Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,192 | Hads: 3,590
3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Crystal clear and deep ruby red in color with some amber highlights; thin white head forms with excellent lacing.

S: Spicy Belgian yeast up front with sweet cherry notes right behind. Slightly floral and overall aromatic and cheery. Biscuity, caramelly malt in there as well.

T: Mad Elf is sweet with Belgian spice and juicy cherry flavor dominating. Sweet toasty malt flavor in the middle. Belgian candied cherry character lingers on the palate with mild to no bitterness. Finishes spicy-sweet as a hot alcohol note warms the tongue.

M: Body is medium-full and very creamy. This is where it really hits the mark. Lightly carbonated, slick and chewy, but not syrupy.

O: ABV is hidden well; highly drinkable for the booze content. A great American holiday adaptation of a Belgian style. I always come back to this one year after year. (841 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

This one was a real eye opener for me, not at all what I expected. It pours a nice clear brown, slight amber. One finger cream head. Light nose, not nearly what I expected from an 11% brew. The kick was well hidden.

The taste was exceptionally smooth and not overly pince coney or spicey, probably a bit more tame than I would have hoped for. All in all, a very nice beer but one that you can drink far too much of far too quickly, so be careful. (449 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Tried this one on the advise of a friend who likes yet another Troegs brew, Trogenator. I've had the Trogenator before and I though it was a bit heavy and on the syrupy side. Not at all what I'd call a session beer.
Now, while I absolutley love high abv Belgian Darks, I have to admit that I was a bit let down here. The Elf is dark, the appearance looks wonderful and the smell hints of spices of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Albiet faintly, but they are there. From that alone I was thinking that this was going to be a treat. Alas, the mouthfeel was clean , but the taste seemed to be missing the spices. The alcholol wasn't that pronounced, which was good, but something was lacking overall. From the nose I'd be thinking of something Belgian. However, the aftertaste assures me that this is an imitation. All of that combined made me glad that I had crossed paths with this one at a local pub. I had almost purchased a case, ( Archaic Pa. LCB Law), prior to finding this one bottle. For the abv content the case cost was rather low. I should have known something was up. While the Elf is a far cry from being the worst, it's an even a further cry from being the best. A nice try by the Harrisburg brewers but, I wouldn't stick my neck out for this one. (1,266 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into snifter galss with 2 finger foam head with no lacing.

A. reddish orange

S. smells of cherry , honey, and spices

T. Cherry and alcohol are the prominent taste in this one. slight honey in front. Alcohol more prominent in the back end of the elf.

M. Eh... Nothing too impressive for the mouthfeel. maybe because it's a bit of an overload on the palate.

D. for an 11% ABV, the drinkability is rather good, smooth til the end, and then the alcohol starts to really come through. (491 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance- hazy dark gold, no head to speak of...

Smell- sweet caramel, honey, and grapes. There citrus notes, but they are faint.

Taste- cherries are very dominant. Alcohol is present. Very potent.

Mouthfeel-light body with little carbonation

Drinkability-too strong for me to even finish this bomber. (307 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

Mad Elf Review

I picked up a case of the elusive Mad Elf the weekend before the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm now down to my last two, less the six pack I'm cellaring for next year, and figured it's time to put finger to keyboard and write a few words. I poured a 12 oz. bottle into my crystal snifter with enough force to create a nice inch thick head. It quickly dissipated, and left a nice bubbly ring around the inside of the glass. The aroma was heavenly; the bold richness of a strong Belgium dark ale with dates and figs, mixed with the tart sweetness of cherries and honey. Upon first taste there is a detection of dark fruits, such as dates, raisins, and figs. Afterwards the sweetness of the honey and the cherries tartness come through. The Mad Elf is a bit lacking when it comes down "mouthability". There is a deficiency in carbonation, which is one of the hallmarks of most strong Belgium dark ales. Overall it is still a very enjoyable beer and definitely one to keep a look out for this time of year. (1,014 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From bottle to pint glass, a deep, dark, rich brick-red color. Almost non-transparent. Very weak, thin head with little lacing.

