Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,192 | Hads: 3,591
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Heard about this one and had to give it a try. Pours our a bright red color and you can definitely taste a strong bite of cherry. Have always been a fan of mad elf. Nice strong beer with no bad aftertaste. Always willing to spend the extra buck to get it so I can casually have one now and then. Quality brew and not one you rapidly drink. (339 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz. bottle into glass tulip.
40°F

Received in a trade.

A: Beautiful bright deep copper to red body topped with a thin tan head that quickly dissipates leaving behind only a ring of bubbles. Pretty standard for the style.

S: A Belgian yeast strain that I definitely recognize produces fruity esters that mingle with a potent cherry aroma. Very light alcohol scent and notable sweetness.

T: Sweet malt forward flavor dominated by dark red fruit compliments of a cherry infusion and some yeast play. Slightly spicing on the back end. The 11% alcohol content is well hidden.

M: Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Light carbonic bite, and distinct smoothness throughout resulting from noticeable residual sugar.

D: A bit too sweet to drink alone, but would be mighty good with a meal in moderation. Goes down smooth overall.

O: Respectable, but not great. I'd consider buying it again if the price was right. (925 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy, deep red color. Looks like it wants to be a brownish red or rust color but every way I look at it, including holding it up to light, it's red. The thinnest of an off white head shows up and its gone almost instantly.

Smell is of ripe, dark fruit up front. Think cherries more than raisins or plums. The ripe fruit aroma is followed by a slight sweetness. The smallest amount of alcohol is detected at the end.

Taste is surprisingly sweet. The fruit flavors are still there but there is a sweetness that seems to ride underneath the rest of the flavors. Sweet up front with a fruity taste in the middle. Finishes mellow with an almost honey and sugar flavor. Sugar isn't the dark/brown sugar that is consistent with the style. As with the nose, the slightest hint of alcohol comes through in the finish.

Smoother mouthfeel due to a medium body and low carbonation. Beer really is smooth all the way through and finishes even smoother with the honey at the end.

Drinability is ok. At 11% ABV a 12oz bottle is enough. However, even if I was to move on to another one it would be something else. (1,145 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

A- This beer can achieve a nice big head but it can't support it for long. The result is that there is no lacing on my glass. The color of the beer is the best thing about the appearance. Its a nice vibrant, poinsettia red that is mostly clear.

S- Sweet cherries dominate with an overcoating of Belgo style yeast esters. Spiciness is nice but a little bit more would still be appropriate. I'm getting scents of cinnamon rolls, apple pie, nutmeg and vanilla.

T- This is a very sweet beer, a Tad sweeter than I expected or wanted. Lots of sweet cherries, vanilla, apple pie. I would have liked a touch more Christmas type spices to break up the sweetness.

M- Very very low on carbonation. It makes it seem that not all of this beer ever leaves the palate, creating a slick afterfeel. (784 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

No frills yet not bad either. Lots of cherry flavor and holiday cheer. Good seasonal brew to look forward to. No head what so ever though. No pun intended. Will look forward to this delivery each season, but not one of the best from Troegs though. Do not let that discourage you from trying it. It is still a good ale. (318 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -14.8%

Bought a six-pack for $13.99 at the Total Wine & More in McLean...

A: This beer looks great. I poured it relatively fast to develop a larger head, but it didn't really take. The beer seemed a little flat, with small amounts of lacing. The rich red color is fantastic...I couldn't wait to take a sip.

S: A rush of malty sweetness, faint hint of hops, but the cherry/honey in the brew gives off reminders of a cold weather medicine (maybe a lozenge or something...). Slightly oily on the nose, and a mild burn from the alcohol. I figured it might be around 10% -- 11% isn't too far out of the realm.

T&M: Excellent carbonation and creaminess -- the beer really fills your mouth, and engages the palate. The cherries hit about midway through the palate. Little to no hops, but the alcohol does the job of cutting the sweet aroma. A lot drier than I anticipated, and much more flavorful too. A nice tart cherry finish.

Overall I really like this beer. I don't want to drink two in a row, but perhaps with a nice dessert, it would be most welcome. Definitely a little too warm out for a beer of this magnitude -- on a cold winter day by a fire, and I think this beer would come alive. Highly recommended, especially given how much complexity this beer brewed with fruit really has. (1,280 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours amber red with a decent amount of head that dissipates quickly. Smells really strongly of cherries and spice. Honestly... Doesn't smell that good. Tastes spicy and a bit tart/sour. Its got a lot of yeasty tastes to it too... It has a solid mouthfeel and is fairly drinkable but it doesn't really do that much for me. (322 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance:

Poured into a standard snifter at O'Riley's pub in Harrisburg. Very Thin bright white head that is fading very quickly as I write. When I hold it up to the light appears to be crystal clear ruby red/ pinkish with absolutely no haze or yeast chunk. Very Very pretty looking. As I give a little swirl I notice the viscosity is pretty heavy but not quite syrupy.

