Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Liberator DoppelbockThomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

Hopped with German and Czech hops and fermented with Bavarian lager yeast, this traditional doppelbock blends an extensive amount of select dark malts to achieve its rich and creamy character. Rich and filling, this brew is a malt lovers dream.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Big 1 liter bottle with a ceramic swing top was an imposing sight. The top came out with a nice popping sound effect, and the beer was poured into the goblet. The color was dark reddish black with an inner glow that exuded charm. The head was small and fleeting, and the lace was minimal. The aroma was sweet and roasty malt that gave off delicate fig, and chocolate notes. The hops had that distinctly Germanic grassy tone to them. The taste was sweet and malty, like a dopplebock should be. There were raisin, fig, apple, and toffee flavors to be enjoyed here. There was also an earthy herbal spiciness to the hops. Creamy and dry at the same time, the mouthfeel was enticing and the drinkability was enormous. This was a very beautiful part of a package that came to me from mikeys01.

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured a nice pitch black with a frothfilled, creamy, dirty tan colored head. Aromas of plums, raisins, and dark chocolate with just a hint of alcohol. Taste was somewhat odd with roasted flavors and unsweetened chocolate bitterness that seemed out of place for the style. Fruity nose did not live up to its billing in the flavor department, but I picked up some chocolate flavors along with raisin notes. Only slight hop aromas, but the hops were plentiful and drying on the tounge. Mouthfeel was moderate and dissapointing for a dopplebock. Picked up some vinagery aromas towards the end of the liter. I did put down a liter in one sitting, but it did not leave me wanting another. A good "Americanized" version of a dopplebock, but it still has a long way to go before it joins the ranks of World Class.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Big bottle, big beer. Definitely in the thick, black, opaque lineage of doppelbocks. No mistaking this for a half-assed barely brown brew. Grainy aromatics -- highlights of some chocolate, some freshly opened can of SunMaid raisins, some grassy Perle-ish hops.

Decent body and surprisingly balanced -- just lacking a bit of depth. Sweet, coccoa powder and blackberry preserves move to a dry, astringent finish -- granular-feeling, cocoa powder through the finish as well. Fuller bodied than some: more similar to Celebrator than others in that regard. You can feel that this beer sucks light into it. In some ways, it defines "dark beer." Unquestionably good; but a tad one dimensional. But hey, I kept needing to refill my glass.

Raisin, mocha, cocoa and vanilla aromas emerge from this dark brown, soda bubble-topped liquid.
The texture is admirably creamy and fat with loads of simple, cake-like, milky, tootsie roll candy flavors. The acidity and bitterness are very subdued but are not necessary to structure the unobtrusive alcohol force underlying the experience. A medium-long, roasty finish features a backlash of bitter walnut. Huge palate presence but lacking permanence.

I was surprised by this encounter. I expected more confidence and more complexity. Instead it adhered to a fairly straightforward, monolithic flavor profile. Less winy than the best examples of this style. Could become tiring to drink. Not any better than dozens of widely available 2xbocks such as Celebrator, Einbecker, Tucher and Moretti, to name just a few.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I rinsed out two not quite half-liter Doppelbock mugs, similar to the Salvator glasses. I short poured the glasses and handed one to my girlfriend. I grabbed my notebook and began.

Dark brown in hue, if not black, I am impressed with the richness of the color, even when held to a light I couldn’t see thought it. The head color was russet and it was a solid finger in height. After a moment it slipped to a half-finger and this remained for the entire consumption. Lacing was spotty, it didn’t cling all that well. Regardless this is a great-looking doppelbock. I am bit surprised at the lack of conversation from the nose, in other words the potency is only modest. I was expecting a chatty lager but I got nothing out of the ordinary. Its spiel was clean and to the point, there was a good amount of maltiness from start to finish, kisses of alcohol with some dark fruity notes that kind of reminded me of a fruitcake. Sadly, the nose came off airy. Thus far I couldn’t distinguish this from any other decent doppelbock. The bouquet is inviting but not much better than ordinary. The palate is very good; it is everything I’d expect out of the style but nothing more. Okay, maybe I got slightly more. This is malty, maltier than many classics. There is excellent depth, plenty juicy as well. I got some modest fruity flavors, dark but not ale-like. I like the warmth from the alcohol too. Astringency peaked through from the roast. Grassy but firm hops. The finish was chocolate-covered cherries with a snifter of brandy. When it comes right down to it, the palate is tasty. This is every thing I could ask out of a doppelbock, taste-wise, but not much more. Medium-full in body, modest carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant and hearty. Ideally drinkable, clean like a lager should be, I’d love the opportunity to sample this again. I can’t thank UnionMade enough for this big ass bottle of this kick ass beer! Thanks!

