Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic AleHitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-06-2004)
2.23/5  rDev -41.3%

Picked this bottle at the local liquor store. A bit pricey for a single 11.2 bottle but it was pay day so I thought I would splurge.

Outside of the bottle the label had brewed in 2002. So that makes this beer 6 years old?

Poured into a snifter glass. Immediately after opening very high carbonation and some got on the floor. The is very carbonated. Maybe because of the age.

I don't know why they call this a pale ale. Didn't really taste like one. It had more of a champagne taste to it. Maybe it was the strain of yeast they used. Couldn't smell the hops as much in this one as compared to other IPA's. It was still very drinkable. However, it was more of a champagne or a Saison style beer

Overall, I enjoyed trying this beer. It had a very unique taste that was new.

Go try one. You wont regret it.

bearcamp, Aug 30, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured into a standard shaker glass

A: Bright amber with a big head that does not go away. Excessive bubbling.

S: Mellow sweetness. Very subdued. Kind of like grandma's closet. That must be the cedar coming out.

T: Sweet nothing up front, followed by light hop bitterness, finished off with an astringent bitter smack. Definite cedar bite.

M: Light. Very light. But ends with a pucker that won't leave the back of the cheeks.

D: One of these is enough for me. Coats the mouth. Won't go away. Water will not get rid of this.

I'm not a big fan of this beer but I don't know if that's because it's a unique style and my first taste of it or because it's not very good. IPA aged in cedar. It' probably just not my style.

gofreaksgo, Aug 26, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

pin, May 22, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

jfcaa193, Feb 05, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottle served at Victoria Gastro Pub (MD)

A - A darker amber pour (for an "IPA"), massive cloud of bubbles in the liquid. One finger head. Thin cloudy white sediment at bottom of bottle.

S - Dank bottle musty smell, odd aromas.

T - Honest to goodness, the first thing I thought after my first sip was "this tastes like root vegetables!". That never really relented, I was thinking a beet or carrot or turnip or some combination of the above.

Sweetens up later to improve to respectable drinking levels, slight citrus (lemon?).

M/D - Weird aftertaste. Odd aroma, nothing like an IPA whatsoever, more like a vegetable ale.

Not sure if making it in cedar casks is the culprit, but something wasn't right. I didn't pick up much cedar, nor IPA flavor and the overall product couldn't rescue this beer no matter the style. I didn't "hate" this beer, but it was a challenge to finish and enjoy.

USCTrojanBrian, May 20, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy overripe peach color with a foamy head that leaves some good lacing

Smell: Spicy, peppery aroma but there is also a tea-like aroma that is not particularly enjoyable

Taste: Starts out with a biscuity, tea-like flavor that closes with an astringent bitterness that has lots of cedar elements to it

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkabilty: An unusual beer that I found rather disagreeable

brentk56, Sep 17, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a cloudy, reddish-tinted dark honey color with a thick film head and great retention.
Smell is sweet, malt, citrus, black pepper & wood.
Taste is...odd. Not bad, but very odd. Malt, wood, hops, alcohol & black pepper/bug spray. Like some shot some Raid into my beer. Very weird but not so stong as to put me off it.
A light body, mediumeffervescence. Hoppy aftertaste with atouch of pepper.
The odd flavor really bitch-slapped me at first. I assume it is from the cedar aging but it took a few moments, and a few sips, to get past that.

PorterLambic, Dec 02, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

kuishinbo_tantei, Aug 10, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Vylo, Jan 06, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is a nose full of hops with quite a bit of wood

T - Is just ok lots of wood in the flavor with decent hops

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - Things just aren't working here for me the wood is too strong that its taking away from the beer instead of adding to it I've like everything else from Hitachino but this one will get passed over by me

armock, Nov 24, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

A: The second the cap was off, the foam came POURING out of the bottle, and I mean pouring. I grabbed my glass and saved as much as I could....then the foam BURST over the sides of my glass. GRRR...

OK, I'm back.

Body is a cloudy tangerine bronze with a bit of sediment. Head was a towering mess of sticky froth but since has died down to a gentler wisp with a nice ring around the glass. Webbing is covering all wides of the glass where the foam once was.

S: A whole lot of cedar on the nose, pungent and sappy. Herbal and floral. Rememiscent of a forest floor after a good rain.

T: Certainly based on an English style. First impression is loads of diacetyl. Next up is the cedar flavor which is dominant above all other flavors. Some sweet bay leaf notes....very floral. The hops show themselves and add more to the piney profile. Very herbal and spicy.

M: Medium bodied with a decent carbonation.

D: Cedar flavor is a bit over the top and won't leave the palate. Didn't care for this beer. Started out on the wrong foot and never really got good.

Westsidethreat, Jul 23, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle says brewed in 2002. I almost believe it because the bottle is quite dusty. Bottle reports 7% abv and oak cask aging.

Appearance: Poured into a ravenhead dimple. I was expecting IPA so I was a bit disappointed with the appearance. Copper-colored. loose two-finger head, composed of big bubbles. Ended up with some pretty big chunks from the krausen in my glass.

yeasty aroma I don't detect any hoppy notes.

Flavor: complex notes of oak, sake, pineapple, brown sugar, yeast. No real notable hop character aroma.

Mouthfeel: is much like unfiltered sake which compliments the complex flavors

Overall I'd say this beer is quite rich and flavorful. If you read the front label and ignore the back, then this is a very nice real ale offering. Trying to label this beer as an IPA is quite dangerous because the style guidelines are written around the American adaptation of this style. I'd say Hitochino's Nest is shooting for one of those neat CAMRA labels on their bottle.

northernbrewer, Mar 28, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -25%

I had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago. It was pale orange colored with an off-white thin head and it smelled wierd, like some exotic incense. I guess it's the cedar which makes it smell and taste this way, but I conclude cedar is not a good flavor in a beer. It tasted like licking a hippie, made me feel a little sick.

It was strange and unique, and I don't really want to try it again.

TurdFurgison, Jun 21, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -24.2%

Served very cold and poured into a tulip. Two fingers of resilient billowing white head formed supported by the glass and lively effervescence. Dull copper colored liquid with visible yeast sediment. The cedar smell is surprisingly obvious and strong. Also smells of grapes, and apples. Taste is tart with cedar and and some finishing hops predominating. Just a hint of malts near the end. A pretty straightforward beer in taste. Dry and light mouthfeel. Interesting beer to try for the cedar, but not really the most pleasing.

daftafne, Mar 31, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -24.2%

Got a bottle of this on Sunday, cracked it open, and wow, smelled like Grandma's house with the cedar chests for keeping the moths out. I am not really much for wood emphasis beers so this one left me kind of ambivalent, but it had an interesting sake aftertaste for me that kept me interested enough to finish it. Not a bad beer, just not a great beer.

BeerDetective, Dec 30, 2008