Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.

(Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008)

3.38/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a bottle of this one into a pint glass, it was a pale yellow color. Very clear looking body with a soapy white head. The aroma was pretty nice actually the watermelon was subtle enough that you could still pick up some of the malts in the brew. The flavor of this beer is good at first when it's right out of the fridge and still cold. The watermelon isn't overly sweet at that point and is kind of refreshing. As the beer warms up though it starts to get a little funky, This kind of turned me off from this brew. The mouthfeel was super light and highly drinkable for summer time. Just drink it fast.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light pinkish gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of watermelons, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with strong and sweet watermelon flavor that is followed by light but bready malts. The hops presence is very mild and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty if you like the watermelon flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, I'm not usually a big fan of most fruit-infused beer but there are several others out there that are better than this one.

3.28/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is decent. I has a light pale malt scent along with a wonderfully fruity watermelon aroma. Yes, it's weak and watery, but the watermelon aroma is pretty damn refreshing. The taste, however is quite weak an devoid of character. It has a light pale malt taste along with a dry, artificial watermelon flavor. It goes down quick and easy with a thin, watery finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is your basic commercial fruit beer. It's nothing to get excited about, but it's enjoyable on a hot day.

2.13/5  rDev -30.4%

Okay, even before I smell or taste this one, I am dubious. Open mind, I remind myself.

The beer looks nice. Good head, decent lace. Golden-amber color, cloudy.

Think Sweettart when smelling this beer. Quite candy-like--it also reminds me of the taste of children's aspirin. If I were blindfolded, I would never guess that this a beer.

The taste is an improvement from the smell. Still, it is closer to soda than a beer. The body is appropriate.

First thought, I'd place this beer in the Fruit category. Secondly, I cannot detect any watermelon. A clear miss in many ways.

3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

First off... props to Hooker for putting a nice, unique beer on the market. Second, this is in no way a blonde ale, not sure how it got that classification. Moving on.. it pours a salmon kind of color, nice head to it. Smell is pretty strong of watermelons, a bit of a fakeness to the odor though. Taste (luckily) isn't as as heavy in the watermelon flavor, and is light bodied with a decent mouthfeel. Finishes very dry, which hurts this beer a lot. Taste is pretty good and interesting but after you swallow you feel like you need to drink some water to get saliva back in your mouth. If it wasn't for this awkward finish I'd give it pretty good marks but that kinda kills it.... Good to try as a novelty thing but I can't see buying a six pack of this.

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.53/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I CAN't believe what a fruity afternoon it has become! I just reviewed a Pineapple Hefeweizen for The CANQuest (TM) and now I am moving onto Watermelon Ale. SMH.

From the CAN: "Seasonal Release"; "Strangely Refreshing"; "This crisp and tasty Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a refreshing, thirst-quenching brew. Sure to become a Summertime favorite!"

I had forgotten just how much I miss the auditory aspect of the Crack! during my CAN hiatus. I have said repeatedly that one reason for the inverted Glug is the creation of head and the release of esters. In this case, I had three-plus fingers of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention that actually produced sticky lacing as it fell. Color was a Pale-Straw (SRM = 1- 2) with NE-quality clarity and I again found myself thinking about a beer that is lighter on the way in than on the way out. Speaking of esters, it was redolent with watermelon in terms of its nose. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery(melon). The taste was definitely watermelon, and while it was clearly not artificially flavored, it just seemed awfully strange. Finish was semi-dry, quite refreshing, and a good Summer beer. I thought that one was plenty, but there are lots of people who really dig fruit beers. As such, YMMV.

My original bottle review follows, date unknown.

I really like it when Hookers have watermelons! Let's get to the verbiage so that I can continue this further.

From the bottle: "More than a mouthful"; "Strangely refreshing"; "Ale with Natural Watermelon flavor".

There is a school of thought that says that more than a mouthful is a waste, but it all depends on what one is trying to accomplish, especially with a Hooker. I always feel refreshed after some strange and watermelons can go a long way towards a good time.