I set down my notebook and went to refill the glasses. The once dark brown lager poured out creamy in color with a ton of sediment. I’m not just talking yeast here; it looked sandy with black flecks. Odd. I tasted it, not good, not offensive but nothing I wanted to drink. So down the drain it went. What a sad way to end a lovely beer. Damn.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a really dark garnet with a nicely capped eggshell colored head. Plenty of retention and lacing to go around. Smells slightly chocolatey with a hint of fruit in the back. Massive tasting dopplebock. Full of those huge fruity flavors with a real rough edge to it. Perhaps a walnut like tang that grabs your tounge and shakes it. Nice malty burn that cleanses and refreshes. Huge beer. Mouthfeel borders on epic. Alcohol becomes apparent quite quickly. It's kind of hard to tire of this. My first Hooker beer and definitely not my last.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours black with a creamy light brown head. The aroma is bready, malty, a bit roasty with a bit of grain. The flavor is bready, malty, slightly nutty and chocolatey, there is a note of some dark fruits in here as well. There is a bit of roastiness and alcohol in the finish. It has a dry, bitter finish, but the mouthfeel is somewhat creamy. Gotta thank stubob for sharing this one he got on a trade. One of the better Doppel bocks I have had.

Sampled 4/30/04

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Deep chestnut colored with red tints where light shimmers through. A light brown foamy head sits atop, having risen up to a thick half inch cap of bubbles of varying sizes. The bubbles slowly pop, one by one, and the head recedes back, but leaves a thin film that rises up at the edges of the glass. Aroma is not strong, but gives off caramel, toffee, and brown sugar, and some sweet berry. Mouthfeel is thick and comfortable, and draws you back for more. Flavor is subtle, with hints of chocolate and framboise, light brown sugar and molasses. There is a faint hint of the alcohol that glides beneath, and stings the back of the throat. Some yeasties in the finish. Sheets of biege lace cling to the insides of the glass. Another tremendous selection from Paul Davis.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep, nearly opaque black, chestnut brown with dark ruby edges and a nice off-white/tan head that lasts and leaves nice lacing on my small chalice. The aromas of this brew are very enticing. I can smell cloves, other spices, dark roasted malts, sweet caramel malts, milk chocolate, burnt toast, and bavarian soft pretzels. Slight booze is also evident in the aroma of this brew. The taste of this brew is really quite exceptional. I taste some nice sweet malts and roasted malts up front with some wonderful clove-like spices in the middle and a sweet-yet-almost-dry milk chocolate taste in the finish. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. In fact the mouthfeel is very reminiscent of milk chocolate. The drinkability is very good for an 8%abv brew! The 1 liter bottle was killed in record time!

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Oh yes, this is excellent. I was quite happy to come home from a long day of work and running around to hear my boyfriend immediately pour me a glass of Liberator say "here, drink up!" He's great. So is the beer. It's a dark brown colour with a fluffy off-white head that lasts a few minutes and then there's a little ring around the glass. Smells ok, not the best actually, but caramely, malty, little bit of chocolate and coffee, and kind of like a soft pretzel actually. It tastes much better than it smells, I think. Like carmel and coffee and a bit of spice, kind of toasted, very malty though, with a touch of hops in the finish, and an alcoholic aftertaste, but not too much. Maybe like a burnt soft pretzel? Mouthfeel is lovely, very silky smooth, and drinkability is excellent. I could've polished a whole liter of this if it were available to me. Glad to get about half of it though, most definitely!

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a deep, chocolate brown with ruby hilights and a small, tan head.

Rich, dark fruits on the nose. Too many here for me to identify. Black cherry, plum, and others, perhaps mixed with a mild chocolate?

First hit on the palate is smooth, ever so slightly fruity. Bitterness is there and gone as smooth, roasted malts move in to stroke the palate. Black cherry and plum play in behind the malts and the finish is mild, with very little aftertaste. You are left with just a memory of something smooth and creamy, willing you to take another taste.

Mouthfeel is just perfect. The carbonation is perfectly balanced and the body is smooth and creamy while avoiding being thick or syrupy.

Immensely quaffable. The lack of any harshness combined with the perfect mouthfeel makes this oh-so-easy to just keep drinking.

My first dopplebock, and I've gone ahead and spoiled myself. It certainly seems worthy of its reputation.