Aroma a malty-cherry; as advertised, a heavy belgian dankness - weighty, humid, musty.

A sinus-clearing, spicy, heavy malt with rich fruity tones. The biting bitter feel with an eclectic lingering spice flavor and a cherry backbone is a lasting and masterful conglomeration. A fantastic spice and fruit face-off that I won't soon forget!

Heavy yet smooth -- sliding right along the throat with no sense of friction!

Drinkability is limited only by the 11 % ABV -- yes, I think there may be a limit here!

I have heard so much about this beer. I was desperate to find it despite the fact I don't like fruity beers. But the fruit is well balanced by the bitter spice and I think the two really complement one another. Walked right into the local liquor store and there it was, the elf staring me in the face! I couldn't find the stuff last season! I am not disappointed with the beer itself -- it is very unique and very good! I only question if it is really worth 14.99/six pk when I'm an hour's drive from the brewery. Perhaps I will answer that question after a couple more rounds! Regardless, this is a worthy belgian-style ale and not far from a top-notch brew! (1,296 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.8%

Beer poured into my tulip glass from a growler purchased today. It poured a nice honey - red color with a 1 inch head. Honestly, the most inviting beer I've ever had. lacing left a nice bubbly coating on the glass as I drank.

Smell began with some bready smells, but as the head disolved, it turned to honey and cherries, with alchohol behind it.

As the beer hits your tongue, the first flavor you taste is a bitey sweetness. this is probably due to the cherries involved in the brew. I also taste a lot of bready notes. The high ABV can't be tasted, as far as I can tell. This is a very great tasting brew.

I can see this beer getting dangerous to those that aren't familiar with it. This beer feels great in the mouth, light enough to make you want more, but it has some weight behind it to make you know you're drinking something.

I really, really dig this ale. if the ABV wasn't so high, this would be a constant (as much as it could be, given it's limited run) for me. I don't know why people have said that this tastes like cough syrup, because I sure can't taste it. (1,088 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Great logo on the bottle and a great name. I am not impressed with the taste though. They went too over the top with spices in my opinion.

What it does do is offer a wonderful aroma. It smells like christmas inside that bottle. The taste however makes it not very high on drinkability. (287 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bought this December 2012. Aged in a dark cellar. Over a few years your Elf will mellow and impart deeper cherry and mahogany flavor. It is delicious fresh, of course, but save a sixer for around 3 years! Drink it in the summer, too. Why the hell not? (254 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

A: Pours a transparent ruby red with a 1 finger head. Foam quickly fades to a thin collar that leaves behind minimal lacing.

S: This beer isn't very fragrant, but I am getting aromas of alcohol soaked sweet cherries with a miniscule amount of honey. Some yeasty esters come out as the beer warms, but there really isn't much going on on the nose.

T: Flavor is one dimensional as all I'm really picking up is sweet cherries and a very small bit of honey on the finish. Even as the beer warms no new flavors come out.

M: Mouthfeel is lacking in my opinion. The body of this beer seems light on the palate. It is smooth but very thin, almost watery.

O: I was really looking forward to this beer and to be completely honest, I was a bit let down. The aromas and flavors are subtle, and I think this is not a good representation of what a Belgian Strong Dark Ale truly is. It seems a bit too "mild" for the style if that even makes sense. The one thing I must say is that the alcohol is masked extremely well for 11% ABV. So much so that If you told me it was 11% without me seeing proof, I wouldn't believe you. I would drink this beer again if it was free, but I most likely won't buy it again. (1,233 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Pours to a light red with a small off-white head.

S- Immediate honey and alcohol. Cherries near the end.

T- Lots of flavors. Starts with a light cherry. A little bit of your winter spices - cloves and nutmeg. I thought that there would be more of an alcohol presence at 11%. It was there, but only slightly. I've had beers at half the ABV that tasted like it they had more than this brew.