Right after my cap popped, I went with an aggressive pour so as to get my money's worth. I promise to be more gentle after this. I had a finger of bone-white head with excellent retention and the hazy, fizzy lemon-yellow color of the beer put me in mind of a silhouette of a lemon meringue pie. Nose really smelled like watermelon, not Jolly Rancher chemically-produced esters watermelon! I should not laugh, but I just could not help it. This is amusing in its strangeness. Mouthfeel was soft and the watermelon flavor was not as in-your-face as the nose had led me to expect. Instead, it seemed to be tempered by a biscuit malt taste which was the right way to go. This could have been way too sweet for enjoyment, but instead, it took on a light bitterness at the finish, reminiscent of biting too deeply and getting a taste of white rind instead of pink flesh. I liked it, but I am more inclined towards other fruit, so one was probably enough. Tasty, sure, but more of a novelty than something to sustain me.

3.55/5  rDev +16%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
Appears a transparent light orange with a small white head that fizzles out into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of Watermelon Jolly Rancher candy...literally, the first thing that popped in my head.
Taste is of the obvious watermelon, along with a touch of nutty grain and bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, easy going down, and lip smacking.

3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Clear pale straw color. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Strong watermelon nose and flavor is almost sour watermelon. $2.99 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Marlboro, MA.

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into my Mad Fox glass. It was a pale golden yellow color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer. Decent head retention to it as I drank it.

The aroma immediately reminds me of a pink starburst. The watermelon is definitely very present, but I seem to get a little strawberry to it as as well. It's sweet and almost candy like. The more I drink of it the more the pink starburst analogy seems to fit.

The taste is also pretty dominated by the candy like, strawberry and watermelon extract flavor. Again the pink starburst flavor is there, but more up front. I do get some pale, grainy malts in it as well that at least lets me know I'm drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. Overall it was light and refreshing and could be drinkable on a hot day. I found it too sweet overall though and the fruity flavors seemed very fake and extract like. The pink starburst flavor was a little strange, but the pink ones are my favorite at least.

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale, lemon pour is translucent with a dirty bread white head that was skim thin and quick to dissipate not leaving alot of adjectives or interest to write home about. Faint visible carbonation. meh.

S: Watermelon, more green flesh then red pulp. Smells like watermelon jolly rancher, artificial, though label claims otherwise. Moderate awareness.

T: Soda like flavor, rather shandy, the melon is there, but more green melon, and again jolly rancher like, sweetened type malting and dry. Candy like, artifical watermelon, dont care what the label says, with some cough syrup like dryness on the swallow.

M: Some carbonation, but quite mundane, light medium body, light syrupy with a warming of watermelon cough medicine.

O: Overall a novelty beer, i prefered 21st admendments take over this. Not something i would drink in multiples, as im guessing this is what it should of strived for, a crisp, lightly fruity like experience, but comes off artificial and rather candy like (jolly rancher). Not something i would find refreshing nor crisp even on a hot summer day, gimmicky. It is what it is, but like mentioned earlier, 21st amendment did a somewhat more respectable job if you must partake in the novelty aspect.

3.39/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A big shout out to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with watermelon, jolly ranchers come to mind. Taste is mild compared to the smell. Some watermelon, a bit of wheat, light and subdued. Feels light in the mouth and overall a refreshing beer, but not something I would want a steady diet of.

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

2.7/5  rDev -11.8%

Sampled on May 16, 2010. The pour was a pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head and limited lacing. The aroma of watermelon is noticeable as soon as the pour is complete and overpowering above everything else. A little light maltiness in there as well but it is really the watermelon scent that is going on. The mouthfeel is of average texture but also kind of creamy. Watermelon takes over the taste with a very thin and slightly dry hoppiness at the end. This is probably refreshing on a hot day but since I am not a big watermelon fan in the first place it is hard for me to reap praise on this one.

2.88/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked up on a whim at Julio's to complete a "mix a six" pack, wish I hadn't.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear yellow pour with a fizzy half a finger head that rapidly faded to leave light white swirls.

S - Watermelon jolly rancher.

T - Sweet, fake watermelon jollyrancher flavour followed by some wheat and typical ale notes. Way too fake and too sweet.

M - Starts off with nice, high carbonation but quickly becomes lackluster and thin.

O - Just an average "watermelon" beer. I keep trying these hoping to find one I'll enjoy but nothing has really brought watermelon strong. Always the fake aroma and taste.

3.18/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz. bottle served in a standard pint glass. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch, off-white cap that revealed tiny ringlets as it dissipated. First impression of the nose is a watermelon jollyrancher. Taste was much more muted in the mouth and less sweet than suggested by the aroma out of the bottle; however, I feel like there's some artificial sweetener coming out somewhere in the mix. Mouthfeel is light and lively. This brew goes down easy, but the residual aftertaste kills it for me.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company