with excellent lacing.

S - Amazing citrus and spicy hop characters overwhelm the senses.

T - Wow! Sweet malts perfectly matched with the amazing hops in this one. Little bitterness and the alcohol is only slightly present.

D - If this beer wasnt almost a 10% beer this would be a great drinker. Oh hell..its a great drinker no matter what!

04-16-2010 21:43:27 | More by wedge421
forcedlaughter

I'm going to say up front that this is my favorite Barleywine. I have had this before and each bottle is better with some added age.

Looks great in a glass. Deep dark red with a small creamy head that actually sits for longer than expected.

Smells sweet and rich. Dark fruits and hops.

Tastes great. Very sweet, so this is a sipper. Really let this one warm up a bit to get the most out of it. A really good hop bite up front, and sweet candy and fruits linger a little after each sip. Almost reminds me of a DIPA/Barleywine because it's so hopppy.

Mouthfeel is perfection. Coats the mouth, not much carbonation at all, which is right for the style.

Despite the ABV, the drinkability is high (for a barleywine). It's a sipper, after dinner beer. I plan on stocking up on any and all bottles I see from this spring release and hope to do a review with some significant age.

09-15-2011 16:37:41 | More by forcedlaughter
obywan59

4.97/5  rDev +20%

650ml bottle. The only reference to Mouflan I could find besides this beer was a wild Asian sheep with black hair and curved horns on the males. Troegs says the name "Flying Mouflan" will become clear when you reach the bottom of the glass!!!??? Troegs classifies Flying Mouflan as "pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff". Couldn't read the date, but I'm thinking it's the 2010 release.

Pours a beautiful mahogany. 3 1/2 finger light tan yeasty looking head with big bubbles (hard pour). Plenty of lacing.

Wonderful fresh citrusy hop and sweet malt aroma Not quite metallic. Fresh like laundry that's been dried on the line. Fresh like a breath of fresh air.

More citrusy and flowery hops on the tongue with bittersweet chocolate and dark fruits to round it out. Excellent balance throughout.

Medium mouthfeel. Lightly syrupy character with some warming in the throat.

It took me a while to drink this, but I'm giving it high marks for drinkability. Combining this mouthfeel with such a huge taste and wonderful aroma makes this beer one to savor.

I like this better than Nugget Nectar.

Oh yeah, one final word: I'm flying, and I'm a sheep.

04-24-2010 03:54:22 | More by obywan59
sitarist

4.97/5  rDev +20%

Pours a deep walnut, the head is tan and falls to a ring that leaves a fair amount of lacing.

Smells like a dank, humid, pine forest, with some funky humus / earthy scents, fresh cut wood, candied apple, there are hints of allspice, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, pecan, kind buds, pumpernickel, a lot of bold scents.

Strong flavors: licorice, clove, candied apple, toasted pecans, smokey roasted meat, a lot of spice. Bold and balanced.

Sticky, thick, and warm. It sticks to my tongue, warms my throat, and tickles my brain.

Cant get any closer to perfect! This beer isn't for the weak. Im so glad I tried this, what a great surprise. WOW! I cant imagine how this will age?

06-21-2010 02:27:26 | More by sitarist
DIM

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

I've already reviewed scratch #4, but what the hell, since there is a seperate listing, I'll add my $.02.

a: This was a dark ruby mahogany color. It pours with a nice sized light tan head.

s: A spectacular combination of fresh, juicy citrus, boozy raisins, sweet caramel that at times suggests chocolate, and a whisper of heat.

t: I know "juicy" isn't an adjective generally used to describe a flavor. It fits here though. This tastes "juicy". Explosive and freshly pungent citrus flavors combine with chocolatey caramel that is sweet, but not astringent. As the label states, the hop profile is reminescent of Nugget Nectar. From my experience with Scratch #4, I can say that this does mature into a lovely, English barleywine fairly quickly. When fresh though, this is easily my favorite American b-wine. Thanks to Troegs for bringing this back to life.

m: Creamy, juicy and full-bodied. Perfect.

d: One of my all-time favorites that I feared I would never try fresh again. A stunningly great beer.

