Tröegs Mad Elf - Tröegs Brewing Company

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Saaz, Hallertau
Yeast: Spicy Yeast
Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Mad Elf Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,191 | Hads: 3,582
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from the bottle a rusty reddish-brown with very little head that quickly dissolved to light lacing on the top & edges. Light carbonation, just a few bubbles rising in the glass. There's a dry maltiness/fruitiness in the aroma. Taste is initially of dry, chocolate covered cherries with malt & a touch of honey on the finish. Mouthfeel is lively & bubbly. I get pretty much NO hint of this clocking in at 11% abv, no alcohol burning or bitterness. This could sneak up & bite you if you're not careful. Overall, a nice winter warmer, well worth the wait, and a nice addition to the holiday tradition. BTW, for those of you complaining about the price, $38.99 @ Total Wine & More in Claymont, DE. Get there anyway you can while they last!!! (744 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

2005 bottle. Although I have tried all 3 years of Mad Elf, I have not done a vertical of them yet but plan on doing in the future. Maybe around Christmas.

The 2005 poured a nice shiny amber color with a medium thickness light brown head that disipated pretty quickly after completing the pour into the Mad Elf glass. And what a lovely glass it is.

You can pick up the spice notes in this beer upon smelling it and even more spice (nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon?) once you get a good taste. The cherry taste is not overly noticeable but still adds a nice touch to this stellar beer.

It is hard to tell that this baby is 11% abv with how suprisingly smooth it is and goes down. That is why I like it so much and go back each year to try some.

Can't wait to get my hands on a 3litre of this for the holidays. (814 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours an amber reddish color and with a vigorous poor only had about a 3/4 inch head. The head dissipated quickly and before I had a chance to take the first sip was completely gone. Beer smells sweet with a lot of cherry flavor coming through. The beer tastes similar to the aroma with a lot of cherry flavor, sweetness from the honey, and almost no hop aroma or taste to speak of (surprising for a Troegs Brew). There wasn't a lot of carbonation and to my surprise almost no alcohol warming for an 11 percent ABV brew. This beer was very drinkable and I haven't been able to have just one yet. I wish Troegs would add a small amount of hops to balance the sweetness of this beer which is something I would never thought I'd say about a Troegs beer. In all however this is a very tasty beer and is perfect for the Holidays (especially Thanksgiving dinner). (862 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a hazy red amber color, minimal head but big crackling bubbles. It says on the front that it is brewed with honey and cherries; both flavors come in immediately along with Belgian sugar and meaty hop shots. Alcohol is felt but not tasted, though as it is known if you have too many of these you will keel over. Suprisingly subdued finish adds to drinkability, I hate cherries and honey, yet actually enjoy this beer, the Brothers have done it again. (455 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

It pours a clear, bubbly deep amber, aspiring almost to ruby. A finger and a half of matte white head dwindles gradually to a frothy toile veil. Pips and flits of lacing meander on the inside of the glass.

The aroma emits a malt and honey sweetness backed by a tart cherry note and a yeasty sourness. It's all mitigated by a haze of blended spice. A distant alcohol hint loiters covertly, reminiscent of vanilla extract.

The first sip tenders a sweet splash of toasted malt and drippy honey, not cloying, but strongly present. A cherry fruit tartness lines the sides of the tongue, while a mild melange of spices lays across the back. The sweetness clings as things proceed, still dueling with the sour and tart character, but joined by a mellow yeasty dough trace near the close. The finish sees sweet and sour slip into a rounded dry spice memory. Noticeably absent is any really overt alcohol reference, short of a comfortable warming body-wide.

Medium bodied, the sweet toothiness and carbonation combine to deliver a fine palatal experience.

Increasingly eagerly awaited each holiday season, it certainly should be this year. All the elements envelop the senses and seem to exist just for your enjoyment. It's a winter warmer that wraps you in sweet holiday cheer. The ABV is felt rather than tasted, but it is very real, and not to be forgotten. Still, I can't imagine a time when the first wouldn't lead to a second. Hell, you can keep your egg nog; mad elves make good beer. (1,498 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

After 2 years or so of trying, finally I got my chance to sample Troegs' infamous Mad Elf. Apparently, in the past they never brewed enough and it sold out at once. This year, they must have learned their lesson though...I actually found Mad Elf sold in north Jersey; which is a first.

At $13 a six pack, the cost is quite high. Thankfully, at my local store, they sold Mad Elf by the bottle too. At $3 a bottle, while still high, it is a bit more affordable to be sampled.

