Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries

(Beer added by: WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Amber-chestnut color with a low tan ring for a head, low-no carbonation, and no lace... :-(. Light spicy cherry aroma with some maltiness. Sweet malty cherry-ish flavors ... a bit cloying with some honey-ish character. Medium bodied and flat with a light spicy sweet malt finish.

Not sure what all the hype is about since this is the second time in a few years I've tried this and I've not been impressed at all either time.

Per label: "Ale brewed with honey and cherries"

Per TBC website:
15 IBU's
Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Pennsylvania Honey
West Coast Cherries

Bottled: 10/27/?? ('03' emb on bottom)
Tasted: 12/24/06

($1.79 / 12 oz.)

RBorsato, Dec 28, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours ruby red with a thin head that soon becomes a patch.

The smell is of cherries, honey and alcohol.

The taste is of tart cherries. Subtle hints of sweet honey and spicy, doughy yeast. Sharp alcohol. Malt and yeast dominate, with little input from hops. Sweettart, alcohol finish. Aftertaste is medicinal - almost like a cough drop. Medium-bodied and sharp. (Cellaring for a good while might mellow it.)

An interesting brew - fruity and sweet. A slow sipper.

jwc215, Dec 28, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer pours a golden color with a light brown tint. It has a thin, off white head. The head fades quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

This beer has a fruity aroma. I smell raisins, and figs. It also has a slightly clovey spicy aroma. It has a slightly biscuity malt aroma also. The high alcohol content is very well hidden in the aroma.

This beer has a sweet malty flavor. I can taste some spicyness. It has a slight cherry flavor to it that I didnt pick up in the aroma untill I tasted it. As with the aroma, the ABV is well hidden in the taste.

This beer is smooth. It is full bodied, but not overly aggressive. It is only lightly carbonated. It leaves a sweet cherry like aftertaste.

This beer might not be the greatest session beer just because it is rather high in alcohol. It tastes good, and it mild enough that it might be easy to drink a few though.

Overall: Thanks go out to ggaughan for generously hooking me up above the agreed trade. This beer was good, and I am happy to have had the chance to try it.

OStrungT, Dec 27, 2006

This beer is a nice orangish red. There is not a lot of head to speak of but there is plenty of yeasty sediment. The smell is sweet and slightly alcohol like, but the beer smells like Cheerwine. The taste is sweet, the cherries are somewhat evident. The honey is detectable a little in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth considering the higher abv which is masked well. The drinkability is good. I could sip on these from time to time.

I have had this beer in the fridge for about a year and I figured tonight would be a good night to reveiw it and it seems as if several others thought the same thing. I will pick up some more of this beer the next time I am in Bristol, Va.

Enola, Dec 26, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter, thanks to akorsak .

A: Just like the label says, a clear, ruby red color with light hints of amber to it. I got little head on my pour, which seemed to just race towards the sides. Reminds me of a red Jolly Rancher.

S: .A sweet, malty and spicy smell. The cherries can also be found, but it is subtle.

T: Yummy stuff right here. Malts, cherries, plums come in a first, ending with a nice finish of light spice. Has a long, slightly dry, finish that stays with you until your next sip. Alcohol comes into play as it starts to warm up, but nothing compared to what I expected from its 11% ABV.

M: A nice medium body that fits this beer great. Goes down smooth.

D: I personally, am not too big of a fan of the spices in any beer (so pretty much, I’ve never been too fond of Belgians), but I enjoyed this treat.The high alcohol percentage does hinder me from wanting to drink more than one of these in a sitting, but it does not stop me from wanting to revisit again. Find a Mad Elf for your self and enjoy!

Luchman, Dec 25, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Merry Christmas to the Mad Elf.

He poured out of the bottle a beautiful ruby red color with a nice to it. Fingers worth of white head really put me in the Christmas spirit...well maybe not, but it looked good. Lacing isn't a factor with this one.

The aroma is a funky Belgian one with some cherries, honey, caramel, and sweet bread.

