Splinter Blue - Tröegs Brewing Company

Splinter BlueSplinter Blue

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Wild Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Slatetank on 09-16-2010

What is Splinter Blue? Splinter Blue combines three of our favorite things – Dreamweaver, tart cherries, and Brettanyomyces. To begin this process we fermented Dreamweaver wort with Belgian/Lambic yeast blend. After a complete fermentation we aged the beer in oak barrels with wild yeast and souring bacteria for one year and then added eighty pounds of tart cherries for another six months of aging.
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle in the midst of multiple cherry sours, krieks. Difficult one to rate as it's almost more in the berliner weiss style in its body and flavor profile. Pours clear salmon/amber with tons of bubbles exploding loudly, receding to nothing. Body is highly active. Nose is light, mineral, faint funk, faint lemon. Fairly nondescript when chilled. Flavor is a lot of mineral up front, light lemon, green apple, segueing into a nice earthy, mushroom funk. Prickly carbonation. Cherries don't really add very much, this is all about the subtle flavors and explosive body. As it warms the funk comes out, as do lighter fruits like pears and peaches. I liked it quite a bit. Amazing drinkability for sure.

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Pourd into LA Stemware

Pours a large fizzy white head that settles to a thin ring. It sounds like pop rocks. Color is hazy grapefruit pink. Active carbonation.

Aroma: Tart cherries, funky brett with some floral notes. It is oaky with a bit of spice, but the big flavors here are cherries and brett. Fairly young.

Taste: Big brett funk up front and lingers though. A bit of medicinal flavors follow through. The cherries are here and a bit tart, but nothing that sticks out heavily. It has oaky flavors. Some bready malts. A touch of spice as well. It isn't too tart or sour, which I expected more of.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and funky. Lighter bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. Ends dyr with medicinal flavors.

Overall, it was an alright sour, but it really can't compete with the others out there. It was a good first attempt, but I think they need more experience. This one could have maybe used some other bugs and some more cherries. I wished it was sour and tart. I only got funk here.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle. Courtesy of mothman. Poured into a chalice a cloudy opaque apricot orange color with a slight collared head but lots of carbonation. Funky aroma with notes of cherry and lemon zest. Light mouthfeel with good carbonation. Has a more malty flavor and feel than I expected but it works nicely with this beer. Funky, fruity cherry and tart lemon flavors. Has some underlying funk flavor but not overly so. I wish the cherries showed a little more in this. Very easy drinking. Slight bitter notes in the end. Overall, this is an ok sour beer. Is it worth the hype? No, to me it isn't but I would drink this again given the chance.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Received this bottle in the White Whale IV BIF from Hophead101. This was a delicious beer that is another great addition to the Splinter series.

I have no idea why, but Troegs feels that it is their responsibility to develop the most impossible ways to open their beer. This bottle had a synthetic blue cork that broke my bottle opener. Then once the bottle opened it exploded all over my kitchen. I would have to say about twenty percent of the bottle ended all over my kitchen. What made it into my glass was a beautiful pink and ruby color with a rocky white head. No real 'floaters' or anything of that nature, a really beautiful looking beer.

The bottle exploded, and when that event occurred my house filled with fresh scents of cherry pie. Tart and sweet cherry smells filled the room, accompanied by a very light must brought by the yeasts.

I do have to say that this beer reminded me of Russian Rivers Supplication. It has a great tart cherry flavor that is clean on the palate and not overbearing at all. This is an easy drinking sour that I could easily drink. Other than the great cherry flavor there is a sourness that brings a bit of lactic character to the beer with a dry Brett mouthfeel.

This was a great beer that I believe should be consumed as fresh as possible. The fruit flavor is delicious and the tart and sour flavors are perfectly balanced.

J

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Got this from klownsbery in an awesome trade and decided to crack it and share at thanksgiving.

A= The pour is a beautiful cloudy pink color. Actually one of the most interesting colors I've ever seen in a beer. The head is a slight pink color and very active akin to a sodas head rising up to about two fingers and falling somewhat quickly to a ring around the glass with no lacing evident.

S= The smell is tart cherries, wood, and loads of funk. The cherries hit me first with a nice tartness and are quickly swallowed by an earthy dirty funk smell. The wood stays underneath the entire smell yet is dominate enough to let you know that it is for sure there. A lot of acidity to it.

