Tröegs Flying Mouflan - Tröegs Brewing Company

American Barleywine |  9.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2009

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Thick tan head that sticks to the side of the glass off the original pour, head retention is pretty impressive, medium brown in color with a faint amber hue, small and slow moving bubbles, visible legs off a swirl of the glass - 4.50, S: Strong hop bouquet, reminds me of their Nugget Nectar on steroids, quite resiny and pungent along with significant grapefruit and hint of orange, malt also makes a showing on the nose quite sweet and somewhat caramelly, hop dominated aroma - 4.00, T: Though classified as a barley wine - and certainly within the category - Flying Mouflan toes the line with an Imperial IPA, loads of citrus balanced with a solid layer of thick caramel malts, very sweet - akin to a raisin, alcohol is quite noticeable, sturdy hop bite which I haven't given the chance to mellow with age since it was only bottled one month ago - 4.25, M: Slight syrupy taste, very smooth and velvety - 3.50, D: All around a very drinkable beer, it might lean a little more to the side of hops than you'd expect from a Barley Wine, but that pleases me quite fine - 4.00

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours out an orange-amber but turns to a deeper red-brown in the glass. Off white head is ~2 fingers.

S - Well balanced with spicy hops taking a slight lead over the sweet malt base. Hops smell great, unique. Unlike some other brews this has a fresh hop smell to it rather than just a lot of hops, though I'm sure the latter is true as well. The site says Chinook and Simcoe make up most of the hop profile, I get more Chinook, Simcoe usually gives off more tropical smells in my experience.

T - Again really well balanced, but the hops take the lead. Slightly tropical, somewhat piney, somewhat spicy. Malt backbone is sweet but not much caramel, which is a good thing. I find a lot of brews have too much caramel malt in them for my liking. Decent hop bite, though my abused taste buds are a bit numb after a spicy lunch. It's no bad yet because it's still cold but I anticipate significant booziness as it warms and the bomber gets emptier.

M/D - Full body with moderate stickiness. Pretty easy to drink but I have enough sense to know that something with this much flavor packs a punch, a sipper for sure. Really nice beer, maybe a tad expensive.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

From a 2010 bomber, the Mouflan pours a deep mahogany, with garnet highlights. The dense tan head is creamy and laces wonderfully on the glass.

Aroma is of hops, mostly, with lots of earthy, woody notes in addition to some fruity juiciness a la Nugget Nectar.

Flavor is great. Some claim it's hop forward; I would disagree. This is a well-balanced barleywine. There is definitely a lingering bitterness and strong hop character, but I get just as much rich, luscious malt. As the drink wears on, the beer opens up, showing its well-designed malt architecture. I get some dark, chocolatey breadiness like a doppelbock, but there is a lot of sweet, candied caramel that firmly places this brew in the barleywine category. Dark fruit and light roastiness contribute to the complexity. The best part about the Mouflan might be the mouthfeel, which I don't think could be any better. It's thick and chewy without being overbearing, and the carbonation is spot-on.

All in all, a joy to drink, like pretty much every other Troegs offering. I can see the similarities with Nugget Nectar, but the Mouflan is really a whole different malty animal. This might be my new favorite barleywine.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... dark copper colored with a finger thick head that leaves some spotted lacing and decent retention

S- Not as pungent smelling as I expected... hints of dark fruits, both sweet and sour, belgian sugars, with a boozy backbone

T- Starts out a bit sweet... dark fruits, sugar, and honey. Finishes with a tasty mild hoppiness

M- Medium body with lighter carbonation

D- Its another good one from the Troegs brothers, but definitely not as good as the rave I'd been hearing... I bought a second bottle, so we'll try it again in a while

CHEERS!!

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours an almost opaque raisin color with some hues of brown - pretty much a mahogany color. Big caramel colored head and too opaque to tell if there any carbonation. Considering it was poured in a Duvel tulip, I'll have to assume there is.

S - Could be more aromatic. Faint traces of hops, some raisins, some toffee bitter sweetness, dark fruit. Again, I was hoping for some more aroma coming from this.

T - As I worked my way through the bottle, the aftertaste resembled that of Nugget Nectar, only with some bittersweet chocolate mixed in. I would have never believed it prior, but it certainly is, it's a hard paradigm for me to grasp. Has flavors of citrus bitterness with a very small trace of pine, raisins, some herbal grassiness, and bittersweet chocolate. All I can say is, "Wow!!" It's refreshing to experience a barley that is heavily hopped (I won't mention any other names!), I'm really enjoying this. It's not overly deep or complex but it does strike a very nice balance with a slight nod going towards the hoppiness. I still can't believe how this bittersweet metallic flavor resembles Nugget Nectar. Very well done.

