Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.

(Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008)
3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Clear pale straw color. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Strong watermelon nose and flavor is almost sour watermelon. $2.99 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Marlboro, MA.

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.98/5  rDev +30.1%

On tap at Paradise by the Slice
review from notes
drank on Friday June 21st 2013
Served in a pint glass, it has a gold color body with no head to it. The aroma was of sweet watermelon and wheat. The taste was sweet but not overpowering. Very nice watermelon flavor and the wheat came through on the finish. The mouthfeel was light. Over all i really liked this beer, quite refreshing.

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

3.53/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I CAN't believe what a fruity afternoon it has become! I just reviewed a Pineapple Hefeweizen for The CANQuest (TM) and now I am moving onto Watermelon Ale. SMH.

From the CAN: "Seasonal Release"; "Strangely Refreshing"; "This crisp and tasty Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a refreshing, thirst-quenching brew. Sure to become a Summertime favorite!"

I had forgotten just how much I miss the auditory aspect of the Crack! during my CAN hiatus. I have said repeatedly that one reason for the inverted Glug is the creation of head and the release of esters. In this case, I had three-plus fingers of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention that actually produced sticky lacing as it fell. Color was a Pale-Straw (SRM = 1- 2) with NE-quality clarity and I again found myself thinking about a beer that is lighter on the way in than on the way out. Speaking of esters, it was redolent with watermelon in terms of its nose. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery(melon). The taste was definitely watermelon, and while it was clearly not artificially flavored, it just seemed awfully strange. Finish was semi-dry, quite refreshing, and a good Summer beer. I thought that one was plenty, but there are lots of people who really dig fruit beers. As such, YMMV.

My original bottle review follows, date unknown.

I really like it when Hookers have watermelons! Let's get to the verbiage so that I can continue this further.

From the bottle: "More than a mouthful"; "Strangely refreshing"; "Ale with Natural Watermelon flavor".

There is a school of thought that says that more than a mouthful is a waste, but it all depends on what one is trying to accomplish, especially with a Hooker. I always feel refreshed after some strange and watermelons can go a long way towards a good time.

Right after my cap popped, I went with an aggressive pour so as to get my money's worth. I promise to be more gentle after this. I had a finger of bone-white head with excellent retention and the hazy, fizzy lemon-yellow color of the beer put me in mind of a silhouette of a lemon meringue pie. Nose really smelled like watermelon, not Jolly Rancher chemically-produced esters watermelon! I should not laugh, but I just could not help it. This is amusing in its strangeness. Mouthfeel was soft and the watermelon flavor was not as in-your-face as the nose had led me to expect. Instead, it seemed to be tempered by a biscuit malt taste which was the right way to go. This could have been way too sweet for enjoyment, but instead, it took on a light bitterness at the finish, reminiscent of biting too deeply and getting a taste of white rind instead of pink flesh. I liked it, but I am more inclined towards other fruit, so one was probably enough. Tasty, sure, but more of a novelty than something to sustain me.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company