2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Scratch Beer 49 - 2011 (Fresh Hop Ale) - Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 49 - 2011 (Fresh Hop Ale)Scratch Beer 49 - 2011 (Fresh Hop Ale)

good

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

As the codename implies, the main flavor in Scratch #49 is 100 pounds of fresh Citra hops. This year’s Oregon hop harvest took place in mid-September and we received the freshest, wettest Citra hops right off the vine. Opening the boxes of fresh hops, we were blown away at the strength and color of this Oregonian green gold. Our hopback was not large enough to accommodate all the hops so we added them to the lauter tun and ran the hot wort through the hops. Pouring a cloudy gold-orange color, Scratch #49 yields an arresting blend of ripe peach aroma with just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness imparted by the honey. Kettle additions of Amarillo and Palisade hops nicely complement the fresh hops. As this beer is a celebration of hops at their freshest, drink this one as soon as possible for maximum enjoyment.

(Beer added by: Tucquan on 10-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 49 | Reviews: 32 | Show All Ratings:
bonkers

I poured froma 12 ounce bottle into a SA perfect pint glass, light orange pour, good head, light lacing. The aroma is sweet oranges, light pine. The beer is sweet for an IPA, lots of juicy oranges, slightly bitter finish. The body is medium, above average carbonation. This beer is much better at room temp, when it is chilled the flavors are muted.

10-13-2011 23:25:23 | More by bonkers
mikereaser

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a light orange with just a thin layer of bubbles that settled to a ring around the glass, just a bit of lacing
S - the aroma is not very enticing, it has a vegetable, cardboard smell.
T - again, the flavor is a bit off-putting. bitter grassy flavor with just hints of some citrus, some spice too. i'm more reminded of an orange rind or pith than citrus. Not very enjoyable at all.
M - good carbonation, medium bodied but the finish reminds me of what the stringy part of an orange tastes like
D - Its not completely horrible, but just not what I think of for a fresh hop ale. I'll give it another try and hope for the best.

10-12-2011 04:10:51 | More by mikereaser
Slatetank

3.93/5  rDev +8%

I picked up some bottles to share with tenderbranson69, enjoyed chilled from a willybecker.

The color is golden hued with a slightly hazed translucent clarity, the pale white cap comes and goes, slight stringy lace sticks. The smell is very fruity, mildly citrus and somewhat vegetal with a mild unripe mango aroma with subtle floral note from the honey. The feel is slightly resinous, slightly bitter with mild body and moderate carbonation and high astringency level, the feel is gently sweet and oily in the finish.

The taste has some very tannic elements with a hint of fruit but more spice and grapefruit tangy aspects than lemon or pineapple with more of a grassy, slightly peppery element. There is a mild fruit which hints at tropical with the honey only mildly apparent with some bitter tea tastes coming forward toward the end. I get too much bitterness from the hops with only a mild wet hop element, the late hops seem to be overpowered by the bittering additions and the alcohol is a little too boisterous too. I get the wheat and honey in the taste, but not as clear of fresh as on tap. The flavors start very well, but the delicate floral notes hinted at in the nose seem to get lost in the spicy and bitter flavors. Overall I would say this is good and drinkable, just lacks a little bit in the hop department and seems overly bitter and warm as it finishes, I just preferred the tap version I guess.

10-12-2011 00:00:09 | More by Slatetank
DanJan

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a muddled dark yellow/light gold. Not an appetizing color. Solid finger of head that lingers slightly before all but disappearing. Faint lacing.

S - At first this beer smells awesome! You think it'll be tremendous but on the back end you get a whiff of something that isn't right. I was very excited about the use of fresh hops and while you can certainly sense them, they aren't the only thing there.

T - I was very surprised that this beer didn't taste better with the advertisement of the fresh hops. Maybe I was making out this ingredient to be more than it is but a lot of West Coast breweries seem to swear by it. Some bitterness but it's not really backed up with a strong/enjoyable flavor. Definitely not as hoppy as I would want or expect.

M - Some carbonation. Tingles a little bit but in a good way. Doesn't linger on the tongue long but does have some aftertaste.

O - I wanted more from this beer and was kinda let down. If it was just labeled as a ho-hum IPA I would have liked it a little more.

