Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2004

Hopped with German and Czech hops and fermented with Bavarian lager yeast, this traditional doppelbock blends an extensive amount of select dark malts to achieve its rich and creamy character. Rich and filling, this brew is a malt lovers dream.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark brown with a small head that disappears quickly.
Smells mostly of roasted caramel malt...some alcohol...nice.
Pretty sweet, heavy roast malt flavor... not too sweet. Chocolate...caramel...maybe a hint of licorice....slight hoppy bitter throughout...all nicely balanced with alcohol.
Mouthfeel almost syrupy..low carbonation.
Pretty drinkable....this is a dessert in a pint glass.
Very good.

4.76/5  rDev +12.8%

Thomas Hooker Liberator
1 liter swing top brown bottle
Bottled in 2005
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a deep, dark brown color with ruby highlights on the bottom of the glass. Fluffy tan head that leaves awesome patterns of webbed lace.

Whiffs of chopped nuts, milk chocolate and German hops.

Rich, thick roasted malt presence. Hints of sweet chocolate flavors and cashews drizzled in caramel. The mouthfeel is robust and perfectly balanced. Very malty and chewy with some dark fruit flavors. Extremely smooth, creamy and pleasing to the palate.

The drinkability level is off the charts. An excellent beer that helps welcome Spring on this unseasonably warm day in early March. Highly recommended.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

sitting at my favortie brewery(kuhnhenns) with other people who rate beer, wohlfs, scroff, styles, llgrgg, flemdawg and eyedrinkale. thanks go to wohlfs for this one. poured a nice mahogany, with a off whir head. aroma malts, caramel, cherries, chocolate, dark fruits. flavor malts, chocolate, cherries, and other dark fruits, a little on the watery side but a good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2005 Bottle.

An extremely tasty brew, no doubt, but tasted alongside the Celebrator, the latter is my pick as king (or queen) of the Dopplebocks.

Pours a dark brown with a faint hint of light shining through. Lots of fruitiness in the nose - especially sweet fruits like cherries and red grapes. Taste hits hard with malt character. Little bit of hop bitterness, mostly up front, which dissipates into a strong malt aftertaste. Modest sweetness.

Mouthfeel is great. A highly drinkable brew, but one that did not leave me yearning for more like the celebrator. A great brew nevertheless, and one that I would like to have again in the future.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

2005 bottling, large(liter?) swingtop bottle obtained via trade with Brewfan. Many Thanks! Pours a deep, dark, opaque chestnut body with a perfect head. After several pours of this enormous bottle, the head held an amazing consistency of two inch tall, creamy beige hued, tightly knit foam that wouldn't budge unless I slipped my lips upon it. Sheets of lace were eventually draped down the sides of the imperial pint glass.

Aroma was a bit roasty for style, but featured waves of malty toffee, brown sugar, caramel, and a hint of molasses. Fresh plums and black cherries add a fascinating fruitiness. A hint of floral hops add a rosewater note to the exceptional nose.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied. Moderate carbonation is spot on for the style.

Taste is complex, and utterly sinful. Vienna and Munich malts are put to excellent use on the palate here, as a variey of chocolates mingle with smooth toffee, and a bitter dark roastiness. McIntosh red apples and fresh plums creep into the profile, as well, and add to the bitter cherry and occasional nutty walnut notes. Floral hops add some bittersweet character that pushes the flavor profile far beyond anything I've encountered in a doppelbock. The finish is bitter and roasty. Closer to a porter than a dopplebock as it closes.

Toastier and roastier than its German cousins, but more complex and ultimately a more exciting example. Clean and fresh, all the way through, this is an excellent lager to drink on a winter day. I would suggest sharing this one with a friend, or three. Very highly recommended!

Barrel aged version. Buffalo Trace bourbon cask.