04-11-2009 15:52:16 | More by DIM
oelergud

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

Tall 22oz brown glass bottle with a pry-off cap. The label is a feather winged bottlecap with a long devil tail.
Very dark maple syrup body. Coarse creamy tan head with good retention and decent lace.
Intense nose of well balanced malts and hops. Hop cone dripping caramel malts and sprinkled with mild spice.
The flavor is a concentrated mix of pine hops, grass, dark earth malts, caramel and toffee, nuts and bitter sweet chocolate and pommegranate.
Full body with lots of residual sugars. Good coating and slick.
Highly drinkable. This is like a concentrated version of the Nugget Nectar.

-Oelergud

04-12-2009 00:33:04 | More by oelergud
IPAescotch

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

Best beer i have every tasted, hands down. First barley wine as well, but from what i understand barley wines are usually sweeter. This beer however balances a complexity of smell and flavor with just enough bitterness to appeal to a hophead. A snifter is imho the best way to enjoy this exceptional beverage.

Way to go TROEGS!
A: dark, a coarse brown

S: skittles and whole wheat. Earthy yet aromatic, like herbal perfume.

T: Can sweetness and hops really go together like this? woven together in a web which matches in character what it accomplishes intricately in flavor.

M: Nothing too noticeable. Savory and carbonated.

D: IMHO best beer. At least out of the relatively cheap crafts i've tried. Drinkable only for it's superb taste

08-26-2010 23:41:13 | More by IPAescotch
MoMaMe

Maryland

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

I absolutely LOVE this beer... it's my new favorite.

My other favorites are Guinness Foreign Extra and Gorden Biersch's Winterbock... I like strong, dark, heavy beers with a lot of flavor.

This beer has everything! It's very strong, with a crisp, strong flavor, but more refreshing than a Guinness, but not as smooth. The aftertaste is great, and it has a more robust flavor than Guinness.

I give it a 5 star rating. The only reason I gave it a slightly lower rating on mouthfeel is because it's not as smooth as some stouts I have tried, but it was still very smooth.

My only complaint is that it is very hard to find this beer. Not many people have heard of it.

08-05-2012 21:35:45 | More by MoMaMe
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

My glass is graced with a fine veneer of red iron. It is an icy tone, with a light burgundy gloss when held to the light, a fine looking gemstone, something worthy of the Smithsonian. Its bubbles cascade in reverse and entrance like a James Brown dance routine. The head is tight-fitted and discolored, it looks like something recently unearthed from the attic.

The aroma exhumes a sap so luscious and ambrosial it was presumably pulled from the tree of life itself, a nectar so exquisite and honeyed it must have taken the toil of angels to be conceived. This aroma harbors all the deliciousness of the spectrum: a touch of leafy greenness, a vivid and sharp citrus and the most succulent caramel.

I love the name. 'Flying Mouflan' sounds like the name of an eccentric magician or Eastern European trapeze act; it turns out to actually be a little bit of both. Like the clowns that all file out the tiny car, this bottle is jammed with so much maltiness and so much hoppiness it's freakish! As for how they made the alcohol disappear, that's a trick I've yet to figure out.

The brewers promise that patience will be rewarded with luscious malts and mellowed hops - they could not have been more right. With about a year's age under it, this couldn't offer a more divine set of flavours: caramel coated figs, gourmet tootsie rolls, hazelnut, chocolate brownies sprinkled in chopped peanuts and fine Swiss chocolate.

That's not to mention the pithy plump citrus and the resiny bitters, the pineapple chunks and coconut shavings. This has all the intensity and flavour of an aged port but without the residual sugariness. The flavours are sweet, to be sure, but on the palate the beer is never once cloying. In this moment, I pity wine drinkers, consider them pathetic.

