Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
vikingloki

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a pint glass with a small head that disappeared almost immediatly.

Nice red orange color, nothing about the small is overwhelming, just a brief whiff of hops.

First mouthful is tart, might be the carbonation, medium mouthfeel, no hint of hotness from the whopping 11% ABV.Very crisp, good balance, I would think this beer would smooth out and more flavors will come out with ageing.

Just a hint of honey and cherries, but obviously they were the big reason the ABV is high as it's not a malt monster of a beer. It's kinda wierd the ABV is high and the beer is not dark at all.

Very drinkable - very warming - 3 beers and I wouldn't recommend driving! I was hoping I'd like it more, but it's ok. The more I drink, the more I like. It reminds me of a barleywine more than anything else.

11-17-2007 01:26:06 | More by vikingloki
marcpal

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from glass into a pint glass. Tremendous beer- extremely impressed.

A: As listed, ruby red with thin head that dissipated. Lacing was minimal, nothing drastic.

S: Spicey with some alcohol/wine character. Is it from the cherries? Didnt notice the cherries but enticing.

M: Toastiness and just warming to the palate and the head. The alcohol kick in the background was very comfortinig. Respect others opinions, but I think this one really shines through.

T: Couldnt tell at first but it was definitely the honey that was coming through. Didnt really catch the cherries but a nice fruitiness that was really pleasant. Dellicate and unique balance between sugary and spicey. Such a tight seasonal. I had a few with a turkey pre-thanksgiving feast. Pefect for the meal.

D: Deception is key here. Although the warming alcohol is there, I could happily drop many of these ina row. Couldnt be more appropriate for the holidays. My favorite holiday beer, taking over for Anchor Christmas. Not a fan usually of Troegs either, but this is really good. Gotta load up for 08.

11-17-2007 01:13:28 | More by marcpal
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

This beer poured a copper color with a thin white head which disappears quickly and leaves minimal lacing. The smell was a bit lacking. It had a very dominate sweet smell. The taste was of honey and not much else. I really expected cherries but in this particular bottle I had none. It wasn't bad but when I see cherries I expect cherries. The really good thing was the 11% ABV wasn't dominant. The mouthfeel was medium body with medium carbonation. Overall drinkability was fair. It would have been great had I tasted cherries. I'll have to try another bottle.

11-14-2007 16:23:21 | More by Beerbuddha
BWH3

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Mad Elf Troeg Brewery
12 oz bottle in Goblet at 50 degrees F

Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed with honey and cherries.

Appearance: Clear copper brew with above average and steady stream of carbonation. Head pours bubbly light beige but dissipates rapidly to leave stable ring around glass. Simply head is weak for Belgian ale. Color is on lighter side for style and gas is perfect. (3.0)

Smell: Dark fruit, honey sweetness, and spiciness dominate the nose. Fragrant banana like esters are just beneath the surface buoying the other scents into the air. Some malt sweetness similar to Munich also is detectable. Some warm alcohol notes as well. The aroma is pleasant and well done but not insanely complex or bizarre. I’m not impressed by the cherries contribution to the aroma. (3.0)

Taste: A fair dark fruit and malt sweetness initially with additional sweetness of honey. The cherry flavor or tartness is undetectable. The alcohol warmth is perfect for a cold fall day, but the taste is not that gentle on the palate. The spiciness from phenols produced by the Belgian yeast could be more expressive but is present. Lastly the finishing hops clear the tongue nicely. Overall, average for style in general, but very good for an American interpretation. (3.0)

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body than I anticipated. I think this is appropriate for a Belgian Ales which typically have a discrepancy between the alcohol content and the body of the beer thanks to adjuncts like honey and candi. Carbonation is great for style. The carbonation even has that gentle carbonation common to Belgian styles which doesn’t cause one to belch too much. (4.5)

Drinkability: Fairly quaffable at 11% ABV. Not heavy or overly sweat. In fact, not too filling despite above average gas content. My only complaint is that the beer does not exceed my expectations of a superb Belgian Strong Dark Ale or some of the ratings on Beer Advocate (3.5)

11-12-2007 19:54:12 | More by BWH3
bosco7

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Very pretty ruby-brown color topped with a foamy head that sticks around a bit.

Cough syrup cherry, banana, some yeast, and alcohol in the nose.

Nice tripelesque flavors backed with some cherry. I pick up a lot of lemon zest, earth, and banana. The cherry hides in back and is quite dry.

Drinkability takes a hit because of the fruit and alcohol becomes a little tiresome on the palate. Overall a nice little beer that is truly warming.

