2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Splinter Gold - Tröegs Brewing Company

Splinter GoldSplinter Gold

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Wild Ale |  12.00% ABV

The transformation of Scratch #3-2007 to Splinter Gold has been a slow rest in oak wine barrels dosed with brettanomyces. During a two-year aging period the horsey flavors of the brett combined with the Westmalle yeast used during primary fermentation to create a complex blend of flavors. Bone-dry and 12% abv, Splinter Gold is highly carbonated.

(Beer added by: Deuane on 12-17-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 146 | Reviews: 68 | Show All Ratings:
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Earlier this week Deuane asked me what beer I would most like to try in the world, and a few hours after I responded with the name "Splinter Gold," he cracked open a bottle from his basement for us. Thanks a lot Deuane!

Splinter Gold has a great look, with a cloudy golden body and a massive off-white head. The retention and lacing are both ridiculous; the thick cap of foam never really goes away, it just gets stuck on the side of the glass.

I spent a lot of time sniffing this beer before I drank it because it smells so damn good, and there is a lot going on in there. Some wood, a boat-load of musty brett, a little bit of tartness, light fruits, and a hint of sweet malt.

Although I would say that Splinter Gold smells better than it tastes, it still tastes very good. Up front comes notes of wood and a ton of brett. The musty, horsey flavors in this beer are as strong or stronger than any that I have experienced. Next hints of pear and green apple break through the brett in the middle of the beer, and coming with them is a little bit of tartness. A lot more brett characteristics follow, adding more funky-musty flavors and a ton of dryness, but underneath that I notice just a hint of ever-so-slightly sweet bready malt. The finish to this beer is insanely dry.

Well carbonated, nice body. Probably the driest beer that I have ever had.

I approached this beer expecting a lot of sourness, and not so much the dry, funky brett that I found. Despite that, and the massive amounts of brett and the extreme dryness, if I had not been sharing this beer I could have easily finished the whole bottle myself. Also, I was shocked to see that the ABV on this sucker is 12%. I would never have expected it was that high, and I was surprised to see it on the description here.

12-17-2010 23:54:17 | More by Hojaminbag
number1bum

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

I've been sitting on this bottle for some time and figured I'd crack it open for review #900. Many thanks go out to krisandajt, who was kind enough to give me this bottle while I was unemployed and unable to get it myself. You're a good man Joe.

First off, this cork was a real bitch to get out and ended up breaking while working on it. Finished with a corkscrew and then poured a hazy golden color with a lot of sediment floating around. about an inch or a little more of white head slowly fizzles down to a pretty good lace, fullest around the edge.

Aroma up front is just jumping out of the glass with funky brett. It's an immensely funky, horse-blankety aroma . The funk remains a big component as it warms but the elements of the tripel start to emerge. They include a fruity, estery aroma, some sweetness and pepper. Really nice and very complex.

The taste is ever bit as good and is really quite impressive. Has a soft sweetness, some floral and fruity estery flavor, peppery spice and a layer of funky brett that permeates all of it. The funky flavor is sort of horse-blanket like and has a touch of band-aid flavor to it as well. Also has a cooling, menthol sort of quality to it in the finish.

The mouthfeel here is really spectacular, a crisp medium body even at 12%. You would never know it because it's so smooth and light for that strength, with a crisp yet not overdone carbonation and a drying finish.

I obviously don't need to say it because so many have already done so, but this is really a sensational beer. I think it's drinking a bit funkier now than I remember it from when I tried it a couple of months ago, and I wish I had had the chance to try it when it was "fresh" in the bottle as well, to see how it has changed. Luckily if they release it again I'll get that chance. Many thanks again Joe for this special bottle.

12-07-2010 02:56:46 | More by number1bum
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for sharing, Greg! From notes.

Pours a cloudy golden straw color. Bottle didnt gush surprisingly (had spent some time in the freezer), but the head was quite sturdy. Big effervescent foam, with some lace.