Smell:

Right off the start I am pulling out the cherries, black licorice, sugar honey like sweetness, some medicinal notes that remind of of some cough drops or children cherry cough syrup. Maybe some menthol ? There is some heat alcohol in the finish.

Taste:

Bright honey sweetness, cherries and yeasty phenolic funk are the front and center stage here. Some sour apples, cloves, bananas and absolutely no hops to mention of. This is sweet but not cloyingly overdone. As I keep going cider notes are coming through and I hate to say this maybe pencil shavings?

Drinkability:

I LOVE Troegs but this is one of those beers that never does it for me. I usually have one or two a year just to see how the batch came out and I really should try aging some. I might have better results. Good beer, just not for me for 12% it drinks dangerously smooth. (1,225 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From notes, 1/28/11. Bottle. This beer is a bit of a sweet mess. It certainly drinks smoother than its 11% abv, but that’s the best thing about it. It pours a very red amber color with a small off-white head. The aroma is sugar cane, cherries, honey and some fruity Belgian yeast notes. The taste is sweet with a somewhat cloyingly sweet finish. It’s just a bit of a mess. The flavors don’t really clash, but it’s cloying upon cloying. It’s actually a lot like what I imagine an elf would drink, a sort of fruity beer nectar. Mouthfeel is sticky but otherwise fine. I’m being a bit harsh, but it’s just too over-the-top for me. Lots of sweet flavors in this one. (676 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Light reddish brown, I expected it to be pinkish red! No head. Cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, rhubarb, grapes and pomegranate sweet fruity vinous aroma. Earthy and caramel undertones. Mild vodka is noticeable in mouth. Caramelic sweettarts, apples, vinous grapes, cinnamon and tart fruits on the tongue. Rather thin bodied unfortunately, low carbonation. A beer that is hard to interpret well, this could be a spicy cooler for all I know, but it’s not without pleasure to sip. Fun to brew I guess, but a bit expensive for what it is. I wouldn’t try more than once anyway. Thanks you Mr Weizen. (590 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15%

A- Dark red with a small white cap. Head retention is pretty low and only a tiny bit of lace stays behind.

S- Mostly has a Belgian spice, like cardamom/coriander feel to it. Definitely a bit of dark fruit vibe from the cherries. Surprisingly faint to me. Some pine.

T- Interesting. Starts with a big blast of strong, dark fruit. The finish brings a good deal of yeast spice notes (coriander, zest) with that fruit. The cherry and yeast are very strong flavors and some alcohol comes through as well. Clove and banana really become huge as it warms.

MF- Moderate body with high, palate-stinging carbonation. A bit of a creamy feel to it. Pretty damn hot from the high ABV. A bit of a burn in the back of the throat.

DB- The flavor to me is a decent mix of dark cherry and strong Belgian yeast spice. The high ABV makes this a one bottle deal for me, a sipper. (862 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15%

12oz bottle poured into a sifter.

A - Deep ruby red coloration. Produced a fingertip's worth of froth that stuck around for a bit, then faded out into a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing.

S - Hmmm, cherry and citric acid. A bit pungent for my tastes. Alcohol also shows up here.

T - Quite hideous chilled, but once it had time to breathe and reach room temperature, some flavors actually came through. Cold it tastes like citric acid, but as it warmed more of the spices came through, as well as the cherry flavor. Not bad, but not great either.

M - Medium body, warming from the abv, low carbonation, pretty smooth on the palate.

D - Okay I suppose, although I wasn't too impressed. I think I just bought into the hype a bit much, which one should never do. I doubt I'll seek another out, though I wouldn't turn one down if offred. Maybe cherries just don't belong in my beer. Recommended if that's your thing. (920 characters)

2009 Vintage Keg on-tap at Hudson Street Stackhouse 1/18/11

A - Clear ruby, almost no head nor lacing.

S - Sour cherry.

T - Cherry, bread, belgian yeast, and other wierd but welcomed flavours that I couldn't sort out.

M - Thick, slightly syrupy, low carbonation.

D - The alcohol was hidden very well, but the sweetness got to me a bit more than I would have liked. (369 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into a Darkness tulip on 6/10/11.