11-12-2007 03:55:35 | More by bosco7
BeerSox

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz bottle into nonic (OOPS!)

It's hard to guage the appearance of this one considering I poured it into the wrong type of glass. I had no idea which style this was, I guess if I don't know I should check beforehand. The color is a deep and clear red wine hue. The head did show up, but quickly settled. I think being in a nonic didn't help this. I gave it a four, which I think is what I would give it if I put it in the correct glass.

Again, the nonic is probably going to affect the aroma. A sweet malt base with fruity yeast esters are dominant. The spice and honey do show up to add some good complexity. The alcohol is well detected. Phenols are low.

The honey shows up at first in the taste, along with some of the spices. The malts are syrupy and sweet, and a slightly tart flavor (probably the phenols) balance things out. The alcohol shows up at the end. The finish is mostly the sweeter flavors with some of the spices lingering.

Despite being in the wrong glass, this one was still pretty good. I tried to adjust the scores as if they were in the correct glass (I feel I have enough experience to be able to do this). Overall, it's a tasty beer with a lower amount of phenolic qualities, which is what I prefer. The alcohol makes its presence known though. Recommended (especially when it's in the correct glass).

11-11-2007 23:11:20 | More by BeerSox
Atlas1

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Gotta try something called Mad Elf, even if it is early on in the holiday season. Troegs does a number of very fine beers (Nugget Nectar, anyone?) and I hope this is no exception.

Poured into my DFH barrel pint glass, the Mad Elf is a thin-looking, clear copper/amber color with a nice full-bodied white head that dies down over time. Not much lace to speak of. The aroma screams strong Belgian and German dopplebock at the same time. Lots of candied sugar with bananas and, as intended, cherries. It's good, but it's almost a bit over the top for my liking. The taste is deep and rich, with notes of banana, spicy yeast, clove, honey, and sour cherry (although, in my opinion, the cherry flavor is a bit muted). Nice spicy hop kick on the back end of it, but it's also got a noticeable boozey quality to it. Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety.

This is a great spiced ale for the holidays. Not my favorite style of beer, but I think I knew that going into it. Honestly, I'd love to take a big IPA, like a Double Simcoe or a 90-Minute or a Two Hearted and mix it together with the Mad Elf to see what comes of it. I think it would make a fine combination. That said, this is a nice winter warmer. At 11% ABV, it'll do the trick. Enjoy around the fire place after a ski run.

11-10-2007 02:07:25 | More by Atlas1
JoeyBeerBelly

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

12oz bottle, served in a tulip glass.

A - clear, reddish/brown color with a small white head that went away despite the carbonation bubbles that continuosly rose from the bottom of the glass.

S - yeasty aroma, slight smell of cherries.

T - very nice tasting brew, taste more expensive than what it is.

M - light bodied, crisp and clean.

D - this is a very good brew, but 11% abv makes it a slow sipper.

11-09-2007 23:09:21 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
number1bum

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear ruby color with only a half finger of off-white head. Even with a vigorous pour it struggles to get much head, and retention is pretty poor. Not much lace or stick. Disappointing in that regard.

Smells quite boozy and fruity, with the cherries they use coming through along with some malt sweetness.

Taste is also very boozy, and the alcohol is a bit strong until it starts to warm. Warming is key here as the flavors smooth out and it's really very tasty. Tastes very fruity and sweet, with lots of malt sweetness, honey flavor and delicious cherry. There is a belgian yeast character to it that is noticeable throughout, as well. The sweetness starts to get cloying and bothersome for me the more I drink.

As hefty as this beer is the mouthfeel is a bit thin. I'd expect a much fuller body, but it's not. Still, it's smooth on the palate with very light carbonation, and is drying through the finish.

This is a really tasty beer, but as I said you must let it warm. It's the only way to let the flavor shine through the booze. It's a little rough around the edges, but the flavor is nice. The sweetness starts to get cloying, and I have trouble getting through more than one. Still, a tasty brew that is very nice around Christmas.

11-07-2007 03:15:16 | More by number1bum
brantadid

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured ruby red/burnt red color with a thin head. Very nice lacing. Wonderful body to this beer.

Smells like a belgian ale. The yeast comes right through. Sweet with a slight tartness in the nose.

Heat from the 11% alcohol comes through very quickly. Nice cherry flavor in the background. It doesn't taste artificial at all. A lot of spice in this beer. Makes for great depth of flavor. A lot of belgain characteristics to this beer.

Mouthfeel is terrific. Great, rich, creaminess. Completely coats your mouth. Low/moderate carbonation. I really nice sipping beer.

I would definately drink this beer again. I will also be cellaring some of it for next year.

