Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: scottum on 06-27-2004

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Huge, pocketed, pillowy head atop an amber brew, with carbonation bubbling up amongst a fair amount of suspended sediment.

Aroma is familiar yet somewhat unique, with strong yet mellow hops and a dry, cedar element. In the mouth, this beer is big and bubbly, with a tangy hop nectar quality that is very nice. Tart and bitter, it has just enough pucker factor to make you smile.

This is a very enjoyable beer. (416 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

On first tasting Hitchino Nest's JCA I was reeled in by its spiciness, and blown away by its uniqueness! This has got to be one of the most original beers in the world! It's hazy dark amber boddy teems with zesty bubbles beneath a huge head of frothy off-white foam that has amazing staying power and leaves rings of thick, fluffy lace about the glass. The nose is amazingly distinct and cedar-like, but there are other spice aromas in there as well including some nutmeg, a pinch of black pepper, a brush of cinnamon, a sprig of pine, and a spritz of citrusy fruit juice. Wow.... it's really interesting. Once it's settled a bit it's airy in the mouth rather than bristling (as the sight of the bubbling carbonation and rocky head might suggest) with a medium-light body that's slightly dextrinous and moves smoothly across the palate. In the flavor, the spices hit you right upfront; followed by a bit of gently fruity yeastiness (or is that citrusy hop?) and a delicately sweet maltiness that's similar to a glazed doughnut - and wham - there's the dry bitterness as some pine and a slap of cedar re-appear. As the botterness fades from the long finish some more maltiness becomes evident, and some prickly spice appears. It's intriguing and complex, but not particularily drinkable. I prefer the cedar in the nose.... but I guess the two go hand in hand. It's astonishing and mesmerizing in one serving.... let's just leave it at that. (1,439 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours with lots of fizz and foam, almost sparkling like Champagne. The color is a hazy yellow. (I enjoyed this appearance, even though it doesn't match the style.) I swear I could catch a whiff of cedar in the aroma. A fairly fruity ale (I guess that's the English part) with a fairly sharp bitterness accented by the high carbonation. The finish is a bit tart and very dry (this is Japansese after all.) There's an herbal quality that emerges as the beer warms up in the glass. I really like this beer, probably becaue I like hoppy/bitter beers that finish dry. This beer is a fary cry from most English IPAs that I've tasted, but I do like the Japanese take on the style, and the unusual used of cedar for aging instead of oak. (729 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up a bottle of this in Ohio of the weekend. Even though I was warned about excessive carbonation I was not expecting the gusher that I received from this little bottle. The gushing really tests ones patience. Eventually the beer settled down a little yielding an extremely dense white foam head atop a cloudy orange body. Smell has has wood notes which fight for dominance with the hops. Nose is a tad dry as well. I really got a large dose of woody/saltyness from my first few tastes. The saltyness eventually fades away to reveal a very crisp hop bite that ends up being quite refreshing and belies this beer's potency. There's no doubt that this is a very interesting IPA and if it weren't for the carbonation issues I would be sure to pick more of this up. (767 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an uneven beer for my palate.

Pours a wonderful copper tinged brass with some light haze throughout. The head is quite substantial. It is a creamy light brown head that fizzes like hell and sticks to the side of my glass.

Smell is quite cedary along with some citrusy hops. I get more of a really nice and ripe orange from it than grapefruit, however. As it warms, I get more of a sandalwood and black pepper note along with the cedar.

Taste is where this gets spotty. My first few sips had distinct notes of cat piss. These were brief moments that brought back memories of cleaning up my two cats' litter box. Not pleasant. That was detracting enough for me to hesitate before each subsequent sip bracing myself for another shock of cat pee. I've had NZ Sauvignon Blancs before that had this note, but nothing quite this substantial.

As it warms the pee-pee goes away and I get nice bitter hops presented in a unique way that I can appreciate. A little more earthy than other IPAs I've had and I appreciate the brewer's attempt here.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice lively carbonation zings without burning and readies my mouth for another sip. A good zip that cleans.

