Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

Is there something different--and I don't mean better--about ME2013? My wife and I eagerly ordered pints last night at our favorite watering hole. We have enjoyed ME annually since about 2002, and eagerly anticipate it's release each year. But this year--at least last night, In Chester, MD--it tasted like a different brew. Very malty, as usual, but a distinct lack of the cinnamon, cardamom, anise, and other wintry spices we thought we were used to. Still drinkable, but we did not go back for seconds!

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Nice amber red color, good color for a holiday ale. Appears well carbonated, but bubbles are moving fairly lazily through the drink, indicating this may be a bit viscous. Nice creamy head as well.
S: Interesting aroma - quite tart, fruity. underlying dark fruit, raisiney, pruney almost. I guess it could be cherry. Almost molasses as well. Not very aromatic, but whats there is very interesting.
T: Wow, very interesting. Very fruity, dark fruit, but not in a traditional way - probably because there is actually fruit in here. I think prunes (maybe even stewed) is the best description - which doesn't make the beer sound too appealing. There is something Belgian about the beer, some esters or funk kicked off. I would guess this is a Trappist yeast used, the flavor is familiar to an American-made dubbel. I like this, it's not delicious or anything like that - but it is very interesting. I don't think I could have more than one of these.
M: Adding to the lack of wanting more is the heavy mouthfeel. The beer definitely tends toward the sweet side. It is bordering on syrupy.
O: A fascinating beer, one for in front of the fireplace. A sipper. Share a bottle with a few friends.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a few bottles of this at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo - been meaning to try this for a while.

Poured into a goblet. Nice bright cherry red and caramel, with a a thin crown of head that yields just a bit of lace. It's a boozier beer, that's for sure.

Nose is cinnamon, spices, a bit of cherry, Belgian yeast, raw honey, sugar, and booze.

There's a mild tartness from the cherries, some mild malt, good mix of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg), honey, a bit of chocolate, and a boozy Barleywine quality to it. The cherries remind me a great deal of a mead that is made just outside of Niagara, in which some sour cherries are added to the mix. The interplay of honey and cherry is quite enjoyable - different enough that I'm appreciating every sip for what it is.

Good heft to the brew, certainly has that "Belgian barleywine" feel to it. Well-carbonated, just a bit syrupy.

Unique Christmas brew experience, that's for sure. I enjoyed it a great deal.. The 11% certainly helped me enter into that blissful sleepy state I love to be in when I stare vacantly at my Christmas tree, savoring the colours, the lights and the decorations.

Tröegs Mad Elf from Tröegs Brewing Company