Tröegs Java Head Stout - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Deuane on 08-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Java Head Stout Alström Bros
3.97/5  rDev +5%

Had this on tap at Bodega.

Honestly this is probably the best coffee stout I have had to date that wasn't Founders (that has fairly regular production).

Nice dark stout, light bodied and thinner but not watery at all. Had a light sandy head, fairly delicate and fluffy for such a robust beer.

Smells of freshly ground coffee beans. It is thick and pungent, overpowering the sweeter caramel and chocolate malts. I prefer it that way...

Nice roasted coffee flavor. I was actually very impressed here. For some reason I was expecting less body and flavor out of this beer. Sweet dark chocolate rounds out the roasty and slightly bitter coffee profile.

Medium carbonation, enough to facilitate better aroma and depth on the palate without becoming a nuisance.

I will always take a breakfast stout over this, but I would be very happy as this beer for my second or third choice.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

22 ounce bottle. Pours deep brown with a once finger tan head with good retention that recedes to a thick cap. Great glass lacing. Aromas of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, and some vanilla. Taste of some chocolate and coffee, lots of malts. A slightly bitter finish, but not that strong. Creamy body, but it comes out a bit thin feeling. Solid stout, pretty good.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz single, thoughtfully shipped northwest by borat.

appearance: served in a guinness pint, ebony body, creamy tan head with webby lacing. the standard stout

smell: roasty, char, espresso, licorice, bakers chocolate, compliment of earthy hops

taste: dry and roasty - dark bakers chocolate, burnt espresso, licorice, char and dark roast. not in the upper echelon of "coffee stouts" but a nice oatmeal stout with coffee notes nonetheless

mouthfeel: dry, medium body, light bitterness

drinkability: on par

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a dimpled mug.

Pours a deep, dark black. When held up to the light, it's not 100% opaque. There's a reddish mahogany hue to the edges. There's a light brown head that recedes to some solid lacing.

The smell is overhelmingly coffee with some hops aroma a well. The coffee smells dark, musty and earthy.

The taste also features dark coffee as well as dark chocolate, roasted malts and some piney hops.

The mouthfeel should be fuller for an oatmeal stout. Each sip started out strong, but it felt like there wasn't enough body to sustain each mouthful.

At 7.5%, it's not exactly a session beer. But, the drinkability is pretty standard. It's a nice oatmeal stout, but not top of the line.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Enjoyed at one of my local establishments. Reviewed from my trusty napkin notes. I know it's awkward, but I can't always have a notebook handy, I'm also saving paper...

A- A deep black color that is not completely dark there are some reddish brown/mahogany glimpses that allow in a little light. Has a thin brown head that works well with the dark color of this one. Another scratch beer upgraded to a year round, thank you Troegner brothers.

S- My, my, my a nice simple coffee bitterness with some burnt roasty malt notes. Very enjoyable to smell and as it warms the roastiness comes out a little more and has brought a licorice sweetness to the nose. Very pleasant smelling beer that I can't wait to taste.

T- Right away a great helping of bitter coffee flavor. Not too overpowering has a bit of a sweetness and almost a lactose sweetness. The burnt roasty malt flavors stay in great balance with the very subtle hoppiness hiding in the background. Throughout the sipping I can pick up a little bit of the licorice burn and sweetness that make it very enjoyable.

M- Not watery, but a little thinner than I would've liked. It's not as hearty and full bodied as I would have liked, but it has some nice coating and chewiness, just not as much as I would like. The carb plays out well in the mouth and I enjoy the tiny little tingle as I finish my glass.

D- Definitely enjoyable, but not as drinkable as I would have liked it to be. The bitterness of the coffee would become too overwhelming and the thinner than expected body would wear out it's welcome. Though it is a coffee stout and I can't argue you with that. Thanks again Troegs brothers.

Definitely an enjoyable stout, but I would have rather seen them resurrect the oatmeal stout or converted scratch 27 into a year round stout. Please John bring back scratch 27 or the oatmeal stout!

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

I picked up a 12 ounce bottle at Yankee Spirits in Swansea MA.

Appearance is a black color with a 1 finger mocha head.
The smell is a mix of coffee, chocolate, some other scents.
Taste for Java Head contains java, more chocolate, malts, some spices such as cinnamon, very rich overall. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is very good on this coffee stout from Troegs. Its been some time since I have tried something from Troegs and I am happy to finally get around to this one. This is one beer that is very much worth your time.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer pours an opaque black color with some dark brown hues visible around the edges when held up to the light. Head is golden brown and quickly faded to a thin lacing. Some decent stick though.