When I reviewed Scratch 4 over a year ago, I lamented the fact that the recipe would never be brewed again; fortunately, the Troegs brothers came to their senses. This, to my tastes, is an epitome of American barleywine. A case of it should be locked away in a time capsule somewhere... I sure hope we'll continue to see this long into the future.

04-16-2010 17:42:16 | More by biegaman
OddNotion

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into my Sierra Nevada bulb glass.

Appearance: Deep mahogany color with ruby notes when held up to the light. One finger khaki colored head.

Smell: Big malty sweetness. What I consider that "classic" barleywine smell lingers in the background with some faint chocolate notes in the background as well. Some citrusy hops are in the nose but take a back seat.

Taste: So freakin smooth. My favorite barelywine to date. Soft chocolate notes stand out. Not as bitter as I remember last year's batch being but still has a nice hope presence. Very malty but not cloying by any means. Some nice dark fruits come out more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy feel. Full bodied but still nicely carbonated. Actually goes very well with the flavor. Not too thick which is great for this big beer.

Overall: My favorite barleywine and I look forward to this each and every year. Yet another reason why I feel that Troegs has the best seasonal line up of any brewery. Great balance. I cant wait to do my vertical.

06-14-2011 00:25:43 | More by OddNotion
mfunk9786

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

From a bomber, bottled on date is 4/7/2010. Just 10 days old! Was urged by a fellow at the brewery to drink it as soon as possible so I can enjoy the hops.

A: Beautiful mahogony with a soapy white one-finger head when looked at straight on, sunset amber when looked at from the bottom of my Piraat glass.

S: Smells like a keyed-up Nugget Nectar as promised... with that usual tingly Barleywine note reminding you that you're going to feel a lot more sociable by the end of the bottle.

T: The taste is out of control. Since this is so fresh, the juicy hop flavors are turned up to 11, followed by the taste of prune, licorice, and chocolate. By far the best balance of flavors I've ever had in an American Barleywine - it's worth noting that with so much going on, it's still lacking in astringency or alcohol burn that a lot of lesser beers of this style suffer from. Perfect.

M: The head lingers on, so there's a nice tingle going on throughout. I drank Appalachian Brewing Co's Barleywine yesterday and was put off by how syrupy it was - this is the antithesis of that. Light, fizzy, and...

D: ...Very, very drinkable. Yet another pitch-perfect beer from Tröegs.

If you find this, don't make the mistake I made only buying one bottle. Hell, buy a case and age some of it. It's worth it.

04-18-2010 00:50:55 | More by mfunk9786
haazer

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Found this one at Abes beverages in Bethlehem, have been wanting to try this one ever since I heard about it. Since I got it in august its been sitting on the shelf for about 4 months. Poured this into my tulip glass.

A- Looks like melted hersheys chocolate in a glass. Interestingly enough, I poured this slowly into the glass with almost no head forming, but when I stop the head drops about 2 fingers deep below the surface. The head is tan, and refuses to move. When it finally does go down theres lacing left all over the sides.

S- This beer smells strongly of pine needles, citrus, and orange peels. A hint of the hoppy taste to come!

T- The hops make themselves present right away, grassy. Before the bitterness becomes overwhelming your hit with chocolate. The chocolate then turns to the fruity taste of strawberry. Then the drink turns very sweet, with strong hints of toffee and sugar. It almost feels like they took this beer and solidified it into a hard candy. At the very end of these many tastes is a slight hint of coffee.

M- Very creamy and smooth. Milk, cream, half n half? Take your pick. However the beer does leave your mouth slightly dry(probly due to high abv)

D- This only doesn't get a 5 because of the slightly dry feeling and high abv. I would want to drink this beer year round instead of the one month that Troeg's makes it out of the year. The complex flavors actually compliment eachother very well and dont hinder this drinkability at all.

