Tröegs Perpetual IPA - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Perpetual IPATröegs Perpetual IPA

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: thain709 on 08-11-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,915 | Reviews: 598

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a nice head at first and some sticky spiderweb lacing

S: Pine, citrus hops, subtle malt , not overly sweet, mild biscuit

T: Taste of subtle noble hops and a bit of pine. Malt is standard two row in flavor and a dry finish. Bitterness really comes out at the end but is well blended with the amount of malt and abv present. Some tropical fruit flavors also among the bitterness at the end

M: High level of carbonation, with a medium body

O: A very well done IPA. Clearly different from some of the IPAs that I have been drinking lately, mostly my Citra IPA, so I can definitely appreciate it more.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

a: This was a bright, clear golden copper color. It poured with a medium sized creamy head.

s: Sweet sugar cookie malts are all but washed away by fresh smelling, flowery tropical fruit hops.

t: The bottle was less than 2 weeks old, so the hops were very fresh. What a treat, amazingly complex hop flavors with surprisingly muted bitterness. Barely discernible caramel and sugar cookies for balance.

m: Very creamy overall.

o: Excellent IPA, I was thrilled to find such a fresh 6-pack.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

1.66/5  rDev -59.3%

Bottled 10/31/2012 Batch 121003
Beware of this date and batch

Appearance: straw yellow pour with a thin whitish head, from the appearance you could've thought this was your typical Troegs Perpetual IPA.

Smell: I was expecting this beer to smell the same way it always does, piney, citrusy, juicy, hoppy goodness. However, I was sadly disappointed. It almost smelled like a Belgian ale with some sort of spices. Just from the smell, I knew this batch was gonna hurt my feelings.

Mouthfeel: this part of the beer was fine. The carbonation seemed like usual.

Taste: Again, I was expecting that hoppy, piney, delicious Perpetual flavor, but I got something I couldn't even explain. It didn't provide me with the flavor I have become accustomed to from this outstanding beer. All I could taste was cloves or something strange, for what I know this IPA to normally be.

Overall: This beer could have very easily ruined my night, if I didn't have a bunch of great beers to drink after. I have come to love this beer since it started year round production, but this must be a bad batch. I hate to say negative things about this beer, but I wanted to warn others of this specific batch. I got mine at a Wegmans.

Update: Per my friend Terry, he messaged Troegs on Facebook only to find out from them that Hurricane Sandy messed up this batch of beer and made it too yeasty. Not only were they willing to acknowledge their mistake, but they told him to bring the case to the brewery to rectify the problem with an exchange. He made out fine on the deal by getting a fresh one. I only bought to bottles, so I chugged them instead.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

This is not your typical IPA. Very floral in a gentle sort of way. The spices from hops are an accent, and not the main feature. Citrus tones are also there as a very mild background feature. This is nice. Easy to drink and refreshing. If it were't 45 degrees outside and it was a blistering hot day outside, I think I'd enjoy this even more.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Clear golden body with some faint amber. Big frothy off-white head that leaves a lot of lacing.

S- Pine, citrus, slight tropical fruit note, sweet malt, slight bready aroma.

T- Nice crisp hop taste, a good mix of pine with some citrus. Solid malt backbone balances out the overall flavor.

M- Crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, extremely drinkable.

O- Great everyday IPA. Full of flavor and not over the top.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tröegs Perpetual IPA from Tröegs Brewing Company