Triple Mango IPA - Tröegs Brewing Company

Triple Mango IPA
No picture uploaded.

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Scratch #58 is collaboration between Tröegs brewers along with Troy Gadbury and Brad Moyer, winners of a homebrew contest sponsored by Al’s of Hampden. This Triple Mango IPA is bold, brazen and over-the-top. Unfiltered and highly-carbonated (for killer hop burps), Scratch 58 measures in at 125 IBU’s and 10.8% ABV. With a spicy mango nose and an intense overripe grapefruit flavor, we recommend this beer as the grand finale to your day as it overwhelms even the most-hoppy beers.

(Beer added by: akorsak on 02-25-2012)

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle, Summer 2013 release
Riedel tulip

A: Cloudy and hazy as hell. Really deep orange color. Really looks like a mango puree. Basically no head. Initially there was some white but that quickly faded into nothing. Tough to get carb at 11%

S: Big fruit. Tons of mango. No real hop stuff. Light malt. Smells like mango puree.

T: Up front, some earthy but mostly mango and citrus. It's not as "hoppy" as I was hoping but certainly fruity. The alcohol does come up at you as you let it warm. The finish leaves you with a little burn down the throat.

M: Medium bodied.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Creamy unfiltered light orange. Light white-orange head. Looks good.

Citrus, citrus, tropical, floral, and citrus! Grapefruit pith, orange rind, mango, floral notes, and light pine. Nice!

Tropical notes with mango, tangerine, floral notes, and white grapefruit. Malts are sweet, but very pale. Light caramel hints.

Smooth, but the ABV will meet you closer than halfway. Carb is nice. A little sudden.

Great DIPA. Recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%

I actually got this beer by accident at the Troegs brewery. I thought I was buying the triple Golden Ale and discovered I had been poured this instead.
Upon smelling the beer I discovered the mistake. Intense citrusy hops greeted my palate. I definitely get the mango/tropical fruit in the aroma.
It pours an opaque dark orange color with nice lacing.
The taste is big hop flavor with a little citrus and tropical mango which ends with some alcohol bite to remind you how strong this brew is. Definitely not a session beer. It's probably a beer I would order one pint of and be done with for the night.
Pretty decent brew, if you're looking for a flavorful Triple IPA then I suggest trying this one. It's not for the faint of heart though. It's a big one.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to robieobie1 for this awesome extra, sounds delicious. It plumps out of the bottle looking thick, cloudy, almost-syrupy even, mango-colored (go figure) and pretty much as opaque as it gets. It looks much more like full-on mango juice than actual beer. The soapy white head is barely noticed as it fades within seconds. I actually kind of dig the look, but by "beer" standards, it could use a little work.

Grassy mangoes come to mind as I lean in for a whiff. Juicy-ass mangoes with a light brushing of grassy hops. Very sweet, very thick, and very juicy with even a touch of tartness in the back end. So not only does it look like mango juice, it smells like it, too. Pungent mangoes and grassy hops - that'll do! Some light alcohol becomes noticeable with warmth - not surprising, given the ABV.

Wow, what a huge mouth feel! Heavy, thick, and sticky as they come - chalk up another check mark in the "mango juice" column! At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if this is beer, or just alcoholic mango juice! The mango flavors are so fresh and pure; sweet, succulent mangoes crowd each and every sip, accompanied by a warming alcoholic presence. Don't let the relatively light color of the beer fool you - it's huge.

Big-time sweet mangoes, almost to a certain degree of tartness, finish things out and leave your mouth feeling like you just chugged a gallon of mango juice. Aside from some light grass here, or faint bready malt there, this beer is nothing but mango, mango, mango - all day, in your face. It's a big goddamn beer, and I challenge anybody who thinks fruity beers are weak to try and chug this shit. It's cumbersome when gulped, but damn good to sip in small doses.

Thanks again to robieobie1 for this one. It didn't quite turn out like I expected, though it was a pretty good evening sipper either way. Like an adults only version of Minute Maid's mango juice; have a glass of this before supper and you'll off to bed in no time. A sweet and savory motherfucker, no doubt, but not in your typical "big-sweet-beer" kind of way.

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Missed out on a case given how quickly it sold out, but thanks to a friend I got my hand on the bottle...

A - Just the slightest of fizzy off-white bone colored head that dissipates very quickly... The limited retention gives way to an ultra thin slightly scattered veil of lacing with a thin collar... The color is that of a deep rich ripened peach... A distinctive and unexpected haziness lingers throughout... Only a limited bit of light leaks in around the edges of the glass... 100% still with no discernible carbonation... Looks thick and chewy... The appearance has an overall "homebrew" quality about it...

S - A sweet fruity mix of mango, tangerine and peach is first the greet the senses... There is a slight layer of rather pedestrian hoppiness... Perhaps even an unexpected crisp wheat component... Overall, this aroma is much sweeter and much less hoppy than I would have expected...

T - Boom - The hops that were oddly missing on the nose are blistering the tongue from first sip... They are an overly assertive mix of pine and earthiness... The sweet fruity goodness alluded to by the nose takes a distant backseat - there is just the slightest presence at the start... There is a bit of an alcohol induced burn on the finish...

M - Full bodied... Thick, chewy and even teetering on sludgy... An unexpected carbonated bite... The finish is equal parts dry and chalky... Definitely a bit rough around the edges...

D - To be honest, I had rather high expectations for this one but it served to be a bit of a let down... I'm quite happy I tried, but I'm not sure this is something I would indulge in on a regular basis... An over the top hop bomb with no balance that lacks in terms of overall depth and complexity...

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

ST- growler poured into a tulip

A- poured a cloudy deep orange with a lot of haze, no light got through this one!

S- Can definitely smell the mango, I said it smelt tropical. Can definitely smell how sweet this is going to taste.

T- Wow, sweetness is full force as it hits, equal to the force of fruitiness. After the rest of my senses come to, i can taste the alcohol backbone to this brew.

M- This beer leaves a thick heavy feeling. My mouth feels sticky.

O- I had heard about this brew for awhile and I had to grab it when I visited Hershey. I am real glad I did. It definitely has its ups and downs but I enjoyed every sip I took. I didn't like the sticky feeling I got between sips. But really enjoyed the flavor smell and complexity(even if I couldn't figure out all of its depth!) if this were bottled I would enjoy buying it here and there. If you can, grab it.

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Very opaque, cloudy apricot/peach looking brew. Very cloudy, bit of white head. Does look like Heady Topper a bit. Good sign!

S - Bitter bitter hop aroma. A bit of mango fruitiness, but not much. A bit piney and earthy presence.

T - Intense bitter hop bite up front. A bit spicy but it blends well with the bitterness. The mango flavor is on the backend of this, which adds a pleasant layer of sweetness. This thing is a true "palate wrecker". Surprisingly this ends on the bready side, somehow.

M - Medium to full bodies with a mid level of carbonation. There's heat in here from the booze no doubt. My teeth feel caked in lupulins. I mean this is intense.

O - Probably the most bitter beer I've ever had. One of for sure. If they kicked the IBU's down a little you could probably taste the mango more. In its current state it probably doesn't matter how much mango is here. An experience for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%