The smell as you pop open the bottle is distinctive Belgian with a pleasant, somewhat spicy scent. With a reddish copper color, it made for a nice pour with a mild head. The taste was smooth. Not to sweet, but with a subtle hint of cherries. Not as sweet as I imagined it to be.

For those of you interested but unable to find Mad Elf, you can also try Ommegang's Three Philosophers, which is in the same lines (thanks to the guys in Red Bank's Spirits for pointing that out in the past). (971 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Thanks to Pentathlete for this one...not the most recent release.
Pours a bright mahogany color with less than 1/2 a finger of bright white head...most disappears quite rapidly and a small amount of lace produced.
Nice aromas filled with cherries, citrus, raisins, sugarcane and a hint of alcohol...a lot going on here.
The taste is where the honey comes into play, sweetening it up a bit...an obvious cherry bomb with a hefty dose of malt and a decent hop bitterness for being less than fresh. A dry finish with some of the alcohol coming through...not overly distracting, but adding a slight medicinal feel that goes away a few seconds after each sip.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied...not syrupy or cloying and the carbonation is where I like to see it.
A sipper for me...no doubt, one to enjoy as the temps dip below freezing tonight. I will look to pick up a fresh bottle to compare, but can't imagine it will change that much in the time that has passed. Another nice offering from Troeg's even if it is not one of my favorites...recommend giving it a try, just maybe not snagging a case without tasting it first. (1,119 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

This bottle was provided in trade from GCBrewingCo. It's been a while since the trade, but I figured this one would be better saved for the first snowfall of the year at the very least. It surely has enough staying power at 11% considering that it's the 2004 release, but this beer is quite questionable to say the least.

Pours to a very dark burgandy brown with absolutely no head. I put some serious distance between the bottle and the tulip glass while pouring, but all I got were a few clear air bubbles. Obviously no lacing, and the carbonation couldn't be seen if it were there. This isn't necessarily surprising with such a high ABV brew, but I usually get at least a head-like film.

The nose is absolutely saturated with a raisin and fig aroma with a bit of ginger and/or allspice and cinamon. The cherries are also evident behind all the figs.

The beer tastes like molasses, honey and cherries, with aforementioned spicing. A bit piney even. Not one of my favorite mixtures of flavor. It seems like they took all of the flavors associated with christmas and went overboard trying to cram as much of that shit as they could into a 12 ounce bottle. The results are quite devastating to the tastebuds, and I'm not one to rate a beer well based on style even though I thought it was utter shite.

The mouthfeel is water and distant. What does this "distant" nonsense mean in terms of mouthfeel? Well, I can't seem to taste much of anything but mild sour cherries until I swallow, and then the burst of flavors hits all at once, confusing the palate. The finish is dry and lingers like a port wine, grape flavor and all.

I feel like I've been duped. This is a wine, not a beer! No offense to GCBrewingCo, if he happens to be reading this (I've already thoroughly enjoyed everything else from that trade), but I am not impressed at all by this beer. In fact, this is the type of thing that put me off from holiday beers last year, but I am going to stay the course for this year. (1,996 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I tried this too cold and I wasn't that impressed, so tonight I am trying it at room temp and it is much better. The big difference is the smell; I get a big whiff of apples, dates, figs, and a bready backbone. It has a clear amber color with a small tan head. The flavor starts with cherries, then a bit of the apples, and then the bready malt. The mouthfeel is medium, not creamy like I was expecting. The alcohol warming sets in after the second sip. It finishes somewhat dry from the high carbonation. This beer is way too drinkable considering the 11% abv. I recently had a Chimay Blue and the Elf is like that turned down a notch or two in body and taste, which isn't a bad thing. (686 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

This one was a real eye opener for me, not at all what I expected. It pours a nice clear brown, slight amber. One finger cream head. Light nose, not nearly what I expected from an 11% brew. The kick was well hidden.

The taste was exceptionally smooth and not overly pince coney or spicey, probably a bit more tame than I would have hoped for. All in all, a very nice beer but one that you can drink far too much of far too quickly, so be careful. (449 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Lucky me, I found Troegs Mad Elf in a store that lets you mix a six pack. I've heard a lot about this beer, and wanted to try it, but didnt know if I'd like it enough to buy an entire 6 pack.

Upon first whiff of this beer, you can definitely tell it is Belgian-style. The saison yeast is front & center.

The beer is a lovely reddish amber color with a good medium sized head. It leaves a small amount of lacing around the glass.

