Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crisp, clear, amber color with a big fizzy head that quickly disappears.

Lots of cherry and funky booze on the nose. Some swirling brings out a sweet honey smell and a bit of spice. Smells like many other beers in this style with a large addition of cherries. Kind of like cough syrup.

Booze and sweet, bready malts hit the mouth on the first sip. The finish brings out a nice cherry flavor. Coriander and a bit of orange peel are noticeable as well. Honey comes in and out. Overall, very sweet, boozy and fruity.

The mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation, but seems to be lacking the body that usually accompanies an 11% ABV beer. The body that is there is somewhat syrupy.

Drinkability is above average, but not by much. The high ABV and sweetness make this a one bottle beer, tops.

Overall, this is a good holiday beer. It goes along with the festive atmosphere, but the excessive sweetness and cherries are a bit too much for me.

12-31-2009 02:49:34 | More by sisuspeed
abuliarose

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a tulip glass, revealing ruby-toned clear body with an airy yellowed head that dies fast. Lightly bubbling body reminds me a lot of champagne. Smells like fruity hops and cherry cough syrup with hints of farmhouse funk. Intriguing.

Tastes sweet... very like a Belgian in character, with some funk and some blossoming floral flavor that dies into a fruity cherry (like cough syrup, I swear) light malty aftertaste. Alcohol makes its presence known and overall texture is smooth and a little dry, but I don't know if I would describe it as strong. Medium-bodied. Drinks like a water. Carbonation nucleates very small and slightly tingly on the tongue, dying quickly so as not to add much to the overall body. The aftertaste seriously reminds me of how my mouth feels after cough syrup. So, I'm not sure what this makes me, but it's quite drinkable. Don't know if I'd want more than one glass, though.

A yummy one-off strong dark. I'd get one next Christmas.

12-31-2009 02:42:45 | More by abuliarose
BTPete

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle recieved in Mahar's advent. Not my first time sampling this beer as I've had multiple bottles and tap pours this holiday season. This is in regards to this bottle though. Poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

A: Clear golden with a reddish hue. Minimal head on the pour.

S: Sweet cherries and honey. Fruity overall and certainly sweet smelling.

T: Very sweet but seemes balanced. I get sweet cherries, but not a natural cherry flavor, more of a syrupy or candy cherry flavor.

M: bubbly and medium bodied. Clean.

D: A little sweet for me. I'm not a huge cherry flavor fan. I like to eat cherries but would never drink cherry syrup in something. This reminds me of cherry syrup. Not bad though as I have had it a bunch of time so I will certianly drink it.

12-30-2009 15:05:44 | More by BTPete
strictly4DK

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip glass.

A - Pours a translucent amber, head amounts to a thin film and recedes to nothing. No lacing.

S - Just as advertised, scent is primarily sweet honey, spicy, slightly tart cherries. Phenolic but not medicinal.

T - Up front is sweet honey, candied sugar, cherries, and possibly some raisins. Mid-palate it makes a big shift. Cloves and belgian spice bridges the gap to dry, tannic finish. Hints of fusel alcohol but not too hot.

M - Light bodied and slightly thin. Astringent due to the tannic finish but honey and some spice also remain on the palate.

D - This is a decent holiday seasonal but not sure it holds up to many other beers of the Belgian Strong Dark style. Tannins nicely balance how sweet this is upfront. Probably won't pick up another unless it's got some age.

12-30-2009 01:10:31 | More by strictly4DK
biegaman

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer would rapidly fizz up with tiny cream coloured bubbles that would disappear just as soon, each crackling loudly as they faded. I couldn't believe the colour at first - one of the most clear and vibrant and bright colours I've ever seen in any beer. Quickly turned flat and bright ruby in colour, it closely resembled a glass of cranberry juice.

(I later couldn't resist but pour in all the sludge from the bottom of the bottle, greatly polluting the clarity, sullying the appearance, which then more closely resembled tomato juice. But the original, unsullied appearance was beautiful, like a Christmas stocking.)

I absolutely love this aroma, and there is no shortage of reasons why. For one, the honey reminds me of quality Polish mead. It has a waxy, earthy, polleny, buckwheat-infused balm that should be evident to even those with a poor sense of smell. Secondly, the cherries are appreciated and blend well with the notes of pear, apple and peach that are byproducts of the yeast. Lastly, malty hints of toffee and figgy pudding accentuate gracefully.

