Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.
Ratings: 203 | Reviews: 78
3.42/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a bottle of this one into a pint glass, it was a pale yellow color. Very clear looking body with a soapy white head. The aroma was pretty nice actually the watermelon was subtle enough that you could still pick up some of the malts in the brew. The flavor of this beer is good at first when it's right out of the fridge and still cold. The watermelon isn't overly sweet at that point and is kind of refreshing. As the beer warms up though it starts to get a little funky, This kind of turned me off from this brew. The mouthfeel was super light and highly drinkable for summer time. Just drink it fast.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light pinkish gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of watermelons, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with strong and sweet watermelon flavor that is followed by light but bready malts. The hops presence is very mild and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty if you like the watermelon flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, I'm not usually a big fan of most fruit-infused beer but there are several others out there that are better than this one.

3.1/5  rDev +1%

First off... props to Hooker for putting a nice, unique beer on the market. Second, this is in no way a blonde ale, not sure how it got that classification. Moving on.. it pours a salmon kind of color, nice head to it. Smell is pretty strong of watermelons, a bit of a fakeness to the odor though. Taste (luckily) isn't as as heavy in the watermelon flavor, and is light bodied with a decent mouthfeel. Finishes very dry, which hurts this beer a lot. Taste is pretty good and interesting but after you swallow you feel like you need to drink some water to get saliva back in your mouth. If it wasn't for this awkward finish I'd give it pretty good marks but that kinda kills it.... Good to try as a novelty thing but I can't see buying a six pack of this.

2.12/5  rDev -30.9%

Okay, even before I smell or taste this one, I am dubious. Open mind, I remind myself.

The beer looks nice. Good head, decent lace. Golden-amber color, cloudy.

Think Sweettart when smelling this beer. Quite candy-like--it also reminds me of the taste of children's aspirin. If I were blindfolded, I would never guess that this a beer.

The taste is an improvement from the smell. Still, it is closer to soda than a beer. The body is appropriate.

First thought, I'd place this beer in the Fruit category. Secondly, I cannot detect any watermelon. A clear miss in many ways.

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is decent. I has a light pale malt scent along with a wonderfully fruity watermelon aroma. Yes, it's weak and watery, but the watermelon aroma is pretty damn refreshing. The taste, however is quite weak an devoid of character. It has a light pale malt taste along with a dry, artificial watermelon flavor. It goes down quick and easy with a thin, watery finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is your basic commercial fruit beer. It's nothing to get excited about, but it's enjoyable on a hot day.

3.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I CAN't believe what a fruity afternoon it has become! I just reviewed a Pineapple Hefeweizen for The CANQuest (TM) and now I am moving onto Watermelon Ale. SMH.

From the CAN: "Seasonal Release"; "Strangely Refreshing"; "This crisp and tasty Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a refreshing, thirst-quenching brew. Sure to become a Summertime favorite!"

I had forgotten just how much I miss the auditory aspect of the Crack! during my CAN hiatus. I have said repeatedly that one reason for the inverted Glug is the creation of head and the release of esters. In this case, I had three-plus fingers of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention that actually produced sticky lacing as it fell. Color was a Pale-Straw (SRM = 1- 2) with NE-quality clarity and I again found myself thinking about a beer that is lighter on the way in than on the way out. Speaking of esters, it was redolent with watermelon in terms of its nose. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery(melon). The taste was definitely watermelon, and while it was clearly not artificially flavored, it just seemed awfully strange. Finish was semi-dry, quite refreshing, and a good Summer beer. I thought that one was plenty, but there are lots of people who really dig fruit beers. As such, YMMV.

My original bottle review follows, date unknown.

I really like it when Hookers have watermelons! Let's get to the verbiage so that I can continue this further.

From the bottle: "More than a mouthful"; "Strangely refreshing"; "Ale with Natural Watermelon flavor".

There is a school of thought that says that more than a mouthful is a waste, but it all depends on what one is trying to accomplish, especially with a Hooker. I always feel refreshed after some strange and watermelons can go a long way towards a good time.

Right after my cap popped, I went with an aggressive pour so as to get my money's worth. I promise to be more gentle after this. I had a finger of bone-white head with excellent retention and the hazy, fizzy lemon-yellow color of the beer put me in mind of a silhouette of a lemon meringue pie. Nose really smelled like watermelon, not Jolly Rancher chemically-produced esters watermelon! I should not laugh, but I just could not help it. This is amusing in its strangeness. Mouthfeel was soft and the watermelon flavor was not as in-your-face as the nose had led me to expect. Instead, it seemed to be tempered by a biscuit malt taste which was the right way to go. This could have been way too sweet for enjoyment, but instead, it took on a light bitterness at the finish, reminiscent of biting too deeply and getting a taste of white rind instead of pink flesh. I liked it, but I am more inclined towards other fruit, so one was probably enough. Tasty, sure, but more of a novelty than something to sustain me.

2.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into my Mad Fox glass. It was a pale golden yellow color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer. Decent head retention to it as I drank it.