Wow, the taste. You'd be hard pressed to tell that this is an 11% beer. I would have guessed 6-7% if it hadn't said on the bottle. So obviously the strong alcohol is very well disguised. This has a very pleasant, almost mild flavor, considering it is a Belgian strong ale.

The mouthfeel is strong and outstanding as well.

I would happily have 2 more of Troegs Mad Elf (and I'm sure they'd make me even happier). I plan to pick up some more very soon. (894 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

hmm. nothign special about this one in my opinion.
pours out a deep copper/bron color with hints of ruby. a small head develops and sticks around for a decent amount of time and leaves a little lacing behind.
smell was yeasty spiciness with hints of cherries.
taste was sweet, with hints of cherry and some slight spice from the yeast.
mouthfeel was very very weak. for a so called 11% abv belgian strong it was quite watery and did not coat the tongue at all.
all the aromas and flavor were fairly weak but detectable. as it warmed the flavor became a bit more pronounced but barely.
overall not bad but definitely nothing to write home about (649 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%

First real cold night of the year...pulled this out of the closet for a nightcap...one wiff told me that this one might definately put me out. This is last years version, so not fresh...

Appearance is a perfectly transparent caramel (not ruby red as the website says). Thin white head on the pour which disappeared to a small ring around the edge of the glass. Not the usual head of a belgian although I'm not sure if this is really true to the belgian style to begin with.

Aroma is a bit sweet with a little acidic funk to it. Alcoholic notes swirl readily from the glass. A slight cherry aroma comes around if you are really looking for it. A strong aroma, but somewhat non descript.

Again, I think the taste doesn't have much that really stands out, except for the alcohol. Taste is mainly malty with a touch of mildly sweet fruit in the background. I don't really detect any of the honey and cherries in any particular flavor. Although you can pick out the alcohol in this it isn't overwhelming, either in taste or effects of sitting on the stomach.

Mouthfeel is a little thin in my opinion, could be a bit thicker. Drinkability is okay for the high abv. The flavor or aroma doesn't really offer anything which I find particularly intriguing which would make me really desire this in the future. Maybe the flavors don't hold up for very long, I'm not sure. I have one more bottle to sample though. (1,413 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14%

I got this as a single from UJ's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a pilsner glass.

Pours a brilliant amber/red with a 1/2 finger short lived head of, I swear, Pinkish white foam. The head quickly falls to scant islands and a ring, with very scant lacing on the glass.

Aroma is strong cherries, phenolic-y, Belgian-y almost, bubble gum and spices like black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, and cinammon. Smells "festive".

Flavor is scrumptious cherry juice, bubblegum, spices as above. Lightly phenolic, sweet, tart, and light malt late. You can pick up faint alcohol as it warms, but the alcohol is very well hidden.Aftertaste is cherries out the ass, spices, and phenolics.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a soft carbonation. Finish is sweet and tart and rich.

This beer is hard to believe. It's so full of cherry and spice character, the alcohol is very well hidden, and the malt supports it very well. Get a case of this right now! (942 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

2005 release

The deep amber, ruby-highlighted Elf raised only a short, quickly dissipating head of tiny tan bubbles that left no lacing. The smell is of dry cherries, sweet honey, hints of clove, and touches of alcohol. It has a medium mouthfeel with a fairly light body and light carbonation. It has a sweet, dry cherry finish. There are hints of cinnamon as well, coupled with the malts. The alcohol is stealthily cloaked behind the cherries. Extremely well balanced, this is a wonderful beer. It would be easy to enjoy several in a row before noticing how potent they are. (578 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%

First Elf of the Season. I love the ruby red label with the off white and green colors. Of course there is the trademark yellow Troegs cap on top that makes this bottle stand out from the rest.

Pours the a lovely red/amber. This years might even have a little bit more of a dark red hue to it.

Smells of deep rich cherries and plum with lots of malty goodness and a hint of sweetness.

Taste hits with a great malty sweetness with a hint of cherries. Just a touch of spicyness and a tiny hint of hops. As you sip it coats your mouth and throat (perhaps from the honey?) as it slides down with just the right amount of carbonation. Finishes sweet and spicy and a subtle hint of alcohol.

A fantastic beer that lives up to all the hoopla that surrounds it. A great late night sipper to send you off to dreamland. Grab it while you can or you will be regretting it later!