Aroma is really bretty, earthy, good amount of raw woodiness and some mineral-ish character combining with the alcohol presence. But mostly it's just straight brett. The taste is much of the same, bretty, earthy, dry. Some white grape and berryish fruity note mid-palate. Very subtle acidity before a harsh alcoholic, medicinal finish. And to quote Steve's notes on drinkability: "Not that drinkable".

I wanted to like it, but the harshness in the finish and lack of a sharper acidity hurt it for me. It was much more than just a barrel aged tripel, yes... but it needed more than the one-dimensional brett to take it to the next level.

10-23-2010 03:20:51 | More by Ineedabeerhere
jampics2

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A surprise case of bottles arrived at the Tröegs Brewing Company event at Winking Lizard for the scratch and splinter event. While setting up, the bartenders asked me if I knew anything about the 750ml bottles that owner Chris Trogner had dropped off earlier in the day. I explained that the event was to have Splinter Blue and Black, and I told them a bit about the descriptions of the beers. I also said that the Black was the first bottled run ever, so it wouldn't have labels. You can imagine the look on my face when the bartender pulled out a bottle with a gold label and asked "What about this one?"

So, Chris brought his last case of Splinter Gold to the Winking Lizard, where it was sold for $5 a glass. We had the Splinter Red on tap last year when it was just "barrel-aged Mad Elf". About a 6oz pour into a wine goblet, and I made sure I got the cleanest pour possible as these bottles have a ton of sediment. They're also slow gushers, with snakes of white foam with noticeable yeast chunks escaping the bottle until half of the beer has been poured. Use a stopper for this one if you're not planning on pouring it all at once.

The beer is a golden, almost chardonnay color with some suspended yeast. It's relatively clear, but later pours from the same bottle were muddy. The head is small but bright white and thick, and it leaves spotty but appreciable lacing on the glass.

The smell is dominated by a "horsehair" smell from the brettanomyces and some noticeable but subdued lactic sharpness. The brett has developed a ton in the last two years according to Chris, who commented that he thought the beer had reached its peak. Not as crazy as a Saison Dupont or anything, but some wild notes and fruitiness, reminiscent of eating apple skin and drinking white grape juice while walking around a barn. Some mild spice and oak. Really pleasant but paled in comparison to the expressiveness of Splinter Blue.

The beer tastes wonderful! It's brett based at first, then some Belgian yeast and chardonnay (oak and grape) flavors rush in. Just a hint of peach and green apple tartness, no lacto-sharp lemon flavors at all but for the very end. The oak has left some vanilla and mild spice and makes this very sophisticated. The malt is sturdy and has a Belgian Tripel like taste - sweet candy malt and a touch of herbs and citrus. More tripel than wild. And more wild than sour. Very well constructed.

The mouthfeel is courtesy of crisp carbonation and a medium body. The finish is dry with some oak and mild brett lingering. Imminently drinkable. I get that this is a rare beer and I'm very happy to have had it. What a wonderful surprise! But I must admit, if I had traded an arm and a leg for it instead of having it poured for $5, I probably would have a bit of traders remorse. It's just nothing that unique or extremely new or different. It is very well done, as were all the offerings at this legendary event. However, at the end of the night, there were bottles left while the cases of Black and Blue went quickly. I didn't see one person order a sampler and only get this beer, so maybe Cleveland beer people just don't "get it" or, it could be, the Blue and Black are just that much more world-class. Still a great treat - thanks, Chris!

10-21-2010 19:52:44 | More by jampics2
fiver29

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bottle at Winking Lizard Lakewood. Pours clear straw yellow color with white head. Aroma is brett, straw, barnyard, funky. Lively carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Flavor follows the nose and is funky, barnyard, brett, light, lively, tasty and finishes dry. This is a great brew.

10-21-2010 02:18:15 | More by fiver29
SpeedwayJim

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle. 4oz. sample poured into a Founders snifter. Reviewed from notes. Shared by hoppymcgee at a tasting on 10/16/10.

