Splinter Blue | Tröegs Brewing Company

Splinter BlueSplinter Blue

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

What is Splinter Blue? Splinter Blue combines three of our favorite things – Dreamweaver, tart cherries, and Brettanyomyces. To begin this process we fermented Dreamweaver wort with Belgian/Lambic yeast blend. After a complete fermentation we aged the beer in oak barrels with wild yeast and souring bacteria for one year and then added eighty pounds of tart cherries for another six months of aging.

Added by Slatetank on 09-16-2010

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 135

I was pleasantly surprised when javib showed up to a bottleshare with this bottle. Thanks!

I didn't expect much based on old reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a beautiful pour with a nice berry/sour aroma. The taste and mouthfeel did not disappoint. This was a very peasant sour and it has aged very gracefully. I traded for a bottle of my own it was so good.

Update: I opened my bottle at Toronado last night(10/11/11) and shared it with the beertenders. Highly carbed, tart and sour without that harsh acetic bite. Absolutely delicious.

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

Shared with SamuelJackson45 on a beautiful late summer/early fall morning on my front porch. Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a beautiful golden hued, deep pink color. A slightly off white two finger head. The head dissipates fairly quickly, but retains a nice foam cap for the duration of the glass. Moderate lacing.

S: The sour cherries are immediately apparent. Some green apple, lemon and brett funk notes also come through.

T: Again the cherries are pretty up front. Lots of other great flavors going on in here though. A bit of tart apple, some bready/cereal elements and a bit of funkiness as well.

M: Here is my biggest complaint about this beer. It is very, very highly carbonated.I realize that this is the way that it was intended to be. It's just a bit too much for me. A very nice, dry finish. It's just hard for me to get past that much carbonation.

D: Despite the issue with the overwhelming carbonation. I could drink a ton of this beer. I could have finished the whole bottle by myself and then some. It's a shame that there was so little of this beer produced. I would love to have this on a regular basis. Instead, I will keep drinking Supplication, which this beer actually reminded me of quite a bit. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite between the two.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Split w/ scottfrie. Much thanks! Drank 6/25/11.

A: A nice ruby-red grapefruit color that initially poured a MASSIVE head that dissipated nicely.

S: Whew. Talk about barnyard funk indeed. Strong notes of Brett that dominate the nose. A hint of tart (green apples?) and some cherry comes through.

T: The Brett comes through in the taste as well, but in a very balanced way. This beer is a refreshingly delightful balance between tart green apple and sour Brett. There's a hint of cherry, but it appears to have faded a bit.

M: Nicely carbonated, and the body is oh-so-nicely intermediate. There is a bit of a syrupy finish that comes across as a bit off, but it's good.

O:This is an extremely tasty beer. It's a refreshing combo of sour and tart.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Splinter Blue: Cracked to celebrate the life of my childhood puppy that had passed recently.

4/5 A: Pours a hazy light golden brown, with a pink hue.  The head was white, also with a pink hue, but receded very quickly.

4.5/5 S: The nose brings a blast of sour cherries and Brett.  The sour/funk is balanced by sweet cherries and wheat notes.

5/5 T: The taste is opposite the nose.  The sweet cherries lead the way, followed by sourness from the bugs, then some funky leather notes from the Brett.  The after taste has a cherry medicinal flavor melded with a wheat flavor.  There is some spiciness on the end as well.

4.5/5 M: Light bodied, highly carbonated and solidly sour.

5/5 D: Overall this beer is a winner.  Congrats to the guys over at Troegs!

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Wow am I glad I popped this splinter blue with my wife. This wild ale is awesome over carbonated just enough to overflow when the corks pops off. Into the glass huge carbonation with slightly tinted bubbles perhaps influenced by the dull light red hue of this brew. The smell is hints of sour and bready-ness with citrus sweet notes hinting at grapefruit or the cherries. The taste is sour sour sour with smacks of cherries and slices of razor sharp carbonation. The mouth feel is just right thin super carbonated and awesome. My wife and I enjoyed this hard to get beer.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

My second time drinking this beer and first time reviewing it.

Ripe raspberry color (bright and alive). No heady and a murky radiance from within of pink and peach.

Funky scents of light fruit and vinegar like acidity.

Puckering in tartness but not overly aggressive in this aspect. The fruit flavors are welcomed and while staying bold the flavors were not at all offensive. Delicious.

Strong carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. The sizzle of carbonation took away from this beer just slightly.

Easily drinkable even with the strength of flavor. Very nice.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last