Thomas Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout - Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

good

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.10% ABV

Our sweet stout is made in collaboration with Connecticut's favorite chocolatier, Munson's Chocolate. Copious amounts of oat malt produce a silky, full bodied beer laced with hints of roast and chocolate derived from dark malts. Each sip ends with a mild chocolate bitterness from Munson's proprietary cocoa powder, added generously to the brew. To round out this beer, we add several pounds of cocoa nibs at the end of fermentation to provide a fresh chocolate aroma.

(Beer added by: jimmy82063 on 02-05-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »

SmokeyJoesCafe

02-14-2012 15:54:39 | More by SmokeyJoesCafe
Homebrew35

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a little bit of a dark mocha head, some lacing with a deep brownish body.

Smells of milk chocolate or cold 'hot chocolate'. The truffel comes through as it warms. Some British stout like sweetness is there as well.

Tastes like a nice American stout with a shot of real chocolate sauce. The truffel like chocolateness is more present as this warms, the balance improves with temp as well.

Medium bodied, medium carbing, a touch of a clean bitterness keeps this one in check. It's fairly clean in the aftertaste yet some
coco powder remains to keep it interesting.

Overall this is a great beer just in time for the chocolate holiday of the year. This beer is a great new beer from hooker, let's see them keep up with the innovations. I'd buy this again.

$2 a single

02-14-2012 13:57:25 | More by Homebrew35
Beericjb

4.45/5  rDev +19%

This beer was right up my alley.

A: pretty much black with a creamy tan head, some nice lacing

S: mmm... chocolaty aroma smells so good

T: wow this beer is delicious. Nice and malty as a stout should be with big chocolate flavor. Nice balance of bitter and sweet.

M: Really creamy and nice, but not quite as thick as I was expecting.

O: This beer was great! I am really into my coffee/chocolate stouts, so this was perfect for me. A nice change from my regular Sierra Nevada stout I usually get. I had only had Hooker's Watermelon Ale (yuckkk), but when I saw that they collaborated with the delicious Munson's chocolatiers, I grabbed a six pack of this, and was found that Hooker can make a great beer. I ended buying 2 more 6 packs (one for the girlfriend for valentine's day) since they were flying off the shelves If you like stout (especially chocolate stouts) then this beer is for you. I hope to see this again next winter.

02-12-2012 17:36:54 | More by Beericjb
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

02-12-2012 15:30:27 | More by Ineedabeerhere
silentjay

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

pitch black with a smallish mocha head that quickly recedes to a spattering of film, but leaves lots of lacing behind.

Definite bittersweet cocoa aroma, chocolate liqueur, charred malts, a bit of day old coffee.

very chocolaty up front. hershey's syrup, but a bit of bitter cocoa powder. nice balance of bitter and sweet chocolate flavors. some dark roasted coffee and malts. very chocolaty but not too sweet.

a bit thin bodied with subtle carbonation and a slightly sweet finish.

pretty good. I've had much worse chocolate stouts by more highly acclaimed breweries. Good job, Hooker! Make this regularly.

02-12-2012 02:30:03 | More by silentjay
sinstaineddemon

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

much anticipated

A - black, like a moonless night deep in a cave in the heart of mordor black, wells up over two fingers of dark tan chocolate milk head that fades slowly to a thin lacing

S - I'm expecting, um...., chocolate, and yup, dark chocolate, some mocha and malt hints, but supreme chocolate dominates hands down

T - chocolate acid/alcohol flavors up front, definitely resembles a dark chocolate mocha combo. If this were blind, I would guess this was a chocolate/coffee beer and a porter even. Not that the description is inaccurate at all.

M&D - the body is much thinner than I expected, it honestly seems more like a porter to me, or at least porters I have had, It has a mild acidic bite a tasty brew, but not the bomb I had expected. Regardless, a delicious well-brewed beer.

02-12-2012 02:23:42 | More by sinstaineddemon
FatSean

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%

Poured into a 20oz Northern Brewer Lager Schwilling Glass.

Black. Blacker than a trillion midnights. Tan head lasted longer than expected, some lacing even.