Drinkability is damaged by the initial cat pee. I'll always be leary of this flavor and will definitely (note proper spelling of the word "definitely." There is no 'a' in the word, please learn to spell this word if you intend to write it. It is a pet peeve of mine. If I've misspelled anything in this review or any other review, it is a typo and not because I don't know how to spell.) be reluctant to try it again. (1,606 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +7.9%

this beer has been the 'staple oddity' in my beer closet- it's available at my local beer store year round and my neighborhood bar keeps it in the cooler at a reasonable price. gets very polar reactions, but i dig it.

pours a nice ipa color with a supercharged foam head. BE CAREFUL or you will make a mess pouring. and when you open it, it will fizz up. smells of cedar and fresh grapefruit. taste experience is great... reminds me of smuttynose ipa with different elements hitting you at different times instead of all at once.

first comes the crisp grapefruit flavor- honey notes. in the back of your mouth, the hop bitterness develops as an aftertaste. what a way to enjoy an ipa- like dissected flavor.

the cedar doesn't bother me at all. except for the floaties- anxious to try this in the large size.. got one in my closet now! (844 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

This one pours with a....whoa...monster head...it erupts in my glass to form a huge white wall atop a nice deep orange liquid. Quite impressive I must say. Putting your nose anywhere near this brew is like taking a walk into a huge cedar forest...you're forced to do a double take as you inhale the spicy woody aromas. There's a bit of mandarin orange citrus...but the cedar runs the show...so intoxicating and unique.

Cedar is upfront as the brew settles down enough for me to drink. Hints of citrus hops and a slight caramel weave in and out with a nice bitterness on the way down. The cedar imparts an overall peppery spiciness to the brew that is enjoyable. A very unique offering and one of the best beers from Japan I've ever tried.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy....nice bubbly carbonation. This is easy drinking and I could easily have a few...however I think I'd get burnt out on the cedar after that. Overall, a very original brew that I highly recommend to one and all! (992 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

This is an interesting and extremely complex beer from my favorite Japanese brewery. Dark golden/amber with a huge head of rocky white foam. Nice lacing as well. Aromas are all over the place, but very nice. Cedar hits hard up front, but you also get pine needles, sap, citrus, hops, pepper, other spices, and more. Taste is spicy and very fruity with a unique peppery fruitiness, and a wood-laden, splinter-like dry finish. Unique. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spritzy, and nice. Drinkability is good, but this could get to be too much for your palate after a couple. As it is, another unique beer from this very solid brewery. (627 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

The beer evacuates the 330ml brown bottle a cloudy copper color with the head portly in size and the texture semi-creamy, the color a winsome light tan, after its demise the lace forms a thick and clinging sheet to circumambient the glass. Nose has a big cedar aroma, spicy and fresh; a different tone for a beer with the start sweet and the rice profile pleasant, top is light to middling in feel. Finish has a delectable hop spiciness and the acidity apropos to the style, once again a treat and certainly, a nice change of pace from the normal run-of-the-mill malt brews I drink, well worth a sample. (603 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Presentation: Squat brown glass bottle, 11.2 fluid ounces (330ml). The usual generic Hitachino presentation, neck and main label. No discernable freshness date, but listed as 7.0% ABV. Described as ‘Japanese Classic Ale’ with some smaller text that states that this is ‘Matured in Cedar Casks’. Cost $3.49.

Appearance: Once the crown cap was removed, the beer frothed out of the top of the bottle before I could even get my Glass ready. Once in the glass the head was reasonably sized at first but soon settled to a more manageable ½” thick creamy white cap covering. Murky hazed peach body, some fine yeast (cedarwood?) particulate ‘floaties’. Golden amber hue when backlit, a gentle swirl reveals immense amounts of dissolved carbonation. Thin, but decent looking lacing covers the glass walls but slowly slides back down into the Glass.

Nose: Lots of spicy hops and fresh Cedarwood in the nose, the latter can be quite pungent at times. My first impressions of this reminded me of a sharp Cider, for it has a stinging dry Apple aroma in the nose.

Taste: Spicy start, hops and cedar wood fill the big front end of this brew. Woody feels with some acidic Apple Cider traits in the middle. Light hint of alcohol in the swallow. Mixes the qualities of a Pale Ale with the Cedar Cask aging quite well, but whilst the Cedar lends a tangy spicy feel, it can be a little too much at times.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy feel on the mouth, finely dissolved carbonation mixes well and releases the Cedar wood with each mouthful. Spicy hops linger in the finish. Solid biting feel to this one.

Drinkability: Above average Drinkability but the continual bitch-slapping by the Cedar wood character tends to detract from the long term appeal for me.

