Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.
1.52/5  rDev -52.8%

Heading out on the boat my wife brings home a few six packs to take out. Unfortunately Hooker Watermelon was one of them. I used to brew quit a bit and have made both Ale and lager watermelon beers that people loved. A very light after taste of melon not an over powering tidal wave on the taste buds like this beer. Pop off the top and the strong artificial smell of jolly ranchers hits you hard. I actually like that smell and the jolly ranchers so this doesn't stop me from drinking it. It looks okay and pours nice. Mouth feel isn't bad. The taste comes at you same as the smell. A very over powering artificial watermelon. Really wanted to like this beer but all 5 of us all felt one was enough. Actually I don't think anyone but my son home from collage finished. Sorry but I do not recommend spending your last dollars on this brew unless you like a beer that taste like candy.
Jay (889 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.5%

Poured from a 12 oz into a pint glass

A - Light orange, very hazy, Looks like it's got some body to it.

S - Smells very sweet. An artificial sweet, like 70 watermelon jolly ranchers were liquified into my pint glass.

T - I will admit, the first sip, ok. After that the sweetness built up on my palate it was just unbearable. When I'm in the mood for a beer, I don't want candy. I feel like I'm going to get diabetes after the first three sips.

M - Thing, light, way too sweet.

D - I could only take 4 sips. (514 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -34.5%

Picked up a single in order to try my first 'Watermelon Beer'

A-Pours a very light golden blonde with nearly no haze. Small fizzy head appears then fades to a tight white cap. The lace is unreliable and light.

S-Yikes! This one smells exactly like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Nearly overwhelming aroma of sugary, artificial watermelons. You really must focus in order to find any beer aspects behind the watermelon. Light grains and malts behind the candy flavor.

T-The taste is very odd. Not really hitting the right spot. The flavor of the watermelon is much more watery. The underlying aspects of the beer are more noticeable. Overall, intermingling of the flavors do not work well together. Thank god I didn't get a six pack (even though I wouldn't dare).

M-Oddly sticky. The body is heavier than expected. Just doesn't go down well.

O/D-Not a fan of this at all. Quite nearly a drain pour. Flavors do not mix correctly. Feel is off. Not good. (952 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -34.2%

Okay, even before I smell or taste this one, I am dubious. Open mind, I remind myself.

The beer looks nice. Good head, decent lace. Golden-amber color, cloudy.

Think Sweettart when smelling this beer. Quite candy-like--it also reminds me of the taste of children's aspirin. If I were blindfolded, I would never guess that this a beer.

The taste is an improvement from the smell. Still, it is closer to soda than a beer. The body is appropriate.

First thought, I'd place this beer in the Fruit category. Secondly, I cannot detect any watermelon. A clear miss in many ways. (576 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -25.2%

L: Pours a pinkish-orangey color with a medium sized and medium bodied white head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells like a watermelon jolly rancher really. Not much else in the nose.
T: Tastes alot like the watermelon jolly rancher but that taste quickly fades and leaves an aftertaste very similar to liquid penicillin.
M: Very light with the right amount of carbonation.
D: Not really that drinkable because of the aftertaste. (449 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

(from notes taken at a bar in CT in Sept)

Playboy names this on the Top 10 Beers of Summer list? Are you kidding?

I really went into this experience wanting to be wowwed, but, well, you be the judge. It poured a very carbonated yellowish pink (almost unnatural for a beer), and smelled of watermelon jolly ranchers. Obviously not a surprise on the latter, but I was hoping that the texture and other inherent flavors would lead to a nicely quenching summer beer. The artificial (per the label on the bottle) watermelon flavor was not as strong in the taste as it was in the nose, and ended on a bitter note...not hoppy bitter, just bad bitter. It also left a bad aftertaste, which made me continue to sip, just to wash out my mouth. The body was extremely thin and carbonated, more than likely in an attempt to attract the lawnmower crowd, but nothing that felt right with the flavor. I could see that some might enjoy sessioning this beer, as the feel certainly allows it, but the flavor (or lack thereof) was just too much for me..and not in a good way. (1,058 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Think Jolly Rancher watermelon. Pours a pale yellow and the smell is just full of sugar. The taste is very sugary sweet and a taste that is more than comparable to artificial watermelon flavor. Not for me but I can see how some people would really like this one. (263 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