M- Very smooth. Moderate carbonation that felt just about right.

D- Very good beer. I don't think that I've had a beer with this high an ABV that I felt that I could drink multiples without a problem. Although, you probably shouldn't drink much more than a single. (661 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Somewhat dark, when poured has about an inch tall head. Good looking winter beer.

S - Obvious cherry and a bit of honey. Decent combination of the cherry, honey, and alcohol. It's a strong beer, so I was expecting to smell some booze. They did a good job of putting this beer together through the nose. Once you smell it, you want a sip.

T - You get a lot of the smell in the taste. Cherry, Honey, and alcohol are present. I will say that they did mask the alcohol well, but still a little much for me.

M - A little intense from the alcohol, but its rather smooth.

O - I was really excited to try this one. I'm glad I did, but I won't be buying another case. That being said, I would recommend trying this beer. If I can get it in a growler or on tap somewhere I will drink again but a case is a little too much. I think there are better strong belgian ales out there, but still overall a good beer and can understand the hype. (936 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Red like scotch and it looks like a scotch. When I pour the beer it sounded like ginger ale. Fizzing and popping and a head gone so fast if you blinked you would miss it. Now there so few bubbles left in my glass you could count them.

The smell is quite good. Reminds of Sam Adams cherry wheat. A big sour cherry smell and some alcohol.

Taking a sip you get whooped by a sour cherriness, followed by an alcohol burn, and a honey flavor to put out the flame. Complex flavors, a hint of spices, cloves. Maybe brewed with a wheat yeast.

Goes down smooth. The glass is half empty already, drinkable and likable. Sneaky beer, I am felling the effect of this high gravity beer already because it goes down quickly.

A very interesting unique beer. Could use better carbonation, less carbonation, to bring out more flavor. (826 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours a deep reddish amber with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly - some lacing remains on the glass as it warms

S- Sour cherries, cloves, maybe orange peel?

T- A dry start with honey and cherries quickly becoming prominent with sweetness. No real harshness or alcohol burn.

M- Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Balanced nicely.

D- Alcohol is hidden well, but you need to be aware. The fruity flavor may make this appealing, but I'd have to stop at one.

I look forward to this one every holiday season, then I may only have one or two. 11% for this one is a bit scary, but all in all, it's a nice beer. (621 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Poured a murky dull red color with some copper and caramel coloring. No head, but lacing clings to the glass as I swirl.

Smell: Strong cherry aroma; also lots of honey and sweet malt. It is very thick smelling if that makes any sense. Some spice comes through as well. Awesome smelling beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, heavy, viscous. Very little carbonation.

Taste: Ohhh mama! A year in the cellar has mellowed this to perfection. The bite and slightly green flavor is gone. No hops that I can discern, but at 15 IBU that is no surprise. That isn't what this beer is about anyway. The slick and juicy sweet flavors roll all around the mouth, with the cherries exhibiting both tarnessa nd sweetness. The malts and honey give body and additional sweetness, almost giving it the consistency of a mead. A bit of spicing rounds out the flavor and keeps things from going over the top on the sweetness scale. There is some dryness at the back, presumably because of the intense amount of alcohol.

Drinkability: What can I say? Somehow this 11.25% monster is drinkable...very drinkable. Don't drink too many, as you will be red faced and making a fool of yourself. The sweetness is very high and tart and dry are the only balancing factors, but I still can't get enough.

Overall: Given sufficient time to mature, this is one of the most drinkable, comples, and fun winter beers around. Tip of the cap to the Brothers Trogner. (1,437 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: A maroon to slightly amber beer. A bit of carbonation. Some cream-colored head that fades very fast with little or no lacing.

Smell: Reminders of brandy to the nose. The cherries are there but are not overwhelming. A bit of alcohol.

Taste: Let it warm up. About 55F. Now the flavor is coming out! Lots of fruit, alcohol, nice rounded malt. Just a bit of tartness at the end, but not sour.