T= The taste is wonderful. Not too sour and not to sweet. The balance reminds me of Supplication. Great cherry flavor throughout and the funk doesn't play too much of a leading roll letting those who don't enjoy funk but love sours enjoy as well as those who love the funk keep guessing. The acidity is perfection in thise one letting the flavors come through without being so acidic you can't taste.

M= Perfection in a glass for a sour. The first sip I took it litterally felt like it danced across me tongue. Super high carbonation that actually is fun to drink. Akin to champagne. The mouth may actually be my favorite part of this beer.

D= I could drink this all the time. This is a beautiful beer. If this is any indication of where Troegs is moveing the the future I need on board. I hope they keep up with the Splinter Series and keep making sours for the East because this may top any sour I've ever had. I actually enjoyed this more than Cantillon sours as wild as that sounds. This is beauty in a glass.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Shared by the very generous Habmike at yet another dirty south mediocre tasting.

Appearance: Rich and vibrant raspberry-purple color; smallish white head

Smell: Tart cherries with a lactic sourness. There are also some other berry-type fruits and a delicious funkiness of the earth, mushroom and horse blanket variety (not the diaper and plastic variety).

Taste: loud and brash sour cherries, delicious funk (such a great funk, some american brewers bring the wrong funk) with a nice cheese element and earthy tones, along with vinegar and fruit. I got a background note of vanilla and french oak.

Mouthfeel: medium body with aggressive carbonation

Drinkable: Please sir, may I have another? I really enjoyed this one, one of the highlights of the night - blew Russian River Framboise For a Cure out of the water (FFaC was the beer we opened before the Blue)

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Split one of my bottles with Jwiss22 a few days after the release. Beyond excited for this one, reviewed from notes.

A- Beer pours a sexy looking paler ruby red color with a very thin white head and a massive amount of carbonation visible from the steady stream of bubbles. Really do not want to consume this piece of fermented art because it looks unbelievable, but drinking it is half of the fun.

S- Immediately I am greeted with a slap in the face of sour cherries almost like a freshly picked cherries from the tree. I also pick up the subtle, earthy and funk undertones brought to you from the oh so fantastic use of Brett yeast. After a little warming I am picking up some subtle notes of steeped grains that promote a freshly baked dough character.

T- Now for the best part, right away I am transported back in time to my first sip of Supplication. My tongue is punished with the sour cherry treat and the onslaught continues to please all the way throughout the experience. I also pick up the leather funk of the Brett, it is subtle and melded well into the experience. The final finish is doughy, like bread or grains and brings on some clove hints of a very well brewed wheat beer. It is obvious that dreamweaver was used as the base for this masterpiece.

M- Just like the genius Troegner brothers intended to, it is full of carbonation that prickles all over my tongue and mouth. I am loving the experience and am reminded almost of a fine champagne. The carbonation is very abundant almost to the point of too much, but I feel it's perfect and really leaves you wanting more and more after each sip.

D: Really wish this was a seasonal or that much more was produced, I will be hanging on to my remaining bottles to see how it develops or if an offer comes up that I can't refuse. I can honestly say I could have drank the entire bottle myself, but the experience needed to be shared with others. Really reminded me of Supplication with the tremendous use of cherries to meld well with the other flavors. The Troegner brothers hit a home run with there first sour beer and I can only hope for more of the same. Watch out for them in the near future, until then please John brew more blue!

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

My second time drinking this beer and first time reviewing it.

Ripe raspberry color (bright and alive). No heady and a murky radiance from within of pink and peach.

Funky scents of light fruit and vinegar like acidity.

Puckering in tartness but not overly aggressive in this aspect. The fruit flavors are welcomed and while staying bold the flavors were not at all offensive. Delicious.

Strong carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. The sizzle of carbonation took away from this beer just slightly.

Easily drinkable even with the strength of flavor. Very nice.

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

Shared with SamuelJackson45 on a beautiful late summer/early fall morning on my front porch. Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a beautiful golden hued, deep pink color. A slightly off white two finger head. The head dissipates fairly quickly, but retains a nice foam cap for the duration of the glass. Moderate lacing.

S: The sour cherries are immediately apparent. Some green apple, lemon and brett funk notes also come through.

T: Again the cherries are pretty up front. Lots of other great flavors going on in here though. A bit of tart apple, some bready/cereal elements and a bit of funkiness as well.

