Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nice red/copper color, although with very little head and lacing. Has a nice scent to it, a very nice cherry aroma to go with the deep ale scent. Nice hop/malt mix with both the scent and taste. Very nice taste, one of the strongest ales I've had in a while while just hinting at the high ABV in the taste. Nice splash of cherry in the flavor without taking over. Not the smoothest, but that's to be expected at 11%. I will not have any trouble finishing the sixer. I may even get the large bottle to take back home for the holidays.

JamesS, Dec 01, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

The appearance is a very pretty, clear, red-amber color. A hard pour delivers a short head that disappears in a few seconds and no lacing.
The smell is of raisins, a hint of cherry and malt.
The taste is cherry, honey and the yeast with a slight bit of alcohol.
Mouthfeel is on the thin side but has noticeable carbonation feel on the tip of the tongue.
Drinkability is pretty good though the 11% alcohol would limit me to two at a time.

meatyard, Dec 01, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Clear, reddish brown, with no head, just a ring of bubbles around the top.

S: Spicy yeast, sweet malts and and then the cherries hit you.

T: Cherries and honey upfront, spicy yeast flavors of coriander and pepper, orange peel all balanced by malts and alcohol. You find more in every sip.

M: A lot more carbination than expected but it helps balance the sweetness and the alcohol.

D: This is a great winter warmer that is complex, different, and well balanced. Could easily down two or three servings of this after dinner.

The only thing I would like to know is why isn't it bottle-conditioned.

Biscuit033, Dec 01, 2007

2007 Winter Release

A: Not what I've come to expect out of Troegs. Absolutely no head or lacing throughout the glass. A deep amber color, almost red.

S: Exactly what they advertise on the bottle, lots of cherries and some honey. Actually a very nice smelling beer.

T: A tasty brew with honey and cherries. Also some caramel as well as peanut flavors come out.

M: The mouthfeel is my biggest problem with this beer. Very weak with some carbonation.

D: The drinkability is very good in a bad way. Because this beer is so thin it's very easy to down beer after beer. Hell mad elf is so thin and drinkable it could almost be a session beer. Overall not impressed.

cordelia3310, Nov 30, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

pours with little head, but the ring along the snifter stays present throughout. the amber color is deep and very red, while the nose has a strong alcohol scent emenating cherries and a slight maltiness. this is a think mouthy beer having an immense flavor, a very subtle cherry flavor that is not over bearing nicely balanced with hops. i really like this beer, and it will store!

jscondon, Nov 29, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Mad Elf glass which was purchased solely to drink Mad Elf out of. Where a screened on date would normally appear, happy holiday's appears. No born on date, vintage to be found.

Really nice dark-ruby color. Almost like a brown that has some red injected into it. One finger of head dissipates kind of quickly, though not uniformly. Some parts still have 1/2 finger of head when the first holes in the wedding-dress-white head come through.

A delicious smelling beer. Cherries, honey and Belgian yeast; everything the beer said it had. Some alcohol present as well, but at 11%, that's to be expected. A really nice smelling beer.

Really big finish, with a lot of cherries and a lot of alcohol both present at different stages featuring different intensities. A real nice sweet honey flavor on the tip of the tongue that is probably the highlight of the beer. No really transitory flavors; kind of goes from a honey/nectar bomb to a cherry/alcohol bomb, although the finish kind of has a ginger ale-type quality to it; it's alcohol, but alcohol that tastes like Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Obviously, it's a young, young beer, so that will probably be smoothed over over time. I think I remember on the Troegs tour the guy mentioned Mad Elf was fermented for some ridiculously short amount of time, something like 9 weeks(though I may be mistaken), so this beer needs a lot of time. This beer has the potential to be great in 12 months. As for now, two big distinct flavors, not much in between. Like a sandwich on fresh out of the oven olive-oil and sun-dried tomato cibada bread with a kraft single in the middle.

There's some, but there is not a lot, which I think goes back to the needing more time problem. It does not have much carbonation, so it's no real problem to swallow. It's pretty well made, and it's a very smooth beer, which the alcohol hidden for most of the mouth. Some really big palate gripping in the back of the mouth, almost offensive at times. Nice mouthfeel; let's age it and see if it gets a Barry Bonds in the late 90's level mouthfeel. It's got the potential to.

Can you drink one and not realize it's 11% ABV? Absolutely. Can you drink more than one and not realize you're drinking an 11% alcohol beer? Now we're getting into the land of 'maybes' and 'probably nots' Even in the first one, some nice warming alcohol is present. For one, the drinkability is almost perfect; for more than one it's less than impressive. So it's above average but not quite good.