Last year I discovered Mad Elf and I couldn't get enough of it. This year it is wonderful yet again and has inspired me to write my first review here on BA. Hopefully many more to come! (1,068 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

2005 edition: Poured from a growler brought home from the brewery and into a Mad Elf tulip glass.

Pours a reddish copper color with a nice dense 1 1/2" beige head that slowly fizzles to a nice creamy looking surface layer of about 1/8" with some very nice cling on the sides of the glass.

Aroma is mostly of holiday cherries along with some very floral aromas. Not as spiced as the first year's release. Some maltiness comes through as well, and a tiny bit of alcohol on the nose.

Sipping, I notice sweet and a little tartness of the cherries along with a slightly floral flavor I think from the yeast. Hops are not very apparant. A bit of drying hits at the end with a twang of alcohol hitting my tongue on the finish. Not as complex as previous years, but a wonderfully tasting brew. I've waited 12 months for this, and it's heavenly!

Lightly carbonated, full-bodied. A bit of alcohol hits at the finish, but is mild considering the 11% its marked as.

Overall, very drinkable at 11%!!! It's a wonder that people can drink a 6-pack of it, get sick, and pass out by the halftime of the Super Bowl (inside joke)! (1,130 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Love the Elf.

I've been waiting for this beer to come out for months and it has been worth the wait.

This particular serving is from a bottle purchased three days ago on the day '05 ME was released.

The View:

An exciting warm red and amber marble. Very "Belgian-looking" if that makes sense to anyone but me.

The Scent:

Lots of estery components to be had. Olfactoraly reminiscent of a mead. The cherries read like a Luden's wild cherry cough drop.

The Flavor and the Tactile Experience:

Nice and smooth. This brew is rich in flavour but light on the tongue. The taste of prickly honey dances through the mouth as the liquid passes. An effervescent burning sensation is there and gone so quickly that it never really existed. Or did it? The fruit flavours add to the complexity of the Elf but are so wonderfully muted that this beer could never be mislabeled as "fruit beer".

The alcohol is well hidden. The main tastes are of dry honey and fruity Belgian esters.

Guzzlability:

Actually it is hard not to suck these down in rapid succession because they taste so damn good. Add to that a hidden 11% ABV in a super-smooth liquid bullet train and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

Final Notes:

I highly recommend this beer. I feel that it is very approachable and quite tasty. If you happen not to like it, um, good, more for me! (1,376 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Ahhh...Autumn and winter brews--some of my favorites, and Mad Elf is no exception. While this is not the best example of a Belgian Strong or a holiday ale, it is remarkably smooth, packs a festive punch (11% ABV), and is available for a limited time only. So...

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle decorated with our friend the mad elf. Color is a nice amber-red with gentle carbonation evident. A decent head at first--nice and white, but faded quickly. That said, the Mad Elf does lace better than some other high ABV ales.

Spicy aroma. Alcohol is definitely present, as is a malty sweetness--and yes, you can detect some fruitiness, although it is sortof difficult to pin the aroma as "cherry" regardless of what the bottle says. The cherries do come through a little more in the taste, however, as does a well-balanced malt bill (mostly light, but just enough roasted or chocolate...to be interesting enough. Some spiciness-pepper due to the alcohol. All in all, however, very drinkable.

A bit thin in mouthfeel, but this is easily overlooked. Due to the decently masked ABV, accessable flavor profile, and of course, the picture of the mad elf himself, this is a nice beer to be enjoyed with friends around the holidays--or as an introductory beer for someone who may not ordinarily give beer a fair shake. Happy glugging! (1,330 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

presentation: 12 oz. bottle with an overly holiday red label. tan oval in the center of the label with a "troegs" banner across the middle. "the mad elf" on the top of the oval with "holiday ale, ale brewed with honey & cherries" on the bottom. there's this crazy lookin' elf spillin' a goblet of troegs' holiday ale over the bannner in the center. cherries are all over the rest of the label. "hand crafted by two brothers". 11%abv displayed, but no freshness date.

appearance: pours a beautiful clear scarlet red with bright kool-aid red highlights in a tulip glass. head was a half inch off white, but dropped to a ring around the glass fairly quickly. lotsa bubbles. color is beautiful.

smell: aroma is sweet with malted grains and a hint of fruit. you can detect cherries, but only if you read the label. alcohol aromas as well.

taste: mild in the flavor department. malty sweet with a wash of cherry. grainy with some spiciness and a touch of ambrosia. hop character is mild at best with almost no bitterness. only real bitterness is from yeast in the finish. alcohol is evident and warming but not overwhelming. finishes sweet with alcohol spiciness.

