Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tröegs Perpetual IPA - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Perpetual IPATröegs Perpetual IPA

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: thain709 on 08-11-2011

Reviews: 589 | Hads: 3,096
1.66/5  rDev -59.3%

Bottled 10/31/2012 Batch 121003
Beware of this date and batch

Appearance: straw yellow pour with a thin whitish head, from the appearance you could've thought this was your typical Troegs Perpetual IPA.

Smell: I was expecting this beer to smell the same way it always does, piney, citrusy, juicy, hoppy goodness. However, I was sadly disappointed. It almost smelled like a Belgian ale with some sort of spices. Just from the smell, I knew this batch was gonna hurt my feelings.

Mouthfeel: this part of the beer was fine. The carbonation seemed like usual.

Taste: Again, I was expecting that hoppy, piney, delicious Perpetual flavor, but I got something I couldn't even explain. It didn't provide me with the flavor I have become accustomed to from this outstanding beer. All I could taste was cloves or something strange, for what I know this IPA to normally be.

Overall: This beer could have very easily ruined my night, if I didn't have a bunch of great beers to drink after. I have come to love this beer since it started year round production, but this must be a bad batch. I hate to say negative things about this beer, but I wanted to warn others of this specific batch. I got mine at a Wegmans.

Update: Per my friend Terry, he messaged Troegs on Facebook only to find out from them that Hurricane Sandy messed up this batch of beer and made it too yeasty. Not only were they willing to acknowledge their mistake, but they told him to bring the case to the brewery to rectify the problem with an exchange. He made out fine on the deal by getting a fresh one. I only bought to bottles, so I chugged them instead. (1,623 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wow. Straight up, this thang kinda smells like the ripe underbelly of a skunk - while the taste is more like an average Pale Ale at best. Not stoked, Raul ain't stoked at all. What's going on here? Raul was pumped on this Tröegs offering, but like a Hershey kiss, Raul rather leave it in the wrapper.

*Consensus: terrible attempt at a West Coast IPA. (352 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -38.5%

Bought it 5/5/15 after started drinking say caned dated was 3/2/15. A little too old for an IPA so I assume it was just because it was old. Will find a fresher one and update this (179 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -34.8%

12oz bottle into Duvel artist tulip glass

A - light straw yellow. small head with large bubbles and mild lacing.

S - virtually non-existent. little to no hop aroma at all. light zestiness that reminds me more of a summer pale than an IPA.

T - better than the nose but also a slight let down. Mild hop at the front that fades quickly and finishes clean with very faint bitterness. very little similarities to most IPAs

M - very clean and refreshing. I could easily drink alot of these on a summer day...but not sure I would want to honestly.

O - unfortunately I just dont get the glowing reviews for this beer. I am usually a Troegs fan but this one fails to hit the mark. Easy to drink yes, but fails to live up to most all of the requirements for an IPA. Just meh, and barely that. I will give it another try and revise if needed. They deserve that at least. (864 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Yellow appearance, white head, 3/4" in depth. Found it to be a lot lighter in color than most ipa's much less 7.5% ones. Aroma, hmm. Where's the hops? Never a good sign when you're drinking an ipa and can't smell it. Do they do bottle dating? I couldn't find one on my bottle, so who knows, I've had good Troegs beers, so maybe this isn't their fault, but its not my fault I can't find a bottle date, so the review is what it is. Citra hops are allegedly in here? Could have fooled me, they are dainty hops in terms of longevity, so my theory grows. . .

Taste, rampant bitterness, you can definitely tell some high alpha acid hops were used, and not a lot of malt (from both the color of the beer, as well as the massive bitterness, lack of caramel, body etc. . . ). Unfortunately, they impart virtually nil in terms of mouthfeel of the hop. Carbonation is high, alcohol is mildly stinging like an antiseptic. The bitterness just doesn't have any flavor to it, nothing in terms of pine, tropical or citrus fruit. Its kind of bland. Reminiscient of double take ipa, all bitterness, no substance. I'd try it again based on the fact that I know Troeg's is much better than this in every other effort I've had from them. (1,218 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -25.5%

This beer is as confusing as using the IPA nomenclature for an Imperial Pale Ale. Darkish golden color, light caramel and leafy hop aroma. Thinnish medium body and a touch of sweetness that barely balances a big dose of grassy bitterness. Weak grassy hoppy middle which overides the malt character. Slight alcohol heat gives it a little spiciness. Finishes dry on the tongue and bitter on the palate. Can't tell if this is just an out of balance big pale ale or an IPA that fails to deliver hop flavor/aroma. Even on its own merits without the confusing naming convention, doesn't fare much better. (598 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed a pint on tap at La Cave Du Vin September 9th, 2012. I do not recall the price.