A: Pours a 1 finger fine, white, fluffy head with moderate retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy yellowish-orange. Lacing is frothy and thick with appreciable cling.

S: Nose is a pleasantly surprising pineapple and citrus. Tropical fruits. Funk and cane sugar. Very sweet with little to no hint of tartness. Bretty. Complex but not the most aromatic.

T: Brett funkiness upfront with hints of cobweb and booze. Not sour in the least with MAYBE a slight tartness in the background that's barely detectable. Am I missing something? I didn't know this was going to be a Brett bomb. Hoppy and yeasty bitterness in the finish with a slight fruit sweetness before it dries out. Finishes funky with an aftertaste of barnyard and bark.

M: Medium bodied, good amount of carbonation. A bit harsh on the palate and abrasive and grainy going down. Finish is messy with an aftertaste that lingers. I'd rate this lower but given the high ABV, its very well executed.

D: Reading the other reviews of this beer, I can't help but wonder... is everyone else having the same thing I'm having? Splinter Gold is just... plain... its Bretty... its slightly sour... good balance... and somewhat unique...but its plain. Nothing that stands out and nothing that warrants praise. If you're looking for this one and haven't had the chance yet... don't bother. Totally not worth the trouble.

10-17-2010 02:44:35 | More by SpeedwayJim
AgentZero

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to Sean9689 for bringing this to our Epic Chicago Tasting.

A - A very opaque golden color. Poured with a nice big head that dissipated to an uneven ring.

S - Very odd smelling beer, although by odd I don't mean bad. Has some definate sour notes to it, like an American Wild, but a bit more bready. Also smells like someone dumped a bunch of yogurt into it, very unique.

T - A little bit tart, with notes of oak, vanilla, and some sort of fruit, possibly pears, apples, and some peaches. A nice bit of funk, and that yogurt comes through for me, can't tell if it's just an overpowering smell or if it's coming in through the mouth as well. Something new for certain with this beer.

M - A medium bodied beer that goes down very smooth, quite creamy.

D - High marks here, I didn't get any alcohol on this and it is easy to down. A bit dangerous at 12%.

I think this is a good, not great beer, but quite overhyped. Unfortunately my low relative review will probably be seen as trashing the beer, which is not the case. I like it, and would drink it again, but I do not find it world class, even though it is a very interesting beer.

08-26-2010 20:11:32 | More by AgentZero
Wisconsinality

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to alcstradamus for this awesome beer.

750mL poured into Chimay chalice.

A- Pours a nice hazy golden with a finger's worth of head. No lacing left behind and just a small amount of light is let through.

S- Super complex. Some nice mild yeast and sour grapes. Just a tad bit of funk on the tail end. Maybe just a little bit of graham cracker rounds it out.

T- Brett, wild yeast and Belgian yeast. A lot of the Belgian tripel characteristics are present. Sour grapes and maybe some sparkling wine. Just a little bit of funk as well. The 12% is nowhere to be found.

M- Medium bodied that has good spritzy carbonation. Just a little dry on the finish.

D- Overall a pretty dang good beer. Dry on the finish and deeply complex. It doesn't get too sweet and there is a good balance between the tripel and the wild. A winner from Troegs for sure.

08-24-2010 18:41:36 | More by Wisconsinality
BeerFMAndy

4.47/5  rDev +4%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 12% ABV, "Pour slow to not rouse the yeast and serve at 55°F in a chalice".

Huge thanks to alcstradamus for sharing this rare brew I didn't even know about until the tasting. Fantastic though!

A - Hazy goldenrod color with a dense off-white head. Decent retention but low lace left over on the glass. Good looking but definitely could be a little better. Acidity probably has a lot to do with it.

S - Very sour, tart aroma with tons of Brett barnyard funk and horseblanket. Some Belgian yeast pokes through in the back with light candi sugar. Very complex and inviting! A bit of lemon citrus comes through too.

T - In the flavor the tripel in this beer comes through more than the wild that the nose displays. Lots of crystal malt and candi sugar sweetness, Belgian yeast, and low spiciness. Wild Brett funk is secondary to the tripel flavor. Light woodiness on the finish.