Why write last remarks on this beer so early? I'll be back in 12 months. And probably 24. This is a 'Lost:Season 1' beer: total cliffhanger with a huge reason to believe it's going to be fantastic.

bigeyedfish, Nov 28, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -43%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Mad Elf is dark maple colored brew with a thin tan head. It is strongly perfumed with an aroma of cherry-flavored cough syrup that quickly overwhelms faint wisps of hop.

Taste opens spicy with phenols, then sweet malt kept in check by cherry vapors and alcoholic burn. I get a slight tartness in the background and possibly a banana note. The mouthfeel is viscous, thick, flat and syrupy, but I was only able to feel that once my tounge had been numbed to the scorching alcohol.

This is a valient attempt at a new take on x-mas beer but I am not into it. I have been very impressed with the other Troegs beers I've tried, but find Mad Elf a little to close to Mad Dog.

JudgeRoughneck, Nov 28, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Clockwork Orange for this one....An extra in a package I recieved today.

A - Beautiful shade of amber with ruby like tones. Poured nice finger to finger and a half head that quickly receded to wisps.

S - Not as much going on here as I'd expect. I smell honey and yeast can't pick up the cherries that the color makes me expect.

T - Nice Belgian style dark ale. I pick up just a wee bit of the cherries here, along with toffee/caramel malt and just a hint of that circus peanut finish that is usually more prevalent in Hefes and Belgian Pales.

M - Kinda thin, not much lingering on the palate here. Carbonation is nice and cuts the alcohol well.

D - Still kinda finding my way in this category. Overall this beer is very solid and while I would have it again, I won't seek it out or likely drink more than one in a sitting and that's not because of the alcohol content which is well masked, but the fact that there are many more interesting brews out there to try.

jtrockchalk, Nov 28, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A crystal clear reddish brown color. When poured aggressively a faint wispy head formed and faded quickly. The smell is sweet and very coriander spice and fruity. Light-Medium bodied, the mouth feel is whoa fully under carbonated, but the spiciness and tingle from the alcohol keep things interesting. The spicy coriander cinnamon character is slightly overwhelming. I understand that its made from cherries. I am definitely not getting the dark fruit fig taste that i expected. Oh well, just another interpretation i guess. Give it a shot.

jjayjaye, Nov 25, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Received this wonderful creation in a trade with ClockworksOrange. I’m quickly becoming a huge Troegs fan since I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve tried. Drank from my Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful shade of crimson with bits of yellow highlights. A decent one finger foamy head forms leaving a spotty cap and thin collar. A small amount of lacing is left but nothing to write home about.
Smell- A bit of spice up front with hints of banana esters. Lightly fruity with a bit of cherry but not as much as I expected. A bit of alcohol shows it head but not as much as I was expecting from the other reviews.
Taste- There are the cherries! Starts with a bit of sweetness from the cherries and the toffee malt. Hella boozy too! Mixed into all this is some banana spice and a bit of a citrus bite. This all culminates at the end to leave a lingering banana fosters like after taste that teeters on cloying.
Mouthfeel- Kind of thin with a bit of warming and a nice zesty carbonation.
Drinkability- This is a pretty interesting brew. I like the direction it’s headed but it seems to lose it’s way midway through. I’d like to see a bit more balance to cut the sweetness. Definitely worth a try though and big thanks to ClockworksOrange for the opportunity!

younger35, Nov 18, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a pint glass with a small head that disappeared almost immediatly.

Nice red orange color, nothing about the small is overwhelming, just a brief whiff of hops.

First mouthful is tart, might be the carbonation, medium mouthfeel, no hint of hotness from the whopping 11% ABV.Very crisp, good balance, I would think this beer would smooth out and more flavors will come out with ageing.

Just a hint of honey and cherries, but obviously they were the big reason the ABV is high as it's not a malt monster of a beer. It's kinda wierd the ABV is high and the beer is not dark at all.

Very drinkable - very warming - 3 beers and I wouldn't recommend driving! I was hoping I'd like it more, but it's ok. The more I drink, the more I like. It reminds me of a barleywine more than anything else.

vikingloki, Nov 17, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from glass into a pint glass. Tremendous beer- extremely impressed.

A: As listed, ruby red with thin head that dissipated. Lacing was minimal, nothing drastic.

S: Spicey with some alcohol/wine character. Is it from the cherries? Didnt notice the cherries but enticing.

M: Toastiness and just warming to the palate and the head. The alcohol kick in the background was very comfortinig. Respect others opinions, but I think this one really shines through.