Flavorful seasonal with tastes of holiday spices, funky yeast, sweet cherries and oh yeah...alcohol. Woo. I think I can breathe fire right about now. This is good, but I think it needs a little aging. Bit rough around the edges although I can see the tasty light at the end. I think I'll sit on some of this for a while.

Body is thinner than expected, yet a bit syrupy. Definately believe a little time in the cellar will help this one out. Right now one bottle is plenty, but with some age this should be even more enjoyable.

Imstillthegman, Dec 23, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours an effervescent caramel/red with a thin filmy head. Minmal lacing & no head retention

S: Sweet, fruitty & hints of cherry& oakyness& a little booze as it warms

T: Dry with berry/cherry notes up front. Some woody/oaky character & a slight medicinal twang comes through. I also catch a little vanilla as it warms. A little warming alcohol is present as it warms. Finishes winey with cherry notes, slight chocolate & dryness

MF: Extremely low carbonation & slick

Drinks really easy for the abv, something a little different, but 2 of these beauties & you're done, This took the chill off a brutal winterstorming evening & certainally got me in the holiday mood! This would work with turkey or fruitcake. Mad props to GnomeKing for this one.

russpowell, Dec 21, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

I wait for the Christmas Season just so that I can get a case of the Elf. It truly does bring joy to my heart.

Anyway, on to the review.

Pours with little head that last a few seconds before disappearing.

Color is a brilliant, deep red.

Smell is traditionallly Belgian with faint hints of cherry.

The mouthfeel is smooth as silk like a great full-bodied wine.

The boys at Troegs have been tweaking the recipe nearly every year since its inception, but it seems as though they have finally hit the consistency that they have been shooting for. The bottom line is, it's a great beer for an equally great season!

albo, Dec 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured this beer into a pint glass, first thing I notice was the glowing ruby red color and white head. Beer had a sweet cherry aroma with just a slight honey nose. First taste really got a lot of cherry not some much sour on first taste but more so as I drank. Slight alcohol warming. Not as much as I would have expected from an 11%. Very drinkable and a nice beer to warm you up with out being too overpowering.

jhicks12, Dec 19, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to Foxman for this one.

Pours a clear dark amber color, nice carbonation, small head, nice lacing afterwards. The nose is of sweet malts, grassy/wheat, dark fruits (Cherries), belgian yeast, and caramel. The taste is sweet/malty, grassy, with a slightly dry finish, ABV hidden very well. Medium body, a complex brew. Very drinkable, does not remind me of an Belgian Strong Dark Ale at all, more like a Strong Pale Ale or WeizenBock.

Wasatch, Dec 17, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -6%

Last year I reviewed this on Christmas Day. Can't wait that long for this year's edition.

12 ounce bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A - The beer pours out as red as a ruby with a compact off white head. The red color really is pretty.

S - Big fruit smell along with the distinct smell of Belgian yeast. Some alcohol character and some dark bready smell.

T - The initial sip is sweet but a tartness comes over this beer. I definitely get the cherries in there as well. Alcohol on the finish.

M - A bit of a lighter body than I expect for the style.

D - Intriguing, a lot of sour characteristics that I didn't expect yet are still welcome

EStreet20, Dec 16, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark reddish brown. A white head of about two fingers. A little bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Smells substantial.... bready, yeasty, but also a bit of sweet honey in there. Says it's brewed with cherries, but I'm not picking up that scent on the nose.

Taste: Cherries show up in the taste, but only slightly for me. SPICE... there is a big holiday spice component to this beer... shows up in the aftertaste. Nutmeg? This beer is really malty sweet. I don't detect much hop character at all... maybe a little bittering, but it's definitely overshadowed by the sweetness. This is almost like liquid candy. And for being 11% ABV I don't detect much alcohol in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light carbonation.

Drinkability: I couldn't do more than one of these in a sitting. It's definitely interesting and leaves you with a lot to ponder, but I just wish it were a little less sweet.