Dark, dark brown, topped with a frothy mound of cream colored head. Very similar in aroma to regular Liberator, of course, but with a very subtle, elegant touch of vanilla, wood and bourbon. Plenty of roastiness, noticable hops, and rich pruney fruit. The flavor opens with that blast of refined roastiness I love in this beer, extra, extra creamy and smooth with the touch of vanilla and cream the barrel aging provides. I mean, I don't know how this beer can get any smoother or more luscious on the palate. Full bodied, creamy feeling like it were a nitro pour, but with all the flavor. Plenty of prune fruitiness, with a bit of an exotic fig flavor. Excellent with the light bourbon quality. Headstrong hops in the finish, very floral with a not-so-subtle hint of pine. Plenty of roastiness, although no charry burnt flavors. For all the woody quality, the actual bourbon is very tame. I like that, as it doesn't threaten to override the beer. Just a hint of booze in the finish. Everything you like in Liberator, with an extra bit of fine detail. Stunning.
My one complaint is that this beer goes down WAY too easy, and you'll find yourself drinking more than you probably should. Hey, that's what a designated driver's for, right?

3.37/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle: Poured a clear dark brown color beer with a huge brown foamy head with perfect retention. Aroma of roasted malt with some butterscotch. The roasted caramel malt with subtle hints of banana also dominates taste. Body is above average but could have been fuller and carbonation was at the right level for the style. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall, this is a very good beer but would have appreciated a bit more complexity (more chocolate, more banana).

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Split a 2005 bottle with fellow BA SkinnyElvis that I picked up thanks to fellow BA Shappuding.

Midnight brown still hue pour topped with a settled khaki head that jung i for the ride and left slight drippy lace.

Malty bread & cake aroma with some slight brown sugar notes.

First swigs: Deep toffee meets toasted malt. Spice wafer and hints of cocoa with a copper penny aftertaste.

Feel is dense and thick. Full bodied while being soft and effervescent. Hidden 8.0% ABV that was undetectable.

Last swigs: A tasty dopple...oh yeah! 144/4.33

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a dark brown almost black liquid that leaves a thick head that sticks with the brew. The smell of this beer is sweet, brown sugar, herbal hoppiness, as well as a fruity essence within the nose. As you sip this brew the 8% alcohal is very hidden, there is a toffee sweetness to this brew on the forefront of the palate followed by a slight coffee nutty taste almost similar to a porter very nice. The overall brew is fantastic and the smoothness of this bock just makes you want to drink it all day but watch out cause it sneeks up on you.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Really dark reddish brown, with a greying head that was compact, but tapered off into an island in the center of my glass.

Smell: Very dark, roasted malt aroma, that exuded cooked plums and blackberries, but also a little plastic or rubber notes. I didn't ask how old this was...

Taste: Plenty of chocolate and coffee, plenty of malt and a pronounced, bitter aftertaste. I enjoyed it, but something tells me this bottle wasn't at it's best.

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I got this one at NE Bev Co on a trip to Orange, CT, 7.99. It was bottled in 2004 according to the label over the cap. It poured very dark amber with light tan fluffy head with good retention. The smell had caramel, coffee, figs, and some roasted nuts. The taste is great, malty sweet caramel, then some fruit, like apples or figs, and then a slight bitterness like dark chocolate. It has a creamy medium/heavy mouth feel that leaves some of the bitterness behind.

Liter bottle courtesy of Venom at this summer's Ommegang fest... finally decided to break this puppy out with a meal of roquefort-stuffed pork chops. First off, this beer was a gusher -- when I popped the grolsch-style bottle top I had foam everywhere, and had I known how good the beer I was losing precious ounces of was, I would have wept openly.
Poured into a tulip glass, this beer was a gorgeous raw umber color (remember those crazy Crayola colors?) with a thick and creamy tan head. Smells so vinous, along with some real plummy dark fruit, and even a hint of anise -- very much like a Belgian double. I could smell it all night. The taste is so complex, it takes a while to sort things out -- tannic grape skins, tobacco, cocoa nibs, chocolate covered dark fruits, plums, and then a little nuttiness, like almonds or hazlenuts. The finish is oh-so-dry and exceptionally smooth, the alcohol is... well... what alcohol? Drinkability is sky-high -- You could do it up in the tulip glass and savor each and every flavor, or you could be just as happy pouring the whole damn thing into a liter mug and guzzling it down with some bratwurst.
I have been Liberated. Thank you Loren.