I should have heeded goodbyeohio's warning. I'll listen next time Jim. A 12 ounce bottle purchased at Abe's. Poured into my nonic pint glass. The ale appears a clear copper color with a thin layer of off white head. Smells and tastes like artificially flavored watermelon hard candies (jolly ranchers, which I fucking loathe), watermelon blow pops, some sort of lightly toasted grain. Oily, thin watery body with light carbonation. After swallowing, the flavor vanishes. Don't waste your time or calories on this abomination. (525 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale, lemon pour is translucent with a dirty bread white head that was skim thin and quick to dissipate not leaving alot of adjectives or interest to write home about. Faint visible carbonation. meh.

S: Watermelon, more green flesh then red pulp. Smells like watermelon jolly rancher, artificial, though label claims otherwise. Moderate awareness.

T: Soda like flavor, rather shandy, the melon is there, but more green melon, and again jolly rancher like, sweetened type malting and dry. Candy like, artifical watermelon, dont care what the label says, with some cough syrup like dryness on the swallow.

M: Some carbonation, but quite mundane, light medium body, light syrupy with a warming of watermelon cough medicine.

O: Overall a novelty beer, i prefered 21st admendments take over this. Not something i would drink in multiples, as im guessing this is what it should of strived for, a crisp, lightly fruity like experience, but comes off artificial and rather candy like (jolly rancher). Not something i would find refreshing nor crisp even on a hot summer day, gimmicky. It is what it is, but like mentioned earlier, 21st amendment did a somewhat more respectable job if you must partake in the novelty aspect. (1,226 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%

A - A lighter yellow. Am I high, or are there tiny green hues at the thin parts of the glass? Also, a thin head.

S - I popped the cap, and way before I was about to pour it, the smell jumped up my nose. I was really caught off guard. Upon further investigation, I have to admit, despite being impressed by it's strength, it doesn't really remind me of beer at all. It reminds me of candy, and kind of insincere.

T - O no. No no. I'm drinking this after an awesome Stone brewery beer. This... No thanks. Is it beer? You know, I think they might have traded the grains with watermelon. My advice to Hooker brewing, scrap this thing, the novelty is going to wear off soon enough for anyone who really enjoys beer. O god, I just burped, it's like I just burped Captain Crunch.

M - Very fizzy, approaching a flattish champagne. It's a bit too sharp I think, and it fades out pretty quick too.

D - Eww. It's like someone poisoned my lovely Hooker beer with synthetic high-fructose pharma-flavoring. (999 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -20.5%

12 oz bottle received as an extra with a note attached warning me it was a "polarizing" beer. It's warm out today and the only other beers in the fridge are high abv so I figured I'd give it a shot. Poured into a tulip 06/06/10.

Pretty clean blonde body with a large but poorly retained fluffy white head.

Watermelon aroma is huge. The second I dismissed the cap a wave of watermelon leapt up at me so aggressively I can feel it in the back of my mouth. Reminded me of watermelon Jolly Rancher candies.

Not quite as much watermelon on the palate as there was on the nose but it's still pretty prominent and keeps me from dialing in on the beers other characteristics. I find myself not breathing through my nose to take the edge off.

Carbonation looked very active when I first poured but it calmed down quickly. After a few sips I've adjusted to the fruit candy character and I'm having an easier time getting through it but not necessarily enjoying it. Interesting idea but I wouldn't drink it again. (1,007 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Looks pretty pleasing. Has a nice straw yellow hue with traces of a mysterious red. Impressive head with a good amount of lacing. Medium sized beads of carbonation bubbling up constantly.