A Creamy head over a translucent light copper body. Once again, deifficult with low light at La Cave. 3.5

S Floral hops and little else. A little bit “one note” for me. 3.0

T Solid IPA taste. Bitter hops which are not very balanced. The bitterness lingers on the back of my tongue for a while. Hop heads rejoice! 3.0

M Moderate feel with bitter hops. 3.5

D/O Drinkability is only fair. Overall this is a fair beer from Troegs, home of some of my all time favorite beers including Troegs Pale Ale which I would drink readily before this one. 3.0 (673 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thin white head. Head is gone in a flash, becoming a thin layer of bubbles that leaves some ok layered lacing.

S- Smell is a bit of citrus hops, pine, and quite a bit of sweet and bready malts. Overall, the nose on this one is quite weak.

T- Quite a bit of citrus hops here. With a strong malt profile. Again nothing over the top here and kind of boring.

M- Medium in body and good amount of carbonation.

O- Pretty disappointed in this one. I thought this one felt short of quite a few brews I've had of this style recently or I've just been drinking some of the most gnarley ones out there. Not really feeling anything DIPA about this one. (683 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought this because I liked Troegs' colorful graphics and the price for a single was relatively low. Then when I saw it mentioned more often than any other IPA on the BA IPA Day forum I thought I had lucked out on a real winner.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute.

a: A bright clear gold, finger thick head lingered, eventually dwindled to a patchy surface foam film and full lacing.

s: Surprisingly little detected.

t: Near mouth-puckering resiny hops.

m: Light to moderate. Looks more refreshing than it tastes, due to the hop bitterness lacking in flavor beyond a sharp resin. Mellows out somewhat as it is drunk, but leaves an unappealingly bitter finish.

o: A deceptively strong-tasting brew considering its light and bright appearance. I can see why hopheads would like this one, and I do enjoy a good IPA (Union Jack, Double Jack and Ruination are favorites) but Perpetual was just too unredeemably bitter.

I'm wondering why my review does not jibe with most others here. The label is dated 2012, which may or may not relate to bottling date. But age usually mutes hops. not accentuate them. Puzzling. (1,141 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

Bottle 8-11-11 (fresh!) Poured into a Bell's tulip. Looks exactly like apple juice with a white cap of head on it. The nose is malt dominant with soapy, flowery hops and a smell my wife calls "those candy hearts you get with the phrases on them". I don't know exactly what she is talking about and yet I do. Not a huge fan of the nose. Flowery, bitter hops, a bready malt back, it almost tastes lagered some how. Not really a fan and surprised how much I don't like the hop profile for how fresh it is. Oddly bland for a really fresh IPA. Bitterness, but not in a fun way. If you try really hard, there is a pine presence, but mostly flowery. Nothing wrong with this beer - good mouthfeel and whatnot, but I don't like it. Also, Imperial Pale Ale for IPA? The definition of no errors, but distinctly average. (808 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours golden and crystal clear..personally I like it a little murky. Aroma is mild citrus and a teeny bit dank. Taste reinforces the smell. I find this beer underwhelming. The bottle is just under a month old too. Probably a good intro ipa. I will not be picking this one up again. Now nugget nectar on the other hand.... (321 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was left in my frig after a recent homebrew session. From a 12oz bottle into a pint sized tulip glass.

A: a golden straw color, maybe a hint of orange

S: very piney, almost with a hint of cat pee.

T: medium malt up front, then the backend of pine and bitterness hits you. It's not overly bitter, but very pine forward. It finishes dry but the bitterness lingers.