M: Here is my biggest complaint about this beer. It is very, very highly carbonated.I realize that this is the way that it was intended to be. It's just a bit too much for me. A very nice, dry finish. It's just hard for me to get past that much carbonation.

D: Despite the issue with the overwhelming carbonation. I could drink a ton of this beer. I could have finished the whole bottle by myself and then some. It's a shame that there was so little of this beer produced. I would love to have this on a regular basis. Instead, I will keep drinking Supplication, which this beer actually reminded me of quite a bit. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite between the two.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting thanks to Chaney; huge thanks Brandon, I was really excited to try this one!

a - Pours an orange amber color with one inch of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident. Very loud from the yeast, sounds like pop rocks in your mouth.

s - Smells of sour cherry, dark fruit, yeast, brett, and oak. Pretty funky and enjoyable.

t - Tastes of sour fruit, especially tart cherries, yeast, oak, and brett. Again very funky and I really enjoyed it.

m - Light to medium body and low carbonation, insanely smooth and easy to drink. Perfect mouthfeel.

d - I thought this was a great wild ale. I thought the smell and taste were very funky and full of tart cherries and oak. I also thought the mouthfeel was perfect. Would love to try this one again.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Last month, I drove 2 hours, waited in line for 4 hours +, and came damn near close to being late for work back in DC. Fast forward a little over a month: The guys seemed pretty stoked to try this beer and it was my pleasure to bring this to a fantastic tasting!

A: Pours a clouding pink/orange/salmon color, bubbly, and a good bit of head that quickly dissipated. Someone at the tasting mentioned that if you put your ear up to the glass, you can hear a snap or pop sound that resembles pop rocks. Cool!

S: Wheaty, sour cherry, with Brett very evident from the get-go. All of these ingredients are very soft in nature and don't bury the nose in too much sourness.

T: Sour fruit upfront, with wheat ("Dreamweaver") that washes over the Brett creating a kind of "sour-dough" quality that is unique and just plain awesome!

M: Not vinegary in any way, the doughy bread-like flair combined with the bubbly carbonation is comfortable to say the least, and the acidity is there but blended well into the ingredients.

D: To say this is highly drinkable almost brings me to tears. Since the odds of me ever trying this beer ever again are slim (only 400 bottles made), I will just leave it at, "Unfortunately, this stuff is very drinkable...."

A big thanks to Sean for bringing this one out at the Halloween eve tasting. Pours a super bubbly hazy orange with an off white head. Smell is average American wild - lots of funky brett and lacto acidity, tart blueberries, some cherries in the background. Taste is sour and acidic, lemons, grapefruit, blueberries, light oak, some cherry sweetness, wet dough, a bit of brett in the finish. Mouthfeel is light with a heavy prickly carbonation, finishes very clean, a decent easy to drink example of the style.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon!

A: The beer appears a hazy pink rose hue with a nice, thick head. The carbonation is high, giving the beer a sound reminiscent of pop rocks. Snap crackle pop!

S: Tart cherries, brettanomyces, oak - funky and wild.

T: Really funky cherry sour, similar in some regards to Lou Pepe kriek. Wonderful and delicious.The wheat aspect comes through nicely, giving the beer a different feel than a traditional fruit lambic. Very well done.

M: Very tart with high carbonation. The beer is acidic but not vinegary.

D: This awesome beer gets my stamp of approval and is worthy of attention. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to have sampled it.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Leave it to the ever-generous Sean6989 to show up with this at a fairly low-profile tasting.

A - A reddish/pinkish color that poured with an off-white head and head that left a little bit of lace.

S - Sour and tart, little bit of brett, there is a very sweet cherry flavor buried deep on the end of this one.

T - Sweet cherrys, but they are not overpowering. It is tart, but not overpowering. It is funky and has oak, but not overpowering. Notice a pattern? This is a very light tasting, but good tasting, sour.

M - Very light, effervescent.

D - Highly drinkable, as it is smooth and nothing is offensive in the least. Very enjoyable, light sour. I was pleasantly surprised after being let down with Splinter Gold.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Big thanks to Sean for sharing this one. Served in a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours with a finger of off-white foam that settles to a thick ring and some bonus bubbles, leaving minimal lace. The body is a hazed pinkish grapefruit juice color that is a little reminiscent of Veritas 007.

