Tröegs Perpetual IPA - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Perpetual IPATröegs Perpetual IPA

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: thain709 on 08-11-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Perpetual IPA Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -69.4%

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.6/5  rDev -60.9%

Bottled 10/31/2012 Batch 121003
Beware of this date and batch

Appearance: straw yellow pour with a thin whitish head, from the appearance you could've thought this was your typical Troegs Perpetual IPA.

Smell: I was expecting this beer to smell the same way it always does, piney, citrusy, juicy, hoppy goodness. However, I was sadly disappointed. It almost smelled like a Belgian ale with some sort of spices. Just from the smell, I knew this batch was gonna hurt my feelings.

Mouthfeel: this part of the beer was fine. The carbonation seemed like usual.

Taste: Again, I was expecting that hoppy, piney, delicious Perpetual flavor, but I got something I couldn't even explain. It didn't provide me with the flavor I have become accustomed to from this outstanding beer. All I could taste was cloves or something strange, for what I know this IPA to normally be.

Overall: This beer could have very easily ruined my night, if I didn't have a bunch of great beers to drink after. I have come to love this beer since it started year round production, but this must be a bad batch. I hate to say negative things about this beer, but I wanted to warn others of this specific batch. I got mine at a Wegmans.

Update: Per my friend Terry, he messaged Troegs on Facebook only to find out from them that Hurricane Sandy messed up this batch of beer and made it too yeasty. Not only were they willing to acknowledge their mistake, but they told him to bring the case to the brewery to rectify the problem with an exchange. He made out fine on the deal by getting a fresh one. I only bought to bottles, so I chugged them instead.

1.92/5  rDev -53.1%

2.25/5  rDev -45%

2.32/5  rDev -43.3%

2.35/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wow. Straight up, this thang kinda smells like the ripe underbelly of a skunk - while the taste is more like an average Pale Ale at best. Not stoked, Raul ain't stoked at all. What's going on here? Raul was pumped on this Tröegs offering, but like a Hershey kiss, Raul rather leave it in the wrapper.

*Consensus: terrible attempt at a West Coast IPA.

2.48/5  rDev -39.4%

2.64/5  rDev -35.5%

2.7/5  rDev -34%

12oz bottle into Duvel artist tulip glass

A - light straw yellow. small head with large bubbles and mild lacing.

S - virtually non-existent. little to no hop aroma at all. light zestiness that reminds me more of a summer pale than an IPA.

T - better than the nose but also a slight let down. Mild hop at the front that fades quickly and finishes clean with very faint bitterness. very little similarities to most IPAs

M - very clean and refreshing. I could easily drink alot of these on a summer day...but not sure I would want to honestly.

O - unfortunately I just dont get the glowing reviews for this beer. I am usually a Troegs fan but this one fails to hit the mark. Easy to drink yes, but fails to live up to most all of the requirements for an IPA. Just meh, and barely that. I will give it another try and revise if needed. They deserve that at least.

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%