M - Sweet and smooth medium-full body with a light, crisp carbonation crisp finish. Sour and tart as well but not over-the-top.

D - Good wild that blends the styles very nicely. The balance between the two was fantastic. I like this one a lot; it's smooth and tasty. Too bad it's so damn rare.

08-21-2010 17:28:58 | More by BeerFMAndy
beerwolf77

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Once again the biggest baddest trading mutha fucka I know springs this one on us at a tasting. Adam you are the man!

Poured into my pint glass the beer is light golden yellow. About one finger of white head. Spotty lace.

The aroma is lactic sour with hints of lemon and green apples. The belgian spice and yeast are very present as well. The funk is mild. Much more mild than I had hoped.

The flavor is mild sour with tons of belgian influence. It's more like tripel with light funk and sour than a wild ale. I'm not complaining though.

Medium to light body. Loads of carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall not exactly what I was expecting but delicious and very drinkable. So glad I got the chance to try this beer. Thanks again Adam.

08-19-2010 01:47:30 | More by beerwolf77
alcstradamus

Washington

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed from notes

Pours an extremely murky golden orange with two fingers of head and decent lacing.

The aroma is acidic with notes of lemon zest, peach cobbler, sunflower, earth, heavy oak, saran wrap, walnut shell...jesus christ it is insanely complex and amazing to breathe in

The flavor is a bit lighter and less complex than the nose led me to believe. Nonetheless, still tasty. Heavy oak, Belgian spiciness...the base beer Tripel really shows through. Not much sourness or funk at all despite the wild yeast. After swirling the glass a lot and letting this open up, lots of very subtle complexities peek through and keep me reaching for the glass trying to identify them. But I fail.

The body is medium and carbonation is high yet soft...not prickly or sharp which is a positive

Overall this is a very solid wild beer. Oddly, more sourness might have actually increased the drinkability for me since I felt perhaps it was missing one element to be truly great. Definitely one of the best Tripels I've ever had, but not one of the best Wild Ale's.

08-18-2010 23:28:43 | More by alcstradamus
jrallen34

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to Sean for sharing this at our tasting. 750 ml bottle into my Narke tulip...This was one the beers I was most excited to drink at our tasting and just like that movie you really hear great things about, I can't help coming away from the experience disappointed. Maybe its the hype or that I thought this was a wild ale, which I love....A pretty carbonated pour, not as bad as word on the street, nice gold color...The aroma is just weird, a very creamy character to it when I am expecting nice floral tartness, but instead more maltiness of caramel and fruits with some yogurt and a little funk but not enough for my liking. Interesting just not great...The taste to me is more of a let down, partly I'm distracted by the feel which is really carbonated. The taste is mostly sweetish fruits then lemons at the end, light alcohol, and some oak...Pretty drinkable at 12%.

Interesting try but not there for me, too much hype too little substance. If you go in with an open mind, not expecting any typical wild flavors and just try it, you'll be fine.

08-06-2010 18:22:09 | More by jrallen34
Sean9689

Bottle brought by me to our Epic Chicago Tasting. 750ml bottle poured into Rochefort tulip.

A - Pours a hazy orange/gold with several fingers of head, sticky lacing all along the sides of the glass, and a really nice cap on top to round things off.

S - Yogurt, barrel, funk/tart, sweet caramels, fruits.

T - Slight tart/sour, apples, peaches, slight alcohol hotness (but well-hidden for 12%). Not quite as funky as I was expecting, but it's there, no doubt about it.

M - Light to medium bodied, good carbonation, dry finish.

D - I like this one, however, I was satisfied after just one pour. Maybe not quite as good as this one was hyped to be, but surely not bad by any means. Very solid, very good, just not outstanding. This beer kills it was a tripel, but not as a wild. Recommend.