T: Couldnt tell at first but it was definitely the honey that was coming through. Didnt really catch the cherries but a nice fruitiness that was really pleasant. Dellicate and unique balance between sugary and spicey. Such a tight seasonal. I had a few with a turkey pre-thanksgiving feast. Pefect for the meal.

D: Deception is key here. Although the warming alcohol is there, I could happily drop many of these ina row. Couldnt be more appropriate for the holidays. My favorite holiday beer, taking over for Anchor Christmas. Not a fan usually of Troegs either, but this is really good. Gotta load up for 08.

marcpal, Nov 17, 2007

This beer poured a copper color with a thin white head which disappears quickly and leaves minimal lacing. The smell was a bit lacking. It had a very dominate sweet smell. The taste was of honey and not much else. I really expected cherries but in this particular bottle I had none. It wasn't bad but when I see cherries I expect cherries. The really good thing was the 11% ABV wasn't dominant. The mouthfeel was medium body with medium carbonation. Overall drinkability was fair. It would have been great had I tasted cherries. I'll have to try another bottle.

Beerbuddha, Nov 14, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Mad Elf Troeg Brewery
12 oz bottle in Goblet at 50 degrees F

Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed with honey and cherries.

Appearance: Clear copper brew with above average and steady stream of carbonation. Head pours bubbly light beige but dissipates rapidly to leave stable ring around glass. Simply head is weak for Belgian ale. Color is on lighter side for style and gas is perfect. (3.0)

Smell: Dark fruit, honey sweetness, and spiciness dominate the nose. Fragrant banana like esters are just beneath the surface buoying the other scents into the air. Some malt sweetness similar to Munich also is detectable. Some warm alcohol notes as well. The aroma is pleasant and well done but not insanely complex or bizarre. I’m not impressed by the cherries contribution to the aroma. (3.0)

Taste: A fair dark fruit and malt sweetness initially with additional sweetness of honey. The cherry flavor or tartness is undetectable. The alcohol warmth is perfect for a cold fall day, but the taste is not that gentle on the palate. The spiciness from phenols produced by the Belgian yeast could be more expressive but is present. Lastly the finishing hops clear the tongue nicely. Overall, average for style in general, but very good for an American interpretation. (3.0)

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body than I anticipated. I think this is appropriate for a Belgian Ales which typically have a discrepancy between the alcohol content and the body of the beer thanks to adjuncts like honey and candi. Carbonation is great for style. The carbonation even has that gentle carbonation common to Belgian styles which doesn’t cause one to belch too much. (4.5)

Drinkability: Fairly quaffable at 11% ABV. Not heavy or overly sweat. In fact, not too filling despite above average gas content. My only complaint is that the beer does not exceed my expectations of a superb Belgian Strong Dark Ale or some of the ratings on Beer Advocate (3.5)

BWH3, Nov 12, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Very pretty ruby-brown color topped with a foamy head that sticks around a bit.

Cough syrup cherry, banana, some yeast, and alcohol in the nose.

Nice tripelesque flavors backed with some cherry. I pick up a lot of lemon zest, earth, and banana. The cherry hides in back and is quite dry.

Drinkability takes a hit because of the fruit and alcohol becomes a little tiresome on the palate. Overall a nice little beer that is truly warming.

bosco7, Nov 12, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz bottle into nonic (OOPS!)

It's hard to guage the appearance of this one considering I poured it into the wrong type of glass. I had no idea which style this was, I guess if I don't know I should check beforehand. The color is a deep and clear red wine hue. The head did show up, but quickly settled. I think being in a nonic didn't help this. I gave it a four, which I think is what I would give it if I put it in the correct glass.

Again, the nonic is probably going to affect the aroma. A sweet malt base with fruity yeast esters are dominant. The spice and honey do show up to add some good complexity. The alcohol is well detected. Phenols are low.

The honey shows up at first in the taste, along with some of the spices. The malts are syrupy and sweet, and a slightly tart flavor (probably the phenols) balance things out. The alcohol shows up at the end. The finish is mostly the sweeter flavors with some of the spices lingering.

Despite being in the wrong glass, this one was still pretty good. I tried to adjust the scores as if they were in the correct glass (I feel I have enough experience to be able to do this). Overall, it's a tasty beer with a lower amount of phenolic qualities, which is what I prefer. The alcohol makes its presence known though. Recommended (especially when it's in the correct glass).

BeerSox, Nov 11, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Gotta try something called Mad Elf, even if it is early on in the holiday season. Troegs does a number of very fine beers (Nugget Nectar, anyone?) and I hope this is no exception.