Mouthfeel: Has a bit of a lager feel. Tastes like an ale, but has a clean finish for a mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is a delicious ale. The cherries add a festive quality and the sweetness blends with the alcohol nicely.

This is my Christmas beer for the year. I will be enjoying this beer in my snifter by the fire while watching the snow fly. (751 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

on tap @ The office

poured into a smaller-than-a-pint-glass glass (highball maybe, not sure). A small light tan head that didn't bother to stick 'round too long. A nice deep amber color with only a few small bubbles floating to the top.

smells like sweet malts, and some fruits... not sure which ones really. a bit of a boozy smell was around too. or was that someone next to me?

taste of sweet malts is right up front, with the fruits showing up as a ripe cherry taste. it's thick in taste. not much bitterness at all in this one. a slight flash of hot alcohol was also there... but just barely. the warming in my gut the real alcohol 'flash'. the bitterness finally showed a bit in the finish to dry things out a bit.

somewhat of a thick mouthfeel but given all that is put in, this is to be expected. the carbonation is there, but limited as you might expect.

this is a beer i only enjoy once a year really. not something i can drink so often even though i do have a liking for beers with the sweet malt characteristic.

the bottle version of this is also slightly different, although i would need to have a taste of it, as i haven't had the bottled version in about 2 years... (1,185 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

Sometimes you can't forget your first.

My first Mad Elf was on a bitingly cold Sunday morning. My brother and I were in a parking lot, tailgating at an annual Eagles game and waiting for some steak to cook while huddling over our plastic cups of beer. After several Coors Lights (no shame there - great tailgate beer), my bro pulls out two Mad Elf's and tells me I have to try this stuff.

Wow. Loved it. Still do.

(2007 bottle, poured 1/5/09)

A dark reddy brew with a nice but quickly dissapating head, the sweet cherry-themed bready aroma invites you into each sip. Sure, there is a hint of alcohol in the nose and taste but we're talking about an 11% alcohol content here. After a few sips you stop noticing.

Smooth enough to drink fast but who would want to waste it? Great malty mouthfeel yet a light/medium body. A slighty high carbonation keeps pace with the other elements and dissipates quickly on the tongue. Love the tangy sweet finish in the back and sides of the tongue and the pleasant warming sensation as it travels down the throat.

If you can stand to let it age, it only gets better. I'm tempted to crack into my few remaining 2006 bottles but willpower has held out so far. (1,197 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours deep copper with ruby highlights and a thin tan head. Aromas of yeast, banana esters, bubble gum, and spices. Present in the background are sour cherries, dark fruits, and orange-poppy seed muffins. Cherries become more pronounced as this warms. Flavor is sour yeast and cherry, astringent spices, and a sour/spicy finish. Nice sweet and tangy mouthfeel, medium carbonation. (380 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Mad Elf glass which was purchased solely to drink Mad Elf out of. Where a screened on date would normally appear, happy holiday's appears. No born on date, vintage to be found.

Really nice dark-ruby color. Almost like a brown that has some red injected into it. One finger of head dissipates kind of quickly, though not uniformly. Some parts still have 1/2 finger of head when the first holes in the wedding-dress-white head come through.

A delicious smelling beer. Cherries, honey and Belgian yeast; everything the beer said it had. Some alcohol present as well, but at 11%, that's to be expected. A really nice smelling beer.

Really big finish, with a lot of cherries and a lot of alcohol both present at different stages featuring different intensities. A real nice sweet honey flavor on the tip of the tongue that is probably the highlight of the beer. No really transitory flavors; kind of goes from a honey/nectar bomb to a cherry/alcohol bomb, although the finish kind of has a ginger ale-type quality to it; it's alcohol, but alcohol that tastes like Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Obviously, it's a young, young beer, so that will probably be smoothed over over time. I think I remember on the Troegs tour the guy mentioned Mad Elf was fermented for some ridiculously short amount of time, something like 9 weeks(though I may be mistaken), so this beer needs a lot of time. This beer has the potential to be great in 12 months. As for now, two big distinct flavors, not much in between. Like a sandwich on fresh out of the oven olive-oil and sun-dried tomato cibada bread with a kraft single in the middle.

