Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +8%

Poured this into my snifter. It has the color of dark reddish and ruby appearances. Aromas of sweet fruit with a slight bite to it. On the first sip you can notice the alcohol but that quickly fades as you can taste more sweet fruity flavors, definitely the cherries with hints of honey. Mouthfeel gets a slightly gummy or sticky after a few tastes but overall not bad. This one goes down relatively smooth considering its so high in alcohol. This is one of my favorite winter beers.

whitehouse50, Mar 11, 2009

Poured into a snifter this beer had a great head but faded to a ring quickly. An excellent light ruby hue is the main attraction for this appetizing beer.
Big cherries are obvious in the nose as well as the belgian yeast. Their is also a peppery character to this beer.
A sweet fruity beer. Lots of syrupy cherry character. A bready yeast is also noticeable which contributes to an excellent malt finish.
A very solid beer that I will probably try again next year. I would like to put some aside since I think the sweetness would mellow and the mouthfeel would soften.

alovesupreme, Mar 11, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Great logo on the bottle and a great name. I am not impressed with the taste though. They went too over the top with spices in my opinion.

What it does do is offer a wonderful aroma. It smells like christmas inside that bottle. The taste however makes it not very high on drinkability.

woodske1, Mar 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Clear brassy amber with lots of trails of carbonation. A fizzy head foams up while pouring and disappears immediately. No lacing.

Aroma is heavy malt with noticeable alcohol. Caramel, slight dark honey, and lots of dark fruit. Maybe a slight hop spice, or perhaps that's the alcohol.

Taste is very malt forward. Caramel, a bare hint the chocolate malts in there. No clear separate hop notes but decently balanced from a spicy character. Very clean taste for such a malt heavy beer. Moderately dry finish with alcohol warming.

Medium body with lots of soft fizzy carbonation. Almost sody pop kind of carbonation but without the harshness.

I can't pick out the cherries, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment. Not my typical brew, but a really nice foray into malt territory.

goatgoat, Feb 25, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Finally had the chance to try this beer, although I wish it were snowing outside right now as I drink this. It pours a reddish brown with a small head. The head dissolves quickly. The beer smelled like honey, nuts, alcohol, and cherries. Upon first sip I was surprised how well the alcohol taste is hidden. This is very ell for a 11& ABV. Next thing you know, my pint glass is finished. IT tasted just like it smelled, honey, nuts, and subtle taste of sweet cherries. The store I purchased from has planty of these left, I will probably be back soon to buy another. After finishing the 1pint 6oz bottle I already feel it!

Great beer, can't wait to have this next Christmas!

brianlg, Feb 25, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a clear warm brown body with a red hue to it. There is a sea of tiny bubbles that pop to the surface to form a head of tan bubbles.

S- This beer has a aroma of brown sugar, toasted malt a hint of circus peanuts and a caramel malt aroma.

T- The soft sweet malt has a dark nougat notes and some faint circus peanut flavors. There is a blended quality of dark cherries that comes through in the malt flavor but is not pronounced. The finish has a soft boozy quality that is quite nice.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a tight little fizz finish and no real alcohol heat until it gets pretty warm.

D- This beer has some great Belgian strong dark ale qualities with a mysterious malt flavor that is sweet and rich and has a nice accent of cherries to it. This is a great winter sipper.

rhoadsrage, Feb 23, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle received courtesy of gdfan47 in a recent trade.

Vintage 2008 (consumed on 2/23/09):

Poured into my snifter. Pours a ruby-tinted deep orange color with the thinnest of foamy sheets coating the top. No lacing or webbing whatsoever. Disappointing. Smells of cherries, licorice, raisins, alcohol, and some clove.

Fruity esters dominate this big brew. Definitely some cherry and possibly hint of banana in there as well. I can taste the licorice as well. Warming brew. Easier to drink right away for me. As the brew warms the alcohol becomes more pronounced and this just turns into a boozy mess. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but not that bad. Crisp. Well done.

L: 2.5
S: 4
T: 4
F: 3.5
D: 3
Overall: 3.55 = B

[EDIT]:

Vintage 2008 (consumed on 1/5/10).

22 oz. bottle poured into my tulip glass. I'm interested to see what a year did to this beer.