M - Medium heavy body with mild carbonation on the tongue.

D - This scores high. I'm really digging the balance in this barley, very well done.

Overall, this has been a tough one to get and I'm glad I procured two bottles of this. I can't say enough about the balance (which sometimes gets to be an overused cliche'). Id say this would be a good transition beer if any hop heads are looking to explore barleywines for the first time. Being an IPA hophead, barleywines are my second most favorite and this one definitely delivers. Rock-n-roll fist pump for you, Troegs.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

pours a cloudy amber color with spare creamy head and spare lacing. smells lightly toasted and very sweet. taste it much the same but more potent. average hop flavor and soft carbonation. flavor duration is very long and moderately bitter. medium body with a fairly creamy texture. very different from other barleywines that i've had. very delicious, although very different than i assumed it would be. this beer surpassed all my expectations. alcohol well hidden.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Dark brown/slight red and very unfiltered. Slowly fading light brown head with good sticky lacing on the glass.

S - Tons and tons of fresh hops similar to nugget nectar. The grain bill gives nice mellow caramel undertones to the aroma.

T - Again, sort of like nugget nectar but a step up. Hops are more pronounced and are more distinct. Malts are slightly toasted and give a nice smooth flavor. Overall very nicely balanced.

M/D - Big body with a sharp dry finish. Semi-smooth on the palate and the alcohol comes through at the end. Overall quite the addictive brew and would be interesting to see how it changes with some age on it

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottled on 4/07/10, reviewed on 4/29/10. One fresh, one saved to review in a year or so. Poured into a big ol' snifter.

A: This is very nice looking. Good deep, red and brown color. Fairly dark. Head was booming at first, but has dissipated to some large, oily bubbles floating on top of the beer. Screams barleywine. Has some legs on it as well.

S: Wow! This smells like an even hoppier Nugget Nectar. Loses the sweet hop aroma of NN and takes on quite a bitter aroma. Alcohol is present for sure for how fresh this brew is. Had to review it fresh to understand its complexities. Still holds the big malt backbone of NN, but the sweet fruits are gone. On comes monstrous grapefruit and huge bitter hops. Definitely boards the American Barleywine train.

T: Huge hit of sweet malts on a see-saw with huge citrus hops and bitterness. This is almost the definition of balance. Sweet hits with hints of vanilla and caramel, hops fight back with huge right hooks of orange/orange zest and grapefruit and it fights back with some mellow peach and apple type flavored sweetness. Very complex barleywine. Not overly hopped like many American BW's try to do. This is perfect in my opinion.

M: Nice and slick on the tongue, coats the inside cheeks and puckers the mouth towards the end. Teeth dry with the hop bitterness, but also leaves you feeling you need to go to the dentist with a sweet tooth. Medium-full body, great barleywine consistency.

D: Very fresh, this beer is just a bit hot, the body of the beer tends to mellow the heat though. Huge bodied barleywine. Very impressed with this one. Just barely draws the line between the seas for barleywines. Sweet and hoppy. Fantastic beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Got this from my buddy 2DogBrew because he knew I'd like it. No trade involved. He is just that great of a guy. Cheers Russ!

I poured this into my Duvel tulip and was a little surprised by how dark it was. In my defense, I haven't had a barleywine in quite some time and I've been drinking mostly sours, saisons, and fruit beers as of late. Anyway... It is a deep toasted marron color with a head the color of the crust of white bread. The head rose up nearly 3 fingers -- vigorous pour on my part (I was excited to try it, what do you want from me?). This leaves some big chunks of lacing. They are clinging hard to the glass, but not really forming rings... More like big continents of irregularly shaped land-masses of lace that very slowly drift apart or come together.
Solid on the looks...

I really pick up some sweet maltiness and a little pine. A touch of alcohol really seems to fit right in as well. This smell is very nice-- almost like a lumberjack's potpourri scent! The taste is the same way. It is big and burly, with lots of malty goodness but a very nice hefty hop kick. The sweet finish is a little boozey but gives a nice hint of a warming sensation.

This has a great body and is perfectly carbonated for the style. Very nice and easy to sip on. I am having no problem finishing this bomber solo. It might be a problem to stand back up... but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

a good swirl really releases the toffee and coffee smells. As I near the end of the bomber, and it has warmed up considerably, I am really unable to find any flaw about this beer. There is nothing I don't like.