Pours a dark amber with a nice size off white head that dissipates very quickly leaving no lacing. Head was gone in an instant lots of bubbling carb head.

Smells of some kind of fruit but if cherry is a faint after smell. I also smell carmel and roasted malts.

Taste is of booze, a little bit of cherries, and some malts. Not much to say about this beer. I had high hopes but...

Mouthfeel is moderate in weight and not bite at all. Again I had hoped for some more then just a fruity aftertaste.

Overall I am really unimpressed with this brew. I had heard great things but... Yeah one and done on this brew for me. No taste complexity, weak smell, and I just can't get what the big deal is about this brew. Pass. (757 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass. Allowed to warm up to about cellar temperature.

A- There appeared to be an instant color change during the pour. Initially it appeared to come out slightly light and golden but then became ruby red upon the completion of the pour. The head was very thin and quickly dissipated after the pour.

S- instant smell of sour cherries and a sweetness possibly attributed to the honey. Also hints of spice or cloves can be detected.

T- The taste is sweet with some hints of the sour cherry and the spice from the yeast. Not overly sweet though. The alcohol is present at 11% but not overwhelming.

M- Decent carbonation, a bit dry on the finish.

D- Overall a good holiday beer. Definitely good to drink during the cold months. Not overwhelming with the alcohol and not too sweet for my palate. Would definitely get again. (860 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

Reddish colored and pretty clear, zero head and essentially zero lacing.

Smells sweet and spicey, cinnamon notable, cherries also notable.

Taste is very powerful, tons of fruitiness, cherries and figs, plums, herbal and earthy notes, very noticeable alcohol.

Finish is dry and tart, body is slick and syrupy, almost a bit sticky.

I'm not super impressed with this one. A nice one off but not my favorite in the style by any stretch. (437 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Many thanks to mjtiernan for sending me this one. He is an honorable man indeed, we had a bet over the Texans vs Cincy playoffs (Abyss vs Parabola) and in addition to the agreed upon Parabola, he threw this and Goose Island Black Out Stout in the package. I'll certainly be trading with Matt in the near future. Now to get to the review. Poured from bottle into Victory tulip glass. Pours a crystal clear amber color. No head at all to speak of and tons of alcohol legs. Smell- booze! raisins, prunes, cherries, brown sugar, burnt creme brule. Taste- BOOZY! raisins, dark cherries, very strong alcohol phenols. Some bitter notes on the end, but this one is a dark fruit boozy bomb. Just really not much else there. Mouthfeel- very little carbonation at all. The booze dominates.

Glad to have tried this, but it is just a little bit too boozy for my liking and lacks complexity. (879 characters)

Mad Elf Troeg Brewery
12 oz bottle in Goblet at 50 degrees F

Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed with honey and cherries.

Appearance: Clear copper brew with above average and steady stream of carbonation. Head pours bubbly light beige but dissipates rapidly to leave stable ring around glass. Simply head is weak for Belgian ale. Color is on lighter side for style and gas is perfect. (3.0)

Smell: Dark fruit, honey sweetness, and spiciness dominate the nose. Fragrant banana like esters are just beneath the surface buoying the other scents into the air. Some malt sweetness similar to Munich also is detectable. Some warm alcohol notes as well. The aroma is pleasant and well done but not insanely complex or bizarre. I’m not impressed by the cherries contribution to the aroma. (3.0)

Taste: A fair dark fruit and malt sweetness initially with additional sweetness of honey. The cherry flavor or tartness is undetectable. The alcohol warmth is perfect for a cold fall day, but the taste is not that gentle on the palate. The spiciness from phenols produced by the Belgian yeast could be more expressive but is present. Lastly the finishing hops clear the tongue nicely. Overall, average for style in general, but very good for an American interpretation. (3.0)

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body than I anticipated. I think this is appropriate for a Belgian Ales which typically have a discrepancy between the alcohol content and the body of the beer thanks to adjuncts like honey and candi. Carbonation is great for style. The carbonation even has that gentle carbonation common to Belgian styles which doesn’t cause one to belch too much. (4.5)

Drinkability: Fairly quaffable at 11% ABV. Not heavy or overly sweat. In fact, not too filling despite above average gas content. My only complaint is that the beer does not exceed my expectations of a superb Belgian Strong Dark Ale or some of the ratings on Beer Advocate (3.5) (1,922 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

*thanks to stephenjmoore for the extra!*
12.oz bottle -- 2011 vintage -- served into a tulip glass

Pours a sort of burnt copper color. Not at all "ruby red" like the label claims. Lots of clarity to the body. There was about a finger of buttermilk colored head at first, but it quickly dissipates to a tiny ring. Not really any lacing.