Pours a ruby-tinted deep amber with a thin off-white head on top. Leaves just a ring along the edge. No lace present. Scents of strawberries, cherries, grass, and a sharp astringent cleaning-solution-like scent. Full creamy body on this beer still. Moderate amount of carbonation. Still has a subtle crisp bite to it. Flavors of red licorice, some light yeast, and faint tannins? This has become more of a fruit-beer, than a Belgian, with time. Much sweeter than I remember as well. I like what some time did to this beer. I've still got an '07 in the cellar that I'll have to pull out sometime soon and see how that one held up.

Onenote81, Feb 23, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes 12-26-08

Meant to do this one on Christmas but forgot about it...Oh well.

Eye: This brew is crystal clear, and is amber in color, maybe tinting more towards brown. Carbonation races towards the top in troops of delicate, tiny bubbles. The head has a decent formation, but retention is different, much more of a quilt that has lost some of its cotten inbetween the two pieces of fabric-thinner is some places than others-and maybe very close to threadbare in certain spots. Lacing is pretty good-thicker rings connected by sheets, though they tend to have holes in them.

Nose: Heavy on the spices in the aroma, not heavy as in obnoxious, but heavy as in that is a main component. Coriander is one of the main aromas in here. There is also a very sweet malt aroma underneath, an aroma that clings to the nostrils and screams sweet malt aroma, very strong. Sweet honey notes too...those are big in there. All in all smells good, but to me its a little too top heavy, not enough to support these big aromas going on, not enough subtle intracies, compexities.... Diacetly in here too, but not in large amounts, its in small enough quantities to add depth instead of death. Overall aroma is just...uninteresting, it doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell great, its good but really nothing interesting.

Tongue: Diacetyl is here, thats one of the first things I taste. Alcohol is also noticeable, but not foreground. It doesn't play a major role, that is it is here, but does nothing for the beer, no balancing, no depth addition. Rather it is more of a by product in this instance. The beer itself is very malty with balance coming from what small hop flavor there is-somewhat spicy-the small amount of bittering hops, and the drying effect that the alcohol has on the palate. Malt-wise I get lots of bready-hefe style characteristics, but without as being pronounced as a hefe. The hefe yeast flavor does alot for this brew. This is a unique brew, and it has its own unique taste, but this is one that isn't really what I was expecting...I mean from the hype.

Feel and Drinkability: Carbonation is extremely low, I think that it could be a bit higher, I mean really, you can't really even feel it on the tongue when it sits in the mouth. Feel is medium-heavy with a definite lean towards heavy here....carbonation again. It feels okay in the mouth, I think that the carbonation sould be more delicate...and in more abundance, but while being more delicate....its there to lighten the body a bit, give some scrubbing action-just a bit-and to fill out the overall feel, make it more beer like...I'll finish the bottle, but as of now this isn't one that I'd go chasing after...plus the price is a bit high-$8 a bomber-...for something that I feel that the hype here is more than it deserves. A decent beer but the hype (in my opinion) is greater than the beer. This is one that I'll not be buying next year...not that its bad, but it just isn't worth buying again...

becktone, Feb 22, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

Appearence - pours a ruby red tinted color with a decent one finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Moderate lacing and little head retention.

Smell - Red and black cherries as well as strong alcohol stick out the most. This may seem weird but I also smell mint.

Taste - The same flavor of cherries that can be smelled. Probably one of the sweetest tasting beers I've ever had. I can also pick up the undertones of malt, cloves, and maybe the faintest hops. But they are all overwhelmed by cherries and nutmeg. Quite a christmas-y brew. Alcohol is dangerously hidden in this one as well.

Mouthfeel - Quite underwhelming for a big beer like this. Not very heavy in the mouth at all. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer is quite dangerous in the drinkability category. Goes down way too easy for an 11%. I've had a bomber of this in a sitting and would easily have another if weren't so strong. A great beer and one of my favorite seasonals.

