2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tröegs Hopback Amber Ale - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Hopback Amber AleTröegs Hopback Amber Ale

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Per Troegs website - serving temperature should be 50-55° F.

(Beer added by: Maestro on 09-29-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,267 | Reviews: 1,094 | Show All Ratings:
WVbeergeek

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

Appears amber with a copper tint and a huge billowing head with trickled lace surrounding my pint. This is one balanced brew in my opinion the aroma is balanced between sweet caramel malt and floral eathy pine scented hops, so balanced it's just about the perfect beer. This is one reason why Troegs has done what it has, and with it's oatmeal stout truly one PA's finest micros out there I must say. The taste is also truly balanced with a trace of the hops adding a bittering quality with the malt waves following blending perfectly to form a hopback amber ale. Medium to light bodied very good beer with no off tones to it everything here is like butter, what can I say. The drinkability level is unlike any other amber ale out there it's perfect, I love this beer.

06-14-2003 15:04:01 | More by WVbeergeek
RichT73

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

After trying the Troegs Nugget Nectar, which I can't get enough of, I was very excited to try another offering from this brewery. The first thing I noticed was the pour...what a beautiful amber sunset color. I then took a big whiff and could smell the hops, which made my mouth water. After the first sip I thought this beer was very good, but the hops didn't grab my tongue like I thought they might given the name. While I consider myself somewhat of a hophead, I didn't mind the mild taste and after a few minutes found myself at the bottom of the glass. I could easily drink these all night and can't wait for my next purchase from Troegs.

02-27-2009 00:05:35 | More by RichT73
ZAP

4.65/5  rDev +16%

No ordinary Amber here...what a great beer!!....tastes like an ESB to me...clean looking amber color with a white lace that rims the glass nicely..excellent nose...fresh, leafy, floral hops basking in the sun on top of a bed of caramel...the body is surprisingly balanced as the hops do not overwhelm your buds....they are definitely there though and very nice...but the caramel mixes in and creates a tremendously drinkable beer..mouthfeel is medium and perfect..One of the better ESB's I've had....as a Red it rates #1 for me over Bell's Amber Ale but I consider this more of an ESB and an excellent one at that....

(Two Troegs beers now for me and two outstanding beers....As I work my way through some East Coast Breweries this one is starting to shine brighter than some of the others although I still have some work....ummmm...tasting to do with many more brands and beers...)

05-21-2003 21:20:44 | More by ZAP
cerevisiaephilus

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Very nice find this weekend in State College at the Phyrst. This beer must have been mighty fresh. Had a nice hop nose, but the juicy, round, phat, fruity hop flavors in this beer make it really very nice. Very fresh fruity, juicy hop flavor. Very drinkable as well.

05-17-2004 01:55:54 | More by cerevisiaephilus
sarahspat

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Had this on tap at Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg.

This brew has a nice appearance: clear dark amber with an offwhite head. Safari animal shaped lacings appeared as I drank (giraffes, elephants, zebras, etc.)

Smells great too: rich grapefruit and flowers.

Tastes AMAZING. Very complex. Powerful grapefruit up front gives way to luxurious berry flavors and sweet caramel. Fresh raspberries and blackberries make notable contributions. OMG the raspberry flavor is amazing. I actually had to check Troegs' website to verify that they did not in fact add raspberries to this brew. YUM! There is also a pleasant floral presence and a nice dry finish.

Nice mouthfeel and good carbonation.

Yes, this is more hoppy than most ambers, but I think they keep it reasonable and don't go far enough to take it out of range of the style.

My first Troegs beer has become an instant favorite. I could easy drink a few of these in one sitting. What a great brew! I can't wait to try more Troegs now that I live in an area where they distribute. Really impressive beer!

05-02-2009 19:02:34 | More by sarahspat
IPhantom

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Pours a leathery amber, with a one-finger-plus pillowy head. Lacing is persistent through the glass, making level clouds above the landscape of the head. The smell is almost straight citrusy hops, a little metallic, with some non-descript malt backbone. Taste is well-balanced to the side of bitter. Citrus hops, caramelly malts, and a pleasantly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is on the lower side of the carbonation spectrum.

Although there's nothing outstanding about this beer, it's solid, very approachable, and a good one for all seasons. Even better on tap.

