Brewerytown Brown - Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant

pDev: 0%
Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: VoiceOfTheSoul on 06-07-2011)
Reviews by NoLeafClover44:
4.4/5  rDev 0%

32 oz. growler poured into standard pint glass. Filled at WF Glen Mills almost a week ago.

A - Pours a dark chestnut brown with about a finger of quickly dissipating tan head. Ribbons of lacing paint the glass.

S - Very nice aromas of toasted oak, marshmallow, almond, and a hint of pine. Sweet, roasty, delicious. Packed full of aroma.

T - Starts a bit sweet with cocoa and caramel malts. A nice full nuttiness comes full force in the middle followed by some drying bitter pine. The finish is loaded with coffee and more nuts. A wonderfully balanced brown ale with all the right components and a nice hop presence.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. I am usually disappointed with the mouthfeel after a few days in the growler, but this one held up perfectly.

O - I picked this one from what looked like a weak tap list this past weekend. It was a cheap fill, so I pulled the trigger. Saying I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. The aroma and flavors are complex and strong for a low ABV beer. I have often described beers, especially brown ales, as "nutty" but this one takes it to a higher level. The pine hops offer an interesting dynamic as well. I wasn't planning to review this beer, but after my first sip I felt like I had to. This is probably my new favorite brown ale and among the best under 6% beers I have had. Unfortunately I probably won't come across it very often, if ever again.

NoLeafClover44, Dec 12, 2012
4.4/5  rDev 0%

I had this on cask at Johnny Brenda's It's a Firkin Riot this past Saturday. They said 10oz pour, but it seemed more like 12oz.

I have never been more happy to have a brown ale. It poured a nice cloudy brown with a fluffy light tan head. The head shrunk but left a frothy top to the beer almost always. It had a pretty "brown" smell, though it never fell flat; it was roasty with a bit of sweetness like caramel. It tasted wonderful. The roast was prominent, but it was never overpowering. There was a nice chocolate and caramel taste all through out, with some really surprising and not unwelcomed pine, almost citrus hop bitterness in the middle and in the finish. It was smooth and creamy, and it had me ordering one glass after another all night long. This is by far my favorite brown ale now, and I'll even go so far as to say it's one of my favorite beers at the moment.

VoiceOfTheSoul, Jun 07, 2011
Brewerytown Brown from Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.