08-02-2010 15:19:11 | More by Sean9689
MasterSki

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared courtesy of Sean9689 at last night's shindig. Also, big thanks to Tanger for sending me my own bottle - it'll get opened in a couple weeks. Served in a Westvleteren chalice.

A - Slow gusher. Pours with a big foam that eventually settles to a thick cap and leaves plenty of lacework. The body is a dark peach/apricot color with is hazy-to-murky with some obvious suspended sediment.

S - Strong lactic notes, but more malt-forward than I expected. I think this should probably be reclassified back to Tripel, as I get only the mildest "wild" character from the brett. There are some vinous notes as well as plenty of vanilla and oak character. The alcohol is well-hidden, but there's a tiny big that still manages to peek through.

T - Taste has more sweetness, with plenty of peaches and other stone fruits, brown sugar, and oaky vanilla. There's again only a touch of brett character, that lends a slight sour lemon aftertaste. Wonderfully integrated, and shows that American brewers can use balance and subtly if they wish when crafting wild beers.

M - Nice smooth body that is medium in character, but matches the flavor more than the listed ABV. Thankfully there's no obvious heat. I had forgotten this was 12% and was a little taken aback when I looked it up again. Active and effervescent carbonation that doesn't ever get harsh.

D - This was an excellent brew - perhaps not quite as good as it's hyped up to be, but well worth seeking out. It's very easy-to-drink, and the alcohol is shockingly well hidden, as I probably would have guessed 8-9%. Looking forward to some of Tröegs' future barrel-aged experiments.

08-02-2010 01:36:26 | More by MasterSki
glid02

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bottle shared by Grant - much obliged!

Pours a hazy light golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of tart lemon rind with good amounts of heavier pears and apricots. Also present are mild hints of vanilla and even lighter hints of funk.

Tastes good but not quite as robust as it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by good amounts of lemon and pear flavors. The fruits aren't nearly as tart as they are in the aroma which allows for the barrel influence to showcase itself more. Light vanilla flavors make their way out midway through the sip before giving way to equally light amounts of funk. The funk and fruit flavors carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I was a bit let down by the taste after the intoxicating aroma but it's still a very nice beer, even more so as it hides the high ABV so well. Worth a shot.

07-28-2010 01:06:12 | More by glid02
gford217

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Huge thanks to Albert for the opportunity to try this one.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a small bubbly white head receding to a small collar and spotty lacing.

The aroma is tart with lemon zest coming through initially. There is some light sweet fruit with some apricots and peaches and a hint of funk. There is also some vanilla and spiciness for both oak and possibly some other spices.

Taste might be a tad sweeter with peaches and apricots even more prevalent. There is a light zesty kick before the finish where the dry oak and funk take over.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with lots of carbonation but still stays very smooth for the style.

This is an excellent and very drinkable wild for the high ABV. It seems almost impossible for this thing to have 12%. Excellent stuff.

07-14-2010 02:48:53 | More by gford217
mikereaser

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared a bottle with Hophead101 on 12/29/09

A - pours an orangish yellow, hazy, with 2 fingers of white foam that slowly fades, it just looks like a tasty beer

S - orange & lemon along with a nice strong brett aroma, hints of clove and spices

T - citrus up front, brett sticks around long after its gone from the mouth, cloves throughout, flavor is clean, almost doesn't stick around long enough

M - dry mouthfeel, good carbonation, started foaming out of the bottle slowly, definitely not a gusher that some have reported

D - flavor sticks around just long enough to leave you wanting more

07-07-2010 17:01:57 | More by mikereaser
cpetrone84

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Big thanks to Jeremy, Kevin, and Frank...awesome tasting!

A-big gusher here, pours a nicely hazed golden color with a creamy white head, good retention and a nice lace.

S-the nose is brilliant, notes of red wine, vinous, good oakiness to it, vanilla behind. great earthy tones towards the middle, wild yeast with a touch of funk. bananas, peach and pear come in last.

T-a well done cabernet, vinous and oaky up front with notes of vanilla. nice light wild yeast flavors with a good lemon zest behind. the finish adds some nice sweetness, peaches and a hint of tartness.

