Tröegs Java Head Stout - Tröegs Brewing Company

good

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Deuane on 08-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Java Head Stout Alström Bros
ckollias

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: This brew pours a dark, almost pitch-black color with mild amber highlights. Great frothy, thick, chocolate brown, 2-finger, head that lasts forever and leaves a beautiful trail all the way down the glass.

S: Chocolate and coffee bean aroma fills the nose with every whiff. Great roasted malt background.

T: Smooooth stout with a mild sweetness. Flavors of Chocolate, Coffee, and cocoa powder cross the palate. Great roasted toffee malt backbone. Alcohol is present but almost undetectable secondary to the great taste of this brew.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Great Stout – although coffee portion was pretty weak. Could have been better, but all around it was very good. Troegs is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries.

09-09-2011 03:14:24 | More by ckollias
jcartamdg

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours jet black with a white two finger head into my bruery tulip. Aroma is weak, malts and feint coffee. Taste follows the nose, very light, like drinking a Guinness with a dash of coffee. Smooth and easy to drink, hides the alcohol well. Not bad if your looking for a light tasting stout, just not what I was looking for.

09-06-2011 01:24:32 | More by jcartamdg
tjkinate

Nebraska

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

This is truly the first underrated beer I have had since reviewing on BA. I thought this stout is up there with the best I have ever had.

Poured slowly from a 12oz bottle into a Stone RIS snifter which produced a deep, ashy brown one finger head. The head diminished slowly, leaving ample lacing in its absence. The actual body is a deep brown and like most stouts, allowed no light through.

Strong smells of malts, caramel, and cocoa. Each smell was easy to identify and differentiate.

Taste was not only fantastic, but unique and complex. I detected coffee, cocoa, citrus, and floral hops. This truly is the first beer that I could taste each ingredient added (per the info listed on the side of the bottle.)

Medium/heavy in the mouth that coats thoroughly, low carbonation.

Overall I found it to be fantastic and will definitely be trying this again in the future. Maybe I got a great batch, if so, I'm glad I did.

09-05-2011 23:48:53 | More by tjkinate
GregSVT

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours dark brown with a nice brown head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is very faint with notes of cocoa, vanilla, and a slight hint of coffee.

T: The taste has some vanilla and chocolate malts along with a hint of watery coffee. Nothing like I was expecting but it's not entirely undrinkable.

M: The feel is creamy and medium bodied.

O: I wanted to like this one but it was just not as good as others in the style. I'd take Wake N Bake over this any day but I like my coffee stouts to be big and in your face. This is more like a hint of coffee.

09-05-2011 06:27:14 | More by GregSVT
stephenjmoore

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Dark with a Tan head; moderate lacing with a 1/2 inch head.

S - Malt and coffee, subtle notes of chocolate.

T - Coffee upfront, but it is not too strong. Malty and some chocolate. For a beer that has "java" in the name, the coffee notes are more complementary than overpowering.

M - A little thick but pretty refreshing, not much carbonation.

O - First offering I have had from Troegs and it was very enjoyable. 7.5% alcohol is hidden nicely and it is a very drinkable stout. Definitely recommended.

09-04-2011 02:29:01 | More by stephenjmoore
JMad

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

I drank this from a large wine glass...

Pours pretty much straight up black with a filmy tan head that left lots of lacing. I could smell tobacco along with citrus and green pepper on a base of coffee and black chocolate. Surprisingly I could taste a lot of citrus hop flavors followed by jalepeno, cocoa and bitter coffee. It feels very smooth, thick and creamy with low carbonation and a nice lingering finish. I would recommend trying this one to anybody, it's hoppier than most stouts and has lots of different flavors.

09-03-2011 17:17:03 | More by JMad
eclipse54

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

A 12 ounce bottle from inlimbo77; thank you!

Dark brown, almost black that glows with a rich mahogany hue around the edges when held to the light. About a half inch of thin, foamy, tan head that dissipates to patches rather quickly.

Smells much sweeter than expected, with date, plum, dark cherries, and sugar comprising the forefront. A little roastiness and caramel is detected later, but not much. Really can’t smell anything that would resemble the oatmeal or grain notes I was expecting, and only a thin coffee veil exists.

Tastes rather caramelly, playing off the fruits and sugars that were present in the nose. A bit more roasted flavor comes through, but the oats and grain are still absent, to a slight disappointment. Also, very little coffee is detectable, and even the little I find may be all in my head due to the name of this beer. Slightly misleading in my opinion.

All in all, a good beer that I enjoyed drinking, but not at all what I was expecting given the style and title.

09-02-2011 03:49:04 | More by eclipse54
jifigz

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: This is a jet black beer with a small tan head that appeared and died quickly. No lacing at all. I have had this beer several times and I also thought the head lingered quite a while longer with nice lacing, but this is much colder.