This is a strange beer because the severity of my smells gives me a different profile. If I lightly take in air through my nose, then Mad Elf gives off notes of cherry pie, flower petals, and sugarplum (Seriously. Though they aren't dancing in my head or anything). But a full-on deep sniff is way more earthy and yeasty: lots of botanical notes and lots of clove. There's a bit of an oxidized character to the nose too. I wish the two dynamics would come together more seamlessly.

The flavor is very fruity upfront. There's dark cherry for sure, along with the more figs-and-dates dark fruits that you expect from a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Lots of sweetness. The yeast gives off lots of clove and, like, a flavor that reminds me of the aftertaste of a dish that uses allspice. The yeast helps to balance the sweetness. The finish is the most surprising aspect of this beer. It quickly goes from being fruity and yeasty to a more dry, amber malt-based flavor. This is an amber malt flavor that I want to say I've tasted in other Troegs beers before, but I might only be thinking of Nugget Nectar. But yeah, the finish on Mad Elf is very much like an Amber Ale to me. In fact, this beer is in some respects like an Imperial Amber or something, just with a Belgian yeast strain.

The mouthfeel is pretty light for all of the fruitiness. I realize that the yeast is contributing to the relatively dry finish, so the mouthfeel is accomplishing some positive things. Overall, this is a different take on the style. I appreciate it, but it's not really my thing. (1,897 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Minor head to start that quickly settles to rim bubbles only. No lasting lace whatsoever. The color is deep amber, almost brown. Crystal clear.

Smells of Belgian yeast. Sweet aroma of honey. Some spice that reminds me of oregano. Complex and interesting. Light alcohol warmth.

Cloyingly sweet. Very, very rich body. The carbonation seems quite low. Strong alcohol presence in the swallow and the brief aftertaste--the potency of this beer is very evident. The yeast flavor is more muted than the smell would suggest.

Although the smell might indicate complexity, the taste does not follow through. (600 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

A- Pours a ruby red color with a thin white foam head. Not much lace left behind.

S- Plenty of cherries in the nose with lots of sweetness and dark fruits. A tiny bit of Belgian 'funk' aroma as well.

T- Lots of sweet malt flavor initially with some honey and caramel. The cherry flavor is a bit medicinal and the high alcohol creates a brash finish. I expected a bit more out of this one in terms of flavor.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation. Boozy and harsh with an astringent feel.

D- Not a bad beer necessarily, but I had much higher hopes for this one. (563 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

This beer pours a transparent red with quarter inch of fizzy head that dissipated quickly.

Smells of cherries,honey and spicy yeast.

The taste is very sweet honey fruity with alcohol warmth and a slightly fruity aftertaste.

Feels very fizzy, highly carbonated, warm. Almost wine like.

Overall its a nice change of pace. It is a little sweet for my taste, and I'm not sure if I would pick this one up again. Maybe just a single. (431 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

A brown body with ruby highlights and a tan head that leaves just a little bit of lacing.

Smells of ripe fruits and honey with some peppery belgian yeastiness.

Taste is definitely dominated by honey and cherries. A little too sweet for me. Some nice belgian malt and yeastiness though. Hides the 11% ABV pretty well though. Mouthfeel is medium.

Too sweet to be really drinkable to me. (387 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into a pint glass with a small head that disappeared almost immediatly.

Nice red orange color, nothing about the small is overwhelming, just a brief whiff of hops.

First mouthful is tart, might be the carbonation, medium mouthfeel, no hint of hotness from the whopping 11% ABV.Very crisp, good balance, I would think this beer would smooth out and more flavors will come out with ageing.

Just a hint of honey and cherries, but obviously they were the big reason the ABV is high as it's not a malt monster of a beer. It's kinda wierd the ABV is high and the beer is not dark at all.

Very drinkable - very warming - 3 beers and I wouldn't recommend driving! I was hoping I'd like it more, but it's ok. The more I drink, the more I like. It reminds me of a barleywine more than anything else. (801 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

Clear amber body on a collerish white head.

Fruity nose.

Cherries. Dry finish. Boozy, but what do you expect from an 11% Belgian?

Carbonated, thin-medium mouthfeel. Little disappointing.

Ah it was alright, disappointing. Everything but the nose was less than I was hoping for. Thanks TATURBO. (296 characters)

Tröegs Mad Elf from Tröegs Brewing Company