S - Smells like a Jolly Rancher. That's it. When you're about to take a sip you might smell something remotely beer like, but it's a stretch.

T - Tastes like cardboard dipped in watermelon chemicals. Really appalling. At least it ends rather quickly. I would say more but I'm trying to avoid drinking much more of this.

MF - Doesn't feel too bad. The carbonation adds a nice spritzer like feel to it.

D - I'm glad I only got one from a friend. I'll leave it at that.

Overall it seems like a Smirnoff Ice poured into a Keystone and left in the sun. (745 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a light and pale yellow. Lots of bubbles and a thick white head. Smells of watermelon candy and a hint of grainy grass. The flavor is much the same, with a light and sweet grain body, dominated by a cloying artificial tasting watermelon flavor. Mouthfeel is nice, light, crisp and well carbed to carry the flavor. Feel is probably the finest part of the beer.

I don't see how this stuff uses real watermelons. It tastes utterly artificial. A good beer if you want to pound candy juice in the sun...otherwise try 21st amendments. I can see how some people would adore this stuff though. (592 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden body with very little head. Nothing on the glass at all after it settles down. Quite hazy.

S: Smells like sugar. Obviously they've tried to make it smell like watermelon, but it reminds me of watermelon sourpatch candy.

T: Tastes the same as it smells. Lots of sugary taste, but it feels artificial. It's very refreshing, if only for the extreme sweetness.

M: Very thin. Not much substance, and if not for the sweetness there'd be nothing enjoyable about the mouthfeel.

O: Tasty, but only if you enjoy sugar. Not a lof of traditional beer attributes here, so not for those who wouldn't enjoy a Mike's Hard Lemonade. (631 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into my Mad Fox glass. It was a pale golden yellow color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer. Decent head retention to it as I drank it.

The aroma immediately reminds me of a pink starburst. The watermelon is definitely very present, but I seem to get a little strawberry to it as as well. It's sweet and almost candy like. The more I drink of it the more the pink starburst analogy seems to fit.

The taste is also pretty dominated by the candy like, strawberry and watermelon extract flavor. Again the pink starburst flavor is there, but more up front. I do get some pale, grainy malts in it as well that at least lets me know I'm drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. Overall it was light and refreshing and could be drinkable on a hot day. I found it too sweet overall though and the fruity flavors seemed very fake and extract like. The pink starburst flavor was a little strange, but the pink ones are my favorite at least. (1,004 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%

Clear apricot colored with streams of fine bubbles rising up to a bright white head of foam that quickly sizzles away.

Sweet aroma of some bready malt and yeastiness and a heavy dose of Jolly Rancher.

Very faint flavor, watery, notes of watermelon rind and grass, some floral highlights. Not too complex.

Thin and watery mouthfeel, but tingly in the finish.

Low drinkability for me, I suppose there are some people who would love this, and it probably serves a purpose and a market, but not for me. (502 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%

Sampled on May 16, 2010. The pour was a pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head and limited lacing. The aroma of watermelon is noticeable as soon as the pour is complete and overpowering above everything else. A little light maltiness in there as well but it is really the watermelon scent that is going on. The mouthfeel is of average texture but also kind of creamy. Watermelon takes over the taste with a very thin and slightly dry hoppiness at the end. This is probably refreshing on a hot day but since I am not a big watermelon fan in the first place it is hard for me to reap praise on this one. (603 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%

Had this one the other night. Pours a yellow golden pale color with a thin white head that vanishes quickly. I stuck my nose in this and thought it smelled like watermelon Jolly Ranchers. I enjoyed smelling it, but it just smelled like candy. I couldn't find any trace of beer aromas. The taste was much more mild than the smell. I could still primarily taste the watermelon but it was much more faint than what the aroma led me to believe it would be. I can taste some grains, but I don't know if it's my subconscious knowledge of knowing that it is an ingredient in beer trying to convince myself this is Kool-Aid. The mouth feel is good, light body with nothing really offensive. The flavor is what it is supposed to be I suppose and it is refreshing so this is any easy one to kick back.
Not a bad effort overall, but I think the watermelon beer is more of a novelty than anything. This just hardly reminds me of beer, even though I had to show my ID to get it. (965 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

40F in a pilsner glass

A- light copper with a fast dissipating head

S- faint watermelon aroma

T- mild flavor, very nondescript

M - just short of watery

D- this is nothing special. Not much flavor, very little aroma, and watery. Not worth paying for. (255 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured out an amber/copper color with a thin head.