matt062286, Feb 22, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle with many thanks to mikereaser for the bottle. Got a goofy looking elf on it brewed with honey and cherries....hmm.
It's obviously a nice Christmasy beer and even though it's February it is snowing tonite so I'm drinking a Christmas beer.
Pours a nice bright red looks like watered down pomegranate juice. With slight wispy white head that flees the scene very quickly. Smells like sweet cherries and sweet malts. Not too much in the nose, but nice. Taste is a pleasant caramel malty backbone with a cherry boozy finish. It's kind of like cherry bounce in a beer bottle. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I kinda like it. Very strong beer, but with that tartness/malty combo it kind of smooths it out. Pretty nice brew overall, kinda wish it had a bigger mouthfeel just to round out the beer. A little heaviness would go a long way, but it's a good brew for sure. Hops? what hops? did they use them? I can't tell, didn't come up this time around. Nice holiday beer would definitely try again, the nice booziness will help around the holidays, I hate egg nog.

abents, Feb 21, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a clear burnt red body - ruby-ish. Even moreso when held to the light. Large white head with tons of carbonation rising up. Loads of stubborn lacing on the glass.

Smell is of dark cherries, candy sugar. Very sweet. The sweet honey is definitely there. Slight burnt malt in nose as well.

Taste is of sweet red cherries with honey sweetness. Candied sugar. A lot like the aroma. A nice zesty, lemon yeast element backs this up really well. Has a tart feel to it. Alcohol spice comes out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, light. Medium bodied, but maybe somewhat too light for the style. It's very drinkable - the sweetness does not get old. Alcohol content doesn't hinder, either. Very refreshing, very enjoyable. A nice 'holiday' beer from a great brewery.

TMB0424, Feb 18, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

At local tasting via kiefdog

A: Pours a nice copper hue with a rather small white head. Little retention and lace.

S: Nice sweet cherry aromas with hints of honey and spice.

T: Very similar to aroma. Light cherry with a bold honey sweetness. A touch of clove to round things out.

M: Medium in body, smooth with pretty good carbonation.

D: Not bad, a tasty brew.

tpd975, Feb 16, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -1%

A friend of mine brought this to my Super Bowl party. When he said he was bringing me a bottle, I didn't expect him to bring the 0.8 gallon! Everyone got to enjoy this, because there was definitely any room in my fridge for it!

A: Deck the halls! The deep red color was very fitting for a Christmas brew. The head was gone almost as soon as the glasses were filled.

S: You can definitely smell the cherries and honey boasted on the label. Slightly sour but good

T: Started off kind of tart but the honey mellowed it out with the sweetness. Short finish on the palate.

M: Maybe it was just that particular bottle, but it could use some more carbonation, as evidenced by the lack of head. It wasn't bad, but felt like it had been sitting out for a while.

D: It was very good and smooth on its way down. I'd definitely have it again, but not sure that I would pick it over some other holidays I've had.

jlb307, Feb 15, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz 2008 bottle poured into a troegs pint glass. Picked up a single of this on a whim.

A- Mad Elf pours out a copper reddish color almost ruby like in appearance. A decent frothy white/beige head pops up to an 1/2 inch leaving some very spotty lace. This minimal lace eventually fell down into the liquid.

S- Even though this is billed as brewed with cherries and honey, the cherries are very faint in the nose. The honey comes through a tad bit more but nothing impressive enough to make it a dominate smell. I do get a ton of alcohol in the nose which does not bode well with me. A lot of malts wih some hops and some spicy yeast.

T- Alcohol is the main factor here which is a shame as it detracts from the taste, at least for me. Some sweetness coming from the cherries but not even half of what i was expecting. The honey used increases the sweet taste of this and actually saves this beer. The three different malt varieties are noted and work well while any bitterness from the hops is minimal at 15 IBU's. Some yeast notes in the finish.

M- The malts would make this a smooth sipper but the alcohol completely drown out any other flavors making it a task to drink. It is both smooth and cloying from the alcohol if that makes sense. Mad Elf has a medium build with some carbonation nothing exciting. The mouthfeel does not remind me of a christmas ale even though this is billed as a BSDA.

D- Not that high for me. I've tried this occasionally through the years trying to find something new but this beer never wowed me. It's a decent BSDA but if your looking for a christmas style brew with a nice spice factor look elsewhere. The alcohol completely gets in the way of the cherry and honey additions. I'm not sure if aging this would do any good either.

