2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Scratch Beer 49 - 2011 (Fresh Hop Ale) - Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 49 - 2011 (Fresh Hop Ale)Scratch Beer 49 - 2011 (Fresh Hop Ale)

good

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

As the codename implies, the main flavor in Scratch #49 is 100 pounds of fresh Citra hops. This year’s Oregon hop harvest took place in mid-September and we received the freshest, wettest Citra hops right off the vine. Opening the boxes of fresh hops, we were blown away at the strength and color of this Oregonian green gold. Our hopback was not large enough to accommodate all the hops so we added them to the lauter tun and ran the hot wort through the hops. Pouring a cloudy gold-orange color, Scratch #49 yields an arresting blend of ripe peach aroma with just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness imparted by the honey. Kettle additions of Amarillo and Palisade hops nicely complement the fresh hops. As this beer is a celebration of hops at their freshest, drink this one as soon as possible for maximum enjoyment.

(Beer added by: Tucquan on 10-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 49 | Reviews: 32 | Show All Ratings:
Bmoyer0301

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Picked up two six packs and a draft of this while at the Harrisburg farewell party.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy golden lemon with touches of straw and hay thrown in. On the pour I decided to use my Brooklyn brewery sniffer and poured straight on trying to entice a nice head. When I was done a crisp bone white head about one finger thick laid on the top of this sunny ale.

Smell:

Hmm there are a lot of hops here but they are reminding me more of vegetable stalks an leaves versus the sticky sweet cones. Lots of bitter notes like pine and and burnt tree sap. Some light biscuit
notes and a touch of honey like sweetness linger through all the punchy hops.

Taste:

Man, I love Troegs and I support everything they do bit this one is falling short in my opinion. Right off the start there is a huge vegetable spike followed by a wave of unbalanced bitterness that comes off harsh. There are some positive notes I do like though and that's the malt, which is like having fresh Italian bread. Some sweetness rounds out the bitterness but all and all this is just really harsh. Last year when they did the fresh hop beer (35?) I was doing backflips over it and I know it's bad to try and compare this year to last but I can't help myself.

Mouthfeel:

Flavor aside, the carbonation is perfect an pickles your taste Ida on every sip. Nice and dry...which when it comes to IPA's I love it.

Drinkability:

I wish I had more time to try the cask version becuase I bet that was much better. All in all though this one wasn't my favorite, and that's just my opinion. Thanks Troegs for many great years in Harrisburg and I know you guys will kill it at Hershey!

10-07-2011 23:03:51 | More by Bmoyer0301
russwbeck

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Semi-hazy yellow pour with a nice white head. Lacing and retention are decent and a few bubbles are noted raising to the top of my Mad Elf tulip.

S: The aroma is all about the fruitiness of the hops, instead of the bitterness. Citrus, mango, and sadly some soap mix with slight pine to create an interesting smell I wasn't quite expecting.

T: Well I was hoping I was wrong when I smelled soap...but it comes out on the taste too. Tropical fruits, citrus, and lemon all seem to come together nicely, if only the soap was replaced with bitter hops.

MF: Light body, carbonated well, nice bitter finish.

O: Not that great, I had really high hopes for this one and it sort of let me down. Just a weird taste.

12-30-2011 23:17:06 | More by russwbeck
stakem

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Picked up as fresh as can be, directly off the bottling line during the last day that the Harrisburg tasting room was open on Friday, 8/7. This brew appears a super hazy color caught between yellow and gold. A finger of yellowish stained froth sits atop the brew and quickly dissolves holding across the top with some larger beads of carbonation. Some finger patterns of lace cling to the glass and a light swirl agitates some bubbles from solution back to the surface.

The smell of this brew is juicy with hop character initially. However, underneath is some funky yeast character of fruit that seems a bit off. It smells like cantaloupe mixed with some other almost over-ripe to rotten mellon character and pears. As the brew warms up, it picks up a scent of cooked vegetables almost like celery and grass. There is an overall familiar aspect to this brew's nose that reminds me of their scratch IPAs (37-40) that I just didn't totally dig. The fresh hop inclusion somewhat hides it, but there is no way of ignoring it.