10-28-2007 20:02:08 | More by brantadid
ccrida

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle, cellared 1 year, poured into my Mad Elf snifter. I've had this beer way to many times, from bottles and draft, but this is the first time I've had one with any significant age.

Appearance is a bright, clear dark ruby, with a 1 finger light khaki, large bubbled head quickly recedes to a decent collar, leaving moderate lace. I'm impressed with the amount of effervescence it still has, and I love the color.

Aroma is dark fruit, classic BSDA, but more figgy then the bright cherry it exhibits when young. Sweet honey like with the slightest bit of a metallic tinge to it, as well as a punch of alcohol. Overall, very sweet and thick.

Taste is incredibly rich, but I'm immediately struck by how rounded out this has become, in a most enjoyable way. Seems likes it's gotten softer yet thicker. There's still a nice spicy yeast character...young, I though it tasted a lot like Dupont's yeast, but now I'm leaning more abbey, with the mild phenols. I'll have to reassess that when I have this year's...While I like the punch from the cherries when fresh, I'm really like how it's softened, but I think it's still got more potential to run. Luckily I've got quite a few left! Overall, I really like the complexity, in spite of the fact that it's really quite assessable for a big ass Belgian style noel. Still, the richness dominates, although paradoxically, it seems less so as it warms, where the fig morphs into more grapelike notes. Strange though, since I served this at cellar temps! The alcohol warms the back of the throat and lingers on the tongue, but is easily lost in the depth of taste.

Mouthfeel is very thick, in spite of the spritz and lighter color. Very cloying from the honey, which is not really my style. Belgians should be digestible, and that's probably the biggest knock here, especially as I think it's thickened with age. But again, as it warms it seems to lighten up, crazy. Guess I'll get to know for sure soon enough, when I visit my folks for the holidays...This cellar sample tonight has got me in an xmas state of mind...bring on the noel's!

Drinkability is fairly low, in spite of how much I really enjoy this special treat, as it's so thick and rich. You don't want to rush it, and you probably shouldn't have more then one, or maybe 3! That being said, when I lived in Pittsburgh and it was readily available, I pigged out on it more then once, and it still has a fond spot in my heart...So I'll say average.

10-27-2007 09:53:59 | More by ccrida
Kadonny

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bottle into my European style glass. This was the 2007 version of Elf purchased just a few days ago.

A: A nice reddish amber color with a thin head. Very little carbonation came through with the pour. Lacing was minimal.

S: Not a lot of smell for that strong of an ale. Cherries, fruit, malt, sweetness and a hint of spice, but nothing really bowles you over.

T: Sweet cherries and fruit with a nice subtle malt undertone, I can get a little of the honey, but mostly it's just a sweet flavor. Also this years beer had a decent amount of spice included that came through on the middle to the finish of the beer. The taste here is very different, but the more you drink it, the more you start to really enjoy it. By the time I got to the end of the glass, I wanted to pour another.

M: I read from others how it had too strong of an alcohol feel, but for me it was just the opposite. I could feel the alcohol, but it was blended in very well with the flavors, in fact I would have never known it was an 11% beer based on mouthfeel and taste. Overall I thought the mouthfeel was just fine.

D: For me, drinkability was very good. As I said earlier, it takes you a few sips to settle into this beer, but from that point on the drinkability builds. By the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I for sure wanted another one. Is this sessionable? Maybe, but watch out for the 11%.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer, even though it is a little early to be drinking a Holiday beer, but there is not doubt this beer warms your belly with the spice flavor. I'm not a huge Belgian style guy, but I really really like this beer. One word sums up Mad Elf. YUMMY. Enjoy it.

10-26-2007 14:37:16 | More by Kadonny
imasickboy

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Yet another courtesy of the frog. 2006 season, drank September 2007.

Poured a beautiful reddish amber with a nice two finger, semi-dense head. Truly an outstanding looking beer. I am a sucker for a red-tinted beer.

The smell was no surprise. Cherry and honey. Neither was a overpowering aroma, which was a relief.

It had a medium body, and felt very smooth in the mouth. There was a bit of alcohol feel to it, which is the only reason this one didn't rate even higher.

Tasted simply of a decent, medium bodied beer, with a bit of cherry and honey. Aftertaste was the same, only the cherry and honey seemed to stick around just a bit longer. So ridiculously simple, but extraordinary. I wish I had more to say about this one, but I don't. It is what it is, and it is a mighty fine beer. Unfortunately, with the ABV being so high, drinkability suffers. I could easily drink MANY of these, would it not kill me.