Overall: I just can’t make my mind up on this one…one minute I love it, the next I somehow find it just “too much”. Weird, yet somehow appealing! (1,905 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Thanks to Merlin48 for this brew. What a treat. It pours an amber color with an enormous head that doesn't stay around too long and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma. Wow. Smells like somebody stuck a cedar tree up both nostrils. Unbelievably strong cedar aroma. The flavor was very woody and peppery. Has some nice citrus notes as well. This is a very odd beer. Very odd. Finish is really dry. Thick body. Cedar. Hmm. I like it a lot.

EDIT: I just noticed that it's 7%abv. Incredibly drinkable for that alcohol. Unreal, actually. I never noticed a bit of alcohol because of all the other weird stuff going on in this one. (639 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Thanks to merlin48 and clvand0 for this beer making its way to my home. This head pours about 4 fingers with 2 fingers of beer underneath it. Lets hope ther retention is not so good...but this doesn't look like it will happen. After letting it sit, the head falls to reveal beer underneath it! The nose is actually really awesome. There is nothing but cedar in there. It smells a lot like the soda Squirt, wtih some citrus notes, but some real peppery grapefruit, but not like grapefruit from hops. Damn. I like it, but I don't know why. The flavor is full on wood and black pepper, maybe some ginger. The finish is really dry, leaving my throat wanting some moisture. Wow. I like this beer. The feel is pretty thick as well, letting me know I'm drinking a nice beer. Drinkability is good on this one as well. What a strange beer, but what a good beer. I sure hope I can find this one again. Nice nice beer. (907 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

Very hazy beer, plenty of loose sediment. Pours very lively (gusher?), strongly carbonated with a huge cap of foam. Copper colored and murkey. Aroma is overpowering cedar, spicy and citruicy. Flavor is hoppy with a fruity, acidic bitterness and a sappy wood flavor. Crazy beer. Unique take on an IPA, great beer but I'm not sure I could drink more than a couple. (362 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

This is one funky beer! Had on tap this past week at Redbones. Pour was the color of dark tangerine, with a tan head covering the beer. Aroma is full of fruit, but to be honest, I think one notices the pepper and spice in this one a bit more. Taste is really interesting...starts out a bit sour intitially, then finishes with grapefruit, but minus the hops. It's like it's pure grapefruit juice, not an effect from the type of hops used. Medium mouthfeel, prickly carbonation. I think the initial sourness must be coming from the yeast. A very unique tasting beer. (564 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ruffled some feathers with this one on 10/24/2004. 10.5-oz. pour at Redbones in goblet.

Filmy ghost of skree of head to start. White grapes, sour green apples, and other fruity esters to nose. On the lighter side of a cider appearance to hue, with all of the accompanying haziness. Heated cracked black pepper to taste, which hides the tenuous malt character. Sour rind adds an undeniable puckering quality, and the heat combined with other earthy qualities imparts a tequila feel to the pour. This is a F-U-N-K-Y offering, with touches of karashi thrown in there – I want to see more folks taking chances like this one does. Ganbatte! (639 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

I had this on tap at Redbones. The color was hazy orange. It appeared that it was not or only lightly filtered. It had a full cream colored head with a light lace that maintained throughout the beer. It had a bright fruity nose with a hint of hop flower. The taste was not what I expected. Along with the hops you expect from an IPA, there was a spicy almost peppery taste up front. I couldn’t identify whether a spice had been added or if this was from the hops, but it distracted me from the flavor. In fact this bite from the spice overwhelmed any malt character. I do feel the hops less than taste them. Light mouth feel average drinkability. (647 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Had this on tap at Spuyten Duyvil, but wasn't in a situation to take down notes.
Gushes out into a hazy dark orange brown. Watch out, this one will run all over!

Smells like- cedar! What else?!?! The scent overwhelms the nose but in there you get whiffs of this pepperiness. Of course, I'm one to stick my nose into a bagged garment just to smell that cedar hangar.

