Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.
4.45/5  rDev +41.3%

12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager Glass.

A- Beer

S- Watermelon

T- Watermelon beer

MF- Beer

D- Served ice cold on a hot summer day, great. One or two is probably enough. Lives up to the boast on the label, "Strangely refreshing." Unpalatable if not cold.

3.45/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with a Bottled On Date of 2011-05-03. Had to give it a try. Pours a translucent straw color with almost no head. Smells like a watermelon blow pop. Very sugary sweet candy watermelon aroma. The flavor is as huge as the aroma made me think it would be. Certainly has a lot of that watermelon flavor but I thought it would be more. Maybe can taste some malts and grains but it mostly is like an adjunct lager with a sweet candy watermelon flavor to it. It's a weird beer and I couldn't drink it often, but it's not bad at all. Crisp, smooth and easy to drink even with the fruity taste. Overall, I have no issue with having this once in a blue moon(no pun intended).

3.74/5  rDev +18.7%

Not sure how a beer can be compared to a ridiculously electric-colored soda, but this is definitely worth stocking for a barbeque with friends. Not overpowering, and not sickeningly sweet like the name may imply. It's perfect for ribs or anything off the grill, really. Hooker has noted the past two years that this uses natural flavor, and no longer artificial. Before it kind of had the aftertaste of a watermelon Laffy Taffy. If you see it, grab it. Definitely perfect for the summertime.

2.93/5  rDev -7%

Pours a hazy greenish yellow with yellow highlights. It actually looks a lot like Mountain Dew. Has a thin white head that dissipates immediately, leaving a thin ring that holds throughout and has surprisingly good lacing.

Smells really sweet, and the aroma of watermelon is overwhelming. It smells a lot like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. There are some hints of yeast and floral hops in there, but not much.

Not nearly as sweet or watermelon-flavored as the aroma would indicate. Watermelon is present, but there are also notes of wheat and floral hops. Not terribly complex, but better than expected.

Light in body and carbonation level. Smooth, crisp, and refreshing - exactly what you'd expect from a blonde ale.

A little strange, but an OK brew in it's own right. Not something worth going out of your way for, but the perfect way to add a little variety when you're looking for something you can suck down a few of on a hot afternoon,

2.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked up on a whim at Julio's to complete a "mix a six" pack, wish I hadn't.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear yellow pour with a fizzy half a finger head that rapidly faded to leave light white swirls.

S - Watermelon jolly rancher.

T - Sweet, fake watermelon jollyrancher flavour followed by some wheat and typical ale notes. Way too fake and too sweet.

M - Starts off with nice, high carbonation but quickly becomes lackluster and thin.

O - Just an average "watermelon" beer. I keep trying these hoping to find one I'll enjoy but nothing has really brought watermelon strong. Always the fake aroma and taste.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Picked this up in Totowa via the single bottle because things are finally starting to warm up outside. I didn't expect much from this beer and after downing the contents of my pint glass relatively quickly, it's easy to see why I shouldn't have had high hopes for this. While this isn't bad at all, this is about as textbook as a "watermelon beer" can be.

Nothing memorable to the pour of this at all - looked like a typical Blonde Ale with just a hint of wheat in the hue and a moderate head that didn't last all that long. There was a bit of lacing as well and the smell was that of watermelon a bit of warm commercially produced cheese-like funk. There was the sweetness of bubble gum and cotton candy in the taste with watermelon on top of that. The latter note continued in the aftertaste but there wasn't hardly any wheat or other plant notes to be felt with the exception of a hint of straw. The malt was so unassuming that I couldn't feel it at all as to be expected, hops are absent here as well

I only had one bottle but if it was warm out, I could have had a few more. This almost feels like soda because of the lightness of the body and the subtle carbonation that can be felt. Session beers don't get more easygoing than this and even though this wasn't bad, it's unlikely that I'll be reaching for this again. It was worth a try once but there are much better and more full-bodied offerings that can be enjoyed during this time of the year.

3.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a bottle of this one into a pint glass, it was a pale yellow color. Very clear looking body with a soapy white head. The aroma was pretty nice actually the watermelon was subtle enough that you could still pick up some of the malts in the brew. The flavor of this beer is good at first when it's right out of the fridge and still cold. The watermelon isn't overly sweet at that point and is kind of refreshing. As the beer warms up though it starts to get a little funky, This kind of turned me off from this brew. The mouthfeel was super light and highly drinkable for summer time. Just drink it fast.

3.59/5  rDev +14%

A: This was my third time drinking this and I'd yet to actually get a good idea about what it looks like until now. The brown bottle gives it a darker yellow hue so I was definitely surprised to find it has a pale yellow color, not too unlike a belgian white.

S: The smell is what first attracted me, as a fairly young and new beer drinker, the reminiscent scent of watermelon candies was a pleasant one. The only drawback is that after the second and third time trying this beer, the smell of Jolly Rancher's isn't as novel as it was the first time, it gets a little tiring.