S - Pineapple brett character, light lactic sourness, some tart cherry, and a hint of plastic over top of some doughy pale malt. I'm starting to sense a consistent quality to the American Wild Ale starter.

T - Taste is more smoothed out with cherry tartness and some light lactic sourness in the finish. You can definitely perceive the wheat character of the base beer, just as you could the tripel in Splinter Gold.

M - A bit overcarbonated, and a medium-thin body. Since they don't list alcohol it's hard for me to know for sure, but this doesn't seem very strong. Dream Weaver Wheat is only 4.8%, so even if this picked up a few percent from barrel-aging and wild yeast fermentation it's still not a huge beer like Splinter Gold - guessing 6.5% or so. Finish is lightly dry.

D - Very easy to drink other than the prickly carbonation. The tart and sour components are quite attenuated, although my stomach seemed a little annoyed after I consumed this brew. A good but somewhat forgettable wild ale.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Brought this bottle over and split with friends.

A - Pours a reddish/pink, off-white head, some spotty lacing along the sides of the glass, and a thin cap. Nothing blue about it, but still, a decent-looking beer.

S - Medium level of funk/tartness, some sweet berries, and oak. Nothing overly complex here, but very solid.

T - Nice level of funk, some raspberries, oak, sour/tart notes. Not overly sour, a "pleasant" level, but more funky then Splinter Gold. Again, pretty straight forward but enjoyable.

M - Medium, maybe a touch too much carbonation, dry finish.

D - Really enjoyed this one. Much more then Splinter Gold. Hopefully, I'll be able to trade for another bottle or someone else will land one. Recommend.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle graciously provided by Sean...A light rose colored pour, looks eerily similar to Veritas 007...A nice balanced aroma showing off tart cherries, oak, and little sweetness...The taste is lightly tart as well throughout, makes it a tastey drinker, I only wish it was a bit more tart. This is a tart beer not lambic sour. The cherries show off nicely as does a touch of oak...The feel is nice, dry, slight pucker, full palate...Easy drinker.

After having the hyped up Gold I was ambiguous about trying this. However, this turned out to be the highlight of the night. An easy drinking wild with nice balance, could be a touch more tart but a good beer to start people off drinking on sours, or a fun easy drinker for those who enjoy the style.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to nerd for cracking this one open a couple weeks back.

It pours a muddy pink salmon color. Why the hell is this called Splinter Blue? The head rapidly settles to a thin collar.

Lots of musty, funky brett character on the nose, sweaty and cheesy. Cherries are present too, sour with a hint of sweetness. Acidity is both lactic and acetic.

The palate opens with sharp lactic sourness, cheesy funk and sour cherry pulp. There's a bit of buttery oak that pops up mid-palate, but it drops off the palate almost completely in the finish. Actually, the finish is lacking in general - there isn't much to it. This is very easy to drink and quite enjoyable, but it's nothing outstanding.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

From notes:

Enjoyed at home hours after purchase at the brewery release earlier in the day.

Poured a pinkish-red with a thin white head that didn't hang around too long. Carbonation was to be on the medium-high end.

Tart and sweet. Very enjoyable balance between the too. A little more sour would be nice in my book. Cherries are easily distinguishable. An oaky-barnyard fund rounds out the finish.

Very nice. Wish I could've bought more than two.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A - It pours with a small amount of white head that fizzes out pretty quickly leaving a small ring. The beer is a ruby red grapefruit color, that is clear with visible carbonation.

S - The aroma has strong wood notes with light vanilla. The lactic sourness is also present, but in a more subtle amount. There are also notes of sour cherries.

M - Light in body with sharp, active carbonation that tingles the tongue.

T - Sour cherries are up front. Next up is a woody character that is present through the finish. In the finish is a light-medium lactic sourness, some funkiness, and doughy malt.

An excellent addition to the Splinter Series. The wild yeast, cherries, and oak combine to form a delicious concoction.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Two 6oz pours from a 750ml into a wine glass. Purchased for $5 each at the Tröegs Brewing Company scratches and splinters the Lakewood Winking Lizard event. Enjoyed with good friends and Chris Trogner.

Splinter blue is a pinkish-grapefruit color with mauve and salmon colored highlights plus a white head. It looks absolutely stunning in the glass. The compact white head leaves behind some nice lacing. Some active carbonation is noted but the beer is cloudy for the most part.