Smell was mostly watermelons with a light hint of grain. A lot on the sweet side.

So with that aroma, I was preparing for a sticky sweet beer, but luckily it wasn't. In fact, the taste was very faint. A touch of watermelon with some grain notes.

Mouthfeel was light with a good dose of carbonation.

It's a summer beer and I'm sure that's what they got out of this beer with a market that they're trying to target, but it didn't do it for me. I just hope that they'll be more creative in the future. (555 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a nice golden copper color, not much head.
The aroma hits you over the head, big artificial watermelon aroma. Smells like the watermelon gum I used to chew as a kid. Its not offensive, just a really sweet smell. Initial sip is watermelon, then you get a little of the beer, a little wheat and malt. Almost like chewing watermelon gum and drinking a summer wheat. Not really a great taste. Mouthfeel is is ok. Little artificial aftertaste. I am sure you could drink plenty of these if you liked the taste. For me, I'll pass on this one. Just not a good combination. (570 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -11.2%

Reviewed on 09/09/2009. Bottle. Pours a light pink/orange with a small white head. Aroma is incredibly fruity and sugary. It actually reminds me of a strawberry Starburst, although I suppose there are some watermelon notes too. Very aromatic; you can smell this thing from a mile away. Flavor of the same strawberry/watermelon Starburst with a touch of wheat notes in the finish, although it is primarily a sugar/fruit bomb. This is not very beer-like although I can't say I didn't enjoy it. However, it does become harder to drink as you attempt plow through it. Interesting, that's about all I can say. (604 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Has a nice golden color to it, looks like a great summer brew. A decent sized frothy white head. Smells exactly like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, I'm sure they hear that a lot. Can pick up on some citrus, but the artificial watermelon is really overpowering. Tastes is pretty crisp, some hop taste to it, very refreshing but an in-your-face watermelon aftertaste takes a bit away from the overall taste of the beer.

I couldn't have more than a pint of this, just because of the extreme watermelon taste. I'm sure this would be an absolute hit for a non-beer drinker too. (570 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Picked up on a whim at Julio's to complete a "mix a six" pack, wish I hadn't.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear yellow pour with a fizzy half a finger head that rapidly faded to leave light white swirls.

S - Watermelon jolly rancher.

T - Sweet, fake watermelon jollyrancher flavour followed by some wheat and typical ale notes. Way too fake and too sweet.

M - Starts off with nice, high carbonation but quickly becomes lackluster and thin.

O - Just an average "watermelon" beer. I keep trying these hoping to find one I'll enjoy but nothing has really brought watermelon strong. Always the fake aroma and taste. (629 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Pours a hazy greenish yellow with yellow highlights. It actually looks a lot like Mountain Dew. Has a thin white head that dissipates immediately, leaving a thin ring that holds throughout and has surprisingly good lacing.

Smells really sweet, and the aroma of watermelon is overwhelming. It smells a lot like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. There are some hints of yeast and floral hops in there, but not much.

Not nearly as sweet or watermelon-flavored as the aroma would indicate. Watermelon is present, but there are also notes of wheat and floral hops. Not terribly complex, but better than expected.

Light in body and carbonation level. Smooth, crisp, and refreshing - exactly what you'd expect from a blonde ale.

A little strange, but an OK brew in it's own right. Not something worth going out of your way for, but the perfect way to add a little variety when you're looking for something you can suck down a few of on a hot afternoon, (944 characters)

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company