Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.
Ratings: 204 | Reviews: 78
Reviews by scootny:
3.97/5  rDev +28.9%

Cloudy blonde with a sizable head and bits of lace here and there. A fairly active carbonation that keeps a good covering on top. A nice aroma of crystal malt and watermelon sweetness. It really does have a great summery aroma. Taste is surprisingly good with a crisp almost pilsner like cleaness in the overall malt character with a bit of ale like fruitiness that develops as the watermelon blossoms. Finish is clean and dry with a biscuity malt lingering as well as the lovely watermelon that is perfectly balanced. Feel is crisp and quenching with a perfect summer weight. A superb summer beer, from lawn mower to serious BBQ session ale this one is a great fit.

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: clear, pink straw , 1 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: watermelon jolly rancher, a bit of wheat

Taste: toned down watermelon jolly rancher

Mouthfeel: drinks like a watermelon would eat--big sweet start that mellow down as you approach the white rind portion, can feel the carbonation, medium-light bodied

Drinkability: Not sure if I am a fan of watermelon ales, but this one certainly hits the mark. It is good for the watermelon fruit style. A bit sweet for me, I think I could have one maybe two max.

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear apricot colored with streams of fine bubbles rising up to a bright white head of foam that quickly sizzles away.

Sweet aroma of some bready malt and yeastiness and a heavy dose of Jolly Rancher.

Very faint flavor, watery, notes of watermelon rind and grass, some floral highlights. Not too complex.

Thin and watery mouthfeel, but tingly in the finish.

Low drinkability for me, I suppose there are some people who would love this, and it probably serves a purpose and a market, but not for me.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Thomas Hooker- Watermelon Ale

A- Light copper brown with a small but solid head. Ringed lacing along the top of the pint glass.
S- Light sweet watermelon with carmelized grain malt.
T- Light sweet grainy malt with hints of watermelon and grassy hops.
M- Sweet and malty. Sugary with an earthy grassy hop finish.

Overall- Definitely crisp and refreshing in a hot packed bar. Nice maltiness, for a watermelon ale it had some backbone.

3.51/5  rDev +14%

Was eager to try this since I've been to the brewery in the fall.

Pours nice enough, with ample carbonation. Very strong smell of watermelon. Reminds me of a Jolly Rancher candy.

The taste is kinda bland. Honestly the Hooker Blond Ale is superior to this. Not bad, but you don't taste watermelon and the flavor of hops is muted somewhat.

It is a decent beer to drink in the summer, but not worth the extra effort to find.

3.74/5  rDev +21.4%

Not sure how a beer can be compared to a ridiculously electric-colored soda, but this is definitely worth stocking for a barbeque with friends. Not overpowering, and not sickeningly sweet like the name may imply. It's perfect for ribs or anything off the grill, really. Hooker has noted the past two years that this uses natural flavor, and no longer artificial. Before it kind of had the aftertaste of a watermelon Laffy Taffy. If you see it, grab it. Definitely perfect for the summertime.

2.52/5  rDev -18.2%

A - A lighter yellow. Am I high, or are there tiny green hues at the thin parts of the glass? Also, a thin head.

S - I popped the cap, and way before I was about to pour it, the smell jumped up my nose. I was really caught off guard. Upon further investigation, I have to admit, despite being impressed by it's strength, it doesn't really remind me of beer at all. It reminds me of candy, and kind of insincere.

T - O no. No no. I'm drinking this after an awesome Stone brewery beer. This... No thanks. Is it beer? You know, I think they might have traded the grains with watermelon. My advice to Hooker brewing, scrap this thing, the novelty is going to wear off soon enough for anyone who really enjoys beer. O god, I just burped, it's like I just burped Captain Crunch.

M - Very fizzy, approaching a flattish champagne. It's a bit too sharp I think, and it fades out pretty quick too.

D - Eww. It's like someone poisoned my lovely Hooker beer with synthetic high-fructose pharma-flavoring.

3.54/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Not a winter beer for sure, but cleaning out the back of the fridge.

pours light orange copper with fizzy white foam that settles out. Punchy watermelon smell. Jolly rancher watermelon candy taste. Medium carbonation. The fruit taste is present throughout. Simple ale, dominated by that fruit flavor. Unique for sure, and not half bad for a novelty beer. But one is plenty.

3.42/5  rDev +11%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A big shout out to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with watermelon, jolly ranchers come to mind. Taste is mild compared to the smell. Some watermelon, a bit of wheat, light and subdued. Feels light in the mouth and overall a refreshing beer, but not something I would want a steady diet of.