Smell is filled with the typical roasted aroma associated with most stouts. I would have to say that the coffee smell is more intensified in this beer as compared to other stouts. Overall, the aroma is still on the mellow side.

Very satisfying flavors of roasted barley, coffee, and a slight hop bitterness. Smooth finish with a mild yet lingering bitterness.

Medium bodied.

I could drink a few of these no problem. Very smooth and a delight to sip on. The 7.5 is unnoticeable.

Morey's Bottom Line: One of Troeg's only offerings that I had yet to have. Glad I did. Never had their Oatmeal Stout, but this is very good.

3.41/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Pours a thin brown black with little tan head that fades quickly and leaves a slight lacing.

S: Faint smells of chocolate, coffee and roasted malts. Not a very strong smell a coffee flavored stout.

T: Stong tastes of coffee beans and semisweet chocolate right off the bat. The flavor fads away and leaves a nice bitterish aftertaste.

M: Pretty thin beer. I was hoping for a little more chew from a stout, so I was a little disapointed.

D: It's a drinkable beer. Pretty easy drinking for a stout. Not amazing but definitly drinkable.

Overall: Overall the beer was decent. Not much smell or chew, but the flavor was decent. It delivers on the coffee taste that it advertises. There are definitly better stouts out there, but this is worth a try for any coffee flavored stout lovers.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The bottling date is smudged, but I think it says 10/29/10.

A: Black body with dark reddish-brown highlights. Head isn't very vigorous, but it leaves decent lacing.

S: Coffee, dark fruits, licorice.

T: Lots of coffee, obviously. Strikes me as slightly minty. Some licorice. The coffee gives it an astringent character, but there is a good amount of underlying sweetness.

M: On the thin side of medium-bodied.

T: I wouldn't classify this as an exemplar of the style, but if you like coffee stouts, this will certainly do the job.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Troegs Java Head Stout...on tap at the Troegs Brewing Company in Harrisburg, PA.

Appearance-jet black with a large sized tan head, creamy and crackling bubbles everywhere, my god this is black. Deep layered body.

Smell-roasted coffee malts, very pungent, another sniff give traces of chocolate syrup, hop spice, crystal malt. Strong.

Taste/Mouthfeel-bready initially, nice strong coffee flavor mixed with fruit and chocolate for an almost mocha mix. Medium to heavy mouthfeel, nice smoothness. Finishes strong with a last note of coffee.

Drinkability-no issues, hides alcohol very well.

Overall-great example of an Oatmeal Stout, one of the top out there. Plenty of coffee, lives up to the name. Very well done.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly with a little lacing. Pitch black in color.

S - Awesome! Coffee and dark bitter chocolate. Oddly enough I get a hint of cherries as well.

T - Taste mirrors the aroma. Bitter chocolates are a little more prominent than coffee but both are there in large quantities. Not a whole lot of flavors coming through these aggressive (but good) flavors.

M - Seems highly carbonated for a stout but it works. Great medium body. The aggressive coffee and chocolate flavors linger for a while, making you want to go back for more.

D - With the strong flavors and heavier body, this isn't a session beer. It's a great after work or desert beer though.

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

More undated notes, but probably not written long after my initial, bottle review.

This was presented to me a finger of deep-brown head with great retention that eventually settled into some great lacing. Color was an inky ebony. Period. No light penetration whatsoever! Nose was like my morning cuppa joe - roasty and strong! A fellow Mug Club member (at IHLNC) and I were talking and as former servicemen, we prefer our coffee smokin' when it is finished brewing. My students often remark on how the room smells of coffee when they first enter in the morning. Man, there are days when I am hard-wired for sound by the time that I am done. How does Woody take his coffee? Hot and black, just like his women! Ha, thanks, Moe. Mouthfeel was silky and smooth with a roasty bitterness on the tongue. Forget cream! Finish was as bitter as a nasty divorce. More, please.

Another go-'round with this on cask, this time dated F, 30 July 2010.