11-27-2011 20:27:14 | More by IPhantom
Hendry

Vermont

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Deep amber with a finger and a half ecru head that reduces quickly leaving a good deal of sticky lace in the glass.

Aroma comes off as a balance of malt & hops, sweet and citrusy all at once.

Taste starts out with sweet (but not overdone) malt, then hops a plenty take over with a nice balance of bitterness in there. Remarkably smooth drinking with pleasant flavors abound, alcohol is hidden quite well for 6%.

Mouthfeel is light medium, dry & crisp finish more like an IPA than an amber.

With Nugget Nectar being a tough act to follow, Hop Back Amber is a great grab by Troegs while NN is out of season (and even when it is in season). This is an exceptionally well done amber with a distinct flavor well worthy of a purchase.

07-27-2013 02:59:20 | More by Hendry
Edwin

4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Pours a true amber color, no other word to describe it. Head appears and fades fast with some lacing in there. Troegs beers typically have this effect forsome reason. Good looking beer to be sure.

Smell - A small grain scent with some sweet/fruitiness in there. Maybe a touch of honey flavor mixed within. Hoppy aroma definitely comes through.

Taste - Wow! What an interesting flavor the Two Brothers have gotten out of this beer. A sweet, fruity, caramel Amber Ale flavor with the greatest flavor of hops coming through. Not too ovrbearing one way or another. Two words: a triumph.

Mouthfeel - Feels pretty good. Only thing I may have liked would be just the slightest hint of more carbonation, but I am just being a little picky. Otherwise, very very good.

Drinkability - Excellent. If you like Amber Ale and hops, you really canno go wrong here. Great flavor and an easy beer to make friends with over the course of an evening. Your girlfriend will get jealous.

Comments: Excellent beer offering from Chris and John. This brewery is evolving into something very special. Pick up this or any one of their samplings soon!

10-20-2003 22:23:29 | More by Edwin
Tbn2

4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Served from a bottle to a pint glass

A-Very copper in appearance. Two finger head settled pretty quick and no lacing left behind.

S-Very good. You get a blast of grapefruits and citrus in your nose. In the background is some sweet grains but the grapefruit hops takes the spot light in a good way.

T/M-Very good. Just like the smell. A very citrus/grapefruit hop flavor last throughout the entire taste. At the end, some pale malt comes out balancing everything just perfectly.

Overall this beer is damn good. Pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

Drink em if ya got em....

06-24-2008 14:46:41 | More by Tbn2
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy, golden caramel hue with about a finger of effervescent head that's just a shade darker than white.

S: Smells lightly sweet with caramel malt and carries bright citrus notes across the nose as well, not common for an amber. There's also something reminiscent of cotton candy, quite exciting.

T/M: Medium to high carbonation tingle the tongue and give way to pine and earthy hoppiness with a touch of that citrus as well. It doesn't taste nearly as sweet as it smells and is more like an IPA than an amber. More hop bitterness carries through the end but leaves just a little room for some malty sweetness and finishes with a floral outro.

For an amber, this is really off, although for a beer, this is incredible.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

03-03-2012 01:24:34 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
reebtaerG

4.63/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle into New Belgium globe

A- Pours clear golden amber with a 3-finger off-white head. Spotty lacing.

S-Mild, resiny hop aroma with a touch of caramel malt.

T-Light citrus hops flavor, a touch resiny, with some caramel at the back.

M-Medium body, a touch oily. Great carbonation.

O-I love this beer, perfect balance of hops and malt with caramel, yummy!

03-12-2014 00:33:36 | More by reebtaerG
Muse

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the first time I've been inspired to write a review. I'm new at this, so take that into account.

I've always been a fan of hoppy ales, and after reading a review of Tröegs' ESB I picked this up. Honestly, I thought I was getting the ESB, but turns out it was this amber ale instead. No problems though, I set out to do my tasting...

First thing I noticed upon pour was actually the smell. I was watching for appearance (a fine 1/4 inch on top of clear reddish amber), but was quickly seduced by the floral scent -- fruity with distinctly apricot overtones. Very attractive.

The taste answered expectations, with a nice balance of fruit and bitter. I think I my bottle may have been a bit overchilled, which felt refreshing -- and happily, the bold and balanced flavor had no problem punching through. Very clean.