Smells like semi-sweet cocoa. This should be good!

Tastes like chocolate. I've had many beers with chocolate in the name and description but this is one of the best.

Mouthfeel was decent. I was expecting a bit more body, but they can't all be gems.

Great brew! Not sure if I'd want more than one or two in a sitting but definitely something you should try if you like chocolate to any degree.

02-12-2012 02:07:28 | More by FatSean
davey101

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

I grew up eating Munson's chocolates so I was really excited to try this collaboration. 12 oz bottle poured into a DFH signature glass. Born on: 02/02/2012

A - Pitch black body with a small light khaki head. Dies down rather quickly and forms some light edging. Moderate amount of lacing. Fairly thin consistency.

S - Incredibly sweet milk chocolate followed by lightly bitter roasted malt. Really great combination. One of the best chocolate notes I've smelled in a stout.

T - Same as the nose. Starts off with rich and sweet milk chocolate which fades into roasty dark malts. The finish is of cocoa powder. This is a very sweet beer, but not in a cloying or overpowering way. Very clean and simple flavor profile which evolves a bit as the beer warms. Mouth feel is a bit thin, but being a lower ABV stout I wasn't expecting motor oil.

O - I went in with high expectations and I have to admit this beer was a success. The body is a bit thin, but the nose and flavors capture the awesomeness that is Munson's chocolates. Its listed as a spring seasonal on Hooker's site so hopefully this will return next year.

02-10-2012 23:01:58 | More by davey101
CTBeerPope

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

Ahhh, what could be better than a nice chocolatey stout Hooker? Not much, I know! I first had this a couple weeks ago on tap at the brewery and today my local shop received their first shipment of bottles. I'm excited as it was great on tap. Bought a sixer for$8.99. Very fair. I'm gonna pair this with a slice of canoli cake from Carlos bake shop in Hoboken NJ. The cake boss, Hooker and Munsons chocolate. Wow!

12oz bottle with chocolate brown label with both Hooker and Munsons chocolates printed on. "A Sweet Connecticut Collaboration"

Pours into pint glass a rich deep brown color. Almost black. Very thin head. Some spotty lacing. Looks very inviting.

Smells of milk chocolate right away with some nice roasted malt in the background. The more I inhale its aroma the more predominent the milk chocolate becomes.

Whoa, this tastes fantastic! Smooth creamy milk chocolate with a touch of roasted malt as I begin to swallow. Its sweet but not in an artificial way. This still tastes like beer. There's no alcohol taste whatsoever and is very easy drinking without being thin. The taste it leaves on my tongue between sips is really impressive. Solid chocolate stout. Fresh too with a bottled date of 2/2/12. This beer tastes a lot like Terrapins Moo-Hoo.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Not too thin and not too heavy. Its pretty much perfect for a 5.9% stout. Carbonation is a little on the lower side which benefits this beer for sure.

This is great! A solid chocolate stout from Connecticut! I'm very pleased to see a beer this good come from so close to home! We have Stout Trooper which is a pain to get your hands on but is amazing so to see something Im sure will be a bit more available is encouraging. Now if we could only get some of the breweries who used to distribute here to distribute here again I'd be even more pumped. Its awesome to see CT coming up with some good stuff and I love supporting local breweries but it would be nice to be able to have the option to purchase some founders, Avery, FW etc without driving to New York or MA to get it. Anyways this was great as was the canoli cake! What could be better?? Another Hooker!!!

02-07-2012 03:40:55 | More by CTBeerPope
Adrianized

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

02-06-2012 07:23:49 | More by Adrianized
jimmy82063

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Wanted to get this straight from the source. Another brand new beer for CT this weekend.

A) Totally black tan head.

S) Chocolate (what else)!

T) Chocolate dominates... this is the reason for this beer. The chocolatier that they utilized is a local CT. one. There is a nice sweetness to this without it being too much of a sugar bomb.

M) Creamy, this is chocolate milk for adults.

O) Great beer which is slighly sneaky on the ABV!

02-05-2012 00:52:05 | More by jimmy82063