Yunkin' Punkin' - Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant

Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 10-18-2010)

Sean_King, Thursday at 05:41 PM
3.56/5  rDev +0.6%

Valentno7, Nov 06, 2014

micropale, Nov 05, 2014

Adams2U, Oct 28, 2014

mnoel219, Oct 24, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance was a brownish slightly orange color with a huge, huge (overly carbonated) off white head. Full lacing.

Smell was totally not what I was expecting. I got pumpkin smells but I also got this overwhelming yeasty and clove smell. Some slight cinnamon and spice.

Flavor follows the nose to a T. The pumpkin flavor is mixed with a heavy dose of clove and yeasty spicy notes. I get some cinnamon and brown sugar sweetness, but the spice is just overwhelming. Finish is clove and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is sticky and pretty full and the carbonation was over the top.

Overall this is a total miss of a pumpkin beer for me. The yeasty clove spice does not mix with the pumpkin flavors at all, I just don't get it. The King of the hill for pumpkin beers is still ST Pumking and this beer is not even on the radar of that.

PS: I bought an entire six pack and every beer has been overcarbonated, just noting such.

Kadonny, Oct 22, 2014

horsediggs101, Sep 15, 2014

awesomea, Sep 07, 2014
3.32/5  rDev -6.2%

Shawn_Money, Sep 05, 2014

Manayunk Brewing Company, "Yunkin' Punkin' Ale"
12 oz. can, no apparent freshness dating.

It smells like a pumpkin pie, meaning that I get the pumpkin pie spices and a little touch of background sweetness, but it's not too much. The first sip then totally tastes of pumpkin pie: the pumpkin pie spices are in balance, and there's just a bit of sweetness to it. That sweetness lingers gently for a short moment, and then fades while the spices stick around for a little bit longer, just dulled in their appearance. In a pleasant twist, even after a full serving the spices don't really build on the palate - very nice! And if you like pumpkin spice, it's almost compelling in a way, giving you just enough to make you want more, which, I think, is something that I've never said about a pumpkin beer before!

I mainly appreciate the balance that it has. The spices and pumpkin flavor are not overdone, as is often the case, nor is the malt. It's easy to make a bombastic beer that's sweet and spicy (and usually has too much cinnamon), but that's not the case here. Instead it's remarkably drinkable, or at least as drinkable as any spiced beer can be.

Normally when I review a pumpkin or spiced holiday ale I note how I think it might pair with a meal (for example, this would be great with a baked ham, it's true!), but what I thought of when I drank this was that I'd enjoy one of these just hanging out with the guys; in fact, I'd pretty much drink one of these at any time of the year. Why not?

The new rating system has thrown me off a bit here, but I definitely feel it's better than a 3.75

NeroFiddled, Aug 22, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -57.6%

Belittle, Apr 29, 2014

jagada, Jan 16, 2014
3.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Another can courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a brownish/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pumpkin, a bit of spice. Taste is kind of mild, some pumpkin, light spices, a bit of malts, kind of subdued for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

tone77, Dec 25, 2013

Rojada1988, Dec 13, 2013

NonicPanic, Dec 05, 2013

BMart, Dec 02, 2013

CuriousMonk, Nov 18, 2013

Profchaos20, Nov 01, 2013
4.49/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Take one mobile CANning line, one regional brewer, one CANquester (TM) and one trip to The Foodery (Northern Liberties) and what do you get? A happy Woodman!

From the CAN: "Brewed with real pumpkin, this seasonal favorite is the one true indication that fall has arrived. The aroma of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and clove jump out of the glass creating an experience much like eating a slice of pumpkin pie on a brisk autumn afternoon."; "Brewed with Pumpkin & Spices".

After being let down by Pumpy Drunkle or whatever his name was, I am losing faith in pumpkin ales. A loud Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in just over two fingers of dense, orangish head may restore me. Color was a deep coppery-orange (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was definitely spicy, as indicated on the CAN, but I could not really discern one from the other. Certainly, nutmeg and clove were up front, but the malt seemed to be fighting it out with the cinnamon. Don't even ask me about allspice. The mouthfeel was very creamy and the taste was very much like pumpkin pie! I was impressed with this one from the first sip. The spices were not as riotous on the tongue as they had been on the nose, and now, cinnamon was king. Letting it just roll around on my tongue to warm, the clove and nutmeg began to assert themselves, indicating that there may be a threshold at which it should be drank, not too cold. Finish was dry as a result of all of the spices, but not so dry that I needed my asthma inhaler.

Break out the spice rack, boys, we're going to the orchard in search of the next great pumpkin (ale)!

woodychandler, Oct 25, 2013