Not my favorite, but definitely worth a try. It definitely tastes like the holidays to me.

briscott99, Dec 15, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Light amber with a thin bubbly off white head, which leaves a nice ring. Bubbly lacing clings to the glass.

S: Deep mix of cherry, honey and alcohol. Toasted malt, a slight hint of hops and saccharin sweetness.

T: Very sugary sweet cherry and honey. Toast and warm alcohol. The cherry right now is too sweet but some age should help. Last year definitely had more of a deep chocolate base, which they coincidentally removed from the labels description.

M: Sweet, sticky and sugary. High carbonation.

D: Some age will help but right now it is too sweet. But a nice sipper overall.

ellisdee97, Dec 14, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

thanks to akorsak for the growler shipped overnight. poured into my st. bernardus oversized goblet.

A: pours a clear red amber color. Head dissipates really fast, but I like the way it settles, with the bigger bubbles.

S: dark fruits and belgian yeast. spices, dark maltiness

T: grapes, alcohol, belgian yeast, very faint apples. dark maltiness present .

M: medium body. Would have expected it to be thicker considering the class of beer and the alcohol content. still seems to compliment the taste really nicely. slightly velvety.

D: pretty sweet beer, but I'm getting pretty buzzed off just the one. If it werent for the drunkenness, I'd have more.

couldn't decide between 4.0 and 4.5 on the taste. I think I changed it about 4 times. I decided it was closer to 4.5.

chadspivey, Dec 13, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Acquired via trade from Silent Sabre, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright copper color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark fruit (cherries & raisins) and caramelized malt, with a faint touch of Belgian yeast.

T: Flavors of dark fruit & Belgian yeast hit you up front and are pretty much the dominant flavors throughout. There’s a subdued malt character and the 11.00% ABV is no where to be found. After-taste is fruity.

M: Extremely smooth, light carbonation, light-to-medium body, clean finish.

D: Very tasty, not filling at all, goes down very easily. I’m not sure how the high ABV gets hidden so well in a beer that’s as light as this one, but it makes this beer dangerously drinkable. This is an excellent beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 08, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle courtesy of adrian910ss: Poured a medium amber color ale with a small foamy head with average retention and lacing. Aroma of light cherry with some subtle spices and sweet malt. Taste is semi-sweet with cherry and sweet malt. Body is a bit light but alcohol is very well hidden. I was probably expecting a bit much from this beer, which is far from being bad but just not as complex as I had hoped.

Phyl21ca, Dec 05, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pours a nice reddish/amber color with about an eighth inch head that dissipates somewhat quickly

S: Has a nice fruity smell

T: Smooth, fruity (cherry) taste combined with a typical ale taste. Dominate alcohol aftertaste with hints of cherry.

M: Crisp, clean and refreshing

D: This is one of my favorite beers. Highly recommended!

wesblount, Dec 05, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours dark amber with a decent head. Looks pretty good.

Beer smells like sour cherries with a bit of alcohol. Not bad... interesting aroma.

The flavor of this beer was a bit surprising. Reading that it was brewed with cherries I was thinking strong fruit notes. But in this one, the fruit definitely takes a back seat to the traditional beer flavors.. This one really reminds me of a strong Belgian ale. But instead of the apple flavors I usually taste from this style, the cherries show up just a bit, but they certainly aren't obvious. Interesting... it is almost like the cherry flavors were made without the addition of the cherries, they are that subtle. Very well made.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, but just a bit above average.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Seeing that it was brewed with cherries, I was bit reluctant. (I am not a big fruit beer fan) But this is a very well made and enjoyable beer.

Thanks for the unique tasting beer Foxman!

flexabull, Dec 04, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

12 oz. Bottle thanks to zrrbrrt. The bottle features an elf who looks like he got a little crunk before Christmas and brought the cherries with him. I poured this one into a Chimay glass and the head dissipated super fast. The color is red and reminds me a little of cheery 7-up (only a little). It smells slightly syrupy and sweet with hints of cherry. I can barely taste the honey but the cherries are there. This definitely feels like a sipper and is probably going to take awhile. A decent beer but i could not drink more than one in a sitting.