If any one knows how this ages, shoot me a message!!

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Picked up an annual case from Cold Spring Beverages in Yardley, PA. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Allagash tall snifter glass. Pours a solid and cloudy colored brownish red...brown being the more prominent color. A nice finger size creamy, yet frothy head rises and lasts for a few minutes. A creamy surface of head seems to reside for a long time. Spotty, yet slightly watery-semi quick sliding lace around the glass.

Aroma has a bite! Floral, bitter hops, malty, boozy...sweet notes within. Some wheat notes also are present.

Started beer at fridge tempurature. Started drinking it at this temp, but majority is drank while closer to cellar tamp. Flavor has an initial hop bitterness-very sharp flavor and texture. Booze is not hidden...can really feel and taste the ABV. High carbonation, crisp/sharp/semi complex mouthfeel. Flavors of sweet fruits, mixed with the sharp hoppiness...really create a nice complexity and characteristics. A very solid barleywine...not the best...but very tastey!

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to Dan for sending me this long time want.
I split the bottle with an Englishman who never tried a American barleywine before. A direct quote "Wow this is a hoppy one" LOL

Poured into snifters it produced a wonderful two finger tan head that laced out wonderfully. The body was a beautiful reddish brown in color. The aromas were very much hop forward with a slight touch of malts in the end. The flavor was very much like the nose in so much that it was hop forward but the malts and the coco nibs came thru a little more pronounced. The alcohol did present it self in the mix as well. It had a medium feel to it with ample carbonation

I easily finished this brew and then enjoyed a fine cigar to top it off I think the one glass was fine I would have had another it did drink well that way but two tops would be enough in one sitting for me.
I am glad I have one to age I think this beast will be totally changed with some age if I can wait that long

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours dark brown, with reddish tones. Crystal clear. About 1" thick off-white head with slight retention and moderate lacing.

First smell is citrusy hops, a little caramel malt. Almost like toffey, but with some alcohol behind it.

Tastes more piney than citrus. Decent malts in the background. Alcohol is pretty evident in the background.

Excellent mouthfeel, low carbonation. Drinkability is good, probably could only have 2 in one night. There's a pretty good kick to it.

I don't think it's accurate to call this one a barleywine. It's more like a strong ale with lots of hops. It's really a good beer. I like it better than Nugget Nectar.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

A - Dark ruby brown with a 1-inch tan sudsy head that has great retention and decent lacing.

S - A quick shot of pine resin hops, then dominated by citrus/grapefruit hops. A strong roasted character becomes more apparent as it warms.

T - Wow, fairly different from what I was expecting from the nose. A big roasted malt presence at the front, with some chocolate. Finishes with a strong resiny hop finish. Becomes more complex while it warms with roasted coffee flavors, bitter dark chocolate, and a touch of booze.

M - Full bodied, low carbonation, creamy smoothness across the palate with an astringent hop finish and booze lingering in the aftertaste.

D - Everything seems right in place for this offering by Troegs. So many different, well balanced aromas and tastes. Like other reviews before me, I wish I had bought more than one bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

650ml bottle. The only reference to Mouflan I could find besides this beer was a wild Asian sheep with black hair and curved horns on the males. Troegs says the name "Flying Mouflan" will become clear when you reach the bottom of the glass!!!??? Troegs classifies Flying Mouflan as "pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff". Couldn't read the date, but I'm thinking it's the 2010 release.

Pours a beautiful mahogany. 3 1/2 finger light tan yeasty looking head with big bubbles (hard pour). Plenty of lacing.

Wonderful fresh citrusy hop and sweet malt aroma Not quite metallic. Fresh like laundry that's been dried on the line. Fresh like a breath of fresh air.

More citrusy and flowery hops on the tongue with bittersweet chocolate and dark fruits to round it out. Excellent balance throughout.

Medium mouthfeel. Lightly syrupy character with some warming in the throat.

It took me a while to drink this, but I'm giving it high marks for drinkability. Combining this mouthfeel with such a huge taste and wonderful aroma makes this beer one to savor.

I like this better than Nugget Nectar.

Oh yeah, one final word: I'm flying, and I'm a sheep.

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown (ruby red if some light gets through) with a nice foamy, two finger head that laces quite nicely.

Smell: Nice balance of hops and malt on the nose. Candied fruit, sugar, toffee.

Taste: Malty then the hops hit, then the malt comes back on the aftertaste. Very bready, with caramel, candied fruits, and brown sugar. The alcohol is hidden nicely. Very very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: Right now I wish I bought more then the 2 bottles I bought. Will be buying more to drink now and to age.