S: Roasted grains and burnt aroma. Slight fruit tones also detectable in the aroma.

T: The taste is strong on the burnt flavor and the fruit tones come quick in the forefront. Towards the end the flavor is of strongly brewed stale coffee and then some hop bitterness on the finish.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty thin and watery feeling for such a tenebrous brew. It feels just fine, but not what I was expecting.

O: This is a pretty good stout. It isn't overly complex and amazing, but it certainly isn't bad and it hits the spot. I do think the label is packing some pretty cool artwork as well.

08-30-2011 19:44:50 | More by jifigz
CaptJackHarkness

2.1/5  rDev -44.3%

I usualy like an Oatmeal Stout, but this tasted of burnt grains and old Starbucks french roast coffee! I didn't even notice anything about the hops!! The Brewmaster's here may still have a good idea though, try differing coffee's in the mix or less coffee.

I'm also not a fan of these new caffenated alchohol drinks I see in 7-11, they just encourage wide awake drunks!

08-21-2011 01:24:13 | More by CaptJackHarkness
gestyr

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker pint

A: Pours black with tints of red when held to the light. Head is a fluffy beige and lasts a long time leaving lacing

S: Malt, roast barley and coffee

T: Coffee up front with a malty backbone and a roasted bitterness afterwards

M: Thick and creamy. No carbonation bite

O: A nice stout. It goes down smooth on a warm summer night.

08-10-2011 23:54:35 | More by gestyr
jman892

3.58/5  rDev -5%

A - Pours black, with a big, fluffy, slow-fading, mocha colored head, very nice lacing

S - Nose of burnt malt, with some ash. Not picking up a ton of coffee

T - Coffee is present right up front, very coffee forward, and it is a bitter coffee. Has a smoky, ash character. Fainest amount of dark chocolate

M - Medium body, mildly creamy, nice mouthfeel. Quite smooth

O - This beer is so much better as it warms. Upfront the coffee bitterness dominates. As it warms it softens a bit, the creamy mouthfeel becomes more pronounced. Nice.

08-04-2011 16:02:10 | More by jman892
Vierenner

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

This beer proved to me, once again, that a bomber priced less than $9.99 is likely to be unsatisfying. Not exactly sure why but that's the conclusion I've reached.
This beer has decent flavor but lacks the fullness that I've come to expect from a stout. There are roasted, coffee, and smokey flavors but they all kind of hover in the background while the body of the beer lies dead.
If you're looking for a rich, satisfying stout ... pass on this one.

08-04-2011 01:16:22 | More by Vierenner
teacrimes

Troegs Brothers Java Head

Poured at about 50F from a 22oz.

Appearance- A thick cocoa head a finger thick caps my Ommegang goblet. This is a black beer.
Nose- Berry and apple fruitiness and a stout-malt-burnt-smell mingle freely with a light coffee tone and some soft cocoa elements.
Taste -Coffee is lost as a slightly sweet stout with moderate bitterness slides through a stage of malty roast and buttery cocoa. Gentle warming alcohol is present, but plays out before the palate finishes with a mild, creamy flavor of dark grains with American hops floating gently on top.
Mouth- On the light side for an American stout of this size. Doesn’t overwhelm with malty texture but still provides a rich, creamy experience.
Overall- Not a masterpiece, but a fine sipper that won’t bore you or weigh you down. It would have been nice for the coffee to come out a bit more.

08-01-2011 22:43:30 | More by teacrimes
bpw28

Look: Finger Mocha head, black bark (about 39 SRM), great lacing.

Smell: Massive Coffee, dark cocoa, burnt sugar, woody smoke, earthy, good roasted malt

Taste: Coffee (of course), cocoa, caramel, smoky, woody, sweet, cream, slight funk (a good kind), coffee bitterness on the end.

Final Thoughts: A very nice stout. It was a pleasure to drink in the evening.

07-26-2011 15:54:20 | More by bpw28
silentjay

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

pours a not-quite-black deep brown like that of brewed coffee with a chocolate milk colored head that rises to a few fingers, sticks around a bit, and laces averagely.

sweetened coffee, cocoa, vanilla, caramel. not too far off from stale coffee that has been left out several days. some hops on the back end as well adding some slight citrus.

starts sweet, goes roasty, ends a bit watery. cocoa, weak coffee, dark caramel. some woody and citric hops on the finish.

very watery for the style, strength, and flavor profile with a medium body, light carbonation, and slightly sweet/roasty finish that doesn't linger long.

good, but needs a bit of depth. not as chewy as I'd like in a coffee stout, but pretty tasty.

07-24-2011 04:29:44 | More by silentjay
Hoagie1973

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Black with a medium brown head that stays and sticks pretty well.