Although this relatively fresh sample should rightly be considered zippy, I've had older bottles which clearly illustrated how high alcohol and low carbonation can combine to make a syrupy mouthfeel. This example veers clear of being syrupy although I do feel slightly let down by the lack of texture and lingering...

For a beer made with sweet and sour cherries, dark malts, bitter hops, sweet honey and spicy yeast you'd think there would be just a tad more texture. Flavours, on the contrary, are ripe and plentiful. The honey is appreciated most, lending plenty of noticeable flavor. The fruity spiciness of the yeast is next, followed by a light tartness from the cherries. The malts, though thinnish, manage to contribute figs, dates and butterscotch.

I'm not crazy about Mad Elf but I do like it a fair bit, namely because its ability to age, its Christmasy flavours of figgy pudding and cranberry, its spicy yeast and warming sensation make it an extremely apt beer for the holidays. It likely wouldn't be the first thing I'd grab when hankering for a yuletide tipple, but if I were more in the spirit for a nightcap, I might be inclined to skip the port and go straight for the Tröegs.

12-28-2009 18:43:49 | More by biegaman
Slatetank

3.9/5  rDev +1%

I had a pint of this on tap at Brewhouse grille in Lemoyne, PA.

A - A very clear bright crimson w/ amber highlights and a very thin white cap w/ ultra fine bead. The clarity is very transparent w/ carbonation visible as it quickly rises

S - the smell is sweet and honey-like w/ an aroma that has mild fruit notes and subtle malt aroma. The mild hint of alcohol is apparent

M - A srong vinous feel w/ smooth full and thick body w/ slight alcohol warmth and moderate carbonation w/ gentle sweetness

T - A crisp, fruit taste at first followed by a slight honey flavor and strong alcohol flavor w/ a mild creamy malt taste. There is very light cherry tinges which are dry and have a mild tannic element w/ honey-like sweetness that coats the palate after the glass is drained

D - Let's be honest this is a strong beer and the taste only hides it slightly w/ little real fruit flavor to speak of and lots of alcohol which isn't something I personally find to be all that drinkable. I admit it is pretty smooth for the abv, with honey not overpowering, but too much for more than 1 IMO.

12-28-2009 17:56:08 | More by Slatetank
MadElf25

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

A. Served in a cognyac glass with a ruby red coloring made me think of Christmas Morning.

S. A Sweet aroma, i really smell the Cherry Flavor.

T. Sweet yet tangy with heavy tates of cherry, i gave it a 4 due to a little bit of an after taste.

M. Very smooth going down, light and airy.

D. It is Definatly a beer i could enjoy again and again

12-28-2009 16:58:19 | More by MadElf25
rfgetz

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a nice, light and clear ruby color with a very thin bubbly white ring of foam. Smell is of yeasty bread, faitn spicing plus a kiss of honey and marachino cherry. Taste kicks the scent profile up a notch with a very noticable belgian yeasty background with a good candy cherry and mildly sweet honey flavor. Some spicing and wheat flavors on the back end and a noticable boozy touch. Slightly undercarbonated, lighter side of medium bodied. A decent beer, but lacks the punch i remember it having in the past.

12-28-2009 14:28:17 | More by rfgetz
BeerPhan86

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

I wanted to get some Delirium Noel for Christmas this year but my store didn't order it, and I noticed they had this. Wasn't about to spend $15.99 for a six pack but I got a single for $3.49.

A - I was expecting something far darker in appearance. This one pours a hazy ruby-amber with a virtually nonexistent head. Doesn't seem to be very much carbonation in this beer either...

S - Belgian yeast, raisins, and banana. Very sweet and malty smelling, with plenty of booziness. I can detect the cherries and honey that the description promises. This reminds me of Three Philosopher's.

T - Plenty of cherry flavor that stays on the lips. Very boozy and oaky. Tastes grainy and spicy. I get some hops on the dry finish, but just not enough dark flavors for my taste.

M - Medium bodied and creamy, but pretty flat. I need some carbonation, and I think that would help bring out the flavors some more.

D - The ABV is very well hidden, however I am glad I just bought the one to try and not the whole six pack.

Overall, I should have spent the holiday with Three Philosopher's or just gotten some Delirium Nocturnum. Pretty big letdown, I was expecting a far darker and more complex beer. Other people seem to like this and it isn't bad, just not worth the price at all in my opinion, and I was definitely in the mood for a Belgian strong dark ale tonight.