Serving type: growler

10-11-2011 01:41:40 | More by DanJan
stakem

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Picked up as fresh as can be, directly off the bottling line during the last day that the Harrisburg tasting room was open on Friday, 8/7. This brew appears a super hazy color caught between yellow and gold. A finger of yellowish stained froth sits atop the brew and quickly dissolves holding across the top with some larger beads of carbonation. Some finger patterns of lace cling to the glass and a light swirl agitates some bubbles from solution back to the surface.

The smell of this brew is juicy with hop character initially. However, underneath is some funky yeast character of fruit that seems a bit off. It smells like cantaloupe mixed with some other almost over-ripe to rotten mellon character and pears. As the brew warms up, it picks up a scent of cooked vegetables almost like celery and grass. There is an overall familiar aspect to this brew's nose that reminds me of their scratch IPAs (37-40) that I just didn't totally dig. The fresh hop inclusion somewhat hides it, but there is no way of ignoring it.

The taste of this brew includes mellon fruits like cantaloupe that lasts inside the mouth, more sips bring forth a flavor of bitters with a hint of pear, grass and herbal elements. At times there is quite a bit of vegetative flavoring mixed with a yeastiness that is reminiscent of previous IPA attempts in the scratch lineup. I don't know if this is just a case of bad yeast or maybe they just went over the top with too much wet hopping or the hops weren't as fresh as advertised? Regardless, it doesn't strike me as being a citra-forward offering with the bright hoppy character you would expect from a fresh hopped offering.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The alcohol increases in awareness with a warmth down the back of the throat as the brew comes up to temperature. All in all, this wasn't a horrible offering but it certainly wasn't at all what I was expecting. Perhaps I was setting myself up for disaster praying for a reincarnation of the beauty that was Scratch 35. There seems to be a bit of off-character to this one and it was a bit of a disappointment.

10-10-2011 23:38:11 | More by stakem
Bmoyer0301

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Picked up two six packs and a draft of this while at the Harrisburg farewell party.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy golden lemon with touches of straw and hay thrown in. On the pour I decided to use my Brooklyn brewery sniffer and poured straight on trying to entice a nice head. When I was done a crisp bone white head about one finger thick laid on the top of this sunny ale.

Smell:

Hmm there are a lot of hops here but they are reminding me more of vegetable stalks an leaves versus the sticky sweet cones. Lots of bitter notes like pine and and burnt tree sap. Some light biscuit
notes and a touch of honey like sweetness linger through all the punchy hops.

Taste:

Man, I love Troegs and I support everything they do bit this one is falling short in my opinion. Right off the start there is a huge vegetable spike followed by a wave of unbalanced bitterness that comes off harsh. There are some positive notes I do like though and that's the malt, which is like having fresh Italian bread. Some sweetness rounds out the bitterness but all and all this is just really harsh. Last year when they did the fresh hop beer (35?) I was doing backflips over it and I know it's bad to try and compare this year to last but I can't help myself.

Mouthfeel:

Flavor aside, the carbonation is perfect an pickles your taste Ida on every sip. Nice and dry...which when it comes to IPA's I love it.

Drinkability:

I wish I had more time to try the cask version becuase I bet that was much better. All in all though this one wasn't my favorite, and that's just my opinion. Thanks Troegs for many great years in Harrisburg and I know you guys will kill it at Hershey!

10-07-2011 23:03:51 | More by Bmoyer0301
Tucquan

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on 2011-10-07 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy gold with a 1.5-finger white head that fades quickly very good lacing

S - Peaches and more peaches with a little hop floral, malt and honey.

T - Initially, lots of peach, undefined lemon/orange/grapefruit citrus, then honey followed by the starfruit citrus and tangelo flavor and some zesty bitterness. The long-lasting aftertaste is citric, bitter, astringent and mildly sour. I notice the alcohol more from the bottle than I did on-tap. It definitely scrubs the tastebuds.

M - Medium body and carbonation. A little resinous and prickly.

O - I like the assertive flavors of the starfruit citrus and cutting bitterness after what starts as sweetish-peach. It's quite the contrast. It was as good from the bottle as on-tap; not surprisingly since it was just bottled today.

10-07-2011 21:13:29 | More by Tucquan