mouthfeel: very little carbonation. light-medium body that rolls around and swallows well. a little disappointing, though.

drinkability: very drinkable. there's not much to stop you here. alcohol is there but well masked at first. mouthfeel makes this is drinkable as the kool-aid it looks like. after a while the alcohol kicks in and is intoxicating and warming, so be careful.

overall: hmmm...this is just an average belgian strong dark. mildly flavorful with cherry and alcohol flavors taking center stage. dangerously drinkable, but the mouthfeel is lacking. if you want an easy to drink, intoxicating, belgian with just a hint of belgian spices and phenols and splashes of cherry, then oddly, this is your brew. otherwise, just average. (1,918 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this brew.

Appearance: Pours a deep cloudy brick red with a sudsy white head. The head quickly fades to veins of soapy film on top of the beer.

Smell: Enjoyable blend of honey, pineapple, pear, flowery citrus notes, and a touch of tart fruits. Smells more like a sweet wine than beer.

Taste: Like a tripel. Honey, figs, some clove, some of that Belgian yeast funk, and maybe a hint of under ripe bananas. Very fruity with just a touch of an estery finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, carbonated, and a warming finish that is left on the palate.

Drinkability: The alcohol is hidden well. Kind of sneaks up on you in the finish. The yeasty funk is something that keeps me from over doing it with these styles but it's blended well with the fruit presence. Really enjoyable. I don't know if it seems like a "holiday" beer to me but it's worth trying. (907 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -52.8%

So, having finished those tasty draughts at the pub I went out the next day to pick up a case of the Mad Elf at the local distributor. That nicked me for almost 50 bucks-you pay for the ABV in there, to say the least.

To my dismay, the Mad Elf is a shadow of its tap greatness when coming from a bottle...at least that's my take.

The bottle itself looks cool-brown glass with a little elf that apparently has a nice buzz going himself. For me, the bottle is the best part of this beer.

The smell is much more concentrated and pungent from the bottle. Note that I drank out of the bottle, not a glass. This may affect what I experienced. Gone were the pleasantly sweet and cherry-like scents. Think more along the lines of cherry robotussin.

The taste was much worse from the bottle than the tap. The beer was far thicker, and the alcohol pervaded the taste throughout drinking, whereas when I had this ontap you only got a slight sensation of the ABV in the aftertaste. This stuff for me was just way too thick and sweet out of the bottle.

Mouthfeel wasn't great either-very heavy and not much carbonation. I am not a big heavy beer drinker, so anything that is thick is not my cup of tea. This stuff's pretty thick, but maybe that's your thing.

Drinkability-Getting one of these down takes a while. There was no possibility of chugging or gulping this stuff-slow sipper only baby, unless youhave powers far greater than mine.

I want to like this beer due to its high ABV and local relevance (went to school near where it's made) but I just can't get the stuff down from the bottle. On tap though, ooo yeah that's the stuff. (1,646 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -55.4%

This beer poured a beautiful dark ruby red color with a nice, creamy head. The taste was a smorgasbord of cherries, vanilla and honey --- an extremely sweet beer, but unfortunately it reminded me too much of cough syrup. I would like to try this on tap to see if there is much of a difference. Great appearance, but the taste was too overwhelming. (347 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

This is the '03 version of the Elf that's been aging.
Appears a hazy reddish amber with a small white head that lasts for a minute and fades into a small collar.
Smell is of honey, cherries, rich candy sugar, along with a hint of cocoa powder with that trademark Troegs yeast.
Taste is of a viscous, syrup mix of the above mentioned aromas.
Mouthfeel is thich and viscous with some mellow corn syrupy sweetness that's raw but smooth.
Drinkability - This is a sipper by all means. It reminds me of cherry lip balm in a weird way. A little hard to swallow, even after aging for over 1.5 years. Delicious but still a one and done for me. (639 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -26.9%

Served on tap per this year's XMas in July at Max's in Baltimore. Poured into a large tulip cup, it was a pale rose colored brew with absolutely no carbonation going on in the brew, no real head. There may have been a slight ring around the edge when it was first served. No lacing.
Smell of cherries soaked in honey
Sorry, but couldn't help but think this was light cherry cough syrup. It even had the same sticky mouthfeel going down. Slight tanin like hop finish. Not fond of this one on tap after it had been sitting a few months. Plus, I'm not overly sure if this is a Belgian strong... (593 characters)

Tröegs Mad Elf from Tröegs Brewing Company