This might be one of, if not my favorite beer I've had so far. I'd love to try this one fresh having tried it about 4-5 months after being brewed. Being that it aged it really feels like the hops have mellowed but are definately still there. A true treasure from Troegs.

09-01-2010 02:49:17 | More by haazer
bashiba

Iowa

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured a deep cloudy red with a long lasting light sticky ring of tan head with large bubbles.

The smell is so good and so intense, big medicinal Nugget hops along with toasted deep bready malts. Very nice!

Great flavor, big and full with tons of hop and malt goodness mixing to very high levels. First flavor is big toasted fresh bready malts with a light bit of brown sugar sweetness and a hint of molasses, then the hops kick in with a big funky, punget, and medicinal hop flavor that I assume is all nuggett. Great balance for such a giant flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is ultra thick and syrupy with tons of long lasting hop resin leaving a long lasting thick hop resin coating.

Very drinkable for a monster barleywine, I absolutely love it. Great Job Troeg, you should be proud. And thanks to my Doctor for this great beer to try.

03-01-2011 01:45:22 | More by bashiba
luvND

P: 22oz bomber
A: Deep, ruby red, great head and lacing
S: Piney, citrusy, resiny, faint hints of malt come through
T: AWESOME, sweet up front and so nicely bitter in the back. Label says chocolate flavor hints which I dont really get, but enough malt nonetheless to balance a great citrusy hop bitterness.
M: Creamy and damn near perfect
D: Filling, but very drinkable.
Notes: This one is best at cellar temp, too cold gets harsh but at cellar or even room temp it is out of this world. Troegs continues to get better and better. This one rivals any west coast hop monster. Thanks to the bros for the scratch series.

04-01-2009 22:12:26 | More by luvND
Plenum

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Can't believe I have to wait 7 more months for more of this...

Had it from a bomber...great burnt, almost black orange color. Small amount of lacing...great looking brew.

Some pine in there, can tell there's some chocolate and a bit of fruit/citrus.

Very complex taste...comes in with citrus and pine, and leaves with sugar, chocolate and maybe even a hint of coffee

I liked this one a lot.

Good thick mouthfeel. Very drinkable...even at the high abv.

Well done Troeg's...now just do more....

08-26-2009 21:54:04 | More by Plenum
yesyouam

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Tröegs Flying Mouflan is a clear, reddish brown ale with a thick, dense, bubbly, oily beige head that has outstanding retention. The aroma is slightly sweet and quite hoppy. It smells floral, with notes of orange, grass, caramel and bubble gum. It has a super smooth full body with a clean dry finish. It tastes bold and well balanced. It's slightly sweet with caramel and has a roastiness, like chocolate and coffee. There are notes of orange peel and black pepper. Juniper and wood resin provide the taste for the finish. This is super enjoyable. There are lots of different flavors going on, but they never interfere with each other. This is a world class ale, the kind I run across once or twice a year. I never even thought of it as a barleywine. I was just kind of thinking of it as an American strong ale while I was drinking it. Now that I think about it, I guess it could be a barleywine. Either way, it's epic!

07-10-2010 19:07:29 | More by yesyouam
drinkiusmaximus

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

A- Pours a nice ruby color with a 2 finger with head with is slow to recede.

S- This is weird I am picking up a slight hoppines with a black licorice smell, dunno if this is par for this brew but it has me intrigued.

T- A nice mingle of hop bitterness and malty backbone. tastes almost of a american strong ale than a barleywine.(besides the 2010 bigfoot from SN)

M- In a word Great... medium bodied slightly reminescent of SSRA I mean WOW is this an amber SSRA.

D- Certainly among the top American barleywines out there; wonderful balancing act between the hops and the malt reminiscent of one of my favorite beers. I would call this a Red Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale very next to perfect!!!