Arrived with two fingers of dense deep-tan head with excellent retention, right from the handpump. Color was a deep dark-brown with zero light penetration except at the edges. Nose had qualities of dark chocolate, coffee, and charcoal. Mouthfeel was full and creamy with a pronounced dark-roast coffee taste on the tongue. Finish lingered with anise, bittersweet chocolate and charcoal. Very dry and would be an excellent accompaniment with dessert. Nice lacing throughout.

3.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bomber poured into my Penn State shaker pint, hoping to start Thanksgiving 2010 off on the right note. This bottle has been in my possession for a few months now, but I don't expect that to be detrimental on a big Stout like this.

A: Pours a thick frothy black with a nice brown head on the top. Looks like the quintessential stout in my glass.

S: I pick up roasted malts and distinctive java/coffee in the nose.

T: The Java is present. The roasted malts hit you initially, but then take a backseat to the Java, only to reappear as I exhale. My only knock here is that I think they may have overdone it a bit on the Java. This beer has lots of flavor, and that's what I want in my craft beer... just a little less Java and a little more "stout" would be ideal, IMO.

Also noting that "alcohol burn" is minimal here, something that often plagues my palate when dealing with "bigger" stouts.

M: Full-bodied and frothy in the mouth, it falls apart very enjoyable as I roll it around my tongue. I'm diggin' this guy.

D: The "minimal alcohol burn" that I noted above helps here, but Oatmeal/Java stout just doesn't fit my personal bias's. I often like to have one and then move on to something a little hoppier. I could and WOULD happily have another of these if in a setting where there were no other options. But I'm looking forward to my parents getting here and helping me out with the rest of this bomber so I can *move on* with Turkey Day.

Another fine offering from the Troegs Brewing Company. And I'll raise my glass in hopes that the lowly Detroit Lions can find a way to knock off those nasty Pats while I enjoy this brew.

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

fresh growler from spirits in point beach poured into large snifter glass

Pours a midnight black with a giant frothed coffee brown head. Retains a solid layer of film while leaving curtains of tanned lacing on the glass.

Scents of roasted dark malt, toasted oats, hazelnut, a touch of sweetness, and some surprisingly light coffee.

Dark malt with a hint of caramel, and plenty of oatmeal right up front. The coffee comes to the forefront quickly, with some nice whole bean flavor and underlying sweetness. A bit of hop bitterness is also apparent. Finishes crisp with a touch of warmth and another splash of coffee nuttiness.

Medium bodied, but a little thin considering the style. A bit of chewyness and dry edges in the feel. Smooth, easy drinking, and goes down pretty quick considering the abv, which is masked very well. Another hit from Troegs.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a coffee black with a thick, firm tan head - lovely looking.

Nose is a fruity plum carmel coffee that's appealing and inviting.

Mouthfeel is medium thin but with elegant carbonation and a nice balance.

Fruity coffee flavors that are assertive and bold with a very bright, clean and bold character.

This is an excellent example of an excellent coffee stout.

4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into guiness glass... nice deep dark black with creamy brown-tan head

Smell is sweet roasted malt with nice coffee espresso finish

Taste is all sweet chocately malt with great coffee flavors backing it up. Just a touch of alcohol esters, well done.

Mouthfeel is great, just enough oat and bread presence to give it a good presence, but flavors hit well everywhere.

very drinkable for the style and flavors.

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

If you like coffee and beer the java head is a great beer for you. I have the opportunity to teast this beer at the brewery itself, in the teasting room. Was a good hardy stout but not made for drinking is mass amounts. the beer had a rich coffee smell which made it quite interesting. overall the beer was good.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

A= The pour is a solid pitch black color with a nice looking mocha colored head on it that holds some nice retention and lacing on the side of the glass. Solid looking Stout.

S= For sure coffee in there but I think I get a little bit of hops as well buried in there. There is an oatmeal playdoh smell to it a little as well. The coffee is the dominate smell but it doesn't seem as big as it should be for a java stout.

T= The taste is java for sure. Loads of coffee in this beer. Actually one of the most coffee intense beers I've ever had besides something like Coffee Bender. There is also a large hop presence to it for a stout. A deep bitterness that combines coffee and hop bitterness. The finish is what I would describe as coffee fruity.

M= Smooth as silk and light as hell. Really sort of feels like there is nothing in my mouth.
Sort of thin.
D= Delicious for coffee lovers that's for sure. This is a world class coffee stout but I don't think they do enough to make it an oatmeal stout. The oatmeal plays a secondary role and the mouth is quite thin on it.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from 22oz into tulip goblet

A- Very dark brown with a dense khaki head. Some good lacing.