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Sampled on May 16, 2010. The pour was a pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head and limited lacing. The aroma of watermelon is noticeable as soon as the pour is complete and overpowering above everything else. A little light maltiness in there as well but it is really the watermelon scent that is going on. The mouthfeel is of average texture but also kind of creamy. Watermelon takes over the taste with a very thin and slightly dry hoppiness at the end. This is probably refreshing on a hot day but since I am not a big watermelon fan in the first place it is hard for me to reap praise on this one.

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale, lemon pour is translucent with a dirty bread white head that was skim thin and quick to dissipate not leaving alot of adjectives or interest to write home about. Faint visible carbonation. meh.

S: Watermelon, more green flesh then red pulp. Smells like watermelon jolly rancher, artificial, though label claims otherwise. Moderate awareness.

T: Soda like flavor, rather shandy, the melon is there, but more green melon, and again jolly rancher like, sweetened type malting and dry. Candy like, artifical watermelon, dont care what the label says, with some cough syrup like dryness on the swallow.

M: Some carbonation, but quite mundane, light medium body, light syrupy with a warming of watermelon cough medicine.

O: Overall a novelty beer, i prefered 21st admendments take over this. Not something i would drink in multiples, as im guessing this is what it should of strived for, a crisp, lightly fruity like experience, but comes off artificial and rather candy like (jolly rancher). Not something i would find refreshing nor crisp even on a hot summer day, gimmicky. It is what it is, but like mentioned earlier, 21st amendment did a somewhat more respectable job if you must partake in the novelty aspect.

3.08/5  rDev 0%

12oz long neck. Consumed 12/21/09 (forgot I had this in the basement since summer...)

A) Pours with a wispy, one finger head. Settles quickly to big bubble lacing. Visible sediment. Upward carbonation. Copper with pink hues.
S) Watermelon - like Jolly Ranchers. That's it.
T) Watermelon and some caramel malt up front. Then the malts drop out and watermelon greets nutty grain. Finishes grainy with hop notes. Subtle watermelon and hops in the aftertaste.
M) Crisp. Fizzy. Light body. Dry.
D) A refreshing beer for the summertime.

2.56/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz bottle received as an extra with a note attached warning me it was a "polarizing" beer. It's warm out today and the only other beers in the fridge are high abv so I figured I'd give it a shot. Poured into a tulip 06/06/10.

Pretty clean blonde body with a large but poorly retained fluffy white head.

Watermelon aroma is huge. The second I dismissed the cap a wave of watermelon leapt up at me so aggressively I can feel it in the back of my mouth. Reminded me of watermelon Jolly Rancher candies.

Not quite as much watermelon on the palate as there was on the nose but it's still pretty prominent and keeps me from dialing in on the beers other characteristics. I find myself not breathing through my nose to take the edge off.

Carbonation looked very active when I first poured but it calmed down quickly. After a few sips I've adjusted to the fruit candy character and I'm having an easier time getting through it but not necessarily enjoying it. Interesting idea but I wouldn't drink it again.

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

Wow it smells like a Jolly Rancher, a real strong watermelon smell. The appearance is just about any other pilsner. As for taste, these guys hit it right as far as it goes on a watermelon ale. The taste is mild, way less that you think due to the strong smell. This the best melon beer we have sampled. Very clean off the mouth and is a great summer time beer. Fidge worthy in the summer months. Ladies will love this one too. Every once in a while you should have a liquid that taste like this. Bring on the BBQ and Hooker watermelon ale.

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Color was a bid reddish brown, with next to no head. Aroma was extremely strong, I could smell watermelon the second I opened the cap. Reminded me of a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Taste was slightly maltly, with a small hint of watermelon mixed in. Nothing special. Felt ok in the mouth. A smidgen thin, but still tingled the tongue. Ok to drink, but not what I would rush to for a thirst quencher. More of a oddball once in a great while.

A novelty summertime ale with a big watermelon smell and aftertaste. Good sessionable conversation piece.

A = garnet colored ale with thinish pinkish head.

S = BIG watermelon smell.

T = a relatively mild ale with a big watermelon note especially at the beginning and end. Taste is more accurate than watermelon bubblegum but slighlty less that the real thing.

M = average. Like a too mild inoffensive ale.

D = The novelty of this beer was evidenced by the fact it was passed around and sampled by just about everyone. The watermelon smell and taste were evident to all. Several thought well enough to drink several, including me. A decent summer session beer, especially on a hot & humid day.

Like the bottle says: "Strangely Refreshing", especially to novice beer drinkers, the trendy Corona crowd and those looking for something different beyond the Blue Moon family of weakened wheat beers. As my brother in law Dennis The Menace said: "In the past I have eaten watermelon and drank beer at the same time - this is exactly like that". Enough said.

2.41/5  rDev -21.8%

L: Pours a pinkish-orangey color with a medium sized and medium bodied white head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells like a watermelon jolly rancher really. Not much else in the nose.
T: Tastes alot like the watermelon jolly rancher but that taste quickly fades and leaves an aftertaste very similar to liquid penicillin.
M: Very light with the right amount of carbonation.
D: Not really that drinkable because of the aftertaste.