Red Hook ESB has been my flagship favorite for some time now. No more -- when I can find Tröegs Hopback Amber, it's first on my list. I'm hoping to find the Tröegs ESB and give that a try next.

Thanks to this site and your reviews! Like I said, I'm new at this, but I think I've already taken a big step up. Cheers!

09-09-2005 17:47:13 | More by Muse
donkeyrunner

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very clean looking transparent amber. Large white head with great retention and sea foam lacing. Constant tiny bubbles.

Smells just like liquid amber malt extract and orangey citrus hops and honey.

Light and creamy amber with a smooth hop juice aplenty. Not too carbonated despite all the bubbles. Pleasant.

trade via aibkstaff

Had this on cask recently - it was Chuck Norris worthy.

01-08-2009 00:17:59 | More by donkeyrunner
Jayli

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer poured a pretty medium amber/red. Thin film of an off white head with very little lacing despite vigorous pour. Smell was extremely hoppy, much more so than I expected with a red ale - smell was like an IPA, with scents of sweets malts evening it out. Taste is flavorful of big hops, and sweet malts. The tastes are bold yet well balanced. Mouthfeel is moist, crisp and is extremely smooth with decent carbonation. This is a great beer, completely hit the spot - with Troegs now in the area, this will definitely be a session beer!

02-10-2009 02:50:01 | More by Jayli
MrOH

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Brilliant amber with a 1/2 finger of khaki head. While small, it displays excellent retention and lacing.

Citrus and herbal hops, a slight yeast fruitiness, and a backbone of continental malt.

Caramel and bready malt with citrus up front and herbal hops in the back. Very well balanced. Sweet but clean.

A touch heavier than medium, lower than normal carbonation, which I enjoy.

A great example of a balanced and easy drinking american ale that is still flavorful and complex. I wish more breweries could pull this off.

10-26-2011 03:32:34 | More by MrOH
Bobancheff

Apperance- pours a smooth 1/4 inch head. Very light lacing

Taste- This beer is very smooth and drinkable. We call it a creeper beer because is is 6 percent but slides like a typical yellow beer.

overall- This is a very drinkable amber ale that I would not hesitate to drink again.

12-13-2011 06:13:55 | More by Bobancheff
ramrod666

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

saw this an cask at the sharp edge emporium in pittsburgh and told the bar-keep to pull me pint. little did i know, this would take some time. about ten minutes to be exact. i waited patiently as he readied the pint. he told me that it had not been pouring well but, the taste was fine. i said ok. the appearence was a creamy amber with a mountainous head that you could cut with a knife. the smell was much more raw than that of the bottle or an tap samples. a very hoppy nose with a sweet malty, earthy back. taste was creamy, hoppy floral but, more subdued than i had expected. the malts in this ale seemed to come through more on cask. mothfeel was almost free of carbonation and heavier than other serving types i've tried. the lack of carbonation kind of threw me at first. it seemed to take away the bite from the hops but, delicicous nonetheless. i don't know if i would have more than one or two on cask at any given time (price-$6 a draft) and the lack of carbonation lowered my drinkability slightly. very much enjoyed.

Serving type: cask

07-23-2004 02:57:51 | More by ramrod666
bozebus17

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks goes to Beer Truth for this bottle.

Poured a nice clear copper with a large white head. This subsides to a good layer of white foam that leaves ample lacing.

The aroma has all kinds of things going on. I get notes of pine, some earthiness, and lemon zest. It has a very "clean" aroma that I can't quite find the words for.

The taste is very nicely balanced. There are small touches of toasted malt, but hops dominate here. The lemon character is definitely here, but what I really notice is tropical fruit. It is very soft on the palate and finishes clean. This beer is extremely refreshing and easy to drink.

This was an awesome brew. Crisp, clean, refreshing, and delicious. I sure wish I had more than one bottle!

09-29-2007 17:22:20 | More by bozebus17
wobblynoggin

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Pours a perfect amber into a pint glass with a slight lacing. Soda like bubbles.
S - Perfect balance of malt and hop notes, mixed nuts, caramel sugary
T - Again, just a perfect balance of malt and hops. If you like hoppy beer but do not want to give up the malt, this is the beer for you. From sip, to swallow the balance is just perfect. Caramel from the malt, and a slight citrus from the hops, like a muted grapefruit, not too sweet
M - Carbonation a wee bit much for my liking, but it does not ruin the mouthfeel. As the beer warms, the malt takes over a bit more, but that is to be expected.
D - Due to the carbonation, I think this is a 3-4 beer choice, which overall is not bad, but I like to clear my palate after this beer since it is a bit complex.