12-26-2009 02:03:40 | More by BeerPhan86
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

2008 Vintage

Poured into town hall chalice.

Pours hardly and khaki tan head. Fades down fast. Color is a ruby red copper.

Aroma: Cherries right away. Then I get some spice notes. I'd have to say it is ginger. A nice dose of honey with some biscuit flavored malts. This is a perfect holiday beer.

Taste: Lots of cherries and honey up front. Ginger and spice notes. Bready malts. Maybe some plums and molasses as well. This is a great treat for the holidays.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshingly creamy. A very hint of heat. Medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, but that is fine since it is a year old. Ends pretty dry though.

Overall, I was impressed with this one and very drinkable for the abv and the little hint of booze that showed. I really enjoyed this one and it is a great seasonal.

12-26-2009 00:10:36 | More by mothman
aerozeppl

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

To Send the Holidays from ok to felony.

A: Nice translucent red color. Minimal white head with almost no lacing.

S: Nice smell of sweetness and cherries. A touch of booze in there as well. Quite a bit of sweetness.

T: The difference between this in the bottle and on tap if that it is a little bit boozier on tap which is weird. Quite a bit of cherries coming through.

M: Nice full mouthfeel. A little bit sticky.

D: I love this beer. Just a great treat during the holidays.

Serving type: growler

12-25-2009 01:34:38 | More by aerozeppl
jbsteiny

Hawaii

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap at One World Café in Baltimore. I was very happy to see this, as: a) I'd never tried it before; b) I love Belgian styles; c) I live in Hawaii where you don't get a good variety of interesting American craft brews; and d) it was being served by the pint and, at 11%, it was by far the most economical delicious buzz I could ask for.

Beautiful dark ruby color with a slight ring of foam. The head would rise with a swirl of the glass, but wouldn't stick around. A few short-lived specks of foam on the glass.

Smelled and tasted of thick malt, candy, brown sugar, stewed fruit, and spicy phenols. I didn't know about the cherries until I just read it here, but I guess that was some of the fruitiness I was getting -- I thought it was esters from the yeast.

Despite a big sweet presence, it dried up remarkably well, and I forgot to sip it. Downed two pints very easily. Then again, I've got a sweet tooth and my buddy didn't really care for it, preferring to stick with the Dogfish Head pale ale. But one of the better American takes on the Belgian style I've had. Looking forward to trying more from Tröegs this holiday season!

12-24-2009 22:00:09 | More by jbsteiny
cosmicevan

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from 12oz bottle into tulip glass

A - Poured a syrup looking amber with a very thin head that disappaited almost immediately.

S - Very sweet smelling. Honey and maple sugar smell.

T - Very sweet and syrupy, but not bad. Fun for a one off, but not something I'd want to have more than one of in a night. Kind of like having a piece of candy and a beer all in one, very filling.

M - Very flat and syrupy feeling. Doesn't really feel like a beer, but certainly feels like a holiday drink rich in sweetness.

D - Pretty thick and filling beer for my tastes. Not bad by any means, but drinking too many of these might give you the same feeling as eating too much candy. The high ABV would also prevent you from having too many of these, but not a bad treat if you are looking to fulfill the desire for a beer while also getting your sweet tooth fix.

12-24-2009 20:40:03 | More by cosmicevan
gromis

3.9/5  rDev +1%

This is a holiday favorite, as the brewery is nearby. Every year people wait for this to come out.

It pours a dark gold/amber color. Hardly any carbonation to speak of.

Smell is nothing out of the ordinary.

Taste: To me, the honey comes through. I really can't pick out the cherries that are supposed to be in this one. Very pleasant taste, bites a bit of alcohol.

Since I've been brewing my own beer, I've made the statement that commercial beers now taste like "Lite" beers to me. After having a Mad Elf, I had one of my homebrews and my homebrew tasted like a Lite beer. HEH!

12-24-2009 03:17:21 | More by gromis
sprucetip

Alaska

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Though this one had virtually no head, and was only a little active, I score it pretty high because the clarity seemed extraordinary. Sort of light amber and exceptionally clear, it was very inviting and attractive.

SMELL Fruity boozy esters, mostly banana, were very strong but not very hot. It was also very sweet. The banana esters reminded me very much of the German wheat beers, and makes me wonder if they used that kind of yeast?

