Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.

(Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008)
berkey

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz bottle received as an extra with a note attached warning me it was a "polarizing" beer. It's warm out today and the only other beers in the fridge are high abv so I figured I'd give it a shot. Poured into a tulip 06/06/10.

Pretty clean blonde body with a large but poorly retained fluffy white head.

Watermelon aroma is huge. The second I dismissed the cap a wave of watermelon leapt up at me so aggressively I can feel it in the back of my mouth. Reminded me of watermelon Jolly Rancher candies.

Not quite as much watermelon on the palate as there was on the nose but it's still pretty prominent and keeps me from dialing in on the beers other characteristics. I find myself not breathing through my nose to take the edge off.

Carbonation looked very active when I first poured but it calmed down quickly. After a few sips I've adjusted to the fruit candy character and I'm having an easier time getting through it but not necessarily enjoying it. Interesting idea but I wouldn't drink it again.

06-07-2010 22:07:31 | More by berkey
Pabs311

3.85/5  rDev +25%

A- pours a hazy, copper-pink color with a think white head, settling quickly to leave minimal lacing. lack of head and lacing is probably due to watermelon added.

S- smells like a watermelon jolly rancher as mentioned before. on the sweet side for the aroma and nothing more than watermelon to it.

T- Tastes much better than smells. light malt grains up front and then the watermelon comes in mid-way through and up into the finish. not a heavy watermelon flavor as in years past. much more pleasing and less sweet due to the natural watermelon.

M/D- high carbonation, light-medium bodied. surprisingly drinkable. mast fruit beers like this are blasted with fake fruit flavor so heavy ud think ur drinking juice or a wine cooler. good summer beer for a switch from the regular stuff.

06-02-2010 18:47:51 | More by Pabs311
dag06001

4.05/5  rDev +31.5%

This beer is really good if you want to mix up what you have in your fridge. It smells like a watermelon jolly rancher and its hard to pair with food. Its not like other girly flavored beers however and it actually is very drinkable. I'd recommend everyone try this at least once.

06-01-2010 02:33:25 | More by dag06001
Drew966

Thomas Hooker More Than a Mouthfull Watermelon Ale pours an orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a definite watermelon aroma, almost jolly rancher like and absolutely no normal beer like smells. The watermelon flavor is a little more subdued than the aroma, but is still fairly strong. Ale was used as the base (most fruit beers seem to have a wheat base) Not too bad, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one.

05-18-2010 22:49:27 | More by Drew966
Naugled

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

Saw the bottle and had to try it.

Smells exactly like Jolly Rancher watermelon flavor.

Has a pinkish orange hazy color, high carbonation and little head.

Very light body and watery (fitting). And also tastes just like the Jolly Rancher candy, but is not cloying. It is actually somewhat refreshing. There is a hint of hop and malt but not enough to recognize it as beer.

Over all, it would not be a bad lawn mower beer.

05-18-2010 20:52:27 | More by Naugled
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Sampled on May 16, 2010. The pour was a pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head and limited lacing. The aroma of watermelon is noticeable as soon as the pour is complete and overpowering above everything else. A little light maltiness in there as well but it is really the watermelon scent that is going on. The mouthfeel is of average texture but also kind of creamy. Watermelon takes over the taste with a very thin and slightly dry hoppiness at the end. This is probably refreshing on a hot day but since I am not a big watermelon fan in the first place it is hard for me to reap praise on this one.

05-17-2010 01:33:07 | More by puboflyons
u2carew

3.08/5  rDev 0%

12oz long neck. Consumed 12/21/09 (forgot I had this in the basement since summer...)

A) Pours with a wispy, one finger head. Settles quickly to big bubble lacing. Visible sediment. Upward carbonation. Copper with pink hues.
S) Watermelon - like Jolly Ranchers. That's it.
T) Watermelon and some caramel malt up front. Then the malts drop out and watermelon greets nutty grain. Finishes grainy with hop notes. Subtle watermelon and hops in the aftertaste.
M) Crisp. Fizzy. Light body. Dry.
D) A refreshing beer for the summertime.

12-30-2009 22:08:25 | More by u2carew
LilBeerDoctor

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Reviewed on 09/09/2009. Bottle. Pours a light pink/orange with a small white head. Aroma is incredibly fruity and sugary. It actually reminds me of a strawberry Starburst, although I suppose there are some watermelon notes too. Very aromatic; you can smell this thing from a mile away. Flavor of the same strawberry/watermelon Starburst with a touch of wheat notes in the finish, although it is primarily a sugar/fruit bomb. This is not very beer-like although I can't say I didn't enjoy it. However, it does become harder to drink as you attempt plow through it. Interesting, that's about all I can say.

12-19-2009 01:59:42 | More by LilBeerDoctor
donniecuffs

2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

(from notes taken at a bar in CT in Sept)

Playboy names this on the Top 10 Beers of Summer list? Are you kidding?