Nose has a Porter-like quality to it. Molasses and roasted malt, but none of the expected black coffee.

Flavor is malty and roasty with a decent bitter hop finish. Coffee flavor is so subtle that if I was handed a glass of this without knowing what it was, I wouldn't suspect that it was supposed to be a Coffee Stout; just a dark roasted stout. Nor would I know it was an Oatmeal Stout as it lacks the usual nuttiness that oats impart. In that regard the beer fails, but it's not a bad beer by any means, it's actually quite good, just not what is advertised on the label.

Mouthfeel is full, smooth and a little creamy.

Overall as I've already stated it's a good stout, but not a good Coffee or Oatmeal Stout.

07-19-2011 14:14:20 | More by Hoagie1973
cmq103

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a Nutbrown Ale Schooner glass.

Appearance: A very dark brown beer with a decent tan 1/4" head, which faded slowly. Decent lacing as my glass emptied.

Smell: Not as aromatic as I expected for the style. With a deep inhale, I detected expresso coffee, roasted malt and caramel, finishing with mild dark chocolate.

Taste: Coffee, coffee, coffee!! If I closed my eyes, I would guess I'm drinking a cold, mildly sweet cup of black coffee. Minimal sweetness, which is a plus in my book, finishing with just a mild hop bitterness bite. Perfect "just right" carbonation for the style.

Mouthfeel: Not a thick and chewy beer at all, thinner than I expected for a stout. With a smooth and creamy character, this beer rolls off the tongue with ease while awakening your taste buds.

Overall: One of the best yet from Troegs, as they combine two of my favorite beverages: coffee and beer. I can see myself having a few of these in one sitting, though not your typical session beer at 7.5% ABV. When I want a coffee stout style beer, I know where to go...

07-11-2011 23:11:22 | More by cmq103
swierczt

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Jet black in color with nearly no head present. Settles very quickly with no lacing. This one is a very tame pour.

S – Dark roasted malts and coffee are most abundant in the aroma. However, there is a bit of a floral sweetness that comes though as well.

T – Nutty dark roasted malts hit you up front along with an abundance of coffee flavoring. I did not taste any of the subtle floral notes that I had picked up in the nose. The bitterness from coffee lingers on your palate for a bit before completely fading. A nice balance between the sweetness from roasted malts and the coffee bitterness.

M – Very light in body. Borderline watery. IMHO, a heavier mouthfeel would be more desirable in this offering. Only a small amount of carbonation.

O – Overall, I liked the coffee flavor in this brew and that it was not cloyingly sweet. On the downside, it was a bit watery in mouthfeel. Just above a middle of the road rating on this offering for me. Glad I had the opportunity to try, but would not make this a regular.

07-11-2011 18:07:37 | More by swierczt
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Purchased from New Beer Distributors in New York.

Pours a dark red-black, with a surprisingly light body, and a surprisingly tame head of mocha-brown, which just forms a bubbly film on the top of the glass. Minimal lacing, and the lack of body disappoints me a little bit. Was expecting more from a beer weighing in at 7.5%.

Nose is pleasantly toasty and rich, with a biting coffee fragrance through the centre, which actually seems to isolate itself from the rest of the flavours. Pleasant sweetness, however, giving touches of musk to counterpoint the coffee. Nice.

Taste is smooth and roasty, with coffee characters coming through nicely, but the body is woeful. Extremely thin and watery, without any depth of thickness to cushion the stout flavours. Still, the coffee flavours are done nicely, and matched against the roasted malts—in particular, the dry coffee afterpalate is moreish and savoury.

There's things to like, and things to dislike about this one. It's got some lovely flavours, and the coffee is worked in very nicely with the rest. But there's no basis for it, and the 7.5% is high for a beer with so little body. You feel it after a while, and you wonder why you should.

07-10-2011 23:49:26 | More by lacqueredmouse
MammothBrew

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

A huge thank you goes out to kadonny. This is my first Troegs and am quite pleased.

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz.

A: Pours a dark, almost burned coffee color. A frothy, murky brown head that measures almost two fingers. Good retention as well.

S: Cocoa, caramel, roasted malt

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, with a tad caramel flavor.

M: Medium body with perfect carbonation for this style. Very smooth and creamy.

O: I wish this was available here. This is a smooth drinker and pleasantly sweet, not sugarbomb sweet though. I'm really liking Troegs so far..

