Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.
Ratings: 204 | Reviews: 78
3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

The aroma has both malt and watermelon candy. The appearance is hazy light amber with an average sized head. The flavor is like the aroma with both good and bad elements. The palate is smooth. Overall I want to like it because the watermelon is "strangely refreshing" but it's also artificial and not a lot like beer. If you want something different this is it.

2.59/5  rDev -15.9%

A - Looks pretty pleasing. Has a nice straw yellow hue with traces of a mysterious red. Impressive head with a good amount of lacing. Medium sized beads of carbonation bubbling up constantly.

S - Smells like a Jolly Rancher. That's it. When you're about to take a sip you might smell something remotely beer like, but it's a stretch.

T - Tastes like cardboard dipped in watermelon chemicals. Really appalling. At least it ends rather quickly. I would say more but I'm trying to avoid drinking much more of this.

MF - Doesn't feel too bad. The carbonation adds a nice spritzer like feel to it.

D - I'm glad I only got one from a friend. I'll leave it at that.

Overall it seems like a Smirnoff Ice poured into a Keystone and left in the sun.

1.82/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured from a 12 oz into a pint glass

A - Light orange, very hazy, Looks like it's got some body to it.

S - Smells very sweet. An artificial sweet, like 70 watermelon jolly ranchers were liquified into my pint glass.

T - I will admit, the first sip, ok. After that the sweetness built up on my palate it was just unbearable. When I'm in the mood for a beer, I don't want candy. I feel like I'm going to get diabetes after the first three sips.

M - Thing, light, way too sweet.

D - I could only take 4 sips.

2.76/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured out an amber/copper color with a thin head.

Smell was mostly watermelons with a light hint of grain. A lot on the sweet side.

So with that aroma, I was preparing for a sticky sweet beer, but luckily it wasn't. In fact, the taste was very faint. A touch of watermelon with some grain notes.

Mouthfeel was light with a good dose of carbonation.

It's a summer beer and I'm sure that's what they got out of this beer with a market that they're trying to target, but it didn't do it for me. I just hope that they'll be more creative in the future.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light pinkish gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of watermelons, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with strong and sweet watermelon flavor that is followed by light but bready malts. The hops presence is very mild and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty if you like the watermelon flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, I'm not usually a big fan of most fruit-infused beer but there are several others out there that are better than this one.

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer produced a very thin layer of head when poured into my pint glass, which promptly subsided to a thin ring but nothing more. Color was yellow, and although it was clear, there were lots of miniscule floaters.

Aroma was of watermelon, watermelon, and watermelon. Then some strawberries and apples. And did I mention watermelon?

Taste was of lighter malts upfront, followed by a bit of graininess. Some fruitiness came in with the inhale, but none was present in the taste until after the swallow, when a hint of watermelon came in.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, good body for a blonde ale with appropriate carbonation.

Good marks for drinkability. The label says "strangely refreshing", and they're right. This would make a good one-time session beer, but then the novelty might wear off.

2.12/5  rDev -31.2%

Okay, even before I smell or taste this one, I am dubious. Open mind, I remind myself.

The beer looks nice. Good head, decent lace. Golden-amber color, cloudy.

Think Sweettart when smelling this beer. Quite candy-like--it also reminds me of the taste of children's aspirin. If I were blindfolded, I would never guess that this a beer.

The taste is an improvement from the smell. Still, it is closer to soda than a beer. The body is appropriate.

First thought, I'd place this beer in the Fruit category. Secondly, I cannot detect any watermelon. A clear miss in many ways.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz. bottle served in a standard pint glass. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch, off-white cap that revealed tiny ringlets as it dissipated. First impression of the nose is a watermelon jollyrancher. Taste was much more muted in the mouth and less sweet than suggested by the aroma out of the bottle; however, I feel like there's some artificial sweetener coming out somewhere in the mix. Mouthfeel is light and lively. This brew goes down easy, but the residual aftertaste kills it for me.

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Color was a bid reddish brown, with next to no head. Aroma was extremely strong, I could smell watermelon the second I opened the cap. Reminded me of a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Taste was slightly maltly, with a small hint of watermelon mixed in. Nothing special. Felt ok in the mouth. A smidgen thin, but still tingled the tongue. Ok to drink, but not what I would rush to for a thirst quencher. More of a oddball once in a great while.

3.79/5  rDev +23.1%

Thomas Hooker More Than A Mouthful Watermelon Ale
Thomas Hooker Ales & Lagers
Style: American Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.50 %

Unique fruit Ale for the novelty and fruit beer lovers. Sessionable @ 4.5%. I give the drinkability a 4.0. Great beer for summer novelty or sweet tooth "beer" fans. This is more of a fruit beer than a blond.