I really went into this experience wanting to be wowwed, but, well, you be the judge. It poured a very carbonated yellowish pink (almost unnatural for a beer), and smelled of watermelon jolly ranchers. Obviously not a surprise on the latter, but I was hoping that the texture and other inherent flavors would lead to a nicely quenching summer beer. The artificial (per the label on the bottle) watermelon flavor was not as strong in the taste as it was in the nose, and ended on a bitter note...not hoppy bitter, just bad bitter. It also left a bad aftertaste, which made me continue to sip, just to wash out my mouth. The body was extremely thin and carbonated, more than likely in an attempt to attract the lawnmower crowd, but nothing that felt right with the flavor. I could see that some might enjoy sessioning this beer, as the feel certainly allows it, but the flavor (or lack thereof) was just too much for me..and not in a good way.

12-15-2009 04:20:54 | More by donniecuffs
nick76

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

The aroma has both malt and watermelon candy. The appearance is hazy light amber with an average sized head. The flavor is like the aroma with both good and bad elements. The palate is smooth. Overall I want to like it because the watermelon is "strangely refreshing" but it's also artificial and not a lot like beer. If you want something different this is it.

11-04-2009 01:12:36 | More by nick76
MikeBrandman

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%

A - Looks pretty pleasing. Has a nice straw yellow hue with traces of a mysterious red. Impressive head with a good amount of lacing. Medium sized beads of carbonation bubbling up constantly.

S - Smells like a Jolly Rancher. That's it. When you're about to take a sip you might smell something remotely beer like, but it's a stretch.

T - Tastes like cardboard dipped in watermelon chemicals. Really appalling. At least it ends rather quickly. I would say more but I'm trying to avoid drinking much more of this.

MF - Doesn't feel too bad. The carbonation adds a nice spritzer like feel to it.

D - I'm glad I only got one from a friend. I'll leave it at that.

Overall it seems like a Smirnoff Ice poured into a Keystone and left in the sun.

10-28-2009 03:53:54 | More by MikeBrandman
DNICE555

1.78/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured from a 12 oz into a pint glass

A - Light orange, very hazy, Looks like it's got some body to it.

S - Smells very sweet. An artificial sweet, like 70 watermelon jolly ranchers were liquified into my pint glass.

T - I will admit, the first sip, ok. After that the sweetness built up on my palate it was just unbearable. When I'm in the mood for a beer, I don't want candy. I feel like I'm going to get diabetes after the first three sips.

M - Thing, light, way too sweet.

D - I could only take 4 sips.

10-18-2009 22:25:14 | More by DNICE555
necoadam

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured out an amber/copper color with a thin head.

Smell was mostly watermelons with a light hint of grain. A lot on the sweet side.

So with that aroma, I was preparing for a sticky sweet beer, but luckily it wasn't. In fact, the taste was very faint. A touch of watermelon with some grain notes.

Mouthfeel was light with a good dose of carbonation.

It's a summer beer and I'm sure that's what they got out of this beer with a market that they're trying to target, but it didn't do it for me. I just hope that they'll be more creative in the future.

09-23-2009 15:10:50 | More by necoadam
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light pinkish gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of watermelons, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with strong and sweet watermelon flavor that is followed by light but bready malts. The hops presence is very mild and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty if you like the watermelon flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, I'm not usually a big fan of most fruit-infused beer but there are several others out there that are better than this one.

09-17-2009 01:21:12 | More by TheManiacalOne
connecticutpoet

3.68/5  rDev +19.5%

This beer produced a very thin layer of head when poured into my pint glass, which promptly subsided to a thin ring but nothing more. Color was yellow, and although it was clear, there were lots of miniscule floaters.

Aroma was of watermelon, watermelon, and watermelon. Then some strawberries and apples. And did I mention watermelon?

Taste was of lighter malts upfront, followed by a bit of graininess. Some fruitiness came in with the inhale, but none was present in the taste until after the swallow, when a hint of watermelon came in.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, good body for a blonde ale with appropriate carbonation.

Good marks for drinkability. The label says "strangely refreshing", and they're right. This would make a good one-time session beer, but then the novelty might wear off.

08-31-2009 23:53:17 | More by connecticutpoet
smcolw

2.13/5  rDev -30.8%

Okay, even before I smell or taste this one, I am dubious. Open mind, I remind myself.

The beer looks nice. Good head, decent lace. Golden-amber color, cloudy.

Think Sweettart when smelling this beer. Quite candy-like--it also reminds me of the taste of children's aspirin. If I were blindfolded, I would never guess that this a beer.

The taste is an improvement from the smell. Still, it is closer to soda than a beer. The body is appropriate.

First thought, I'd place this beer in the Fruit category. Secondly, I cannot detect any watermelon. A clear miss in many ways.

08-30-2009 21:05:39 | More by smcolw
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz. bottle served in a standard pint glass. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch, off-white cap that revealed tiny ringlets as it dissipated. First impression of the nose is a watermelon jollyrancher. Taste was much more muted in the mouth and less sweet than suggested by the aroma out of the bottle; however, I feel like there's some artificial sweetener coming out somewhere in the mix. Mouthfeel is light and lively. This brew goes down easy, but the residual aftertaste kills it for me.