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%

This pours a dark reddish color with a huge creamy tan head.The smells not as strong as I would have hoped,but you can detect a roasted malt and roasted chocolate scent.The taste is very strong on all levels.You can taste roasted malt,chocolate,fruit,and even some nuttyness.In the aftertaste, you can taste and feel the alcohol warmth.It's almost like brandy.The m/f is heavy and well balanced.This is a very tasty beer,but I don't think I could have to many of these.It is extremely rich and bold and almost like a meal.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

1L bottles in 2005 flip top. Slight fizz on flipping the cap. God bless the dopplebock brewers. Big rich malty caramel nose and alcohol with a nice thick beige brown head. Nice initial tastes of caramel, sweet malt and a long dry bitter aftertaste. The taste was good but not great. The sweetness and roasted malt were not working well together. As it warmed, the alcohol becomes more pronounced and further mucks thing up. This is big and boozy with some interesting roasted malt and bitter chocolate but I hate to say that it did not wow me. Thanks to AKSmokedporter for this,

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%

WOW! And I don’t mean that in a good way. I am completely baffled by the nearly unanimous love of this beer. I have sampled it on two different occasions from the 1-liter bottle, at varying temperatures. Not only does this beer not satisfy my occasional craving for a Doppelbock, but I find it an average beer, at best, in every regard. I don’t know where to start, by I’ll try.

Appearance: Well, it’s arguably too dark for a Doppelbock, but it’s not unappealing in appearance. I think the previous reviews have addressed this category in detail.

Aroma: Malt, roastiness, a bit of fruit, and cream. Fairly pleasant.

Taste: I’m sorry, this beer just doesn’t do it for me. The roastiness is far too pronounced and detracts from the underlying sweet malt and cherry flavors. The hop balancing comes across as astringent and drying, and is hard to distinguish from the roast flavor. I would describe this beer as part Schwartzbier, part Porter, and part Brown Ale. It doesn’t deliver a lot of anything for my money. Totally lackluster. It doesn’t come across as a big beer, the alcohol is nearly imperceptible, and the flavors are all subdued. I have tried to set aside my expectations for a Doppelbock and just assess this beer on its own merits. That doesn’t help. It’s just an average beer.

Mouthfeel: Very thin – no sense that one is drinking a big beer. Perhaps a smidgen too much carbonation for the style.

Drinkability: One pour of this is sufficient. After that, I lose interest, and I don't have much to begin with.

So, now the quandary. Do I cellar my two remaining 1-liter bottles for a year or so, and give it another whirl, or do I put this beer on the trading block??

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep, dark, reddish-brown with tan 1 inch head and spotty lacing.

Scent is of carmel bready malts, toasted nut, molasses and chocolate.

Taste is huge roasted malts, nutty-chocolate, dark fruits, floral hops and finishes dry, dark chocolate with just a hint of citrus in the mix. It all stays for a long time after each sip.

Mouthfeel is very silky smooth, medium to full bodied with the perfect amount of carbination. This is perfection.

Drinkability is well above average. The 8% abv is not noticeable and the mouthfeel is so nice that this beer goes down easy, almost too easy.

I love the swing-top bottle. I wish more breweries would use this packaging. It makes it easy to seal it, and come back later without losing anything.

I highly recomend this one. Many thanks to HopGoblin for the trade.

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

So my buddy FirstMan had to move out to Worcester last spring, as his wife (darlinclementine) got a badass job at a badass museum that deals in badass weapons (this is the Higgins Armory, and she was responsible for the badass beerfest held there, the Higgins Festival of Ale). And he's been a little sad about it, mostly because he now cannot get all of his favorite beers on a regular basis (other than what I send or give to him). He was out for a few days, just last month, and brought me this Liberator from Thomas Hooker, in a bottle that looks like he stole it off of a telephone pole back in 1932. I've been putting off drinking it, trying to be disciplined, but tonight I just couldn't wait any longer.

Appearance: Wow. This truly looks like a brown sugar reduction. You can almost see the undissolved grains of sugar floating around in there. Just this gorgeously deep, unfilitered brown that borders on opaque. Ok, it actually is opaque, unless you happen to have a dive light that you can shine through it. Then it's just murky.