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark amber/red color with a white head. The aroma is caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. Just an awesome aroma. The flavor is more of the same with figs, raisins, molasses, caramel and brown sugar. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

A-pours a dark copper with an inch or so or lighter tan head
S-a nice citrusy hop aroma with a nice amount of sweet malt and alcohol in the background
T-an amazing mix of citrus hops and bready sweet malt taste an amazingly complex blend of malt and hops with notes of citrus and sweet breadyness
M-nice full body with no carbonation even with the hops this beer is amazingly smooth
D-awesomely drinkable at 9.3 it is remarkably smooth with a huge amount of hops. malt and booze to make any beer drinker happy

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

From a bomber, bottled on date is 4/7/2010. Just 10 days old! Was urged by a fellow at the brewery to drink it as soon as possible so I can enjoy the hops.

A: Beautiful mahogony with a soapy white one-finger head when looked at straight on, sunset amber when looked at from the bottom of my Piraat glass.

S: Smells like a keyed-up Nugget Nectar as promised... with that usual tingly Barleywine note reminding you that you're going to feel a lot more sociable by the end of the bottle.

T: The taste is out of control. Since this is so fresh, the juicy hop flavors are turned up to 11, followed by the taste of prune, licorice, and chocolate. By far the best balance of flavors I've ever had in an American Barleywine - it's worth noting that with so much going on, it's still lacking in astringency or alcohol burn that a lot of lesser beers of this style suffer from. Perfect.

M: The head lingers on, so there's a nice tingle going on throughout. I drank Appalachian Brewing Co's Barleywine yesterday and was put off by how syrupy it was - this is the antithesis of that. Light, fizzy, and...

D: ...Very, very drinkable. Yet another pitch-perfect beer from Tröegs.

If you find this, don't make the mistake I made only buying one bottle. Hell, buy a case and age some of it. It's worth it.

Just posted my video review for this amazing beer. This beer will be the game changer for Troegs.

A- Dark mahogany with the smallest tint of a red to it. Egg shell head with excellent lacing.

S - Amazing citrus and spicy hop characters overwhelm the senses.

T - Wow! Sweet malts perfectly matched with the amazing hops in this one. Little bitterness and the alcohol is only slightly present.

D - If this beer wasnt almost a 10% beer this would be a great drinker. Oh hell..its a great drinker no matter what!

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

My glass is graced with a fine veneer of red iron. It is an icy tone, with a light burgundy gloss when held to the light, a fine looking gemstone, something worthy of the Smithsonian. Its bubbles cascade in reverse and entrance like a James Brown dance routine. The head is tight-fitted and discolored, it looks like something recently unearthed from the attic.

The aroma exhumes a sap so luscious and ambrosial it was presumably pulled from the tree of life itself, a nectar so exquisite and honeyed it must have taken the toil of angels to be conceived. This aroma harbors all the deliciousness of the spectrum: a touch of leafy greenness, a vivid and sharp citrus and the most succulent caramel.

I love the name. 'Flying Mouflan' sounds like the name of an eccentric magician or Eastern European trapeze act; it turns out to actually be a little bit of both. Like the clowns that all file out the tiny car, this bottle is jammed with so much maltiness and so much hoppiness it's freakish! As for how they made the alcohol disappear, that's a trick I've yet to figure out.

The brewers promise that patience will be rewarded with luscious malts and mellowed hops - they could not have been more right. With about a year's age under it, this couldn't offer a more divine set of flavours: caramel coated figs, gourmet tootsie rolls, hazelnut, chocolate brownies sprinkled in chopped peanuts and fine Swiss chocolate.

That's not to mention the pithy plump citrus and the resiny bitters, the pineapple chunks and coconut shavings. This has all the intensity and flavour of an aged port but without the residual sugariness. The flavours are sweet, to be sure, but on the palate the beer is never once cloying. In this moment, I pity wine drinkers, consider them pathetic.

