Thomas Hooker Nor'Easter Lager - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

awful

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

Brewed to celebrate Winter in New England, Nor'Easter Lager possesses a Hearty Malt flavor delicately accented by mild winter spices.

(Beer added by: Boto on 11-29-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thomas Hooker Nor'Easter Lager Alström Bros

newenglandontap, Dec 21, 2011

jw1978, Jan 18, 2014
1.15/5  rDev -65.2%

I usually take a whiff of my beers as soon as I pop the cap off the bottle....this time I was smacked upside the dome with an aroma of rotten apples that were left out in the hot summer sun; fermenting in their own slimy filth. Ugh, WTF is going on here?! Have I been duped?!

Upon closer inspection of the bottle: "Lager with artificial flavor" ...huh?! I wish I had seen that lil subtitle before purchasing this. It all makes a bit more sense now.

I guess I'll pout the contents and give it a shot. What the hell, right? I work pretty hard for my money. It pours a cloudy amber color with minimal head or retention. Smells like hard cider produced from pressed rotten apples. The aroma doesn't even resemble beer at all. Flavor takes a detour into artificial territory with the finish. Starts off with a hard cider taste along with sour notes and then melds into a weird artificial caramel candy apple flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty watered down. Not much body to speak of. I think the statements I made above can clue you in on the drinkability factor.

Thomas Hooker brewery hardly ever disappoints me but they have truly struck out with this offering. This "beer" presents us with a whole 'nother level of putrid. How is this rated a B? How can anyone drink this shit with a straight face?! "A Winter Embracing Brew" my ass. More like an appropriate substitute for Drano. Pardon me while I go pour this down my slow draining bathtub drain. I'll post the results.

Doomcifer, Jan 21, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

JKV96, Dec 01, 2013
1.33/5  rDev -59.7%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

"Lager With Artificial Flavor" YIKES!!!

Clear and tawny with a nice looking head on top. Perfume-like cinnamon toothpaste, brown apples pulp, faint alcoholic esters and some graininess in the nose ... not too pleasing. Some smoothness in the medium body. Hint of caramel from the malt the this odd artificial flavor drops on the palate and knocks the beer off kilter ... a chore to get past. With each sip it becomes more annoying to the point of being undrinkable.

Seriously ... is there a need to add this garbage to beer? Pass on this one, there are too many other winter seasonals that are better or at least drinkable.

Jason, Jan 04, 2011
1.38/5  rDev -58.2%

Time to get tough. Fridge needs clearing. More winter warmers.

Hazed, Vienna lager-sorta color. Inch of insecure cream-colored head.

Smell is a sharp, soured & browned. Thick with sticky malt & sprinkled with bitter nutmeg. Smells like an infection, except I can't tell if just the additives at work.

First off, feel is nearly flat. Frothy & thin. Tangy, lightly honeyed, bit limey, tea-ish. Empty spices, flat grain finish. Bit of whiskey. A flat score of "1" is reserved for beers that actually make you nauseous, while this was just misshapen.

...And here comes the headache.

PEBKAC, Jan 29, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -55.2%

A: shiny faint amber, zero head, no lacing

S: cinnamon, caramel, hint of apple
and then big vegetable nose...odd.

T: mild sweet cinnamon, caramel, light malt,
then sour/mild bitter vegetable finish

M: light/med body, semi-dry mouth

O: I'm shocked at this beer.
like this brewery and style, but
this did not work. Stuck with another
5 more of these beers, rarely have this
feeling of regret.

TERRIBLE, PLEASE AVOID!

BeerLover99, Dec 11, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -54.5%

BGCoon, Jul 02, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

This one poured out as a deep orange color with a cream colored head on top. The retention is completely gone withing a few minutes and there is zero lacing. Very bland looking. The nose is a little spicy with some hints of apple pie or cinnamon. The taste is strong with a spice kick upfront followed by some malt sweetness in the finish. The mouthfeel is decent, nothing too special. Overall the more I drink the more I don't care for it. I got this in a mixed case from a friend and pretty glad there is only one bottle to get through. I wouldn't seek this one out again.