08-24-2009 01:01:35 | More by Jwale73
mountdew1

New Hampshire

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Color was a bid reddish brown, with next to no head. Aroma was extremely strong, I could smell watermelon the second I opened the cap. Reminded me of a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Taste was slightly maltly, with a small hint of watermelon mixed in. Nothing special. Felt ok in the mouth. A smidgen thin, but still tingled the tongue. Ok to drink, but not what I would rush to for a thirst quencher. More of a oddball once in a great while.

08-17-2009 22:28:41 | More by mountdew1
unclejimbay

3.8/5  rDev +23.4%

Thomas Hooker More Than A Mouthful Watermelon Ale
Thomas Hooker Ales & Lagers
Style: American Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.50 %

Unique fruit Ale for the novelty and fruit beer lovers. Sessionable @ 4.5%. I give the drinkability a 4.0. Great beer for summer novelty or sweet tooth "beer" fans. This is more of a fruit beer than a blond.

Appearance 3.0, Pink blush rose' in color, small head gone instantly.
S 4.0 - Watermelon sweet fruityness. Fruit stand meets candy shop aromas.
T 4.0 - Tastes as it smells, fruit dominant, hidden malts, very fruity melon jolly rancher type flavor.
MF 2.5 - thin light body. super high carbo.

07-31-2009 20:36:00 | More by unclejimbay
ProfessorHomer

A novelty summertime ale with a big watermelon smell and aftertaste. Good sessionable conversation piece.

A = garnet colored ale with thinish pinkish head.

S = BIG watermelon smell.

T = a relatively mild ale with a big watermelon note especially at the beginning and end. Taste is more accurate than watermelon bubblegum but slighlty less that the real thing.

M = average. Like a too mild inoffensive ale.

D = The novelty of this beer was evidenced by the fact it was passed around and sampled by just about everyone. The watermelon smell and taste were evident to all. Several thought well enough to drink several, including me. A decent summer session beer, especially on a hot & humid day.

Like the bottle says: "Strangely Refreshing", especially to novice beer drinkers, the trendy Corona crowd and those looking for something different beyond the Blue Moon family of weakened wheat beers. As my brother in law Dennis The Menace said: "In the past I have eaten watermelon and drank beer at the same time - this is exactly like that". Enough said.

07-21-2009 00:13:31 | More by ProfessorHomer
tigg924

3.68/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance: clear, pink straw , 1 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: watermelon jolly rancher, a bit of wheat

Taste: toned down watermelon jolly rancher

Mouthfeel: drinks like a watermelon would eat--big sweet start that mellow down as you approach the white rind portion, can feel the carbonation, medium-light bodied

Drinkability: Not sure if I am a fan of watermelon ales, but this one certainly hits the mark. It is good for the watermelon fruit style. A bit sweet for me, I think I could have one maybe two max.

07-10-2009 13:18:12 | More by tigg924
ClockworkOrange

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%

I should have heeded goodbyeohio's warning. I'll listen next time Jim. A 12 ounce bottle purchased at Abe's. Poured into my nonic pint glass. The ale appears a clear copper color with a thin layer of off white head. Smells and tastes like artificially flavored watermelon hard candies (jolly ranchers, which I fucking loathe), watermelon blow pops, some sort of lightly toasted grain. Oily, thin watery body with light carbonation. After swallowing, the flavor vanishes. Don't waste your time or calories on this abomination.

07-04-2009 04:30:16 | More by ClockworkOrange
NJpadreFan

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Thomas Hooker- Watermelon Ale

A- Light copper brown with a small but solid head. Ringed lacing along the top of the pint glass.
S- Light sweet watermelon with carmelized grain malt.
T- Light sweet grainy malt with hints of watermelon and grassy hops.
M- Sweet and malty. Sugary with an earthy grassy hop finish.

Overall- Definitely crisp and refreshing in a hot packed bar. Nice maltiness, for a watermelon ale it had some backbone.

07-01-2009 22:41:05 | More by NJpadreFan
packetknife

Idaho

3.08/5  rDev 0%

OK, so this isn't quite what I set out to buy this past week but it ended up in my locker anyway. Very light golden-copper hue with a huge frothy head that faded before I noticed. Best characteristic is the nose and since I'm a southern fatboy with watermelon on the brain it's quite the treat. I'd give it a five except it was a bit too sweet smelling for my taste. Compared to the nose the taste was weak with some grass and hops but generally underwhelming (and not sweet at all). Fair carbonation and a fair summer drink I guess. Perhaps a good party favor but nothing I'd regularly revisit.

06-26-2009 15:49:06 | More by packetknife
weeare138

3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
Appears a transparent light orange with a small white head that fizzles out into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of Watermelon Jolly Rancher candy...literally, the first thing that popped in my head.
Taste is of the obvious watermelon, along with a touch of nutty grain and bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, easy going down, and lip smacking.

06-17-2009 14:37:12 | More by weeare138