TASTE is malty sweet with short lived bitter cheery-like dark fruit up front. Alcohol is evident but not dominant. Balancing hops are perceptible and just a bit bitter. Pretty smooth, and growing on me...

FELL modest warming, rich full body, medium viscosity and a drying finish.

OVERALL Cloying would be too strong a description, but it's not hard to imagine some finding this way too sweet. Alcohol presence is restrained, thankfully, considering how much of it is in there. And there are some other interesting things going on in there, like the aforementioned banana smell and taste reminiscnet of German weiss beers. Definitely a sipper. Glad I tried it. Thank you BuckeyeNation for the great trade and hand delviery.

12-23-2009 17:43:41 | More by sprucetip
jzeilinger

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a ruby red in my tulip glass, didn't have much head to speak of, then again, I pour my beers pretty quietly which isn't always good. I'm letting the beer sit in the glass for 10-15 minutes to bring up to room temp. There's now no head at all and no carbonation. Has the Belgian sweet spicey aroma, some cherry in the scent. The only gripe I have, and it isn't anything major, it would be nice to get a stronger aroma coming from my glass. The aromas were harder to detect, maybe because the beer was too cold or my nose was not in good form, who knows.

The taste is totally unique, I wasn't sure what to expect with the "cherry thing" going on here but it works, and works well. Everything blends well on the tongue, the Belgian yeast and cherry flavors seem to almost swirl around the tongue. I taste the Belgian yeast, then the sour , acrid, tart/sour cherry rears it head, then gets beat down by the Belgian yeast, and so it continues for the duration as it sits on your tongue. Minutes after the taste, the cherry nuances linger on the sides of the tongue while the tart cherry flavor causes the salivary glands to go crazy. This beer finishes wetter than I expected. There is a slight warming in the throat from the alcohol and for an 11% beer, the ABV is particularly well hidden. Mouthfeel is very smooth and soft, slight prickling on the tongue, but not too much to make it taste harsh. Medium body.

This is very, very drinkable and can easily creep up quickly and trainwreck you if not paying attention. In fact, I'm amazed how drinkable it is because I'm not one for sweeter types of beers. Very well done, one of the better ones from Troegs.

12-23-2009 00:21:35 | More by jzeilinger
NicholasSchell

3.9/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours a deep amber/cherry color, with minimal to no head, appears to be very lightly carbonated.

S- Scent is fairly sweet, spicy, and lightly floral. The label promises cherries and honey, they both show but the cherries are king here.

T- Sweet Cherries, alcoholic, woody. The kind of flavor that brings back memories of Christmas past.

M- Feels more carbonated than it appears, slightly sticky consistency, warming.

D- This is a sipper, but as far as a Winter Warmer goes it does it's job well.

12-22-2009 03:53:27 | More by NicholasSchell
ritzkiss

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Goblet on tap at Cole's in Buffalo, arrives an amber/cherry wood color with no head, hard to raise some on a subsequent swirl. Pretty still.

Cherry and 'Belgian' esters/yeast along the lines of a triple dominate, some grain, light cloves and all spice. Very rich and creamy, heavy caramel and honey sweetness running through, light Saaz hop dryness in the finish. Boozy in the finish, you can tell this is a heavier beer though you might not guess as high as 11%!

Not bad, though it's too sweet to be more than a sipper. A little brash on the esters, could be dialed down a notch. Can't say I would jump to drink this one again, though perhaps in the bottle or with some age it might mellow a touch.

12-20-2009 16:31:55 | More by ritzkiss
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

On tap at Coles in Buffalo.

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a think off-white film that gave a few spots of lace, but mainly contented itself by forming an island in the middle of the glass. Looks the part, but could do with better retention and lace. The aroma screams christmas, and is dominated by cherries, and Belgian yeast.

Slightly grassy, and herbal flavours coming through and mixing in with some strong cherry and belgian yeast, and perhaps some chocolate too. Dry grainy finish betrays the alcohol slightly. Medium body and carbonation.

Both myself and Eric had some of this on tap, and neither of us knew that it was such a high ABV. Although its detectable its pretty well-hidden and I would have guessed 7 or 8%. A nice winter warmer!

12-20-2009 15:04:50 | More by bobsy
albern

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For an 11% ABV beer, it is a touch watery in consistency and not nearly as full bodied as I would have expected. The beer pours a amber ruby color with zero head. It is a fairly uncarbonated affair. The nose has the alcohol phenols, some sweetish malts in the background, a maybe a touch of the cherries. This has a sherry like aroma to it.