Knapp85, Jan 07, 2013

blknikon, Nov 16, 2011

chrispoint, Jun 01, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber color with about two fingers of beige head. Keeps a thin lace, thicker around the rim, with a splash of stick here and there.

Smell has a buttery caramel sweetness to it, along with some hints of chocolate and a bit of a nondescript spice component. Gets even more buttery as it warms, like butterscotch to some extent.

The nose did not prepare me for the overwhelming butterscotch flavor that the first sip let loose on my tongue. Overwhelming and unpleasant. Butterscotch is never a flavor I enjoy from beer and this is particularly bad. It overwhelms anything else that might be there, is sweet to nearly sickening proportions and is just plain bad.

Mouthfeel - and I'm trying to be generous here - is pretty creamy but is sticky sweet. It's medium bodied and the carbonation is fine, but that butterscotchy sweetness is hard to wipe from the mouth.

Ugh, I'm not pleased that I bought a 6 pack of this. Lager with spices sounded interesting, but if the word butterscotch had appeared on the label it still could not have prepared me for this sickening butterscotch sweetness. I did not enjoy this at all.

number1bum, Dec 21, 2010

OBIrish24, Dec 27, 2011

grahuba, Mar 02, 2014

balinor, Jan 28, 2014

rsant, Feb 02, 2012
2.66/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance is hazel with a light cream colored head that leaves almost immediately after a pour. The taste is interesting with a lot of the apple spices they use in the beginning but the end is a little bland while still leaving a lingering aftertaste. The mouthfeel was a more flat than I was expecting. An interesting idea, but overall a pretty boring beer in the end.

WhiteHillsStore, Mar 05, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -17.3%

Always cautious about the artificial addition of flavors, see how this pans out.

A- Hazy brown with a fizzy white cap that has poor retention. A cloud and ring stay behind and leave some sticky suds but only a few spots of lace.

S- The first impression is sour apple/cider with a caramel over tone. A spice/raisin feel in the background.

T- Might be the artificial flavoring, there is a tart apple feel to this one. Caramel and light spice are in the backdrop. Slight banana, clove and raisin. Yeast bread.

MF- Lighter body with the aforementioned sour punch. Carbonation is on the high side.

DB- I can't tell if this is infection or just a strange concoction. Each sip brings on more of a sour punch but it doesn't totally remind me of bottles with lactic infections I have experienced. I will have to give this another shot but will keep this here for reference.

cbutova, Jan 10, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle consumed at our Christmas in July tasting this past weekend. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very thin white head and a spot or two of lacing. The nose brings forward some light grain and a bit of fruit. There's some light grain to both the nose and flavor, but then quite a bit of oxidation comes into the flavor. Mild sherry and fruit throughout. Light body and moderate carbonation. Nothing too offensive, but not very tasty either.

Thorpe429, Jul 19, 2011

zestar, Aug 13, 2014

griffey123, May 06, 2012

jsboates, Mar 11, 2012

cortez, Sep 12, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -15.2%

A : a dark amber color. Good light head, tan in color, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S : no hop scent, but has a subtle bit of winter spices. A bit of toasted malt also.

T : bland. This beer smelled like it was going to be packed with flavor, but it was very short on taste, with a hint of spice and a little roasted malt towards the end.

M : carbonation is perfect.

D : This lager is quite drinkable, although based on the lack of flavor and complexity I won't be trying it again.

Although the beer looked and smelled spot on for the style, the lack of flavor really was disappointing. Maybe it is the artificial flavors added, maybe it is better out of the bottle. Whatever it may be, I'd give this one a big thumbs down. Til next time TH...

Thads324, Mar 16, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -14.2%

Grabbed a bottle at Euro Market. The bottle date says it's about 3 months old. Well, the spice certainly hasn't died down here. It reminds me of the same spice profile of Southern Tier Pumking, heavy on clove and nutmeg. Unfortunately I think I'm also pulling a light sour note of this from infection.

I gotta say I'm not crazy about this beer. It's all spice and I'm not getting much (or any) barley and hops. There's a little caramel malt as it warms, but the sour lemon is also growing. Pass.

tempest, Feb 05, 2012