Appearance 3.0, Pink blush rose' in color, small head gone instantly.
S 4.0 - Watermelon sweet fruityness. Fruit stand meets candy shop aromas.
T 4.0 - Tastes as it smells, fruit dominant, hidden malts, very fruity melon jolly rancher type flavor.
MF 2.5 - thin light body. super high carbo.

A novelty summertime ale with a big watermelon smell and aftertaste. Good sessionable conversation piece.

A = garnet colored ale with thinish pinkish head.

S = BIG watermelon smell.

T = a relatively mild ale with a big watermelon note especially at the beginning and end. Taste is more accurate than watermelon bubblegum but slighlty less that the real thing.

M = average. Like a too mild inoffensive ale.

D = The novelty of this beer was evidenced by the fact it was passed around and sampled by just about everyone. The watermelon smell and taste were evident to all. Several thought well enough to drink several, including me. A decent summer session beer, especially on a hot & humid day.

Like the bottle says: "Strangely Refreshing", especially to novice beer drinkers, the trendy Corona crowd and those looking for something different beyond the Blue Moon family of weakened wheat beers. As my brother in law Dennis The Menace said: "In the past I have eaten watermelon and drank beer at the same time - this is exactly like that". Enough said.

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: clear, pink straw , 1 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: watermelon jolly rancher, a bit of wheat

Taste: toned down watermelon jolly rancher

Mouthfeel: drinks like a watermelon would eat--big sweet start that mellow down as you approach the white rind portion, can feel the carbonation, medium-light bodied

Drinkability: Not sure if I am a fan of watermelon ales, but this one certainly hits the mark. It is good for the watermelon fruit style. A bit sweet for me, I think I could have one maybe two max.

2.47/5  rDev -19.8%

I should have heeded goodbyeohio's warning. I'll listen next time Jim. A 12 ounce bottle purchased at Abe's. Poured into my nonic pint glass. The ale appears a clear copper color with a thin layer of off white head. Smells and tastes like artificially flavored watermelon hard candies (jolly ranchers, which I fucking loathe), watermelon blow pops, some sort of lightly toasted grain. Oily, thin watery body with light carbonation. After swallowing, the flavor vanishes. Don't waste your time or calories on this abomination.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Thomas Hooker- Watermelon Ale

A- Light copper brown with a small but solid head. Ringed lacing along the top of the pint glass.
S- Light sweet watermelon with carmelized grain malt.
T- Light sweet grainy malt with hints of watermelon and grassy hops.
M- Sweet and malty. Sugary with an earthy grassy hop finish.

Overall- Definitely crisp and refreshing in a hot packed bar. Nice maltiness, for a watermelon ale it had some backbone.

3.16/5  rDev +2.6%

OK, so this isn't quite what I set out to buy this past week but it ended up in my locker anyway. Very light golden-copper hue with a huge frothy head that faded before I noticed. Best characteristic is the nose and since I'm a southern fatboy with watermelon on the brain it's quite the treat. I'd give it a five except it was a bit too sweet smelling for my taste. Compared to the nose the taste was weak with some grass and hops but generally underwhelming (and not sweet at all). Fair carbonation and a fair summer drink I guess. Perhaps a good party favor but nothing I'd regularly revisit.

3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
Appears a transparent light orange with a small white head that fizzles out into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of Watermelon Jolly Rancher candy...literally, the first thing that popped in my head.
Taste is of the obvious watermelon, along with a touch of nutty grain and bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, easy going down, and lip smacking.

3.43/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a transparent orange/bright red color with a 1/2" white head. Not much retention or lace. Ample carbonation streams to the surface of the beer.

Smell: Sharp, tart, sweet watermelon aroma is similar to a Jolly Rancher. A sweet underlying pale malt lies beneath as well. It's mouthwatering.

Taste: Sweet watermelon that tastes like the aforementioned Jolly Rancher. A nice malt flavor is sweet and goes well with the watermelon. Not a complex beer, but certainly a niche beer.

Mouthfeel: Tart, sweet, coating and medium bodied. Pretty darn effervescent and smooth drinking.

Drinkability: A good niche beer that would satisfy any sweet tooth or fruity beer craving. Why didn't they use real watermelon juice? Not too shabby.

3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

First off... props to Hooker for putting a nice, unique beer on the market. Second, this is in no way a blonde ale, not sure how it got that classification. Moving on.. it pours a salmon kind of color, nice head to it. Smell is pretty strong of watermelons, a bit of a fakeness to the odor though. Taste (luckily) isn't as as heavy in the watermelon flavor, and is light bodied with a decent mouthfeel. Finishes very dry, which hurts this beer a lot. Taste is pretty good and interesting but after you swallow you feel like you need to drink some water to get saliva back in your mouth. If it wasn't for this awkward finish I'd give it pretty good marks but that kinda kills it.... Good to try as a novelty thing but I can't see buying a six pack of this.