The taste is sweet honeyed malts, with some cherry flavors throughout. There is a touch of spice to the beer, almost a biting nutmeg type spiciness. The beer is overall quite sweet but also very warming from the high ABV. There is a touch of throaty burn as the beer goes down. The beer is a bit deceptive. The ABV is apparent, but the 11% extent of the ABV is fairly well hidden. This is a sipping beer and it is surprisingly watery in body for a beer of this content. It doesn't have the syrupy consistency I would have expected. This is a decent beer, certainly appropriate for the holiday season, but not a beer I would seek out.

12-18-2009 23:57:28 | More by albern
BeerCon5

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a dark amber color with a small amount of off white head.

The scent is of sweet malts, cherries and alcohol.

Up front the sweetness of cherries is evident. It is somewhat spicy with a strong alcohol component.

Medium bodied, verry smooth, good carbonation.

This is a very tasty beer, though it is difficult to drink more than two in one sitting.

12-18-2009 21:46:30 | More by BeerCon5
pershan

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +7%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a beautiful clear, dark amber with a thin white head into a chalice. The aroma was heavy with bubble-gum Belgian yeast and sour cherry - very nice. A big tart bite up front, with the cherry and bubble-gum flavors dominating, transitioning into a slightly sour/tart malt finish with alcoholic ester undertones. A slightly astringent mouthfeel, but not unpleasant. A very smooth-drinking strong ale, especially considering the very high ABV - great for sipping on a cold winter's day.

Serving type: cask

12-17-2009 18:43:01 | More by pershan
Minotaur

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Update: the 2009 12 oz bottles were initially thin. They tasted like cough medicine and were not particularly impressive. I tasted the first one shortly after Thanksgiving 2009. As of January 12 2010 they have improved significantly. It seems even after bottling another 2-3 months of age helps considerably.

This is a 22 oz bottle aged 1 year (from 2008) and poured into a goblet.

Orange-red, cinnamon color. It pours very smooth with just a slight fizz and sudden - thin head which dissolves quickly to just a circle of foam around the edge of the glass.

Aroma: Alcohol, thin biscuit flavor, slightly sour cherry aroma.

The taste after a year is exceptionally smooth. It has a bread-like quality typical of belgians with a bit of esther and alcohol; the honey makes it incredibly smooth and soft with just a little bit of bitter-tart cherry. Young, the taste can be a bit medicinal. Aged it is very whole, not overly deep but easy to sip and warming.

It has a very light mouth feel that suits the fruity and sweet flavor.

I've noticed the beer tends to be more impressive upfront and then becomes softer through out the glass.

12-17-2009 02:01:05 | More by Minotaur
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Nice fruity and hefty ale.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Playful front label design and illustration with a Christmas elf carrying cherries and emptying the last drop of a glass . Short note on the character of the beer and holiday cheer on the neck label. There is a semi erased stamped line on top of the label that may or may not indicate beer freshness or bottling date. Displays Alc. by Vol. (11%). Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Amber brown, reddish pour. with a short creamy head with minimal retention and no lacing, all this despite a typical vertical pour from me, and the encouragement about doing so from the instructions on the six-pack case.

S - Yeasty whiff, rather Belgian, fades away quickly never to come back. Leaves a persistent sweet aroma of cherries, candy, caramel fruitiness...

T - Hefty sweet notes, actually rather well balanced and pleasing. Cherries and honey are fairly noticeably over a nice malty base holding the alcohol rather well.

M - Medium to full bodys as one goes along with medium to low carbonation. Sweet and somewhat sticky boring finish.

D - It´s a nice sipper more than anything else. And even while the brew is rather well balanced for what it is, it still feels a tad boring toward its end.

Notes: A bit short of its reputation (in particular on its presentation at least on this year´s batch) but nevertheless a rather pleasing and celebratory winter fruity ale, with a marked spicy-Belgium memory.

12-17-2009 01:11:52 | More by Daniellobo
drcarver

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A - a nice deep red color with a small (less than 1 finger) head that sits atop. Leaves a nice amount of lacing around the glass

S - cherries in the front followed by malt, spiciness, and a hint of alcohol

T - sweet. dancing on the line of too sweet but still palatable. Alcohol is present but the cherries is in the background.

D - goes down nice and slow which is good for a brew at 11%.

12-16-2009 02:09:29 | More by drcarver