06-30-2011 04:44:44 | More by MammothBrew
scottyshades

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Big thanks to bobertkuekn for this extra in our trade! I'm always looking forward to trying more Troegs beers

A: Pours a super dark brown, almost black color. There is not much head to speak of, just some thin whispy bubbles here and there

S: Lots of molasses, brown sugar, dark chocolate and obviously coffee. The hops are a little sublte with a slight citrus aroma at the end

T: Bitter chocolate, dry, burnt molasses, coffee. Hops start to come through eventually with some good bitterness, citrus, and a vegetal aspect

MF: Chalky dry mouthfeel to it, bitter chocolate and coffee finish. A little rough, but pretty good

O: Overall an enjoyable beer, not as refined or as smooth as some of the best in the style

06-30-2011 02:42:03 | More by scottyshades
eat

Quebec (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -5%

My first chance to try Troegs. Opaque, black body topped with a good cover of beige head. Decent retention and lacing.

Lots of sweet caramel, pine and earthy hops, lightly-roasted malt, lactic, touch of grapefruit. Pretty nice but I can't say I'm picking up much coffee oddly enough. I might have guessed this to be a milk stout judging from the nose. Very malty and lactic.

I'm somewhat let down by the flavour; I'd say it's definitely lacking in intensity (especially at 7.5% ABV). The amount of flavour here is what I'd expect from a stout of a less than average ABV, more like 4.5%. On the bright side, I suppose, for all I can taste of the alcohol this could actually be a beer of 4.5% ABV. Very smooth. Light roast malt with noticeable coffee, though it's still quite underrepresented. Not nearly as sweet as the nose would have you expect, with its subdued caramel sweetness mostly covered with earthy hops and a somewhat drying finish tasting lightly of cocoa and grapefruit pith.

For a stout of this weight the feel is too thin. Medium-thin body and slightly over-carbonated IMO.

This almost comes off more as a porter than a stout. For 7.5% ABV it's drinkability is definitely high and there are no real glaring flaws. Maybe the Troegs brothers intended to brew a very smooth and lightly flavoured 7.5% coffee stout, in which case I would say this is well done. For my taste, however, I would prefer something advertising itself as 'Java Head' to present more coffee flavour and for a 7.5% stout to be more intensely flavoured overall. A decent brew but not one I would be interested in revisiting.

06-29-2011 03:32:54 | More by eat
MONKandTUCK

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Enjoyed at the Troeg's tasting room in Harrisburg. Interestingly, this beer's base malts are Continental. No Pale Malt reportedly used.

A - Pours opaque and "wet" into a small snifter. Looks like pen ink w/ the thin white film on top. Really missing the head on this one, and begin to detect a thinner body that I'm used to from this style w/ this ABV.

A - Roasted malt. Some baking cocoa, some indiscernible coffee. Some vanilla and hops.

T- cold coffee, a little bitter-sweet chocolate mixing twang w/ sweet. Kinda roasty bite in the finish, but not over-bearing. Not especially complex, but no chance in questioning this is a coffee-porter/stout. Balanced. Some oat shines, though, but it doesn't stand out the way the other features do. base malts come through, too, if you know what you're looking for.

Suitable hopping, though more bitter than initial sips let on.

The oatmeal was wasted.

M- Too thin. I'm sure this has it's time and place, but I'd prefer they provided this thin mouthfeel for a Porter. Hell, even do a big RIS with thinner than average mouthfeel. It just seems out of place here. It doesn't help the drinkability at all because you are forced to notice how one-dimensional this beer is before finishing with that roasted bite.

O- Not mind-blowing, but a serviceable beer. They were probably aiming at satisfying those who find Stouts too heavy and too roasty. If I want coffee, I know where to get good Colombian and Sumatran roasts, I won't look for it in beer.

If you are unfamiliar w/ Porters and Stouts, it doesn't hurt to start here; you might find yourself a new favorite beer. However, if you've tasted big leaguers: Fullers, SN, Founders, Youngs, Anchor or Rogue, you very well may be quite disappointed.

06-28-2011 03:58:07 | More by MONKandTUCK
Stinkypuss

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Troegs Javahead Stout

Poured ontap into a pint glass, dark brown in color with a khaki colored head. Aroma of roasted malt and a bit of coffee. In the flavor, a nice roasted presence with some mild dark roast coffee presence. A kiss of earthy hops is noted in the finish. Medium to full bodied feel. Overall, a nice roasted presence, some coffee and hops mix well. A pretty decent stout.

06-27-2011 23:23:47 | More by Stinkypuss
ferrari29

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Beer served in a Snifter shaped glass at Churchkey (DC)

A - Beer was served with less than one finger sized coffee colored head; dissipated rather quickly and didn't hold well; beer had a dark brown silky body

S - High alcohol notes come up rather quickly; soft roasted malt nose; some chocolate; hints dark fruit like dry fig or dates

T - Smokey malt back-end; semi-sweet dark chocolate notes upfront; deep coffee taste

M - Silky smooth; some bitter chocolate aftertaste; mildly effervescent; full body feel

D - Great drink to top off the evening; nice burnt coffee and taste and smell; great combination of conventional stout flavors

06-27-2011 01:45:45 | More by ferrari29