3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
Appears a transparent light orange with a small white head that fizzles out into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of Watermelon Jolly Rancher candy...literally, the first thing that popped in my head.
Taste is of the obvious watermelon, along with a touch of nutty grain and bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, easy going down, and lip smacking.

3.59/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a craft glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden with a three-quarter-inch white head that swiftly recedes to film. Carbonation is heavy. No lacing at all. Looks like a lager or golden ale, with some wheat haziness.

Aroma: Hello, watermelon. This really, really smells like watermelon. Also some bubble gum and wheat and a little hop bitterness. I'm expecting a big watermelon punch from this. Alcohol is faint if it's even present. Also some citrus notes.

Taste: To my surprise, the watermelon taste is more of an accent. It definitely dominates the flavor profile, but it doesn't come across as severe as the aroma indicates. It's basically a decent wheaty golden ale with some watermelon kick. Kind of tastes like drinking a cream ale or golden ale while chewing watermelon gum. Not surprised to see wheat in the grain bill; it definitely has a wheaty backbone, which is good, because it prevents the watermelon flavor from being cloying. It's a sweet-tasting beer, but not to the point where it makes me recoil.

Mouthfeel: Light body, which adds to the light and refreshing profile. It has the level of depth that it should.

Overall: Maybe it's the fact that it's March 1 after a brutalizing February. Maybe it's because I've got Spring Training baseball on TV and I'm feeling ready for tones of summer. Maybe it's because I'm eating a delicious bowl of chili and this beer complimented it perfectly. But, I have to admit, I enjoyed this. I kind of wanted to not like it because fruit beer is pretty corny, but the refreshing nature of this beer beat back my cynicism. It's a nice warm-weather treat. Judge me.

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Tully's in Maine on the back up from York. I know Tully's has some nice beers there but just wanted something really different.

This beer delivers as being different. I swear I said Jolly Rancher once I smelled and tasted it, this is before I read the other reviews.

This is a sweet watermelon forward brew they are not kidding when they say more than a mouthful.

I liked it. It isn't the beer you need to hunt down or trade for but it is nice and if you are looking for something different give this one a try its really nice.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light pinkish gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of watermelons, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with strong and sweet watermelon flavor that is followed by light but bready malts. The hops presence is very mild and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty if you like the watermelon flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, I'm not usually a big fan of most fruit-infused beer but there are several others out there that are better than this one.

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer produced a very thin layer of head when poured into my pint glass, which promptly subsided to a thin ring but nothing more. Color was yellow, and although it was clear, there were lots of miniscule floaters.

Aroma was of watermelon, watermelon, and watermelon. Then some strawberries and apples. And did I mention watermelon?

Taste was of lighter malts upfront, followed by a bit of graininess. Some fruitiness came in with the inhale, but none was present in the taste until after the swallow, when a hint of watermelon came in.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, good body for a blonde ale with appropriate carbonation.

Good marks for drinkability. The label says "strangely refreshing", and they're right. This would make a good one-time session beer, but then the novelty might wear off.

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%

Has a nice golden color to it, looks like a great summer brew. A decent sized frothy white head. Smells exactly like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, I'm sure they hear that a lot. Can pick up on some citrus, but the artificial watermelon is really overpowering. Tastes is pretty crisp, some hop taste to it, very refreshing but an in-your-face watermelon aftertaste takes a bit away from the overall taste of the beer.

I couldn't have more than a pint of this, just because of the extreme watermelon taste. I'm sure this would be an absolute hit for a non-beer drinker too.

3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with a Bottled On Date of 2011-05-03. Had to give it a try. Pours a translucent straw color with almost no head. Smells like a watermelon blow pop. Very sugary sweet candy watermelon aroma. The flavor is as huge as the aroma made me think it would be. Certainly has a lot of that watermelon flavor but I thought it would be more. Maybe can taste some malts and grains but it mostly is like an adjunct lager with a sweet candy watermelon flavor to it. It's a weird beer and I couldn't drink it often, but it's not bad at all. Crisp, smooth and easy to drink even with the fruity taste. Overall, I have no issue with having this once in a blue moon(no pun intended).

4.16/5  rDev +35.1%

Immediately smelling like a watermelon candy, I was surprised that the malts were strongest, not the fruit. I am not at all a hop-head, so to have a lighter beer with light hopping was a surprise.

I took a growler to a party; nobody was a conneseur, just basic folks. The beer was well enjoyed all around.

I found this to be an easy, drinkable beer of a basic uncomplicated simplicity. This is not a knock-your-socks-off beer, but an interesting and pleasant alternative

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company