Thomas Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Chocolate Truffle StoutThomas Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.10% ABV

Our sweet stout is made in collaboration with Connecticut's favorite chocolatier, Munson's Chocolate. Copious amounts of oat malt produce a silky, full bodied beer laced with hints of roast and chocolate derived from dark malts. Each sip ends with a mild chocolate bitterness from Munson's proprietary cocoa powder, added generously to the brew. To round out this beer, we add several pounds of cocoa nibs at the end of fermentation to provide a fresh chocolate aroma.

(Beer added by: jimmy82063 on 02-05-2012)

Excellent beer, great taste and aroma, good head, no aftertaste.
Excellent with pork, chicken, and especially bacon, as a snack.
great to braise with, and use it with my pork ribs, and pork loin, with my homemade BBQ
sauce, which has a chocolate, chilli, bacon fat and tomatoe base.

So far, my # 1 chocolate beer!

4.78/5  rDev +27.8%

What can I say about a beer of this name.
A:Appearance is a dark chocolate body with a 2 finger creamy fluffed head that stays throughout.

S: The smell is of chocolate milk with a hint of caramel and toffee malts. Really something to look forward to.

T: The taste is out of this world. Roasted, dark chocolate malts are present throughout with a hint of coffee at the end.

O: Overall A perfect chocolate stout, even if it is out of season. Compared to other chocolate beers I have had, this one is on the tops. A great anytime dessert beer!

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%

Poured into a 20oz Northern Brewer Lager Schwilling Glass.

Black. Blacker than a trillion midnights. Tan head lasted longer than expected, some lacing even.

Smells like semi-sweet cocoa. This should be good!

Tastes like chocolate. I've had many beers with chocolate in the name and description but this is one of the best.

Mouthfeel was decent. I was expecting a bit more body, but they can't all be gems.

Great brew! Not sure if I'd want more than one or two in a sitting but definitely something you should try if you like chocolate to any degree.

4.56/5  rDev +21.9%

Who wouldn't want to try something named Chocolate Truffle Stout. That's like having 3 holidays all on the same day!

The color was a really dark brown and almost black with more of a coffee smell than a chocolate smell but it was a bit on the cold side. Either way the smell was pleasant.

It wasn't overly full in my mouth but also wasn't thin which was ok as I like a drinkable stout and not something that kicks me in the face. Smooth may be the right word. I could taste the chocolate both during the drink and during the aftertaste but the coffee seemed to still be there as well. A little mocha love mixed in there for good measure. A bit on the sweet side which I enjoy in a chocolate stout with just enough bitterness to balance it out.

In a new world full of chocolate beers this one stood out for me and I will certainly be back for more!

4.54/5  rDev +21.4%

Super good, great chocolate flavor

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

Ahhh, what could be better than a nice chocolatey stout Hooker? Not much, I know! I first had this a couple weeks ago on tap at the brewery and today my local shop received their first shipment of bottles. I'm excited as it was great on tap. Bought a sixer for$8.99. Very fair. I'm gonna pair this with a slice of canoli cake from Carlos bake shop in Hoboken NJ. The cake boss, Hooker and Munsons chocolate. Wow!

12oz bottle with chocolate brown label with both Hooker and Munsons chocolates printed on. "A Sweet Connecticut Collaboration"

Pours into pint glass a rich deep brown color. Almost black. Very thin head. Some spotty lacing. Looks very inviting.

Smells of milk chocolate right away with some nice roasted malt in the background. The more I inhale its aroma the more predominent the milk chocolate becomes.

Whoa, this tastes fantastic! Smooth creamy milk chocolate with a touch of roasted malt as I begin to swallow. Its sweet but not in an artificial way. This still tastes like beer. There's no alcohol taste whatsoever and is very easy drinking without being thin. The taste it leaves on my tongue between sips is really impressive. Solid chocolate stout. Fresh too with a bottled date of 2/2/12. This beer tastes a lot like Terrapins Moo-Hoo.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Not too thin and not too heavy. Its pretty much perfect for a 5.9% stout. Carbonation is a little on the lower side which benefits this beer for sure.

This is great! A solid chocolate stout from Connecticut! I'm very pleased to see a beer this good come from so close to home! We have Stout Trooper which is a pain to get your hands on but is amazing so to see something Im sure will be a bit more available is encouraging. Now if we could only get some of the breweries who used to distribute here to distribute here again I'd be even more pumped. Its awesome to see CT coming up with some good stuff and I love supporting local breweries but it would be nice to be able to have the option to purchase some founders, Avery, FW etc without driving to New York or MA to get it. Anyways this was great as was the canoli cake! What could be better?? Another Hooker!!!

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

02/20/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Top notch. The bittersweet elements of the chocolate used are fantastic with the sweetness of the stout. Big fan.

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Very fresh bottle dated only days before tasting. (Late February). Poured into a shaped pint glass.

A: Dark dark brown with a dark tan head that hangs around. Nice sticky lace after a few sips.

S: As expected, wonderful aroma of chocolate and roasted, not burnt, malt. Well balanced, no artificial chocolate smell or anything oppressive.

T: Ahhh! The aroma didn't let me down! A very well constructed stout base with a pleasant hint of chocolate aftertaste. There is a great roasted character and noticeable presence of chocolate malt along with the actual chocolate.

M: Silky, well carbonated for the style, not too sticky or too thin either.

O: Overall a great stout... with chocolate. Hooker built a great flavored beer without skimping on the base style. Very drinkable. I was surprised how easy drinking it was. Now that I've tried it alone, I want to try it again pairing it with various foods. Well done!

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Another new brew from Dino! Poured from bottle to pint glass the beer arrives a rich deep brown with a nice 1.5 finger khaki colored head, nice retention and lacing. The nose is rich and powerful: milk chocolate,cocoa, dark chocolate, roasted malt, nice. More approachable than expected. The flavor is more of the same. Likely the richest beer I've ever had! The roast and chocolate blend terrifically with a gentle sweetness and mild bitterness. Creamy and smooth the beer finishes with a lingering milk chocolate flavor. Wee carbonated, very nice. Overall, this is a serious treat! Very enjoyable!

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was right up my alley.

A: pretty much black with a creamy tan head, some nice lacing

S: mmm... chocolaty aroma smells so good

T: wow this beer is delicious. Nice and malty as a stout should be with big chocolate flavor. Nice balance of bitter and sweet.

M: Really creamy and nice, but not quite as thick as I was expecting.

O: This beer was great! I am really into my coffee/chocolate stouts, so this was perfect for me. A nice change from my regular Sierra Nevada stout I usually get. I had only had Hooker's Watermelon Ale (yuckkk), but when I saw that they collaborated with the delicious Munson's chocolatiers, I grabbed a six pack of this, and was found that Hooker can make a great beer. I ended buying 2 more 6 packs (one for the girlfriend for valentine's day) since they were flying off the shelves If you like stout (especially chocolate stouts) then this beer is for you. I hope to see this again next winter.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a little bit of a dark mocha head, some lacing with a deep brownish body.

Smells of milk chocolate or cold 'hot chocolate'. The truffel comes through as it warms. Some British stout like sweetness is there as well.

Tastes like a nice American stout with a shot of real chocolate sauce. The truffel like chocolateness is more present as this warms, the balance improves with temp as well.

Medium bodied, medium carbing, a touch of a clean bitterness keeps this one in check. It's fairly clean in the aftertaste yet some
coco powder remains to keep it interesting.

Overall this is a great beer just in time for the chocolate holiday of the year. This beer is a great new beer from hooker, let's see them keep up with the innovations. I'd buy this again.

$2 a single