The beer is so pleasant and it's pretty expressive. It's composed of sour cherry and brettanomyces, giving it a wild and sour aroma. Some earthiness from the wood leaves subtle vanilla hints. The cherries go well with the wheat and brett, and the horsehair/sour combination is a winner.

The taste is wonderful with tart cherries, wheat, and funky brett. Apples, cherry skin, oak, vanilla, and wheat make an intricate and balanced splash on my palate. Not too sour, and the wheat from the Dreamweaver Wheat beer that was used as a base is still a component. The barrels are all virgin barrels made of Pennsylvania oak, and the newness of the wood has some tannin qualities. The cherries are ripe and juicy and add a lot to this beer. Very complex and divine.

The mouthfeel is lively and well carbonated. The beer is light-bodied but packed with flavor. This beer is just 4% ABV, so it's imminently drinkable. Just a fantastic American Wild from Troegs. To have nailed this beer on the first shot shows some real mastery or ninja skills. Either way, this was the best American Wild I've had in a long time and runs circles around beers that have way more brash flavor with no real underlying consistency. Thanks to Chris for bringing out these amazing beers, this was the best event of the 2010 Cleveland Beer Week so far. Highly, highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle at Winking Lizard Lakewood. Pours hazy rose color with white head. Aroma is brett, funk, acid, tart cherry. Very highly carbonated. Flavors are tart, barnyard, sour cherry, a touch of vinegar, and finishes with a bready note a few moments later. Interesting. A very good brew.

3.55/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by nerd. Thanks Mike. From notes.

A: Pours a murky salmon-colored body (I guess everyone was joking, "They should have called this Splinter Salmon") in my snifter. It's well carbonated, with a pinky finger of foam generated by my small pour. Eventually it falls into a collar and a swirl on top of the beer.

S: Lactic sourness with cherry notes. It's accompanied by a soft horse blanket aroma, suggesting brett. Oak, vanilla, and a touch of earth. A nice nose, but I was hoping it would be more pungent and expressive.

T: As noted above, it indeed has a lactic sourness, accentuated by tart, slightly bitter cherry skins. Soft vanilla and sharp American oak dominate the finish, which has a bretty horseblanket flavor rounding it out. As a cherry wild ale, it's quite good; no surprises, good balance of bacterial character. I didn't find it exciting, but I found it good.

M: Well-carbonated; great effervescence that supports the flavors and gives the beer a lively feel.

D: I prefer the Gold to this one. I'd have it again, but so far the Splinter series hasn't convinced me it is worth chasing with cellar highlights (except Gold, which I liked a lot).

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

750ml bottle thanks to soulforpeanuts, and another shared by nerd.

Pours cloudy medium amber with slight purplish hues and a quickly fading whitish head. Not blue.

Tart wheaty and funky aroma with substantial fruity notes. Tart cherries and oak as well.

Great tart cherry flavor with wheat and oaky -baly funk.

Acidic palate with medium body and slight grainiess.

Solid overall but not as impressive as the Gold. Have to give this an honest rating despite being a bit of a Tröegs homer.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Enjoying a Splinter vertical with friends, the Blue is the first on the list...

Appearance: Though I've had this brew before (thanks number1bum!), this time there was a peculiar lacking of the cork "pop". The carbonation appears minimal, there was only a cm worth of head that faded quickly. The beer itself is a cloudy, amber color, but the lack of fizz does give it a sort of lifeless appearance. Upon further examination, it looks like the cork lost its seal a bit.

Smell: Sour and funk, with the slightest bit of vinegar. No real hops, just a bit of malt.

Taste: Sour, which is great...but I'm thinking that the Ephraim I had prior to this did a number on my palate. My tastebuds got pounded harder than a cheerleader lost in the boys locker room with that one. Regardless, this brew has some great flavor, and I'm really enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: A bit lacking on the carbonation, but other than that it's pretty spot on here. Nice medium body, good texture.

Drinkability: An easy drinking sour, I'd certainly recommend it to those who are into the style. The bottle that I've had previously to this was better, but that was the result of a higher amount of carbonation. Troegs did a good job with this one, I'm glad I had the opportunity to try this one twice.

Splinter Blue from Tröegs Brewing Company