Thomas Hooker Munich-Style Lager - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 09-27-2003

A true Helles style, our lager is golden in color with a pleasant, malty aroma balanced by a rich, smooth flavor. Using only the finest Bavarian malts and finished with Saaz hops, one sip will make you feel like you're in one of Germany's finest beer gardens.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thomas Hooker Munich-Style Lager Alström Bros
4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A: small head which removes itself from my sight quickly. straw colored with a slight orange hue

S: very floral, bready, maybe some pale malts in there, and a touch of bright fruit

T: crist and clean, with some grassy/lemony notes

M: smooth with a little kick from the carbonation on the finish

O: I can drink a lot of this, too many. I have never had any other beers of this style but this particular one reminds me of a american light lager with flavor.... way more flavor and complexity especially given its clear and light appearance

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Crisp, lively and superbly balanced. An unexpectedly delicious session brew, since this isn't one of my favorite styles. I'm a huge hophead and tend to prefer bigger beers like barleywines, so why am I drooling over a light summer lager? I guess the moral here is that even an unexciting style, if brewed properly, can be outstanding.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%

I am not typically a fan of lager beers. I tend to prefer ales and heavier beers, but I find myself drawn to this particular lager. First of all, it is very drinkable. No aftertaste. Not very heavy, but not too light either. Color is a dark, deep gold hue. Does not seem to hold much carbonation or form much head - would be nicer if it did - so I dinged it a bit for appearance. I can't explain the smell, but I like it. Taste is a bit bland, but very pleasant. In all, this is for me, a very solid lager and one I would choose over many other lagers. I think Thomas Hooker is an underrated brewery.

4.21/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on draft at sushi restaurant in West Hartford. A very satisfying, cleanly made golden lager. Carbonation level was great, held a nice head throughout most of it, and was a great pairing with the sushi. Could have been served colder, but that's not the beer's fault. Overall, among the better new england golden lagers on the market.

4.71/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer is my new favorite. I got this beer at a beer tasting at the Thomas Hooker Brewery in Bloomfield Ct. The beer was really fresh with a nice golden appearance. This beer tastes great and is perfect for summer days. I'd recommend this beer to anyone who likes really light colored beers.

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

Won't bother with all the fancy beer snob adjectives. Simply put, Hooker Munich-Style Lager, on tap at a bar in Blueback Square, West Hartford, is the best tasting beer I have ever experienced. I have had it out of the bottle as well and while it was still very good, I was a little dissapointed by it compared to the on tap ones I had.

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is simply DELICIOUS. Reviewing straight from the bottle, as I prefer lagers in bottles.

A - Served in a brown bottle, so perception of appearance was minimal. Noticed a slight cloudiness, but not sure if it was the bottle or the beer. Rated a 4 for being "interesting".

S - Nice clean lager smell. Just a slight hint of earthiness. Smells a tad heavier than your typical macro lager.

T - Where the beer really shines. What I loved about this beer is that it didn't really taste different or unique, it simply tasted better. Nice clean smooth watery lager taste with hardly enough earthiness for you to notice, but it's definitely there.

M - Excellent smooth clean mouthfeel. I am using the word "clean" a lot because that is what comes to my mind, after drinking many complex and exotic craft brews lately. This beer wont do anything funny to your tongue, it just goes down easy and tastes great.

O - This was a pleasant surprise for me. I normally prefer craft ales for their complexity, but I found this beer to be simple and reassuring. It doesn't taste funky, it just tastes good. Super easy to drink, would certainly bring a twelve-er to a party (to share of course). To some up my opinion, cheap lagers typically leave something to be desired. This beer, as simple as it is, is wholly satisfying on its own.

Would love to drink this one again ice cold at a hot summer barbecue. Or tomorrow night.

Thomas Hooker Munich-Style Lager from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company