Smell: Even cold, you can smell the malts. Just this incredible sweetness attacks the nose. I'm roasting a chicken at the moment, so it's sort of overwhelming the aroma (but smells damn good), but the malty sweetness is still very evident. There is also just a hint of graininess.

Taste: Jesus eatin' beans, I think I'm in love. Cold, this is a very different beast than warm, as you can really taste the roasted malts in the finish. I don't know if they are using blown malt or what, but it's so roasty it almost tastes like a proper porter. You are met at the door with a sweet, sugary introduction, and then the roasted dryness takes over. However, as it warms, those sweet malts release themselves, and really overwhelm the roasted character. That is not a bad thing in the slightest. This is a goddam beautiful beer. I wish I had the words to do it justice. Zero lingering yeast flavor, just this teasing sweetness hugging the tongue, with a subtle roasted chaperone. Magnificent.

Mouthfeel: I'm just going to leave it at this: My mouth is a much lesser place when the Liberator has left the building.

Drinkability: Liberator, my ass. This is a conqueror. If you don't want to drink this bottle in one sitting, you need to go back to beer school. This is a spectacular beer, and one I need more of. Now. Immediately.

This is an 8% beer, so I could have cellared this bad boy and let it stew for some time. I'm glad I didn't. But dammit, I sure wish I had another bottle so I could lock it in the cellar and not let it out to play until it promises never to use any more wire coathangers.

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

Ok, I'm revisiting this beer. I had it on tap before, and I think I like the bottled version better. Or, maybe it's just that I have more of an opportunity to relax and drink this huge bottle than to judge it from a really cold pint with dinner one night. Either way, it seems like there's a lot more complexity to this brew than I originally thought. I definitely recommend getting the big bottle of this (reasonably priced at nine bucks for a huge thing) and taking it all in over a slow evening. Excellent head retention here, on top of a nice dark brown color, nearly opaque. Smell is a bit tough to pick out actually, which is surprising, since this brew is so full of flavor. But what I do pick out is actually a seemingly hoppy scent, which also strikes me as a bit odd, knowing that this beer is primarily a malty extravaganza. Definitely a roastiness as well though, with a pungent bitterness. Taste is all over the board. That milky flavor that I find to be ever present in dopplebocks is there, but first comes an array of dark, fruity, roasted malts and a burnt bitterness that balances it all out. The hopping of this beer, subtle as it is, is pretty perfect in my book - reminiscent of a Belgian pale ale, nice and spicy, and dusty. This definitely plays a big part in balancing the beer in my opinion, though one might overlook it at first. With out that nice subtle hop character, this beer would be just like your typical American over-done beer. But it's better than that. Much better. Excellent balance, to reiterate, yet still aggressive and unique. Surprisingly bouncy mouthfeel for this one also really separates it from other beers that just try to bombard you with darkness. A super thick mouthfeel, as much as we sometimes love them, would not work with this beer. Definitely a great American beer. Gotta get some more sometime, because it seems to get better the more I drink it. Evolve...

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Amazing brew... Totally blew me away. Poured out to a dark cherry brown color with a great 1/8 inch fine foamed head. Medium high carbonation. Wonderful lacing around the glass. Great so far. Aromas of chocolate, malt, wood and spice are all well balanced and present. Taste is excellent; flavors of smooth dark chocolate, roasted nuts, and some dark fruity flavors toward the finish, all the while remaining very, very smooth. Mouthfeel is full and rich, with the carbonation bringing the tastebuds to attention and giving them something to notice. High drinkability, even with the 8% ABV, I'm not gonna have any trouble taking care of this one litre bottle on my own! Special thanks to my Boston Counterpart rousee for this fantastic sample.Get your hands on this brew however you can, sell your first born for this beer if you have to. It's worth it. Highly Recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Thomas Hooker Liberator pours a beautiful deep mahogany with glowing orange highlights at the base of the glass, and a creamy yellowed-paper head atop. The retention is good, and it holds fairly well considering its strength, but eventually drops to a thin collar. The lacing is somewhat limited, but that's common for the style. The nose offers a combination of fruit; caramelish and delicately nutty malts; and a hint of alcohol. In the mouth it's crisp, medium-bodied, and fine-bubbled. The flavor is very much as the aroma suggests, with caramelish malt that suggests some chocolate and a hint of roastiness along with a mild fruitiness (that combines dark and very red fruits) and a judicious amount of alcohol. The bitterness is balancing, and and it finishes dry with a light wash of drying alcohol and some lingering toasty and very subtly smoky/roasty malt.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thomas Hooker is coming to a festival that my wife is organizing, so I felt obligated to go the other day and buy one of each of their beers to try. It's always good to have an excuse to try beer, you know. This review is for the bottled version, but man am I looking forward to having this on tap.