07-19-2010 04:07:59 | More by drinkiusmaximus
joshstevens87

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A-pours a dark copper with an inch or so or lighter tan head
S-a nice citrusy hop aroma with a nice amount of sweet malt and alcohol in the background
T-an amazing mix of citrus hops and bready sweet malt taste an amazingly complex blend of malt and hops with notes of citrus and sweet breadyness
M-nice full body with no carbonation even with the hops this beer is amazingly smooth
D-awesomely drinkable at 9.3 it is remarkably smooth with a huge amount of hops. malt and booze to make any beer drinker happy

04-19-2010 03:41:14 | More by joshstevens87
BillH200174

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color is brown with some orange hues. The head was white to off-white peachy, leaving behind good lacing. The aroma was rich full citrus hops, tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, full bodied caramel and chocolate too. The flavor followed suite, a really well balanced. The mouthfeel was balanced, full malts, not quite sticky, with a huge hop bite.

02-25-2012 14:20:08 | More by BillH200174
ffejherb

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle into Mad Elf challice on 3/15/09.

A - Poured a beautiful royal plum-colored body with deep reddish highlights and almost two full fingers of creamy beige head that settled into a thin veil, yielding an exquisite patchwork of sticky lacing that decorated the sides of the glass.

S - The Flying Mouflan delivers a pungent hop bouquet featuring tons of piney, resiny hop goodness with a slpash of tangy citrus fruit and even a bit of earthy, woody notes. However, the aggressively hopped up aroma is balanced by an equally brawny malt presence with burnt caramel notes and a toasted grainy character. A moderate waft of alcohol also appears as the liquid warmed up.

T - Opens with a flavor explosion of piney and resiny hops and a bit of citrus. However, despite such a huge hop character, there is also quite a strudy malt backbone comprised of caramel malt, toasted grains and burnt sugar. This is a battle of hops versus malt, and I'm not sure which is victorious.

M - Exceptionally creamy and smooth mouthfeel for such an extreme barleywine. Hop bitterness isn't as harsh as I remember Scratch #4 being, but it is certainly bold and aggressive. Carbonation is bristly but not overdone, and lends itself to the creaminess of the mouthfeel.

D - This straddles the line between American Barleywine and DIPA. Scratch #4 is the beer that really got me into the barleywine style, so needless to say it was indeed a pleasure to experience this phenomenal brew again. I am glad I purchased a whole case of this. Aside from Nugget Nectar, this is probably the best brew Troegs has ever concocted. Simply put, this is an amazing beer.

03-16-2009 00:42:56 | More by ffejherb
Pencible

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured a hazy dark mahogany with a bit of tan head. It smelled like strong juicy pineapple, with some mango and grape and milk chocolate. It tasted like a beautiful blend of pineapple, mango, and grape hops with some milk chocolate and sweet caramel. It was fairly thick with a hint of carbonation, and had a sweet and tart aftertaste. Overall this had a very clean taste that was super flavorful and delicious. Nice body too, and very easy to drink. The alcohol was noticeable, so this beer might mellow out even more and improve with some age. But it's already so good fresh. I'd love to try this side by side with Nugget Nectar, because they seem have a lot of similar flavor elements. Mouflan just takes it one step further, which is simply magnificent.

05-18-2009 15:06:18 | More by Pencible
maximum12

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to a fine trader, AdamDC, for swinging two bottles of this gem my way. Troegs barleywine with lots of hops? Where do I sign!!

Looks like murky, unfiltered, reddish stained muck, & I mean that kindly. The smell is richly sweet, with a nice touch of hops. My mouth is watering. As the Mouflan warms, the hops come out even more in the nose, almost like a good IPA. Wow.

Damn! The Flying Mouflan, whatever it might be, is chunky tasty. The sweet Belgian candy taste rattles my gums & make my fillings ache with happiness. The hops come in behind & keep the mouth-melting sweets from becoming cloying & overwhelming with a tart, dry bitterness that jumps like hoppy fire up into my nose to tickle my old man hairs (time to pluck!). The combination is just stellar. As it warms both sweet & hop become even more pronouned & dance like Prince & Sheena. You know what I mean.