The aroma immediately reminds me of a pink starburst. The watermelon is definitely very present, but I seem to get a little strawberry to it as as well. It's sweet and almost candy like. The more I drink of it the more the pink starburst analogy seems to fit.

The taste is also pretty dominated by the candy like, strawberry and watermelon extract flavor. Again the pink starburst flavor is there, but more up front. I do get some pale, grainy malts in it as well that at least lets me know I'm drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. Overall it was light and refreshing and could be drinkable on a hot day. I found it too sweet overall though and the fruity flavors seemed very fake and extract like. The pink starburst flavor was a little strange, but the pink ones are my favorite at least.

3.55/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
Appears a transparent light orange with a small white head that fizzles out into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of Watermelon Jolly Rancher candy...literally, the first thing that popped in my head.
Taste is of the obvious watermelon, along with a touch of nutty grain and bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, easy going down, and lip smacking.

3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Clear pale straw color. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Strong watermelon nose and flavor is almost sour watermelon. $2.99 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Marlboro, MA.

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale, lemon pour is translucent with a dirty bread white head that was skim thin and quick to dissipate not leaving alot of adjectives or interest to write home about. Faint visible carbonation. meh.

S: Watermelon, more green flesh then red pulp. Smells like watermelon jolly rancher, artificial, though label claims otherwise. Moderate awareness.

T: Soda like flavor, rather shandy, the melon is there, but more green melon, and again jolly rancher like, sweetened type malting and dry. Candy like, artifical watermelon, dont care what the label says, with some cough syrup like dryness on the swallow.

M: Some carbonation, but quite mundane, light medium body, light syrupy with a warming of watermelon cough medicine.

O: Overall a novelty beer, i prefered 21st admendments take over this. Not something i would drink in multiples, as im guessing this is what it should of strived for, a crisp, lightly fruity like experience, but comes off artificial and rather candy like (jolly rancher). Not something i would find refreshing nor crisp even on a hot summer day, gimmicky. It is what it is, but like mentioned earlier, 21st amendment did a somewhat more respectable job if you must partake in the novelty aspect.

3.42/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A big shout out to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with watermelon, jolly ranchers come to mind. Taste is mild compared to the smell. Some watermelon, a bit of wheat, light and subdued. Feels light in the mouth and overall a refreshing beer, but not something I would want a steady diet of.

2.73/5  rDev -11.1%

Sampled on May 16, 2010. The pour was a pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head and limited lacing. The aroma of watermelon is noticeable as soon as the pour is complete and overpowering above everything else. A little light maltiness in there as well but it is really the watermelon scent that is going on. The mouthfeel is of average texture but also kind of creamy. Watermelon takes over the taste with a very thin and slightly dry hoppiness at the end. This is probably refreshing on a hot day but since I am not a big watermelon fan in the first place it is hard for me to reap praise on this one.

2.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Picked up on a whim at Julio's to complete a "mix a six" pack, wish I hadn't.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear yellow pour with a fizzy half a finger head that rapidly faded to leave light white swirls.

S - Watermelon jolly rancher.

T - Sweet, fake watermelon jollyrancher flavour followed by some wheat and typical ale notes. Way too fake and too sweet.

M - Starts off with nice, high carbonation but quickly becomes lackluster and thin.

O - Just an average "watermelon" beer. I keep trying these hoping to find one I'll enjoy but nothing has really brought watermelon strong. Always the fake aroma and taste.

3.2/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz. bottle served in a standard pint glass. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch, off-white cap that revealed tiny ringlets as it dissipated. First impression of the nose is a watermelon jollyrancher. Taste was much more muted in the mouth and less sweet than suggested by the aroma out of the bottle; however, I feel like there's some artificial sweetener coming out somewhere in the mix. Mouthfeel is light and lively. This brew goes down easy, but the residual aftertaste kills it for me.

2.11/5  rDev -31.3%

Picked up a single in order to try my first 'Watermelon Beer'

A-Pours a very light golden blonde with nearly no haze. Small fizzy head appears then fades to a tight white cap. The lace is unreliable and light.

S-Yikes! This one smells exactly like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Nearly overwhelming aroma of sugary, artificial watermelons. You really must focus in order to find any beer aspects behind the watermelon. Light grains and malts behind the candy flavor.

T-The taste is very odd. Not really hitting the right spot. The flavor of the watermelon is much more watery. The underlying aspects of the beer are more noticeable. Overall, intermingling of the flavors do not work well together. Thank god I didn't get a six pack (even though I wouldn't dare).

M-Oddly sticky. The body is heavier than expected. Just doesn't go down well.

O/D-Not a fan of this at all. Quite nearly a drain pour. Flavors do not mix correctly. Feel is off. Not good.

3.47/5  rDev +13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a golden-yellow color with a one finger white head. The head faded fast to leave only a very small amount of lacing.

Smell – The aroma was heaviest of a watermelon aroma. It is somewhat artificial, but not too bad. While the watermelon is dominating, there are lighter notes a wheat nature as well.