S- Roasted toffee, mild overall, some zest from hops. Mild.

T- Bitter toffee, slight chocolate and coffee. Hops present. The flavors seem to blend better as warms.

M- Fills mouth. Slightly creamy texture. Pleasant. Bitterness lingers.

D- No alc, very easy to put down a bomber.

Wish it had more coffee flavored influence. A good stout.

Poured almost black into my favorite snifter. Foam disippated into a light tan ring. Moderate carbonation. Roasty toasty aroma with a hint of coffee. Quite honestly not as coffee forward as I expected. Same with the taste. Malt backbone, a hint of hops, nice and dry but only mild coffee. Mouthfeel was dry and the brew was certainly easy drinking.

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%

Served on-tap in the Troegs tasting room into a standard pint.

A - Pours pitch black with a small tan one finger head that leaves faint lacing down the entire glass.

S - Big roasty, rich, nose on this one. Chocolaty malts add a nice rich flavor to go along with all that roasty coffee. A little bit of vanilla and a slight hop bitterness are hidden but do come out a bit more once it begins to warm up.

T - Plenty of strong, roasty, flavors in this one. The chocolate malts are a great complement to all that strong coffee flavors. Espresso, chocolate, even a little vanilla help balance this one out a bit. Some hop bitterness comes thru on the finish and is a welcome addition to help break up all those rich flavors. A very nice oatmeal stout.

M - Heavy flavors with a medium feel and moderate carbonation. A little too cold at the start but much better once it warmed up a bit.

D - A very drinkable coffee stout. A nice rich, roasty, offering perfect for a cold day like this.

3.81/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle dated 9/17/10 (I think, its kind of hard to read). Poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Look: first off, the label on this guy is awesome. Pours black with a mocha colored head. I poured it very aggressively and so I end up with a 3 finger head thats very fluffy and laces the glass nicely. Even though its black there are some deep brown highlights around the edges when its held near a light. Nice looking stout.

Smell: its a little more subtle than I would like. Dark chocolate and a little coffee and some subtle hops are all I get. The coffee is so laid back I'm wondering why this beer is called Java Head.

Taste: its a little sweet, tasting a bit like a milk stout at first. There's some chocolate, some coffee, black patent malt, and some of the hops. The coffee is again fairly subdued. The hops are a little more pronounced than I'd expect. This isn't to say I don't like it; I was just expecting something different because of the name and the label. It also hides the alcohol very well. I thought it was 5% until I looked at the label.

Feel: medium bodied, very creamy and smooth. Its a little on the thin side for a 7.5% ABV stout. The carbonation is spot on for a stout. Again, the alcohol is hidden and there's no warmth from the alcohol.

Drink: probably the high point of this beer. If I wanted to drink a stout all night, I could easily make it this one.

Overall, a decent effort. I was craving a stout and reached for this one out of the beer fridge and it hit the spot. Like I said, it wasn't anything like I expected it to be but that's not a bad thing. Its certainly worth a try!

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

This one poured a midnight black with a skimpy khaki head that laced the glass. It smells rich and sweet, almost like a milk stout. It smells of coffee beans and milk chocolate. The taste too echoes the milk chocolate, probably more so because this was bottled in September of 2009. It has really good flavor, rich and creamy. It drinks pretty light for a stout and is a light to medium. It's very, very drinkable. I really liked this one. I was glad I picked it up while in Cleveland.

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled on date: 9/13/10

Java Head Stout pours with a very dark, nearly black body and 1 finger of creamy tan head. The aggressive pour yielded some nice retention and lacing on my pint glass. Initially the predominant aroma is chocolate, but i pick up some coffee and roasted malt scents after a few more whiffs - nothing bold. The taste is very similar to the smell but more pronounced, some chocolate upfront with some nice coffee flavors coming through in the middle and back. Creamy in the mouth, with moderate carbonation and little (if any) indication of the 7.5 % ABV. Nice to see this become a year round offering from the Troegs Brewery - a welcome addition to my fridge!

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap, served in an imperial pint glass that was chilled.
Dark brown, almost black in color. Cocoa colored head. A little bit of lace.
Roasted malt aroma, a little bit of coffee and a little bit of chocolate.
Pronounced espresso taste, some chocolate.
Medium-bodied.