I could drink this until I woke up having given my fortune to Bernie Madoff.

Wow. Spectacular beer & one of the best straight-up barleywines I've ever had - the hops just reload the taste into a different stratosphere. Grasping for a reason not to give this an A+. I simply can't find one. Wow.

07-08-2009 01:40:05 | More by maximum12
number1bum

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to Deuane and ClockworkOrange for hooking me up with a couple of these beauties.

I love the label on this one. Probably my favorite of all of Troegs brews. Pours a very deep copper/medium brown color with a very dense and creamy two fingers of tan head. Retention is good, keeping a mostly full, albeit thin lace, and it coats the sides of the glass nicely with a bit of stick strewn about.

Smells of a combination of juicy, fruity hops and bold malts. Hops are juicy and citrusy, with a bit of pine too, and the malt is biscuity, with sweet dark caramel and even a bit of a toasty aroma. It's a nice balance but the juicy nature of the hops really separate it from most barleywines and lead me to believe that fresh is probably best for this beer.

Taste features the same combination of hop flavor and a rich malt profile. Lots of dark caramel and a bready/biscuity flavor, some toasted malt and even a hint of chocolate. Hops feature juicy citrus flavor as well as a significant earthiness, as well as some resiny pine. It's beautifully balanced and again the freshness of the hops adds an element that takes this above and beyond most any other barleywine I've ever had. The alcohol is well hidden which is very important given that I'm advocating for drinking it fresh.

Mouthfeel is closer to a full body than a medium one, and is very smooth, with an outstanding creaminess and a slick, oily feel. Carbonation is moderate which seems appropriate.

This is just an outstanding beer. I'm glad they decided to take this Scratch brew and make it a full production one. It's just outstanding; the best barleywine I've ever had. Unlike most barleywines I really can't see aging this brew doing much for it; I'm certain it would still be very good, but the fresh, juicy hop flavor is what makes this truly special. Get it quick and drink it fresh!

03-29-2009 20:31:19 | More by number1bum
Stunner97

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance- dark brown with nice thin tan head that quickly fades away, a decent amount of bubbles can be seen streaming up the glass in the not fully clear but still decently transparent beer, has a nice look of carbonation with a nice glow to it

Smell- very nice smell, has a hint of chocolate malts, slight roasted malts, definitely a bit of hops mixed in citrus and mix, a very nice strong smell leaps out at you, very interesting,

Taste- wow very nice beer, its such an interesting to me flavor, very big mix of malts and hops, has big big malts but still has an extremely drinkable and hoppy finish, its a true blend of the ipa style and the barleywine style, this is a big finish ill tell you that beautiful lingering flavor

Mouthfeel- Very smooth soft and thick, very very full bodied brew, nice feel

Drinkability- So drinkable the alcohol is a kick i n the bucket despite the high number, its just so smooth and so balanced, could drink this all nite, such a great hop finish yet such a great malty sweetness, balance and flavor are both great on this, great beer and very unique beer by troegs one you definitely want to try if you can, and would be very interesting to see age

05-19-2009 02:50:13 | More by Stunner97
MetalHopHead6

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Troegs The Flying Mouflan is delicious, complex, and balanced to the extreme.

I often ask myself what beer I would choose if I could only have one forever. The Flying Mouflan is a serious contender for best-beer-ever. It poured mud-brown with reddish-purple hints, with a thick tan head that quickly dissipated. The smell and taste were complex and rich, with sweet dark fruit and hints of honey and chocolate. This may have had the most flavor I've experienced from a beer. The feel was extreme and extremely well-balanced, with smooth maltyness and a nice bitter finish. The alcohol level felt perfect with the complex flavor, leaving a perfect amount of warmth to compliment the complex flavor and feel.

The Flying Mouflan provides a remarkable multi-sensory happy-to-be-alive experience.

05-16-2010 19:12:20 | More by MetalHopHead6