When I reviewed Scratch 4 over a year ago, I lamented the fact that the recipe would never be brewed again; fortunately, the Troegs brothers came to their senses. This, to my tastes, is an epitome of American barleywine. A case of it should be locked away in a time capsule somewhere... I sure hope we'll continue to see this long into the future.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

My pallet has grown since my last encounter with the Mouflan and this year I bought extra bottles to age. I can only hop(e) that I will be able to keep from cracking a bottle or two. This ale is a dark amber that has sticky lacing with porter like head. Smells of chocolate, hops, raisins and alcohol. The sweet aromas allude to the tastes of dark chocolate and a sticky sweet finish. Hops and bitter chocolate fight for dominance. The bitterness is very present giving the idea that the finest chocolate chefs of Switzerland only dream to craft. I notice the slight booze warmth as I sip but the candy like hops with their resins coat the pallet and hide its presents. If Chris and John Trogner were to start creating beer of this and Nugget Nectars caliber and throw in the Splinter Gold all year round, they would be the most hyped brewery on this forum. The fact the ABV is so high the drinkablity cries to share a bomber or two with a good pal.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

Scarlet plum appearance, murky brown half finger head diminished to an errant beige wispy, cloudy surface. Slow steady small bubble carbonation, ring and some lace. Excellent regeneration. Very pleasant sweet caramel nose. Taste is huge with candied caramel apple, English toffee, sweet yet dry with bakers' chocolate tones, high bitterness, especially in the aftertaste. High alcohol weighs in, there is nothing subtle about this beer, it's a barleywine lovers delight.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

This bottle was the 2009 version poured into my trusty Weeping Radish brewery pint glass. A great barleywine. I'm almost sorry I didn't drink it fresh because so many reviewers talked to the hoppiness. A a one-year aged barleywine, it is still very nice. Poured a dense dark brown color into the pint glass. When held up to sunlight, it showed itself as a very hazy iced tea brown. By the room light..nothing except a bit of light at the bottom of the glass. Light tan head, medium size. Retention was a long-lasting light covering of the glass. Some lacing.

Smell was good. Dark fruit, caramel malt, and sugar, fairly pronounced.

Tasted very good. All the flavors indicated by the smell were there followed by a nice balancing hop bitterness.

Good mouthfeel. Rich, creamy no alcohol burn. The balance between malts and hops made it appear fairly crisp.

Drinkability is good for a barleywine. I set out to do the bomber by myself and it is going down very nicely!!!

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

Another in the string of surprises that made up the Winking Lizard's 2nd Annual Cask Conditioned Beer Fest. This was the 2010 version, first time that vintage has been served and the second cask ever of the Mouflan.

Nice white head sticks around for the duration. Amber body looks great - nice red and orange highlights.

Tons of citrus in the nose. A bit of caramel too and a smooth base, but the hops shine here. I get the imperial Nugget Nectar comments about this one.

Taste is wonderful. Not like other barleywines in that there really isn't too much typical barleywine (aka caramelized malt) flavor. There is some caramel flavor, but there's also chocolate and dark fruit. The hops are currently stealing the show though - getting a ton of grapefruit & citrus. With a year or two on this, the subtleties will start to emerge. In it's raw state it's good, with a year or two it may be perfect - I'll have to open the 2009 bottle in my cellar soon.

Mouthfeel was great for a cask beer. Lively and the flavors pop.

Drinkability was good. Overall another great beer from Troegs and one of the stars of the fest IMO.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle (no date visible, but I know I bought this in spring of '09...so about a year old). Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a slightly yeasty dark brown color with very little light getting through it. A 1/2 finger of tan foam sits briefly on top before falling to a low collar with sparse islands of bubbles on the surface.

S - Very sweet smelling barleywine, tons of caramel and sugar up front with layers of bread, yeast and molasses. Hop presence is not noticeable in the aroma.

T - Lots of nice malty flavors in here. Caramel and molasses are strong up front with sugary sweetness mixed in. Hops make much more of an impression in the flavor profile. Good amount of bitterness that perfectly offsets the malt giving a great balance without any cloying qualities from the large malt presence. Definitely has lost some of its hop bite over the year of aging, but it has become a much more balanced barleywine in the process.

M - Feels pretty thick and sugary in the mouth. An almost syrupy sensation as it coats the mouth in sweetness and then is layered on top with bitter hops. Carbonation is on the low side, but not extremely low...still gives a nice tingle but not overly done...works really well with this barleywine.

D - Had several of these last year when they first came out and was really impressed. The hops were so nice when it was fresh - definitely just an amped up Nugget Nectar (how can you go wrong with that???). After a year, the hops have mellowed quite a bit and has arguably made this a better barleywine. Fresh it was closer to an imperial IPA, now - definitely a barleywine...and a good one! Drinking really well right now...maybe another 6 months or so will tame the hops a bit more and make this absolutely perfectly balanced. Great beer fresh or aged, but at this point in time, aged is your only option (unless they make it again).

Tröegs Flying Mouflan from Tröegs Brewing Company