Despite the steep cost, I will be purchasing either a case or a sixtel of this one when it comes out the end of next month. This is a top-notch beer. I love it.

09-25-2007 21:01:07 | More by imasickboy
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev +7%

I assume this brew was last winters release. No date on the bottle to indicate otherwise.

A - orangish brown in color with a small off white head
S - sweet almost vinous brown sugar malts, honey and cherries.
T - similar to the aroma but with a honey softened effect. Kind of like the edge was taken off and an injection of warmth added. Quite tasty.
M - medium to full bodied, mildly carbonated smooth
D - at 11% this one hides the abv deceptively well. Aging nicely and was great as an evening relaxing drink.

I would buy this every season. quite a treat.

09-06-2007 15:36:12 | More by barleywinebrewer
alexgash

Connecticut

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Tawny orange-copper body with golden edges, sparkling bubbles, and a dense, creamy, concave, dirty off-khaki head. Nice. Rich nose of sweet yet tangy fruits (melons, tropical fruits, pears). Noticeable cooked vegetable aroma makes for an interesting mix. Notes of honey, spice, and alcohol too.

Taste starts off with hints of toasted malts and moves quickly to cherry and tropical fruit sweetness with a tart edge. Detectable alcohol burn early on as well, which is not a good thing. Tart fruits and vinous flavors dry out early sweetness near the finish. Medium-full body dissipates in the finish with a shot of alcohol warmth. A little too ethanol-y. A pretty good beer up until the rough, boozy finish.

09-06-2007 02:20:35 | More by alexgash
John_M

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Had this on tap at Max's during their X-mas in July last night. This was the first beer of the evening for me, which was a good thing, as I never would have been able to appreciate it after a couple of imperial stouts and barlywine.

The beer pours an interesting red mahogany color, but without a great deal of head retention and only adequate lacing. I don't really get a lot on the nose, just some cherry medicine and some noticeable alcohol. On the palate this is pure cherry cough drop, but with some navel orange and grapefruit on the finish. The beer is sweet, but not overly so, and it really doesn't come across as a big beer (despite the abv.). Still, the alcohol is certainly noticeable, and the beer seems to lose something in the finish. I'm almost wondering if the beer has lost something with age, as it really seems a bit lighter then what I recall from previous samples. As the beer sits in the glass the sweetness turns a bit cloying, with more honey and cherry flavor. The drinkability is still pretty impressive for such a big beer, but I have to say I'm not as impressed with this beer as I thought I would be.

A good beer, but not a great one.

07-18-2007 15:42:43 | More by John_M
mcallister

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Fiery earthy orange/ruby/scarlet pour. No head except for some minimal traces around the edges of a tan formation.

Very belgain spice driven aromas and something in there I'm just not crazy about but also I'm not sure what it is. Bing cherry, orange marmalade, belgian yeast, herbal suggestions as well. Fruits and lively aromas.

Lots of evaporating alcohol on the tongue and the chest. Medium bodied to slightly thin especially for the style. Some cherry, spicey, herbal, earthy belgian yeasty aspects. Nothing says "stand out" about this beer. Just seems like an everyday run of the mill American brewed belgian style beer. However it is not a bad beer by any means.

07-01-2007 19:44:00 | More by mcallister
bort11

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to DuqTroops for this one. He got me a 2005 and a 2006 in a trade. I had these one after another, starting with the '05

12 oz bottle, 2006 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip. Thin white head that recedes to a thin ring. Color is a clear reddish tint, a lot lighter than the 05. Smell still has a distinct Belgium yeast aroma, with a slight hint of the cherries. The cherry taste is more prominent but is still blended well with the honey sweetness. The yeast gives it a bit of tartness as well.
Mouthfeel is is a bit thinner but still a solid medium body. Mild carbonation.
This is still a pretty drinkable beer, but I think the 05 really benefited from the aging.

05-24-2007 03:42:29 | More by bort11
Tyrawlings

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark ruby red in color with muted copper hues. Dense off white head pours two fingers thick. Some retention. Thin sticky lacing.

S: Bread like malts. Hints of cherry. Sweet honey. Bitter phenols and warm alcohol.

T: Big, sweet bready malts are followed by a splash of cherries and honey. Clean and soft hop presence is taken over by tastes of raw husk and bitter phenols. Wet earth and a touch of citrus juice are finished off by a spicy warming alcohol.

M: Smooth and full bodied. Moderate carbonation. Warm and dry.

D: An altogether different interpretation for the style. The cherry and honey are blended in perfectly. Dangerously drinkable for the high alcohol content. Recommended.

*EDIT* Jan. 21,2010: Recently sampled perfectly aged 2007 batch and this brew is specatcular.