M-so soft and smooth, creamy medium body. perfect carbonation gives it a good clean crisp finish that is slightly dry.

D-this is awesome, so smooth and soft, the flavors blend together so well adding nice complexity and a great drink. simply awesome!

06-07-2010 17:13:19 | More by cpetrone84
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

This bottle was brought out by jh1982, James, with a few fellow beer lovers. This should be filed under Wild Ale, just because the base beer was a Trippel doesn't mean this is anything like a Trippel. It had one of the hardest corks to open, I thought someone was going to either drop the bottle or blow a blood vessel in their brain trying to get this open. When it did get opened, one of the best beers I have ever had was released.

The appearance is a thick oily golden color with a very strong white head. The head came up quick and left a very heavy lacing on the sides of the glass. It had thick alcoholic legs. The hazy golden color was beautiful, almost like it was projecting a sort of light.

Once the cork came out of the bottle a smell filled the room that was heavenly. This was one of those beer drinking moments that I will never forget. It was straight out of the fridge when we opened it, so it was really cold. When poured into the glass the aroma was intense. Green apples, lemon rind, horse blanket, Brett, white grape skin. It owned some acidic properties that a good lambic has, clearing the nostrils. Sweet fruit sugars with hints of Belgian spice. Amazing.

Right now I am thinking that this is probably the best 'Wild' beer I have ever tried. The complexities in this were just amazing, and a fellow taster said it perfectly, "You can actually taste all of the hard work that was put into this." There was lots of lemon citrus, dry Brett, silky spiced Trippel characters that were still present. Some vanilla, dry white oak, toasted biscuit, and even more citrus. It was fairly tart, with the flavors melding very well. There has been some age of these bottles, and I can just imagine that they are turning into something spectacular. This bottle was perfect.

The mouthfeel was strongly carbonated, and I can totally understand reviewers saying that it was a gusher. The Brett yeast strain is known for creating high carbonation, and in this beer it was perfect. Nice tart flavors with a thicker mouthfeel brought out all the barrel aging and bugs.

It was a once in a lifetime beer, so I was not gulping it down. I enjoyed every sip, knowing that it would eventually be my last. Just an amazing beer that really tested my palate and opened yet another door of my understanding of what a beer can be.
Near perfection.
J

05-25-2010 22:36:32 | More by Jmoore50
nickd717

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

750ml bottle via trade thanks to the extremely generous Deuane on BeerAdvocate. Yeah, Harrisburg! Shared with a small tasting group.

Pours a nice hazy golden-straw color with a huge white head that takes a dog's age to settle down.

Very nice bretty aroma, subtly funky with everyone's favorite smell, horseblanket, as well as a nice sweet malt background. Some light fruits as well.

Flavor is amazing and complex, yet light. Sweet pale malt, oak, Belgian yeast, brett, horseblanket/barnyard, green apple, lemon, and some other unripe fruits. I really like what they did here.

Medium-bodied with high carbonation. I can't believe this is 12%, as it has no real booziness at all.

Goes down incredibly easily for the ABV (if the 12% is real). A real joy to drink, and I kept going back for more. I'm really proud of my old hometown boys for coming out with a beer like this and mastering the great art of -bal aging.

04-21-2010 00:06:48 | More by nickd717
largadeer

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by Nickd717. Thanks!

Cloudy gold, highly carbonated with a big rocky white cap. The head retains very well, making for a pretty swanky looking beer.

The aroma is rich with barnyard-like must, hay, pears, green apples and a bit of tropical fruit. The brettanomyces aroma is outstanding, rife with funk, mustiness and fruit. Pear-like esters become especially prominent as it warms.

Light fruity sweetness coats the palate first, but it's quickly overcome by strong bretty funk and complex fruit character. Flavors of pear, apple, pineapple and lemon peel segue into a peppery, tannic, faintly boozy finish. The mouthfeel is crisp and dry, carbonation is at an upper level and there's little indication that this is 12%. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and it's pretty unique to boot. Hope to try this again.