Wyll-

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in the 1L swingtop bottle into a Celebrator glass. The color was black, with a bubbly beige head. The smell was chocolatey, with a slight raisin/plum character and slight alcohol. The taste was strong chocolate sweetness, with a slight raisiny malt character, and just a bit of warming alcohol. Mouthfeel was nice and chewy. As for drinkability, I felt like I could have several of these.

Thank you to counselor and BIF 7.0 for this bottle. I was quite excited when the package came and I pulled this bottle out. I have to admit, though, that when we opened the bottle, it was slightly disappointing due to all the hype. After getting over that, we realized that this is indeed a great beer. I thought that this beer had more of a porter quality to it than a dopplebock, but I like porter so that's not too bad. After having both the Liberator and Imperial Porter (and having the Old Marley in the fridge), I'm very impressed with Troutbrook, and I hope to have many of their offerings (including this one) in the future!

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

2004 vintage. 1 litre, swing-top, brown bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance – Very dark brown/black with tints of mahogany around the edges. Large, tight, tan head that leaves thick lace on the side of the glass.

Smell – Initial sweetness followed by a balance of roasted malts and floral hops.

Taste – Starts with bitter-sweet chocolate, towards the back of the mouth the hops make a subtle and pleasant appearance, finishing with the taste of coffee.

Mouthfeel – Creamy, but not heavy, the carbonation is extremely smooth.

Drinkability – A serving of less than one litre will not be enough to satisfy. This lager is smooth and complex.

My thanks go out to ErikTheRed for the very kind offering.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks goes out to beergeek279 and cupbeerman for letting me join in on the sampling of this highly rated d-bock. We enjoyed it at one of the newest beer hotspots in the Burgh, the Pittsburgh Bottleshop Cafe where we sampled this brew in official Celebrator glasses, man are those things cool. Anyway on to this beer. Appearance: Deep dark ruby chocolate hue tan head forms nice and thick leaves some scattered lacing throughout the tasting session. Aroma: I was hit with some underlying vinous wine like character along with robust healthy dosages of chocolate roastiness, and a touch of underlying over ripened fruit notes. Seems bigger than the average doppelbock much more complex the hops send herbal tones across my nasal passage, not bad. Taste: Alot more chocolate flavor than your typical doppelbock seems porterish in many ways, but regardless tasty and so damn drinkable. A touch of raisin and alcohol sear the palate with mild overly ripened plums complex and good, but seems this one caught alot of hype. Don't get me wrong I love it but what sets this one so far apart from St Victorious or Korbinian, in my opinion not much. Mouthfeel: Medium body big lager here very delicate carbonation makes going down that much smoother. Drinkability: All in all a damn fine d-bock that I enjoyed, but I think I let my expectations ruin the experience for me just a bit. Incredibly smooth and flavorful robust version of the style very good I must seek out more brews from Troutbrook Brewing, well done.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

pours dark barely opaque brown from a swing top liter bottle. thick brown head.
the smell is dominated by roasted coffee and chocolate aromas. grainy and a bit bready. hints of floral hops are noticable. a strange smoky rich aroma is there as well, something like a faint wiff of cigar. a rich dark fruit aroma, predominantly prune and red grape is there as well.
the taste goes something like this... sweet complex maltiness is the first thing you notice, coffee, chocolate, caramel. a bit of a vinous fruity character begins mid tongue and becomes more predominant as the beer warms. more hop presence than expected, it shows up with an herbal character and pretty stiff bitterness. smoky notes towards the back of the tongue, with a graininess that sort of cleans things up before the bitter hops and burnt nutty coffee aftertaste.
rich full mouthfeel with delicate carbonation makes this silky smooth and a pleasure to drink. achieves a sort of creamy dryness.
i'm pretty impressed. this isn't just good, it achieves things i haven't experienced in a beer before, the creamy dryness, with the mellow somewhat understated but complex taste, really unique and really good.

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

Delicious. If you didn't hear me, delicious. What more can I say. Dark brown almost opaque with a very nice creamy head. Aroma - malty and roasty. Sweet malty taste, munich malt comes through, very creamy mouthfeel, 8% alcohol, I dont see it or taste it. This is a very dangerous beer. it goes down so nice that if you drink it too much of it, you will feel it. I don't know if there is a perfect 5 beer but this one is close.

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Wow, I finally got my hands on the beer with the latest buzz. First the appearance.. well, holy cow that is a impressive looking bottle. 1 full liter. Dang... nice flip cap on top, with the lil bit of tape noting bottling year. Nice touch. Poured into a glass (with a bit of glugging due to bottle design).. Pours nice and dark black, almost imperial stout dark. A head that starts nice and thick and then leaves itself stuck on the sides of the glass. Smells of Roasted malts, perhaps a bit too much of roasted malts as it is hard to pick up any sweetness in the aroma. Tastes of roasted malt, and some hit of alcohol in there. It's there, but it's not overpowering. Very very smooth for a beer of this magnitude... Nice rich and creamy mouthfeel.... all around, a great brew!