M: nicely carbonated, the aftertaste is a little piney for my taste. I can't taste any dry hops, but the bottling could be the cause of that. It's almost as if this beer is heavily bittering and flavoring hops, with almost no finishing or dry hop charachter.

O: I don't hate this beer, as i usually hate most commercial IPAs, but I certainly won't be chosing it off the shelf. (744 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

Well made IPA… golden color and full head with good lacing. I prefer a balance and drinkability, and do enjoy a serious hop kick, but am not an extreme IPA freak. This beer has nice citrus/fresh hop aroma and a very slight malt/breadiness on the nose. I’m not getting much malt backbone even though it’s a 7%+ brew, but it has a very classic hop profile. I enjoy Troegs beers and their Perpetual IPA is pretty solid, but it seems a bit reserved for what I was expecting. (476 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not as hoppy as I'd expected. Drinks easy enough for an imperial ipa, but didn't satisfy my hop craving. More malty. More like a heavier hopped strong ale. (155 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

solid, but not mindbending, good but nothing special, if you can find this, chances are you can by 90 minute ipa from dogfish head, buy that it's better (152 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: [3.25] Golden yellowish color. Forms a nice dense 1 finger white head. I can see lots of bubbles coming up from the insignia on the bottom of the glass. The head has staying power. Decent lacing on the glass. The ABV is clearly marked at 7.5%. The born on date is a treasure hunt. I found a Julian code (I think). It seems the beer is 5 months old. Man julian codes tick me off

S: [4.00] Nice aroma. Pine, floral and some sweet undertones.

T: [2.75] Not like the nose. The first sip was metallic. That faded quickly. The following sips were bitter front to back - not overpowering - but it is the main element. I keep sipping looking for more. I assume there is hop fade due to the age. There is some corn taste, maybe a slight hint of lemon citrus - but nothing really following the nose.

M: [3.00] The bitter front to back is not a great benefit to mouthfeel. The carbonation and body are right - but the bitterness is a distraction.

O: [3.25]The nose and the appearance were pretty promising after that it kind of fell down. I guess I will try another one, in the future, if I find it fresh. The alcohol is well hidden - so that is a plus. This is a "C" beer. (1,191 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A. A very transparent golden color with a 2 finger white head

S. Seems to be a pretty malt forward IPA by the aroma. Getting a lot of bready and biscuity malt. Slight pine smell.

T. Agreeing with the nose it's a more malt forward IPA. Again bready and biscuit malt with some pine flavor and a little bitterness at the finish. Some grassy backbone. Bit of a metallic taste.

M. Light to medium body. Decent carbonation.

O. An OK beer. I myself like more hip character and I just get a little pine. More malts which aren't bad but not great. Mouthfeel is average. Probably wouldn't buy again with all the IPA options but definitely not a bad beer. Worth a try. (710 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.4%

Look: Pours a light orange color that is almost completely see through 1/2 inch foamy head with good retention and some nice circular lacing

Smell: A slightly muted floral presence from the hops and not much else. Pretty much a one trick pony wish it had more

Taste: Upfront the hops create a artificial fruity flavor that I am not a big fan of backend there is not much more than a malt presence

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation. Crisp and clean on the finish

Overall: This is just another east coast ipa that just doesnt stack up to some of the better examples of the style (592 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.4%

Thank you, jbravato! Kept this in the fridge for a while to slow down its aging process. Poured into a tulip glass from a 12oz bottle. Freshness date is listed at the side of the bottle's neck as "04/30/13."

Pours a golden amber color with a generous amount of carbonation. There's about 1.5 fingers worth of head that coat the top, but it quickly dissipates to a firm ring. The nucleation point in the glass is actually spewing more bubbles upwards than expected, which definitely enhances the beer's appearance. Lacing is pretty good all around, and overall, it presents itself as a slightly viscous, resinous DIPA.

The aroma is surprisingly light, containing light notes of citrus rinds, grapefruit, pine, and lots of honey underneath. Maybe a little bit of butterscotch, too, which in this situation works well. Nothing too dank going on overall... But definitely a bright citrus hoppy aroma perseveres. There's a kiss of graininess, and a faded sugary malty presence, but it's pretty uneventful. The booze is a bit too much at the finish. Could strive more balance than this, or at least be slightly more vibrant.