3.61/5  rDev +17.2%

I didn't really want to buy this but the guy at the Liquor store talked me into it. Plus it's from Thomas Hooker, so it can't be that bad, right?

A: Light copper brew, with decent frothy head that quickly subsided. Very little lacing.

S: Holy Watermelon! Huge watermelon nose from the moment you open the bottle. Like someone already mentioned, it's smells like liquid jolly ranchers.

T: Thankfully, the watermelon flavor isn't as strong as the smell. You get some light watermelon up front, then some grassy, bready notes, with a nice hoppy finish. The beer seems nicely balanced, and was not nearly as sweet as I was expecting.

M&D: Moderate carbonation, very light mouthfeel. I generally don't like fruit beers, and was skeptical of this, but it's not bad. Not something I would drink regularly, but it's worth a try.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a nice golden copper color, not much head.
The aroma hits you over the head, big artificial watermelon aroma. Smells like the watermelon gum I used to chew as a kid. Its not offensive, just a really sweet smell. Initial sip is watermelon, then you get a little of the beer, a little wheat and malt. Almost like chewing watermelon gum and drinking a summer wheat. Not really a great taste. Mouthfeel is is ok. Little artificial aftertaste. I am sure you could drink plenty of these if you liked the taste. For me, I'll pass on this one. Just not a good combination.

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance: Very nice color, a light goldish copper tone, nice billowing head tends to thin out a bit, nice lacing down the glass as well.

Smell: Wow, as soon as I cracked open the bottle the watermelon flavor ramsacked my nostrils, a bit artificial like but very close to the real thing. Nothing much else here, except that huge wallop of watermelon.

Taste: The watermelon is obviously here, yet it isn't as appetizing as I thought it would be, this is almost like a liquid jolly rancher, the taste of the watermelon is a bit fake and sour but I give Hooker credit for at least trying to take a stab at this. Watermelon flavoring wears off to a bit of grassy/wheat elements in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light to say the least, carbonation isn't too high, and bitterness is tart yet not a huge factor.

Drinkability: For novelty sakes, I'm glad I had the pleasure of at least trying this, I didn't want to go all in and buy a sixer of this and end up hating it, so Ray down at Valley Wine & Liqour in Waterbury gave me a 12oz to try. It could be refreshing to a certain beer drinker but I can't see having more then 2 in a sitting. The flavors are a bit fake and too extreme to be casually enjoyed. If you see it in single bottles, give it a whirl, if not, save your money and move on.

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear apricot colored with streams of fine bubbles rising up to a bright white head of foam that quickly sizzles away.

Sweet aroma of some bready malt and yeastiness and a heavy dose of Jolly Rancher.

Very faint flavor, watery, notes of watermelon rind and grass, some floral highlights. Not too complex.

Thin and watery mouthfeel, but tingly in the finish.

Low drinkability for me, I suppose there are some people who would love this, and it probably serves a purpose and a market, but not for me.

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

I liked this more than I thought I would. Im so ashamed. Last year people were raving about it on draft. Its in bottles now. So I had to try one to see for myself. It was refreshing. Yes its made for non beer drinkers but not all sweet like the malternitives. Perfect for a hot day- outside - drinking from a big red cup. I gotta go drink something real quick. If only it wasnt 9am.

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%

Has a nice golden color to it, looks like a great summer brew. A decent sized frothy white head. Smells exactly like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, I'm sure they hear that a lot. Can pick up on some citrus, but the artificial watermelon is really overpowering. Tastes is pretty crisp, some hop taste to it, very refreshing but an in-your-face watermelon aftertaste takes a bit away from the overall taste of the beer.

I couldn't have more than a pint of this, just because of the extreme watermelon taste. I'm sure this would be an absolute hit for a non-beer drinker too.

3.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Served on-tap at the Thomas Hooker Brewery in Bloomfield, Conn. in a Hooker pint glass.

A: Poured a pinkish, copper amber color with a very thin head of carbonation. Not much action going on in the brew, and the retention was pretty poor.

S: You will definitely get a big, sweet noseful of watermelon. Outside of that, some light herbal hops and bready notes can be detected, but the watermelon masks it almost completely.

T: Taste, surprisingly, did not reflect the aroma. Not entirely, anyway. Definitely a watermelon flavor, but more candied, like a Jolly Rancher. There's some slight citric bitterness and crisp, malty flavors, but mainly, just a slick, sweet, candied watermelon flavor.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little sticky because of the unnatural nature of the watermelon extract.

D: I suppose it'd taste better in the summer months, but even then, this brew doesn't have the drinkability to be a good beer. If the flavor doesn't get to you, then the powerful watermelon aroma probably will. I'd pass on getting this one again.

I was told at the brewery they started with the blonde ale as a base, then added watermelon extract during conditioning, therefore changing the flavor, look and smell. It's interesting, but way more artificial watermelon flavor than I'd ever want.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company