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

The traditional Doppelbock flavor is a work of art. Decoction mashing is tricky and time consuming, those that attempt this method are few and far in between. This Doppel follows in the footsteps of this traditional German method and achieves greatness. For those who want to learn the difference between sweet malt flavors achieved through decoction vs crystal malts without decoction, here you go...

It is a opaque, deep brown color with a billowy tan head. Sweet malty aromas pour out of the glass with some noble hop floral and spicy notes. As with decoction mashing, the malt flavors are clean and malted-milk like. Grainy, woody, and very slightly smokey in a finish which is nice and long. The full, chewy body is balanced nicely with spicy and mellow hop flavors and bitterness.It has a nice rustic Black Forrest quality to it, highly recomended.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

An American doppelbock that eschews the toffee-ish restraint of its German progenitors, in favor of a much more robust, roastier, state of complexity. At certain points, this took on properties of a porter; other times it alternated between fruity and chocolatey; and still other times it was an unmistakable, caramelish doppel. Complex to say the least! It poured dark impenetrable brown with a pretty small head that lingered until the very end. The aroma was surprisingly mild, with faint twinges of nuts, caramel, and a slight hint of coffee. The flavor strongly carried over the nutty flavors, balanced with a noticeable herbal hop spiciness. Coffee bitterness became noticeable, balanced by some chocolate, with a heaping dollop of brown sugar and maple syrup. Eventually the fruity flavors revealed themselves as well: dried apricot, peach, sour apple, maybe some cherry. The aftertaste was enormous, and where the beer did most of its flourishing; many of the mentioned complexities were revealed only after the swallow. The rich hop spiciness tempered and balanced the beer, and kept any fruity or caramel sweetnesses firmly in their place. The mouthfeel was full and supple, and deliciously creamy, and for a beer of its darkness and fullness, it drank remarkably easily. I did find, however, that by the end of a pint, I was ready to either stop, or try a different beer. The 1 liter bottle is perfect for splitting, or the swingtop could be re-closed and saved for tomorrow.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Thomas Hooker Liberator Dopplebock was served from a one liter flip-top bottle with a "bottled in 2004" lid seal. In a pint glass, the beer was dark dark brown color and was topped by a thin and fine tan head. The nose was quite subtle, but yielded some very nice aromas...chewy creamy coffee malts, countering figgy sharpness, and dark fruit esters. The taste was anything but subtle. A big creamy coffee-raisen malt profile hit, then quickly opened up with tingling dark figgy-choco-sharp bitterness...laced with dried fruits such as apricot, cherry, and peaches. Nutty flavors then appeared in the transition to a drier cocoa-bitter nutty dark fruity finish. The distinct stages of flavors and sensations captivated me. This beer had just the right mix of malts, fruits, and bitterness. The body was well-composed for the flavors and character of the beer, as was the high-powered carbonation. The balance and excellent flavor of this dopplebock made for easy drinking. Liberator Dopplebock is not to be missed. Big thanks to Thrasher for sharing this treat.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottled 2004. Pellucid deep garnet hue. Lofty, dense, pitted, dogged beige head. Steadfast lace remains. Waft of underripe plum combined with dulcet, rounded dark toffee initially in aroma. Bittersweet cocoa and herbal hops hints follow. Hints of bubblegum and minty ethanol with a deep inhale. In flavor, incipient is a fleeting impression melanoidin derived caramel glazed almond. Nutty sweetness diminishes readily, and is ensued by notes of singed, chocolate dusted sugar cookie. Mid palate, dark fruit character surfaces in a sherry macerated ripe plum suggestion. Spicy, stately, leafy noble hop flavor augments as the beer warms, lending herbal and slightly grassy contrasts. Hop bitterness is agreeably understated and serves only to partially offset the ample, but well conducted residual unfermentables. Similar as in the aroma, a subdued ethanol presence is mint like and couples well with the subtle Hallertauer hop flavor. Moderately dextrinous in mouthfeel, with an airy softness conducive to effortless sipping. Finishes sweet yet brisk, with polished toasty Munich malt and turbinado hints carried by an intangible lager derived pastel. A delectable doppelbock with multifacted sweetness without any cloying qualities. Immaculately crafted. Sincere thanks to Mikeys01 for the delivery.

