Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.

(Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008)

1.04/5  rDev -66%

1.5/5  rDev -51%

Heading out on the boat my wife brings home a few six packs to take out. Unfortunately Hooker Watermelon was one of them. I used to brew quit a bit and have made both Ale and lager watermelon beers that people loved. A very light after taste of melon not an over powering tidal wave on the taste buds like this beer. Pop off the top and the strong artificial smell of jolly ranchers hits you hard. I actually like that smell and the jolly ranchers so this doesn't stop me from drinking it. It looks okay and pours nice. Mouth feel isn't bad. The taste comes at you same as the smell. A very over powering artificial watermelon. Really wanted to like this beer but all 5 of us all felt one was enough. Actually I don't think anyone but my son home from collage finished. Sorry but I do not recommend spending your last dollars on this brew unless you like a beer that taste like candy.
Jay

1.75/5  rDev -42.8%

1.78/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured from a 12 oz into a pint glass

A - Light orange, very hazy, Looks like it's got some body to it.

S - Smells very sweet. An artificial sweet, like 70 watermelon jolly ranchers were liquified into my pint glass.

T - I will admit, the first sip, ok. After that the sweetness built up on my palate it was just unbearable. When I'm in the mood for a beer, I don't want candy. I feel like I'm going to get diabetes after the first three sips.

M - Thing, light, way too sweet.

D - I could only take 4 sips.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.1/5  rDev -31.4%

Picked up a single in order to try my first 'Watermelon Beer'

A-Pours a very light golden blonde with nearly no haze. Small fizzy head appears then fades to a tight white cap. The lace is unreliable and light.

S-Yikes! This one smells exactly like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Nearly overwhelming aroma of sugary, artificial watermelons. You really must focus in order to find any beer aspects behind the watermelon. Light grains and malts behind the candy flavor.

T-The taste is very odd. Not really hitting the right spot. The flavor of the watermelon is much more watery. The underlying aspects of the beer are more noticeable. Overall, intermingling of the flavors do not work well together. Thank god I didn't get a six pack (even though I wouldn't dare).

M-Oddly sticky. The body is heavier than expected. Just doesn't go down well.

O/D-Not a fan of this at all. Quite nearly a drain pour. Flavors do not mix correctly. Feel is off. Not good.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company