05-14-2007 22:59:45 | More by Tyrawlings
atsprings

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Acquired in a trade with ThomasHardy. The beer pours a crisp red amber with a thin head that quickly diminishes to a ring. The aroma is dominated by cherries and sweet malts. The taste is an extremely unique blend of cherries, sweet fruits, and even a touch of caramel. The beer is medium bodied and the alcohol warms, but is altogether well hidden. I must say, this is a truly unique beer that can be enjoyed any time of year. I look forward to trying some next year and see if enjoying it in the winter makes it taste even better.

05-01-2007 01:17:48 | More by atsprings
TurdFurgison

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

I tried this from a 3L bottle on Dark Lord Day (thanks Todd). This is one of only 2 beers I'll rate from that day (out of God knows how many others I tried "splashes" of), because it really stood out and I was able to get a decent sized glass of it...

Deep brown color with a wispy almost-foam on top (bearing in mind it was poured into a cognac glass). Delicious aroma of cherries and dark fruits, not unlike a lightly muted Trois Pistoles but with a spice component. The flavor was much better than I'd hoped, lots of fruit and fruity esters, definitely cherry comes to mind.

The beer was thick enough to coat my mouth and keep the flavor long after each sip. Outstanding, I was really glad to have tried it.

04-30-2007 12:21:50 | More by TurdFurgison
emerge077

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to Akorsak at Dark Lord day for this one...

Pours a translucent red, with a finger of foam.

Aroma is spicy, and lightly sweet and spritzy. A little bit of bubblegum.

Taste seems balanced, with a nice residual pepper & spice in the aftertaste. Label states that honey and cherries are added. Honey is there in raw form, not especially sweet, and not much cherry. Deceptive ABV, never would have guessed it's 11%.

Nice carbonation carries it along, fairly easy to drink, but watch out, that elf looks pretty crazy.

04-29-2007 07:31:02 | More by emerge077
PBRstreetgang

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to FroggyFrog for the sample! Pours a clear amber hue with a fizzy, pale tan head of two fingers. Dismal retention and no lacing but thats forgivable given the ABV. Wild berry and tropical fruit phenols; more alcoholic than Belgian. Vanilla bean and toasted malt aromas in the background, with undertones of champagne yeast and honey. First sip is sweet with toasty pale malt, a touch of caramel, and some errant dextrins. A flash of zesty marachino cherry, reminiscent of a young Kreik. Subdued Belgian Phenolics are more tart than funky, and combines with the other flavors to mask the alcohol very well. The aftertaste is a little boozey, and further dries out the palate after the mild hop bitterness balances the malts. The mouthfeel is ultimately well-balanced, dancing from sweet, to tart, to dry, and finally a clean alcoholic heat with all flavors receeding- leaving no cloying or residual sugar. The medium-light body is well-attentuated and well-carbonated- thus giving the mouthfeel a light and spritzy character- capable of lifting the powerful elements displayed. Finishes surprisingly mellow, as the malt, alcohol and yeast profile seem to apex, then fade away rapidly leaving only faint white-wine notes on the tounge for the last few swigs. Solid drinkability given the high alcohol, and an impressive interpretation of the style.

04-25-2007 05:14:52 | More by PBRstreetgang
edskirk3

4.4/5  rDev +14%

I've been saving this for a while and today I was thirsty enough to drink it.Just one bottle (12 ounces) from Holiday Season 2006. Served in a Cognac glass.

Pours an attractive red (like a sunset).Off-white head that tries to stay around but doesn't, instead leaving cirrus-like whisps on the surface. Nice aroma of cherries laced with alcohol.

The palate is sweet and malty. Quite delicious if I must say. Like drinking candy. It starts off like what I can best describe as a hard candy, which then gives way to a note of alcohol before finally getting to the bready part. I'm really enjoying the whole thing. Honestly, the alcohol is barely there at this point. Mad Elf was worth the wait and I really wish I had bought more than one right now.

04-24-2007 01:05:08 | More by edskirk3
scott

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

V.06 - Thanks Tony...
Deep red pour with a medium rocky head of tan. Fair amount of passive carbonation happening.
Smells of raisin, cherry, bread.
Sweet interpretation of the aroma on the tongue. Full-bodied & creamy, well balanced & clean. Great mouthfeel. Finishes very nice.
Easy to drink, and the alcohol is barely noticeble as it warms.
Recommended.
Pulled this from the cellar (not remembering the style, only that it was a seasonal) and on the first sip, I thought I was drinking Chimay.

04-05-2007 20:13:21 | More by scott