BARFLYB, Feb 12, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

A very Christmassy brew this. Very fruity, which makes some sense with a rich cherry aroma, but with something else as well - a wheaty twang in the nose. Sweet, rich and flavourful for sure. Alcohol is well hidden, but still manages to give a hint of complexity. Very fruity and nary a hop to be tasted - well maybe a bit in the finish, but this is a big, malty, fruity brew. Color is an appropriate copper, and carbonation a bit muted. Soft, creamy body is nice as well. As for the honey... well, I don't taste it. I suppose the cherry is that much stronger a flavour. Pretty drinkable for a big beer. Worth trying, but like most fruit beers, not a regular in my beer fridge.

allergictomacros, Feb 12, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

A full, frothy, beige head looms over a gem-clear, ruby-red ale and, as promised, leaves patchy lace on the walls of the glass until swirled and displaced by a film.

Again, as promised, cherries fill the nose with that delightful yeast funk and floral hops, turning peppery with warmth.

The strong acidity is followed by a lingering tartness with medicinal cherry in the background until the finish where it comes front and center. I think this one is closer to a Flemish Red but not quite. Complexity begins to unfold with warmth.

A light body that is dry and oily with soft carbonation and mild astringency. There is no hidden alcohol here. It is up in your face.

Mad Elf makes for a fine winter beer, worthy of sipping by the fireside with dessert and my lovely wife. And yes, I will have another please.

SLeffler27, Feb 09, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at Sunset Grill and Tap, served in a 13oz tulip glass

Dark garnet in color with no head (this is just because of the way the beer was poured, I think). A dark cherry flavor apparent in the nose becomes more prominent when tasted. Full-bodied and malty -- a very unique brew. Almost like a Belgian winter warmer (but no obnoxious spices; the cherry flavor works very well). Very easy going down despite the high alcohol content.

applky, Feb 03, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Poured a very nice amber/ocher color with a 1 finger head that lasted only a few minutes. No lacing.
S: Wow. I really like the smell on this brew. I get apricots somehow as well as nutmeg or cinnamon. The honey comes through as an excellent balance to the slight undertones of malt and hops.
T: A sweet beer, but that's to be expected with the honey and the holiday style. I still get apricot with a bit of a cherry note.
M: Good carbonation. A slick, almost buttery consistency with a nice spicy finish.
D: I'm usually not a big fan of the taste of spiced or fruit infused beers, but this is a nice balance. It is a bit sweet for me, but not nearly as sweet as many of the belgians I've had lately. I will probably make this part of my holiday beer mix next year.

Gilgemesh, Jan 31, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Edit: Please read this entire review before making any decisions about the worth of Mad Elf.

***

Tonight is a big night for me thanks to Hophead101 ... I was lucky enough to win the Mad Elf LIF that contained a solid 4 year vertical of the much sought after Mad Elf. I am too big a pussy to try all 4 years side by side... soooo.. tonight I am gonna do an '08 and an '05 together. The '08 is in my trusty New Belgium snifter.. the older brother is in a nearly as trusty Chimay goblet.

The pour on both were identical... the sediment stuck alot better on the '05... both had a very short lasting 3/4" head.. both have very clear deep amber red brew (sediment was left in the bottle).. no appreciable difference in appearance. (3.5)

The '08:

Nose: clean belgian ale with fruitiness that may be identified as cherries... but I'm having a time.. lite pale malts and slight but definitely there spicy EtOH... actually really very mild. (3.5)

Palate: Really pretty standard BSDA flavors with a sorta punch of cherry essence mid palate with I guess what could be described as a honey sweetness that has a fairly mild fruity finish.. interesting but not what I would say is something that I would really hunt down.. a little too phenolic toward the end... as it warms.. the cherries show up quite a bit more.. and the honey notes really meld better.. but it still leaves something to be desired. (3.5)

Body: lite side for a brew this big.. belgian or not.. carbonation is surprisingly lite with a more smooth small bubble envelope... (3.5)

Drinkability: Honesty.. I could easily drink "one" or two of these relatively easily.. but again, I wouldn't go out of my way.. easy drinking for a beer of this magnitude.. but it would smack me in the brain fairly quickly. (3.5)

The '05:

Nose: Bready and estery.. slightly oxidized in a good way.. sorta like a fruity tawny port.. toasty.. (4)