T: In contrast to the strong smell, the watermelon taste is light and leaves a faint but not overwhelming aftertaste of sweet and sour. Unlike some of the more fruity or commonly "girly" drinks, there's a good balance between the fruit and the average ale taste. The taste seems to get sweeter towards the middle of the bottle making for an overall pleasant drinking experience.

M: The carbonation initially comes on strong and then fades almost instantly. If it weren't for the alcohol content I might confuse it for a weak flavored watermelon soda. It has almost all of the trademarks of the average summer beer that I can see enjoying on a hot day. Still, nothing too remarkable about it, it's a little above average.

D: Refreshing and light. Unlike some beers I've had in the past I actually feel like I've had my thirst quenched. Definitely a slow drinking experience though due to the taste and carbonation making it impossible to chug it down comfortably. I think for the price ($8 for 6 pck.) it's worth trying. Definitely not my favorite beer I've had, but on a hot summer day I can see stocking up on this for a summer BBQ or just a relaxing night in front of the TV.

3.3/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is decent. I has a light pale malt scent along with a wonderfully fruity watermelon aroma. Yes, it's weak and watery, but the watermelon aroma is pretty damn refreshing. The taste, however is quite weak an devoid of character. It has a light pale malt taste along with a dry, artificial watermelon flavor. It goes down quick and easy with a thin, watery finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is your basic commercial fruit beer. It's nothing to get excited about, but it's enjoyable on a hot day.

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Tully's in Maine on the back up from York. I know Tully's has some nice beers there but just wanted something really different.

This beer delivers as being different. I swear I said Jolly Rancher once I smelled and tasted it, this is before I read the other reviews.

This is a sweet watermelon forward brew they are not kidding when they say more than a mouthful.

I liked it. It isn't the beer you need to hunt down or trade for but it is nice and if you are looking for something different give this one a try its really nice.

3.8/5  rDev +20.6%

A- Hazy dull gold with a fluffy billowy head.
S- When you first pop the cap the Jolly Rancher watermelon smell is extremely strong. It mellows as its poured.
T- It's different. The ale taste and the melon taste are both apparent. It is refreshing.
MD- I guess I'm in the minority on this one. It has a dry champagne like feel. I think this is an above average summertime quencher, and a great picnic beer.

3.69/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm down for a good fruit beer every now and again, but nothing could have prepared me for this experience (maybe a little too over the top). It says a "hint" of watermelon, more like a smack in the face of watermelon. That added with the intense carbonation it's almost like drinking a soda. Quite the drinking experience.

2.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Had this one the other night. Pours a yellow golden pale color with a thin white head that vanishes quickly. I stuck my nose in this and thought it smelled like watermelon Jolly Ranchers. I enjoyed smelling it, but it just smelled like candy. I couldn't find any trace of beer aromas. The taste was much more mild than the smell. I could still primarily taste the watermelon but it was much more faint than what the aroma led me to believe it would be. I can taste some grains, but I don't know if it's my subconscious knowledge of knowing that it is an ingredient in beer trying to convince myself this is Kool-Aid. The mouth feel is good, light body with nothing really offensive. The flavor is what it is supposed to be I suppose and it is refreshing so this is any easy one to kick back.
Not a bad effort overall, but I think the watermelon beer is more of a novelty than anything. This just hardly reminds me of beer, even though I had to show my ID to get it.

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

40F in a pilsner glass

A- light copper with a fast dissipating head

S- faint watermelon aroma

T- mild flavor, very nondescript

M - just short of watery

D- this is nothing special. Not much flavor, very little aroma, and watery. Not worth paying for.

1.52/5  rDev -51.7%

Heading out on the boat my wife brings home a few six packs to take out. Unfortunately Hooker Watermelon was one of them. I used to brew quit a bit and have made both Ale and lager watermelon beers that people loved. A very light after taste of melon not an over powering tidal wave on the taste buds like this beer. Pop off the top and the strong artificial smell of jolly ranchers hits you hard. I actually like that smell and the jolly ranchers so this doesn't stop me from drinking it. It looks okay and pours nice. Mouth feel isn't bad. The taste comes at you same as the smell. A very over powering artificial watermelon. Really wanted to like this beer but all 5 of us all felt one was enough. Actually I don't think anyone but my son home from collage finished. Sorry but I do not recommend spending your last dollars on this brew unless you like a beer that taste like candy.

3.51/5  rDev +11.4%

Was eager to try this since I've been to the brewery in the fall.

Pours nice enough, with ample carbonation. Very strong smell of watermelon. Reminds me of a Jolly Rancher candy.

The taste is kinda bland. Honestly the Hooker Blond Ale is superior to this. Not bad, but you don't taste watermelon and the flavor of hops is muted somewhat.

It is a decent beer to drink in the summer, but not worth the extra effort to find.

4.16/5  rDev +32.1%

Immediately smelling like a watermelon candy, I was surprised that the malts were strongest, not the fruit. I am not at all a hop-head, so to have a lighter beer with light hopping was a surprise.