There's some, but there is not a lot, which I think goes back to the needing more time problem. It does not have much carbonation, so it's no real problem to swallow. It's pretty well made, and it's a very smooth beer, which the alcohol hidden for most of the mouth. Some really big palate gripping in the back of the mouth, almost offensive at times. Nice mouthfeel; let's age it and see if it gets a Barry Bonds in the late 90's level mouthfeel. It's got the potential to.

Can you drink one and not realize it's 11% ABV? Absolutely. Can you drink more than one and not realize you're drinking an 11% alcohol beer? Now we're getting into the land of 'maybes' and 'probably nots' Even in the first one, some nice warming alcohol is present. For one, the drinkability is almost perfect; for more than one it's less than impressive. So it's above average but not quite good.

Why write last remarks on this beer so early? I'll be back in 12 months. And probably 24. This is a 'Lost:Season 1' beer: total cliffhanger with a huge reason to believe it's going to be fantastic. (2,714 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

From a totally subjective standpoint:
I drink this after a meal. As in not guzzle but slow drink like a desert drink.
This is how I drink it.
I can taste the strength I the ale. The honey and cherries make me think and enjoy the Christmas holidays.
Of course the 11 percent is off the chain but I thoruoghly enjoy this brew. (325 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Sat out of fridge for ten minutes before opening. Picked this up a few months ago and figured it was time to drink it, even though the holidays have passed.

A: Pours a deep ruby with a quickly dissipating off-white head, which forms a thin halo. Lots of floaties in the glass, which I was not expecting. Not terrible, but I would have liked this to be more filtered.

S: Clove, bubble gum, and cherries. True to the style, but not things I usually want in my beer. It doesn't smell bad by any means, but I can tell this isn't going to be my favorite.

T: Sweet with the same notes of bubble gum and cherries. Again, not my thing.

M: The ABV is high and you can tell. There is a pretty substantial burn at the end of each sip down my throat. I had thought about sitting on this for a year and, while I doubt I would like the flavor that much more, this would have probably improved. As is, however, I'm not a fan.

O: In hindsight, I'm not sure why I bought this beer. I'm not a huge fan of the style and I tried as much as possible to enjoy it, but it's just not growing on me as I drink it more. At least I know to pass on buying it next year and I'm thankful I only got one. (1,235 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What a Fantastic Brew! this is one of those Beers, that as soon as you pop that top and smell it,your heart starts racing,and you just know it is going to be something very special ~and Indeed it is,the nose is sweet,with Honey and a hint of Cherries and malts,~the taste pretty much follows the nose,sweet[but not cloying] you pick up the Honey and though you do get a nice Cherry note, it is more in the background then in your face,and does not have that "Cough Drop" Medicinal taste you get with a beer like "Sam Adams Cherry Wheat"~taste more like fresh cherries,and it IS Tasty as Hell,also would never know this Beer is 11% A.B.V.,Because I do not ever get that alcohol burn or boozy tatse,but perhaps that is Because I drink a lot of High A.B.V. Strong Beer's and Ales~this is not a Beer you knock back with your buddies while watching the Game or playing Poker,this is a Top Notch [IMHO] World Class Brew,it is a Beer you Savor and take your time to enjoy it's Amazing Flavors and the brewer's Art,what a BEER! Cheers 2 All;] (1,035 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark coppor color into my Maudite snifter. Small one finger head which leaves quickly. Little to no lacing

No overpowering smell. Faint sweetness with some cherry.

Tastes of sweet cherrys and malt. The alcohol is masked very well.

Medium body more like a "heavy medium" Slight carbonation.

This is a great sipper. Something to hold and enjoy the evening with. It is so very smooth and easy to drink that at 11% abv I could easily ruin the next morning if I am not careful. (486 characters)

Tröegs Mad Elf from Tröegs Brewing Company