Poured into my DFH barrel pint glass, the Mad Elf is a thin-looking, clear copper/amber color with a nice full-bodied white head that dies down over time. Not much lace to speak of. The aroma screams strong Belgian and German dopplebock at the same time. Lots of candied sugar with bananas and, as intended, cherries. It's good, but it's almost a bit over the top for my liking. The taste is deep and rich, with notes of banana, spicy yeast, clove, honey, and sour cherry (although, in my opinion, the cherry flavor is a bit muted). Nice spicy hop kick on the back end of it, but it's also got a noticeable boozey quality to it. Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety.

This is a great spiced ale for the holidays. Not my favorite style of beer, but I think I knew that going into it. Honestly, I'd love to take a big IPA, like a Double Simcoe or a 90-Minute or a Two Hearted and mix it together with the Mad Elf to see what comes of it. I think it would make a fine combination. That said, this is a nice winter warmer. At 11% ABV, it'll do the trick. Enjoy around the fire place after a ski run.

Atlas1, Nov 10, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

12oz bottle, served in a tulip glass.

A - clear, reddish/brown color with a small white head that went away despite the carbonation bubbles that continuosly rose from the bottom of the glass.

S - yeasty aroma, slight smell of cherries.

T - very nice tasting brew, taste more expensive than what it is.

M - light bodied, crisp and clean.

D - this is a very good brew, but 11% abv makes it a slow sipper.

JoeyBeerBelly, Nov 09, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear ruby color with only a half finger of off-white head. Even with a vigorous pour it struggles to get much head, and retention is pretty poor. Not much lace or stick. Disappointing in that regard.

Smells quite boozy and fruity, with the cherries they use coming through along with some malt sweetness.

Taste is also very boozy, and the alcohol is a bit strong until it starts to warm. Warming is key here as the flavors smooth out and it's really very tasty. Tastes very fruity and sweet, with lots of malt sweetness, honey flavor and delicious cherry. There is a belgian yeast character to it that is noticeable throughout, as well. The sweetness starts to get cloying and bothersome for me the more I drink.

As hefty as this beer is the mouthfeel is a bit thin. I'd expect a much fuller body, but it's not. Still, it's smooth on the palate with very light carbonation, and is drying through the finish.

This is a really tasty beer, but as I said you must let it warm. It's the only way to let the flavor shine through the booze. It's a little rough around the edges, but the flavor is nice. The sweetness starts to get cloying, and I have trouble getting through more than one. Still, a tasty brew that is very nice around Christmas.

number1bum, Nov 07, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured ruby red/burnt red color with a thin head. Very nice lacing. Wonderful body to this beer.

Smells like a belgian ale. The yeast comes right through. Sweet with a slight tartness in the nose.

Heat from the 11% alcohol comes through very quickly. Nice cherry flavor in the background. It doesn't taste artificial at all. A lot of spice in this beer. Makes for great depth of flavor. A lot of belgain characteristics to this beer.

Mouthfeel is terrific. Great, rich, creaminess. Completely coats your mouth. Low/moderate carbonation. I really nice sipping beer.

I would definately drink this beer again. I will also be cellaring some of it for next year.

brantadid, Oct 28, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle, cellared 1 year, poured into my Mad Elf snifter. I've had this beer way to many times, from bottles and draft, but this is the first time I've had one with any significant age.

Appearance is a bright, clear dark ruby, with a 1 finger light khaki, large bubbled head quickly recedes to a decent collar, leaving moderate lace. I'm impressed with the amount of effervescence it still has, and I love the color.

Aroma is dark fruit, classic BSDA, but more figgy then the bright cherry it exhibits when young. Sweet honey like with the slightest bit of a metallic tinge to it, as well as a punch of alcohol. Overall, very sweet and thick.

Taste is incredibly rich, but I'm immediately struck by how rounded out this has become, in a most enjoyable way. Seems likes it's gotten softer yet thicker. There's still a nice spicy yeast character...young, I though it tasted a lot like Dupont's yeast, but now I'm leaning more abbey, with the mild phenols. I'll have to reassess that when I have this year's...While I like the punch from the cherries when fresh, I'm really like how it's softened, but I think it's still got more potential to run. Luckily I've got quite a few left! Overall, I really like the complexity, in spite of the fact that it's really quite assessable for a big ass Belgian style noel. Still, the richness dominates, although paradoxically, it seems less so as it warms, where the fig morphs into more grapelike notes. Strange though, since I served this at cellar temps! The alcohol warms the back of the throat and lingers on the tongue, but is easily lost in the depth of taste.