The taste of this brew includes mellon fruits like cantaloupe that lasts inside the mouth, more sips bring forth a flavor of bitters with a hint of pear, grass and herbal elements. At times there is quite a bit of vegetative flavoring mixed with a yeastiness that is reminiscent of previous IPA attempts in the scratch lineup. I don't know if this is just a case of bad yeast or maybe they just went over the top with too much wet hopping or the hops weren't as fresh as advertised? Regardless, it doesn't strike me as being a citra-forward offering with the bright hoppy character you would expect from a fresh hopped offering.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The alcohol increases in awareness with a warmth down the back of the throat as the brew comes up to temperature. All in all, this wasn't a horrible offering but it certainly wasn't at all what I was expecting. Perhaps I was setting myself up for disaster praying for a reincarnation of the beauty that was Scratch 35. There seems to be a bit of off-character to this one and it was a bit of a disappointment.

10-10-2011 23:38:11 | More by stakem
mikereaser

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a light orange with just a thin layer of bubbles that settled to a ring around the glass, just a bit of lacing
S - the aroma is not very enticing, it has a vegetable, cardboard smell.
T - again, the flavor is a bit off-putting. bitter grassy flavor with just hints of some citrus, some spice too. i'm more reminded of an orange rind or pith than citrus. Not very enjoyable at all.
M - good carbonation, medium bodied but the finish reminds me of what the stringy part of an orange tastes like
D - Its not completely horrible, but just not what I think of for a fresh hop ale. I'll give it another try and hope for the best.

10-12-2011 04:10:51 | More by mikereaser
maximum12

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to stormking47 for this extra in a recent trade.

12 oz. bottle slips without muss into a pint glass. Beer is pale to the extreme, barely nodding towards yellow. Nose is very nice, plenty of juicy fruit, wavy grain. Held back a little as it warms, just a hint of Jolly Green Giant Mix Pack, too. One penalty point for that.

Scratch Beer #49 isn't as good a few of the other IPAs in this series that I've really enjoyed; the frozen vegetable aisle doesn't mix well with fresh hops. Starts out with a nice, bitter, citrusy kick, with lovely orange squeezies, too. But as you shift into second, the cream corn wends its way into the banquet. As it warms, the veggies get more pronounced, along with helpings of grains & slightly dank grasses, along with a spicy tang in the afterlife. One is left with the impression of an IPA that stepped off the path in Mirkwood & came back...changed.

I find myself feeling very little towards this beer. Not terrible, but I can taste up front what this beer might have been, & it makes me sigh. Scraping the dismal underbelly of mediocre.

11-09-2011 03:14:00 | More by maximum12
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a cloudy gold with minimal head and absolutely no retention.

Smell is very unique. Huge scent of mango sweetness and fresh cut grass.

Taste doesn't follow well. A bit of mango up front, but nothing like the smell would indicate. Quickly fades into a grassy earthy somewhat unpleasant bitterness. Finishes supremely bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel is a tad on the light side, but not horrible. Carbonation good.

Usually love Troegs, but this doesn't do it for me. Flavors clash and it's way out of balance. I was expecting much more after the terrific smell.

10-21-2011 20:42:06 | More by jmarsh123
yeahnatenelson

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

Thanks for the hand-off, Justin!

Appearance -- Pours a hazed peach hue with a very slim fizzy head. Looks more like a Berliner Weisse or Wit than an IPA.

Smell -- Not terribly aromatic. Dry husky malt, peachy Citra-like aroma, pithy bitterness. Could be an IPA, could be a Cream Ale.

Taste -- Slightly better. Again, this drinks more like a hoppy Cream Ale or perhaps a blonde: pils malt, husky grain, cane sugar sweetness, peach- and apricot-like hop flavor, dry grass, and a bit of pithy bitterness. Tasty, but doesn't scratch that hop itch. Long finish of peach, pilsner malt, and dried grass.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with low but crisp carbonation. Doesn't quite fit the style. Again, more like a Berliner or Wit.

Overall -- Wish I liked this more. Perhaps the bloom of this flower has come and gone. Even though, there was still a lot *off* with this one. I expect more from Tröegs, to be honest, especially with their run of Scratch IPA's earlier this year and Perpetual.

Got one more bottle, will amend review if the bottle reviewed above turned out to be a dud.

10-28-2011 02:12:48 | More by yeahnatenelson