I took a growler to a party; nobody was a conneseur, just basic folks. The beer was well enjoyed all around.

I found this to be an easy, drinkable beer of a basic uncomplicated simplicity. This is not a knock-your-socks-off beer, but an interesting and pleasant alternative

2.52/5  rDev -20%

A - A lighter yellow. Am I high, or are there tiny green hues at the thin parts of the glass? Also, a thin head.

S - I popped the cap, and way before I was about to pour it, the smell jumped up my nose. I was really caught off guard. Upon further investigation, I have to admit, despite being impressed by it's strength, it doesn't really remind me of beer at all. It reminds me of candy, and kind of insincere.

T - O no. No no. I'm drinking this after an awesome Stone brewery beer. This... No thanks. Is it beer? You know, I think they might have traded the grains with watermelon. My advice to Hooker brewing, scrap this thing, the novelty is going to wear off soon enough for anyone who really enjoys beer. O god, I just burped, it's like I just burped Captain Crunch.

M - Very fizzy, approaching a flattish champagne. It's a bit too sharp I think, and it fades out pretty quick too.

D - Eww. It's like someone poisoned my lovely Hooker beer with synthetic high-fructose pharma-flavoring.

2.56/5  rDev -18.7%

12 oz bottle received as an extra with a note attached warning me it was a "polarizing" beer. It's warm out today and the only other beers in the fridge are high abv so I figured I'd give it a shot. Poured into a tulip 06/06/10.

Pretty clean blonde body with a large but poorly retained fluffy white head.

Watermelon aroma is huge. The second I dismissed the cap a wave of watermelon leapt up at me so aggressively I can feel it in the back of my mouth. Reminded me of watermelon Jolly Rancher candies.

Not quite as much watermelon on the palate as there was on the nose but it's still pretty prominent and keeps me from dialing in on the beers other characteristics. I find myself not breathing through my nose to take the edge off.

Carbonation looked very active when I first poured but it calmed down quickly. After a few sips I've adjusted to the fruit candy character and I'm having an easier time getting through it but not necessarily enjoying it. Interesting idea but I wouldn't drink it again.

3.82/5  rDev +21.3%

A- pours a hazy, copper-pink color with a think white head, settling quickly to leave minimal lacing. lack of head and lacing is probably due to watermelon added.

S- smells like a watermelon jolly rancher as mentioned before. on the sweet side for the aroma and nothing more than watermelon to it.

T- Tastes much better than smells. light malt grains up front and then the watermelon comes in mid-way through and up into the finish. not a heavy watermelon flavor as in years past. much more pleasing and less sweet due to the natural watermelon.

M/D- high carbonation, light-medium bodied. surprisingly drinkable. mast fruit beers like this are blasted with fake fruit flavor so heavy ud think ur drinking juice or a wine cooler. good summer beer for a switch from the regular stuff.

4.06/5  rDev +28.9%

This beer is really good if you want to mix up what you have in your fridge. It smells like a watermelon jolly rancher and its hard to pair with food. Its not like other girly flavored beers however and it actually is very drinkable. I'd recommend everyone try this at least once.

Thomas Hooker More Than a Mouthfull Watermelon Ale pours an orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a definite watermelon aroma, almost jolly rancher like and absolutely no normal beer like smells. The watermelon flavor is a little more subdued than the aroma, but is still fairly strong. Ale was used as the base (most fruit beers seem to have a wheat base) Not too bad, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one.

3.3/5  rDev +4.8%

Saw the bottle and had to try it.

Smells exactly like Jolly Rancher watermelon flavor.

Has a pinkish orange hazy color, high carbonation and little head.

Very light body and watery (fitting). And also tastes just like the Jolly Rancher candy, but is not cloying. It is actually somewhat refreshing. There is a hint of hop and malt but not enough to recognize it as beer.

Over all, it would not be a bad lawn mower beer.

2.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Sampled on May 16, 2010. The pour was a pale yellow with a thin fizzy white head and limited lacing. The aroma of watermelon is noticeable as soon as the pour is complete and overpowering above everything else. A little light maltiness in there as well but it is really the watermelon scent that is going on. The mouthfeel is of average texture but also kind of creamy. Watermelon takes over the taste with a very thin and slightly dry hoppiness at the end. This is probably refreshing on a hot day but since I am not a big watermelon fan in the first place it is hard for me to reap praise on this one.

3.08/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz long neck. Consumed 12/21/09 (forgot I had this in the basement since summer...)

A) Pours with a wispy, one finger head. Settles quickly to big bubble lacing. Visible sediment. Upward carbonation. Copper with pink hues.
S) Watermelon - like Jolly Ranchers. That's it.
T) Watermelon and some caramel malt up front. Then the malts drop out and watermelon greets nutty grain. Finishes grainy with hop notes. Subtle watermelon and hops in the aftertaste.
M) Crisp. Fizzy. Light body. Dry.
D) A refreshing beer for the summertime.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company