Mouthfeel is very thick, in spite of the spritz and lighter color. Very cloying from the honey, which is not really my style. Belgians should be digestible, and that's probably the biggest knock here, especially as I think it's thickened with age. But again, as it warms it seems to lighten up, crazy. Guess I'll get to know for sure soon enough, when I visit my folks for the holidays...This cellar sample tonight has got me in an xmas state of mind...bring on the noel's!

Drinkability is fairly low, in spite of how much I really enjoy this special treat, as it's so thick and rich. You don't want to rush it, and you probably shouldn't have more then one, or maybe 3! That being said, when I lived in Pittsburgh and it was readily available, I pigged out on it more then once, and it still has a fond spot in my heart...So I'll say average.

ccrida, Oct 27, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bottle into my European style glass. This was the 2007 version of Elf purchased just a few days ago.

A: A nice reddish amber color with a thin head. Very little carbonation came through with the pour. Lacing was minimal.

S: Not a lot of smell for that strong of an ale. Cherries, fruit, malt, sweetness and a hint of spice, but nothing really bowles you over.

T: Sweet cherries and fruit with a nice subtle malt undertone, I can get a little of the honey, but mostly it's just a sweet flavor. Also this years beer had a decent amount of spice included that came through on the middle to the finish of the beer. The taste here is very different, but the more you drink it, the more you start to really enjoy it. By the time I got to the end of the glass, I wanted to pour another.

M: I read from others how it had too strong of an alcohol feel, but for me it was just the opposite. I could feel the alcohol, but it was blended in very well with the flavors, in fact I would have never known it was an 11% beer based on mouthfeel and taste. Overall I thought the mouthfeel was just fine.

D: For me, drinkability was very good. As I said earlier, it takes you a few sips to settle into this beer, but from that point on the drinkability builds. By the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I for sure wanted another one. Is this sessionable? Maybe, but watch out for the 11%.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer, even though it is a little early to be drinking a Holiday beer, but there is not doubt this beer warms your belly with the spice flavor. I'm not a huge Belgian style guy, but I really really like this beer. One word sums up Mad Elf. YUMMY. Enjoy it.

Kadonny, Oct 26, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Yet another courtesy of the frog. 2006 season, drank September 2007.

Poured a beautiful reddish amber with a nice two finger, semi-dense head. Truly an outstanding looking beer. I am a sucker for a red-tinted beer.

The smell was no surprise. Cherry and honey. Neither was a overpowering aroma, which was a relief.

It had a medium body, and felt very smooth in the mouth. There was a bit of alcohol feel to it, which is the only reason this one didn't rate even higher.

Tasted simply of a decent, medium bodied beer, with a bit of cherry and honey. Aftertaste was the same, only the cherry and honey seemed to stick around just a bit longer. So ridiculously simple, but extraordinary. I wish I had more to say about this one, but I don't. It is what it is, and it is a mighty fine beer. Unfortunately, with the ABV being so high, drinkability suffers. I could easily drink MANY of these, would it not kill me.

Despite the steep cost, I will be purchasing either a case or a sixtel of this one when it comes out the end of next month. This is a top-notch beer. I love it.

imasickboy, Sep 25, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +7%

I assume this brew was last winters release. No date on the bottle to indicate otherwise.

A - orangish brown in color with a small off white head
S - sweet almost vinous brown sugar malts, honey and cherries.
T - similar to the aroma but with a honey softened effect. Kind of like the edge was taken off and an injection of warmth added. Quite tasty.
M - medium to full bodied, mildly carbonated smooth
D - at 11% this one hides the abv deceptively well. Aging nicely and was great as an evening relaxing drink.

I would buy this every season. quite a treat.

barleywinebrewer, Sep 06, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Tawny orange-copper body with golden edges, sparkling bubbles, and a dense, creamy, concave, dirty off-khaki head. Nice. Rich nose of sweet yet tangy fruits (melons, tropical fruits, pears). Noticeable cooked vegetable aroma makes for an interesting mix. Notes of honey, spice, and alcohol too.

Taste starts off with hints of toasted malts and moves quickly to cherry and tropical fruit sweetness with a tart edge. Detectable alcohol burn early on as well, which is not a good thing. Tart fruits and vinous flavors dry out early sweetness near the finish. Medium-full body dissipates in the finish with a shot of alcohol warmth. A little too ethanol-y. A pretty good beer up until the rough, boozy finish.

alexgash, Sep 06, 2007