Taste is (Well, on tap it had this very citrusy and piny taste so concentrated it kicked all west coast IPA's out of the water, unfortunately, this doesn't carry on over to the bottle) malty like a pale ale giving way to a subtle pepper flarvor and at wood and citrus aftertaste lingering on the palate to give way to what I can only describe as licking cedar. It's there, a dryness of the tongue that just sits there and waits for you to take your next sip.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. Not heavily carbonated despite the misgivings of the gushing bottle. Or perhaps this is why it's less carbonated. I really could drink this all night and keep the bitter dryness of the wonderful cedar lingering on my tongue for a while. Solid drinkability. If I ever end up in Japan, I'm going to knock pints of this like there's no flight out of that floating world. (1,226 characters)

Lots of carbonation huge head on top of a hazy golden amber colored body lots of lacing. Just be careful pouring it. Aroma is good spicey and peppery on top of hops, malty woody earthy smell also but pepper dominates. Taste is good dry malt and cedar powered by intense carbonation tingles the taste buds. Hops, spice and pepper mingle together for nice finish to a good beer. Mouthfeel is good medium lots of bubbles to elevated the spices. Drinkability is good nice tastey beer love the pepper and cedar in my IPA. Don't know how this beer got only a 80 rating this is one everyone should atleast try. (603 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I opened the bottle; it sat. A minute later, it began to bubble over. The slow, big carbonation of this beer forms an interesting, frothy white head atop a hazed melon-orange beer. Aroma is distinctly cedar -- like walking through the woods of northern Michigan -- though some citrus is also discernable.

Fruit bread and some caramel malty sweetness are washed away by a fresh pine and citrus hop bitterness, itself falling victim to cedar. At times, the cedar actually gets lost as part of the pine finish. But at other times, it becomes almost astringent -- a cheek-puckering product to be sure. Drink this while in different moods and at different temps to get the full effect -- the cedar while part of a cohesive beer, and the cedar part as its own raucus, uninvited flavor. Interesting. (795 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

This was a new arrival in Tennessee liquor stores, in Knoxville, and Johnson City. Blurb on label says this was modeled after IPAs brought to Japan, in the 19th century. Aged in cedar casks.
Appearance: Pours a hazed, bright golden body with a Godzilla head that takes up most of the imperial pint glass. Consisting of both tiny and large bubbles, the head took forever to settle down, finally leaving gargantuan clumps of ivory lace all over the glass.

Aroma: Cedar fragrances hit the nose immediately, followed by peppery spices and herbal hops. Very understated, malt sweetness lurks underneath.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, and similar to a hugely hopped, American IPA with a moderate hop bite on the tongue. Cedar presence is also impossible to ignore.

Taste: This tastes much like a hoppy, American IPA, with a chunk of cedar floating in the glass. As it warms, some caramel sweetness creeps into the profile, but the predominant flavor is cedar and peppery hops. Very well put together, overall, but there is a prolonged, cedar aftertaste as if you've been chewing on cedar shavings.

Impression/Drinkability: I enjoyed this one quite a bit. The cedar aging lends a unique character that I've never before experienced. Definitely, this will keep Mothra away! I was not impressed with this brewery's sweet(lacto) stout, but this one is a quality product that is well constructed, in spite of the cedar slapping you in the face. (1,450 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Sedimented (yeast locked in suspension) medium bright brown color. Sparking head only rises to 1/4 of an inch but I poured it in a wide goblet. Laces are ample. Apple aromas, medium tart like Granny Smiths, some astringent tones. Good body, a little heavy, lower carbonation. Solid flavor, a little atypical, with fruit and decided pie spices, including a mace-like bittering and raisiny senses. Well-bittered, quite piney, very noticeable in the aftertaste. To me, the malt was adequate and interesting, but the hoppiness slightly harsh. An interesting take on an IPA derivation, while not suberbly drinkable to me, maybe among my favorite of the Hitachino beers thus far. (673 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Had at the Old Bay in NJ, and the beer menu claims only 4 kegs of this beer was sent to the US. It was hazy orange / amber in color and a short 1/2" head that quickly reduced to a surface covering. The aroma was of malt and yeast. The flavor was nice as a grainy malt was nicely balanced with the mild bitterness level. Yeast was definitely noticeable but only a tiny hint of any citrus tones. The higher alcohol level added slightly to the taste too.

The mouthfeel was grainy. Smooth at the start with a light crispness at the finish. Nicely drinkable, and a slightly different English style IPA. (600 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Snagged this bottle in Boston on May 8th 2004 and drank in Vermont on June 27th 2004.

Pours a lazy hazy hazy amber with a huge thin white head which flows where I don't want it to flow. Tastes nice and hoppy, but well rounded to the malt flavors. Actually this is a very well crafted beer and if it were not for the slight over-carbination problems I would have scored it higher. A solid mellow IPA. (402 characters)

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last