Palate: The flavor is much more complex.. MUCH. and amazingly the cherry is much more pronounced.. sorta like a refined Maraschino essence.. like a tablespoon of kirsch in a nice goblet of a good BSDA.. very nice.. the phenolic aspect of the '08 is nearly gone.. the alcohol component is also pretty much completely melded into a much more complex brew.. the finish is more dry with a nice lingering cherry smack (4.5)

Body: The body even feels more refined.. pretty much the same viscosity with a delicate bubbliness (word?) .. (4)

Drinkability: The drinkability actually takes a hit (in theory) with some age.. only because I wanna savor it more.. very nice.. much much more of a sippin beer.. (3.5)

***

Wow.. this was a lesson in beer aging.. Huge thanks Greg.. this seriously made me think.. had I thrown in the '06 and '07, I think the differences would have gotten lost in translation.. this is one of the most generous LIF's that I've seen.. again.. thanks.

I don't know how to review this one.. I have to do the fresh review, but if I had this locally.. I would buy 6 or 12 every year and have a few and probably cellar the rest and not touch them for at least a couple of years.. remarkable what some time can do.

Had I reviewed the '05 here is the standing at 2:00 am MST on 1/28/09

A- / 4.05
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5
rDev: +3.2%

JohnGalt1, Jan 28, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Interesting beer. Got this as an extra in a trade - thanks jophish17! Nice dark amber color, not much head, and no retention. Aroma is a little sour to me - maybe a bit too much sweet fruit - almost like bananas. Taste is similar but definitely better - smooth and sweet - a little spicy, which I definitely like. I can't believe that the alcohol is 11%. It tastes like 5-6%. I would've liked a little more alcohol presence in the taste and aroma. Feel is smooth - goes down nicely and I could drink several if I had them. Definitely an interesting take on a Belgian strong ale - the alcohol is a little too hidden for my tastes.

prsguitarsr4me, Jan 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +9%

12 oz. bottle, 11% ABV. Pours a very clear ruby color. White foamy head disappears immediately.

Sour cherries in the nose. A bit yeasty. Some earthy notes, and a good whiff of alcohol.

Tart at the beginning, smoothed over with some honey-like sweetness. Nice subtle cherry flavor, with just a bit of a yeasty characteristic. Some earthy bitterness keeps thing in reasonable balance.

Medium body, with lower fine carbonation. A bit of warming from the alcohol. Very interesting and enjoyable.

Bierguy5, Jan 25, 2009

9-Jan-2009 Home

Pours a reddish brown with a slight beige head which quickly fades to nothing. Aroma of Cherries and possible milk chocolate. The taste is a slightly sour cherry which quickly becomes strong cherries then a pleasant malt and spice finish. The beer leaves a thin syrupy (but pleasant) residue. This is a fine beer but I never crave more than one.

rlparker3, Jan 21, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -7%

In a snifter:

What a color! Very, very ruby, extremely attractive even in the dim lighting I saw it in. Basically no head, but I'm not sure if the beer or the bartender is to blame on that. Tons of banana bread in both the smell and the taste, which really worked quite well. Some honey, a lot of cherry, a little oak. The beer was honestly a little too sweet, the cherry just a bit overwhelming. Carbonation was a little higher than I would have liked, but Mad Elf is full bodied and velvety.

Overall: An interesting take on Belgian Strong and a Winter Seasonal. Worth a try just for the banana bread.

schroederm, Jan 21, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this beer in a 12 oz bottle.

A-Pours a rich amber color with 1/4" head that fades pretty quick.
S-Smells of Cherry and Honey, very little alcohol considering its abv%.
T-Alcohol is fairly subtle; cherries and honey dominate. Tastes like a strong amber ale.
M-Mouthfeel has decent carbonation, sweetness lingers.
D-Suprisingly drinkable at 11%abv. Could drink a couple of these brews without much problem at all.

casemw, Jan 20, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Small head, little lace. Brilliant blood red, like rudolph's nose.

Smell: Sweet malt, cherry and hint of roses. Alcohol is a bit too prevalent.

Taste: Sweet with a tart cherry twang. The honey is very mild. A bit medicinal.

Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonation is off.

Drinkability: I didn't smell or taste the high ABV, which I usually find very noticeable. Dangerously drinkable. Couldn't finish it fast enough. I really wish I had another right now.

craytonic, Jan 17, 2009