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big-Ass 1-litre bottle with a stern-looking Bock (goat) on the label....
Poured a completely opaque deep, dark chestnut hue, topped by a creamy, yet short, tan head with a very fine bead. (A subsequent, second pour into my imperial pint glass produced a voluminous layering of tight bubbles!). Lacing was nice, but not exemplary. Aroma was easily detectable from a fair distance, with a malty, caramel sweetness and roasty darkness permeating the air. Oh yeah!! Body is better than medium, yet not quite in the full range, though it still possesses a good chewiness. Silky-smooth on the tongue, this one is!! Flavor commences with a smidge of malty sweetness, laying the the foundation upon which is built a healthy, solid base of roastiness. There's some coffee and chocolate notes there, along with suggestions of dark fruit in the manner of an Imperial Stout. Coming around the bend towards the home stretch, a dollop of floral hops coats the tongue and throat, and with good staying power to boot. All the while, the 8% abv starts to make itself known in the belly (and brain). A litre serving of this should be savored slowly (though I have been known to quaff a Maß of Andechs Doppel much too quickly at times!!). This Bier reminds me of Celebrator, though I feel there's better sweetness and less bitterness here than in Celebrator. On the same note, there's less sweetness and a touch more bitterness than Salvator or Sammy. This is very well-crafted Bier, and I enjoyed it very much! Vielen Dank to our main-man in CT, VENOM, for sending this to me! I owe ya for this one!!

Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.55
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 5

First, I love the 1 Liter bottle. If I ever brewed my own beer, this is the bottle I'd use.

It pours a beautiful black tar color, very thick in appearance. It poured with an inch and a half of thick, tan head.

The aroma was wonderful. There is so much going on there that it's hard to put into words. Yeast, malt, fruit, chocolate, coffee, tobbacco.

The first sip was all it took and I knew. Again, it's so rich and lovely that it's hard to describe. Malty, chocolate and raisiny fruitiness. Some hints of lighter (even citrus) fruits and a nice fresh tobacco. It reminded me of some fresh cigars I bought from a local tobacco roller in the Dominican Republic...just rich, complex yet balanced. Not overpowering in any one aspect. Very rich and tasty.

I drank the liter with no problem. The alcohol is present but not really at the front of my mind when drinking it. You could have told me it was 5% ABV and I would not have blinked. It's amazing how rich and strong it is, but I felt like I could have drank another liter.

Makes me want to cuss it's so good. The best doppelbock I ever expect to have. It went straight to number one on my chart.

I only hope it becomes a regular for Troutbrook. It easily could be their flagship brew.

Bravo!

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance is terminaly opaque, fully black, much more impressive than your everyday doppelbock, with a large, lush head, with resilient, creamy froth, very appealing, setting standards high from this auspicious image.
Aroma is fresh, full of yeast, malt, doughy, even, cookie-dough, can we say? Bread, ginger, and other spices, but still light, airy, creamy, very eggnoggy, and very, very nice.
Taste is complex and delicious, a wonderful blend, with an excellent presence in the mouth, a masterful marriage of beery parts, perfectly blended, nothing lacks or wants, nothing weighs heavy, either.
Chocolate and dark fruit dominate the palate, with palpable malt on the mouthfeel, a sturdy, even tenacious presence occurs on the tongue and parts of the senses. Starts to feel a touch like brandy, even port wine, with nutty, cocoa flavors never far behind, getting even a bit candyish, with a hint of licorice.
I've had several dopelbocks in my day,each a bit of it's own, some good, some great, and I even had the Andescher before this sample, and you know what? I have to say, TH knocks the socks off the competition, anyway, anywhere, anyhow! It's just got so much more, and then some! Best doppelbock I've ever had, when all is told, just a great sum of it's parts!

Huge cheers to sulldaddy for the bottle, almost too much for me to handle on my lonesome!

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

I have had this bottle for a few months now and decided to crack it. I am serving it slightly chilled in a pint glass.

The brew pours a rich cola brown color and a tan fluffy head foams up easilyand exhibits great staying power. The aroma is a little hoppier than I expected with some grassy and floral notes mixed with light chocolate hints, faint smokiness develops as it warms.

First sip, NICE! THe brew exhibits a smooth creamy texture with a gentle rolling carbonation. Flavor is malty up front with chocolate and roasted malt flavors popping up and rolling smoothly to a coffee flavored crisp refreshing finish. No hint of the 8.0 ABV anywhere.

I will buy more of these and recommend you try it if you can!

Thomas Hooker Liberator Doppelbock from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company