Comes in a big-ass, heavy flip-top bottle that you could kill someone with. Of course, after drinking this you'll be in such a good mood that you'd never want to do such a thing.

Pours a deep dark burgundy-brown with a full, fluffy head that stays around for nigh on a coon's age.

While you are waiting for the head to go down, stick your nose in the glass (make sure you've got a broad mouth glass for this one) and suck in the raisins, cloves, and woody cherry notes. Lots going on here. As it warms up you really get a noseful of the alcohol-laced ripe fruit. Great smell.

As with a lot of doppelbocks, give this one a bit of time to warm up and you won't be disappointed. There go the cherry and wood notes up front. The alcohol is prominent in this one, but balanced very well with the malty fruit tones. Lots of hops bring up the rear - possibly just a little much when this is colder, but as it warms up the dry bitterness in the finish is much less pronounced.

A big chewy mouthfeel, with more dryness than I was expecting.

I could drink a lot of this if I didn't need to walk. It really sneaks up on you with the abv, which sort of affects the drinkability factor.

Overall just a great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Shared my growler of Liberator with murrayswine, who got the surprise of his life when he opened the bottle and the beer exploded all over him and his counter. It was...very carbonated. Thus: big, BIG head, half the pint glass. The other half was a thick, syrupy dark brown color. Toxic beer sludge goodness that smelled and tasted very complex. There was sweet chocolate and caramel, toasted malts, some nuttiness, butter and toffee. Lots of toffee in the finish, along with a huge helping of bitterness. The more I drank, the more it tasted like chocolate. Overall, I would say that Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock is an excellent liquid version of a Snickers bar. Nice, thick mouthfeel too. Warm and loving, Liberator keeps giving and giving until you realize it's 8 PM and your girlfriend is, somewhere, very angry with you.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Split a growler with a fellow Milwaukee BA, Battlekow.

When we opened it, this thing erupted with a caramel colored foam, wanted to towel it up and wring it into my glass, it smelled so good.

On pouring I was greeted with a solid 3 inch head that took a good 30 seconds to sink back to around an inch of head.

The body is like coffee with a hint of cream, just a meer hint only, with a burnt sienna halo around the outside.

The smell is strong with coffee, chocolate, and unsweetened butter.

The taste delivers with buttery chocolate, english toffee, cashews, and a creamy finish, it almost gets even better as it warms up.

The mouthfeel is slightly bitter, with a light tang. Mild carbonation rounds it out.

Over all, this beer is fuckin amazing!

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

08/23/05- Received two bottle in trade from Connecticutpoet, Stienlifter and Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 2005 bottled edition as stated on the label covering the swingtop. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Nice black colored pour, solid dirty brown 1/2 inch head and fair lacing.

Smell- Tons of dark chocolate in the nose with a nice whiff of dark roasted malt as well. Slight molasses smell too.

Taste- At first rather nomal for a run of the mill doppel, but then a huge chocolate coats your mouth in the swallow. Tons of dark burnt malt throughout. Not the mollasses/malty sweetness to put it over the top though.

Mouthfeel- A bit overcarbonated for a doppelbock. Semi-thick mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Definitely one of the better doppelbocks, but I still prefer Celebrator and even Weltenburger Asam-Bock. Still would buy this one if I could find it though. Very good brew indeed. Thanks for the bottles guys!

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Brought back from Boston by a friend in a 1L swingtop bottle. Poured a very dark brown with reddish edges and a tan head. Aroma was slightly sweet with traces of roasted malts. A overlying sweetness carried through from start to finish with flavours of caramel, chocolate, roasted grains and a slight fruitiness.

I don't get a chance to drink many doppelbocks and this one was definitely a treat.

Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company