Taste – The taste begins with a malty wheat flavor. A wheat is a light background flavor for the watermelon flavor to sit upon. The watermelon starts out sweet and light and gets more intense in flavor toward the middle of the taste. As the taste moves on further it loses some of the watermelon sweetness as some light hop flavors come to the tongue. In the end a mildly sweet yet rather potent watermelon flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – Te body of the beer is on the light to average side with a higher level of carbonation. Both are good for the sweet taste of the beer.

Overall – For a watermelon flavored beer it does have good watermelon flavor, but overall it is something I wouldn’t go out of my way to get.

3.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: clear, pink straw , 1 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: watermelon jolly rancher, a bit of wheat

Taste: toned down watermelon jolly rancher

Mouthfeel: drinks like a watermelon would eat--big sweet start that mellow down as you approach the white rind portion, can feel the carbonation, medium-light bodied

Drinkability: Not sure if I am a fan of watermelon ales, but this one certainly hits the mark. It is good for the watermelon fruit style. A bit sweet for me, I think I could have one maybe two max.

2.86/5  rDev -6.8%

Reviewed on 09/09/2009. Bottle. Pours a light pink/orange with a small white head. Aroma is incredibly fruity and sugary. It actually reminds me of a strawberry Starburst, although I suppose there are some watermelon notes too. Very aromatic; you can smell this thing from a mile away. Flavor of the same strawberry/watermelon Starburst with a touch of wheat notes in the finish, although it is primarily a sugar/fruit bomb. This is not very beer-like although I can't say I didn't enjoy it. However, it does become harder to drink as you attempt plow through it. Interesting, that's about all I can say.

3.31/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Draught @ brewery. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one. It pours a hazy pinkish color, with a small white head on it. The aroma is pretty much a love or hate thing. As others have said, it smells like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. This leads you to think the flavor was going to be a bit over the top. That turned out to be a wrong assumption. What is here is a very drinkable refreshing beer. Only a subdued taste of watermelon in a very crisp and refreshing beer. Watermelon isn't quite my thing, but this is a pretty good hot summer day beer.

3.54/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Not a winter beer for sure, but cleaning out the back of the fridge.

pours light orange copper with fizzy white foam that settles out. Punchy watermelon smell. Jolly rancher watermelon candy taste. Medium carbonation. The fruit taste is present throughout. Simple ale, dominated by that fruit flavor. Unique for sure, and not half bad for a novelty beer. But one is plenty.

3.5/5  rDev +14%

Thomas Hooker- Watermelon Ale

A- Light copper brown with a small but solid head. Ringed lacing along the top of the pint glass.
S- Light sweet watermelon with carmelized grain malt.
T- Light sweet grainy malt with hints of watermelon and grassy hops.
M- Sweet and malty. Sugary with an earthy grassy hop finish.

Overall- Definitely crisp and refreshing in a hot packed bar. Nice maltiness, for a watermelon ale it had some backbone.

3.01/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Here is all that Thomas Hooker's website lists about this beer:

"Watermelon Ale

Style: Ale

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence, which is accented with colorful hues, resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our More Than A Mouthful Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat."

Now on to my personal review of this beer, which I found on-tap at the Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston, MA.

Served in a pilsner glass with a golden body and almost no head.

I can smell the beer before it even gets to me, and when it does the entire table smells of watermelon. Pretty pleasant actually.

Taste is a different story. That strong watermelon aroma translates to overly-sweet and artificial tasting watermelon flavor. There is a weak malt backbone underneath the flavor, but not enough to balance out the watermelon flavor. A thin and watery mouthfeel.

Too sweet to be very drinkable.

2.47/5  rDev -19.5%

I should have heeded goodbyeohio's warning. I'll listen next time Jim. A 12 ounce bottle purchased at Abe's. Poured into my nonic pint glass. The ale appears a clear copper color with a thin layer of off white head. Smells and tastes like artificially flavored watermelon hard candies (jolly ranchers, which I fucking loathe), watermelon blow pops, some sort of lightly toasted grain. Oily, thin watery body with light carbonation. After swallowing, the flavor vanishes. Don't waste your time or calories on this abomination.

3.28/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours medium yellow with a foamy white head. No lacing, slight retention.

I smell watermelon rind and some thin jolly rancher candy. Some malt, but hard to find. Some mineral. Note: this is not overpowering in the fruit dept. Not horrific or over the top.

An ok balance of lighter malt and grain with the watermelon fruit. A bit artificial, but not overpowering. The malt, with light bitterness, tries to fight through. You get some grain, but that is about it. Finishes fairly clean.

Lighter bodied, good carbonation.

Eh. I wanted to try it. Kinda ok, but barely. You'd get bored (or sorry) if you had a six. In the end, I can read a label. You get what you get. Better than some, worse than others.

2.73/5  rDev -11.1%

Clear apricot colored with streams of fine bubbles rising up to a bright white head of foam that quickly sizzles away.

Sweet aroma of some bready malt and yeastiness and a heavy dose of Jolly Rancher.

Very faint flavor, watery, notes of watermelon rind and grass, some floral highlights. Not too complex.

Thin and watery mouthfeel, but tingly in the finish.

Low drinkability for me, I suppose there are some people who would love this, and it probably serves a purpose and a market, but not for me.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company