The flavor is about even in terms of displaying the light citrus/pine combo, but holy hell is this coated in honey and butterscotch, almost to the point of being sweetly textured and syrupy like the condiments themselves. There's a bit of lemon and grapefruit, maybe (?), but it's quickly replaced by the honey in a treacly, resinous manner. Slightly soapy, but nothing too distracting. The malts are well integrated, and indeed a bit creamy, but they themselves are rather bland. Not to dry or astringent at the finish, and goes down well with the extra carbonation and maltiness. However, where it becomes easy to drink, it simultaneously lacks balance AND complexity, and makes me wonder what the hell I'm sipping on after each gulp.

A confusing DIPA, to say the very least, but at least it's not difficult to drink or anything. It's so creamy it's almost like air! The honey/butterscotch combo, while not exceptional, is quite nice, but all of the hoppy aspects faded out somehow. Nothing feels muted or old... Only bland. Bizarre. I suppose it would do okay on a warm day, but I'd rather take a kölsch or pilsner at that point, as it has less ABV and a far more grassy/fruity texture than this. (2,324 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Many thanks to MDaschaf for the chance to taste this one. Poured from bottle into Brooklyn tulip glass. Pours an astonishingly light orange/yellow color. Lighter than most IPAs I have ever had. nice head, not much retention. Smell- light citrus, sweet bready malt. Some tropical flavors like mango. Taste- hmm. something not quite right here. The hops aren't very noticable. This bottle is about 2 months old I think, but it has barely any hops profile left. This doesn't even resemble an IPA. Maybe like a weak pale ale? Dissapointing. Highly drinkable though...not much too it. Not very complex. (597 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

When Perpetual IPA first came out last year it was awesome, a smooth and great tasting beer with an excellent hop flavor. Reminded me of Nugget Nectar when it first came out in 2004. Did a blind taste comparison with Nugget Nectar and Perpetual IPA was so much better.

I anxiously awaited the release of Perpetual IPA this year and was disappointed. Did the blind taste comparison with Nugget Nectar again and Perpetual IPA was just marginally better. (453 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured cold into a stein.

A: Liquid-gold body with small, pure-white head. Head is thin but persistent.

S: Grassy hops up front eventually giving way to citrus, sweet malt, and honey. Hop aroma got a little stronger towards the bottom and/or as it warmed.

T: Honey-like sweetness balanced by the hops. Not especially bitter: if it weren't for the smell, it would be more in Pale Ale territory.

M: Typical AIPA.

O: Somewhat sweet IPA, but not sweet enough to hurt it. (471 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.6%

S: Pineapple and mint mostly, orange peel, some mango as it warms.

L: Clear golden yellow, dense white creamy head with 1/8 inch retention. Solid lacing.

T: Bitter orange hopped malt with some clean malt sweetness. Medium high citrus bitterness with some harshness.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation.

I was expecting a lot better IPA considering the hop schedule. It's pretty well put together, but doesn't have that hop flavor that i was craving. (452 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

$5 for a 22 oz bomber at Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting, great price for a new seasonal release from Troegs.

The beer is very pale for an "IPA." It is pale amber with a ring of white foam that deposits very thin lace on the sides of my tulip. The beer smells malty like graham crackers with herbal hops. The Citra and cascade seem to be masked by the earthier Mt. Hood hops. The beer tastes very bitter with a little herbal and lime leaf hops. The finish is dry and long lasting. The MF is a little thin. Overall this is an okay beer, kind of misleading to call this an IPA. This being a fresh bottle, less than 2 weeks since bottling, it is rather disappointing considering how hoppy and flavorful Nugget Nectar is compared to this rather pallid beer. (751 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- golden pale orange, moderate carbonation, almost no head.

S- juicy hops galore, fresh tropical fruits, sugary pineapple and tangerine

T-bitter up front, malt present, dry bitter finish, the nose was very misleading

M- medium body, light carbonation, dry finish

O- loved the nose on this beer was a little let down by the taste (333 characters)

Tröegs Perpetual IPA from Tröegs Brewing Company