ArrogantB, Dec 03, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz bottle from Corridor Wine and Spirits in Laurel MD. I picked up quite a few since Ive read such good things about this winter release.

Pours a beautiful clear reddish copper. Tiny head, little lacing, but staying power.

Smell is pretty perfect. Very surprised this small bottle of beer packs such a power boquet. Sweet, malty, fruit. Maybe raisin, cherry. Tough for my amateur nose to tell.

Yummy. Thin, with not much body. Does this beer need to cellar? Dried fruit maybe. Alcohol finish. The alcohol ending is really nice though. No bite really, solid alcohol flavor.

Solid carbonation. Sits nice. No real staying power, but the boquet does stay which is nice.

I voted pretty high on the drinkinability because I think this beers presentation and overall experience makes it very good to drink for a good period of time.

JasonA, Dec 02, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Great seasonal brew, but a tad on the expensive side. Poured out of the bottle aggressily into a tall glass unleashed a spicy aroma, and gave a nice thick 2 inch head, which quickly disappears. The high alcohol content is not overwhelming while enjoying the brew, but it will sneak up on you after a few. The cherry/honey/spicy flavor is one of a kind. It seemed to taste better after it warmed up a bit. I took a few out of the fridge and drank them at about 50-55 degrees - I would personally call this the ideal temperature for this ale. I will probably grab a few more cases before they are gone.

gixxerman, Dec 01, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leaves some decent lacing but not as much as a real belgian..but other than that, this is a world class beer. Pours an amber/red color with a fast disapating head. Tastes of fruity plums, honey, and cherries. Finishes dry with a rummy note at the end. Is light and crisp and very hard to detect it's strength. Glad I got a case of this one.

bigdeuce, Dec 01, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +17.4%

Beer poured into my tulip glass from a growler purchased today. It poured a nice honey - red color with a 1 inch head. Honestly, the most inviting beer I've ever had. lacing left a nice bubbly coating on the glass as I drank.

Smell began with some bready smells, but as the head disolved, it turned to honey and cherries, with alchohol behind it.

As the beer hits your tongue, the first flavor you taste is a bitey sweetness. this is probably due to the cherries involved in the brew. I also taste a lot of bready notes. The high ABV can't be tasted, as far as I can tell. This is a very great tasting brew.

I can see this beer getting dangerous to those that aren't familiar with it. This beer feels great in the mouth, light enough to make you want more, but it has some weight behind it to make you know you're drinking something.

I really, really dig this ale. if the ABV wasn't so high, this would be a constant (as much as it could be, given it's limited run) for me. I don't know why people have said that this tastes like cough syrup, because I sure can't taste it.

pavandal, Nov 30, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

2006 vintage. Pours copper and clear with a small loose cream head that quickly recedes to a ring. Aroma shows some cherry, some tartness and behind this a deeper light sweetness. The alcohol is present in the aroma as a fairly rich booziness. There is a dry white wine character in the aroma as well. There is a mix of tartness and a light sweetness and cherries up front in the taste, followed by a nice breadiness and finishing with a slightly dry small alcohol bite. Body is fairly light and thin. The alcohol although present is fairly well balanced for its strength and its light body. Not something I'd drink a few of back to back, but I look forward to aging some and seeing how it develops. Nice festive beer, I enjoyed the tartness which mixed well with the slight dryness and alcohol in the finish.

hoppymeal, Nov 30, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Deep amber color with a short bubble head that didn't last or lace. Now that I'm over my cold, I can pick up a whiff of cherry and some alcohol. The taste does have a bit of honey to it (as the label suggests), and that same cherry that was in the smell. The alcohol is pleasantly not overpowering, even at the advertised 11%, leading to a drinkable brew. It adds a touch of bitterness to go with the tart cherry and sweetish honey. Still, the aroma is a big part of this beer, so I'm glad I waited to review it at a time I could savor it.

weasbri, Nov 30, 2006