Overall, a great concoction of an amber ale with a hoppy kick. You'll impress a few people if you bring this along to a gathering.

11-19-2008 03:23:02 | More by wobblynoggin
mempath

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

pours lovely...settles fast...not the clinglessness i expected....but that's small potatoes since the smell is intruding already before i've even activated my cyberNose...!

smell is hops. hops. perfect. hops. not ballistics. more like a louisville slugger.

it's simply nugget nectar as david banner, not the hulk! the flagship troegs FINALLY....and after the nugget, i still find this overwhelmingly lovely. scared of hops? confront your fear, step back and at least gulp one of these....if anything, the subtle aspects of HOPBACK trump the napalm blast of nugget nectar. i prefer to be waylayed...but this is a subtle form of dissent in a macro world of dumbass complacency. far left brewing for sure.

creamy, ecstatic. carbonation is sparkling and is the backbone of this heavy hitter.

too drinkable. at 6% ABV, it tastes more like a stealthy 8% punch. wowee

troegs may just be the best brewery in the state. east coast...exponentiallyETC...

03-12-2009 02:13:20 | More by mempath
FeDUBBELFIST

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Hand pumped into pint glass.

A: Very large, billowing white linen colored head that lasted quite some time. The lacing was spare. The body was a medium orange-brown and murky from the cask conditioning. I understand.

S: The focus here is not on the malts, which were light at best. The hops shine unobstructed, way above average but not huge. Whether or not it was from the cask or from a very recent brewing, the freshness of the hops was evident. The Hopback has a beautiful bouquet of flowers and wild grass.

T & M: The hop aromas are also the hop flavors. Even though they outweigh the malt, balance is achieved through other flavor sensations, in this case, equal parts sweet and bitter. The medium body is smooth & creamy which also neutralizes the hop attack.

D: Even the loud, drunk & obnoxious girl beside me couldn't keep me from enjoying this one. Really smooth, very well balanced and truly sublime. The Hopback Amber Ale is made for the cask.

Serving type: cask

01-03-2010 01:16:01 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
kernalklink

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

Tried this brew on tap in York PA. What a surprise; it poured an extremely bright red amber with little head but good lacing. The aroma was sweet malts with a hint of hops, great earthy smell. The taste was even better with a perfect balance of citrusy sweetness and a great hop selection- so satisfyingly good and it could be even better bottled. Mouthfeel was smooth with moderate carbonation. I'm a big American IPA fan and this brew can stand up to the best of them- good choice.

11-17-2006 23:19:19 | More by kernalklink
schoolboy

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

The Hop Back Amber was the star of the Troegs sampler 12 pack. All of the Triegs had similar things going on, while being true to their style. The common thread in all of them was the smoothness. Absolutely no harshness in any of these beers. This made them all above average.

This particular one is the hoppiest of them (hence the name). I think this beer would especially appeal to someone who didn't want a hoppy beer that hit them in the face, but still wanted a lot more hops than normal.

I think the real craft in all their brews is this creaminess. Cudos. I will buy it again.

09-14-2008 23:07:50 | More by schoolboy
VTaler

Vermont

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Dark Amber with nice ivory white head that leaves nice lacing and stays around for a bit
S - Smells like an IPA. Very hoppy smell. Somewhat of a sweet nutty smell
T - Kind of sweet but it balances out perfectly with the hops. The hops are there but not too overpowering. Nice caramel/nutty malt flavor
M - one of the best mouthfeels I've ever had in a beer. Low carbonation and cream.
D - very drinkable

Overall i loved this beer. I was very impressed. I will make this a go to beer.

07-29-2009 21:01:31 | More by VTaler
Hopdaemon39

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a pretty clear amber/orange color with a creamy one finger head, solid retention and lacing. It smells like citrusy hops and maybe a little bit like raspberry. The taste is superbly balanced- medium bodied with overtones of hops and a clean dry finish. The mouthfeel is perfect for this style- well carbonated and very refreshing. Especially for the price, this is a fantastic beer. I plan on drinking it more frequently.

01-13-2012 23:46:23 | More by Hopdaemon39