04-20-2010 22:47:42 | More by largadeer
mikecharley

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Shared generously by Hophead4248 at a great tasting. Can't wait for them to re-release this one (in 3 years)...

Pours a Duvel-esque color. Straw and hazey as hell. The nice chalk colored head sticks around, and really complements this brew.

Smells a little tart, funky, bretty. Has a bit of Chardonnay(sp?) in there as well. Really makes me want to drink it. It smells very complex and well put together.

The taste is really fruity. Great interpretation of the style. It finishes just as the necktag states: "bonedry". Nice funk background in there too. I bet this is gonna age wonderfully. Worth the price of admission, without a doubt. This brew was the clear winner in this tasting, which included Consecration, and Splinter Red.

There is a great level of carbonation in the feel, especially for the 2-3 years this spent in barrels. Like I stated earlier, I cannot wait till this gets re-released (in 2012, or 13). Maybe "someone" will be nice enough to share one of theirs between now and then... Wonderful beer.

04-13-2010 21:43:45 | More by mikecharley
Arbitrator

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Generously shared by nickd717 at Nick3's generous moving party. Thanks, Nicks.

A: Pours a straw-golden body with fluffy effervescence that rises to an inch in height even off my small pour.

S: Zesty lemon / mango, spice, and a nice bretty aroma that brings to mind barnyard funk and hay.

T: Lemon, green apple, pear, and apricot flavors are quite apparent up front. It gets progressively brettier in the mid-taste and finish, without obliterating the fruit entirely. Barnyard, hay, even a hint of leather. It reminds me of the R&D Golden Ale, actually.

M: Quite effervescent and clean in flavor. Light-bodied, dry, and crisp. Not a touch of the 12% is revealed.

D: Definitely a great beer, and one of the highlights of the evening.

04-11-2010 20:55:22 | More by Arbitrator
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I was finally able to acquire a bottle of this. Had not had a drink all week so I cracked this one open tonight, cause well to be honest, it was a hell of a day and I needed to make a nice night. Served at cellar temp I poured it multiple times into a six ounce snifter, thought after the second pour my wife knocked over the bottle making me lose about 6-7 ounces, which fit with the rest of the day quite nicely. Enough rant more beer, as I finished the last glass on 04/08/2010.

The pour was huge, big and better then I ever could have hoped for with a big golden amber color and a huge head of white that reached a height of nearly three inches before settling down and coating the entire inside of the glass with sticky white lacing and a thick covering of white that remained on top all the way through. Got much cloudier the further into the bottle you went.

Aroma is loaded with fruit, pears are dominant, as much as you would say blueberries are in blabaer, this has the most pronounced pear aroma and flavor I have ever come across. Light tartness builds as it comes up to room temperature giving you that horse funk you are looking for but keeping it light with tons of light grain and bready notes back building the pear and now light sour apple. Each sip seems to get even more complex then the one before. Rich pear and apple flavors, light sour notes, hints of grass and liht bready malts, complex as hell. Perfect carbonation, light, bubbly, full enough to coat the tonue, perfectly done with the abv so well hidden I thought it was 8 percent.

Overall damn near perfect. I expected great things but not this great. Seriously one of the best best things i have had in a while. Near perfection for the style.

04-09-2010 01:37:41 | More by mikesgroove
koopa

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle offered by mikey711 at a recent tasting with myself, beerloco, and mrsbeerloco thanks!

Appearance: Light peach to dark golden pour with a 1 finger white crown that shows lush bubbles, moderate retention, and good lace.

Smell: Lemon zest and orange zest over urine soaked hay with a healthy dose of brett and some minor spice notes from the yeast.

Taste: Lots of brett like the nose, but no lemon zest. Some white grape notes and a slightly orange citrus finish.

Mouthfeel: Very nicely crafted light body with great carbonation.

Drinkability: Going down real easy and I want more!

03-15-2010 02:55:03 | More by koopa